facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Palestinian students regain Fulbright scholarships

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ght/index.html

The US has given teh scholarships back. Originally were cancelled since teh israelis wouldn't let the terrorists, errr, students out of Gaza.

Interesting development as the US realizes where the problem comes from but apparently the israelis can't get beyond punishing all for the actions of a few.

it must be noted that the israeli education minister has supported the palestinain students all along. kudos to him/her.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old June 4, 2008, 08:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Some good news. Can't believe Condy acted so promptly, as if the students were from Israel.
Old June 4, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Some good news. Can't believe Condy acted so promptly, as if the students were from Israel.
maybe someone should send her that memo that they aren't israeli, lol

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
maybe someone should send her that memo that they aren't israeli, lol
sadly, i think someone sent that memo...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...sas/index.html

the students have again lost their scholarships and/or visa and will NOT be allowed in the US to stuy

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

alhamdulillahi rabbil A'lamin...

may Allah punish the wrongdoers...

Great news
Old August 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
sadly, i think someone sent that memo...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...sas/index.html

the students have again lost their scholarships and/or visa and will NOT be allowed in the US to stuy
oops, spoke too soon
Old August 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cricket Sage

very sad story: my Friend Zohair M. Abu shaban can not attend UCONN atm...

Quote:
From Zohair Abu Shaban.

After a very long way of studying, working hard and desiring to progress in my academic career, I lost everything and my future is threatened since I'm deprived from pursuing higher studies.
I graduated at the top of my class at the Electrical Engineering Department in the Islamic University of Gaza. There, I developed an ECG monitoring system that enables patients' hearts to be monitored at home through a personal computer and an internet link. I won the university prize for distinguished projects for my innovation. I long dreamed of the other advances I might make after an education at the University of Connecticut, where I was scheduled to study this fall for a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering. During my undergraduate years, I was working very hard and my eyes were on my goal which is to pursue an academic career and to win more prizes in my field. To accomplish this goal, I should get a master's degree, then a PhD degree.
Upon graduation in June 2007, I worked as a TA in the university and I applied to the prestigious Fulbright Scholarship funded by US state department. The procedure took about 12 months. Unexpectedly, last May the US consulate in Jerusalem told the 7 Fulbighters that the scholarships will not be finalized and the allocated money will be "redirected" because the consulate will not be able to get us out of Gaza. The news of this cancellation went to the media, eventually, the grants were reinstated. The Us State Department and Secretary Rice personally intervened to press Israel to let us travel to Jerusalem to attend the visa interviews. But, 4 out of seven were allowed and unfortunately, I was from the remaining 3. Israel insisted on denying our travel to Jerusalem. So on 10th July, the US Consulate with direction from higher levels in the State Department sent its officials to Erez Crossing to hold visa interviews for us. After three weeks, I got back my passport with an American visa stamped. The consulate told me they were arranging my travel in the near future and hence, I packed my luggage, bought souvenirs for future friends and bade farewell to my relatives and friends. But after two days, I received an extremely disappointing call from AMIDEAST, Fulbright academic organizer for Gaza, saying my visa is cancelled and is no longer valid to enter US. I couldn't believe what I heard! Why is my visa revoked?? How could this happen after all the confidence I put in Fulbright and after all this high-level intervention?? I don't have a clue! I asked for reasons or justification…but nothing is given. Three weeks have gone, and I didn't hear anything from them but media said that our visas were revoked on security and related backgrounds.
It's deadly disappointing that after a long struggle to get scholarships for studying abroad at excellent schools and declining all other opportunities, a man finds himself left at home even without a job to get by. And, he has to forcedly change his dreams and plans. I'm seriously afraid that my visa revocation will affect my visa application to other countries in the future, UK for example .
I hope this story will find its path to someone who cares and helps me practicing my right to access to education and get my dreams real.
Thank you so much!