facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 22, 2004, 07:51 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Default has BD batting worsened in the last 4 years

in asia cup 2000, bd scored 249 v ind batting whole 50 overs

this time, bd managed only 177 and could bat 49.1 overs.

bd must learn to bat full 50 overs 1st before aiming for 250-300 in the whole 50 overs.

Old July 22, 2004, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I don't think the batting has worsened. There have been improvements here and there, and the opposite in other areas. The net result has been the same, which means that we haven't improved at atll in the last couple of years, neither has our batting worsened.
Old July 22, 2004, 08:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Amit;

Your sense of logic is quite perplexing. Look at what Pakistan did against Sri Lanka. Do you suppose their batting has deteriorated?

g.
Old July 22, 2004, 09:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

I don't think our batting has 'worsened' just that there is a lot more pressure on the guys know after all those batting failures.

CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY
Old July 22, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I might sound a bit funny here but I reckon that our batting has improved considerably in tests and worsened quite a bit in ODIs…We have lost players like Akram, Bulbul, Athar, Opee and Biddut (He is still on a come-back process)….Without any sort of disrespect to our current bunch of batters I honestly feel that those batters were far better ODI players…Look at the number of matches the current players are playing and still they can’t perform the minimum..!!!!...Our old batters were far consistent even though they hardly got the opportunity of playing so frequently at the international level…Simply becuz they were better batters..! Anyone who saw Athar Ali Khan perform at international level would know what a magnificent stroke player he was at the top of the order…He was fearless and more importantly consistent unlike the current openers…Opee was equally talented and for some reason he finds himself out of the team..!!...With Akram and Bulbul in the team we had players who could work the ones and twos which is such a vital part of ODIs…This current BD team batters just don’t know the importance of ones and twos and rotating the strike!…They just don’t know wow to build an innings…All they do is block four balls and try to hit a boundary of the rest two and get out in the process…..THAT IS NOT ONE DAY CRICKET FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD !!!!.....With the same attitude though they seem to do much better in test matches…..One can see that we really do have a high percentage of boundaries in tests now-a-days….In tests other teams are attacking all the time and there are hardly any fielders in the deep and that works to our advantage….The problem is we try to play the same way in ODIs as well….It is unbelievable but the truth is we are a better test side and we still don’t know how to play one day cricket……I would have loved too see the combination of our old batters and current bowlers….Would have made a very decent team indeed……This entirely my opinion…I understand most of u would not feel the same way….Take care ppl…
Old July 22, 2004, 09:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Your assesment isn't funny at all, on the contrary, you are quite correct. The last generation was much better at playing one day games. I can't compare them in test matches with the current bunch since they never played tests. The current lot are talented no doubt, but lack understanding and nuances of ODI. They don't or can't rotate strikes, and the subsequent pressure translates into hasty shots. They almost always let the opposing bowlers dictate the tempo and play to the fielders set for them. We have been using so many different combinations for our batting line up. But, nothing seems to be working. It must be frustrating for the coaches, players and fans..
Old July 22, 2004, 10:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

India used to win against SL....but watching the situation last week.....hmmm.....I think India's batiing is getting worse. (assumption calculated according to Sir Amit's law of insanity)

Prohor
Old July 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

Bangladesh's Batting improved both in Test and ODI. Just give them a little bit more time and let them work on the mental part of the game. They have skill now they just have to start believing that they can also win and play like a winner. I bet Dav is working on their mental part than anything else.
Old July 23, 2004, 01:49 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

although BD bowling has improved considerably since 2000 with the emergence of good left-arm spinners like rafique, rana, razzak, enamul jr, but it is still the batting which is throwing up problems.

since 2001, BD have not hit any 250+ scores in ODIs despite even batting 1st against HK in this asia cup. BD could manage only 221, which is poor considering HK level of cricket. only once since 2001, has BD managed a 240+ score, 244/9 v pak in the 5th ODI at karachi, but then that was a 300+ pitch.

none of the current BD players have any centuries and none of the BD batsman average over 30 (except rana, but he hasnt played too many ODIs). even a player like ashraful averages only around 15 in ODIs.

BD, generally struggle to even bat the full 50 overs out and score a 200+ score. last year, BD couldnt even manage a single 200+ score against eng in the 3 ODIs, however, being a test team, BD should make 250+ scores regularly. BD has won just once chasing and that was way back in 1998 and that too against kenya. despite being set a few <250 targets, BD couldnt beat any test playing nation chasing a target.

however, i agree fully with shehwar.