facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 2, 2007, 10:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default gadzooks ... someone has been dumped ...

and our man Arnab is either the dumper or dumpee ... How else does one explain this veritable gusher of posts from the guy ... And we aren't talking the "Should so-and-so be dropped" or "He's the greatest thing since sliced bread" one liners that are in vogue here either. Heck some of them are Vlad-mamu-esque

Arnab don't you have some Federer matches to watch? Anyway, good stuff, keep it up.

Old July 2, 2007, 10:33 PM
Cricket Legend

No, no, Arnab is just showing some solidarity with Rushdie, the most recent dumpee.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
and our man Arnab is either the dumper or dumpee ... How else does one explain this veritable gusher of posts from the guy ... And we aren't talking the "Should so-and-so be dropped" or "He's the greatest thing since sliced bread" one liners that are in vogue here either. Heck some of them are Vlad-mamu-esque
You're telling me you don't miss Arnab's atlami already?

It's been a while, hasn't it? Remember the thread on the nooks and crannies of cricket jargon, or his active FC days back in 03/04? Looks like he's had a stable relationship since, or rather until now.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
Cricket Legend

You're all just jealous.

Federer took a raincheck. His matches got postponed because of rain.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ

Arnab don't you have some Federer matches to watch? Anyway, good stuff, keep it up.
Razab bhai, is dumpee actually a word or something you invented especially for Arnab bhai ? Whatever the case I am guessing he is the "dumpee"
Old July 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
No, no, Arnab is just showing some solidarity with Rushdie, the most recent dumpee.
Hahah ... good one!

Knighthood in, pretty woman out. A bizarre connection.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Hahah ... good one!

Knighthood in, pretty woman out. A bizarre connection.
You got it wrong. Rushdie needs motivation to write his next award winning masterpiece. What's a pretty woman in all of this? They're a dime a dozen.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:47 PM

Strange occurrences indeed. Considering this, Arnab seems to have quite some ground left to cover in returning to his old self.

But as mentioned in the tutor thread.... Arnab's upto something!
Old July 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Strange occurrences indeed. Considering this, Arnab seems to have quite some ground left to cover in returning to his old self.

But as mentioned in the tutor thread.... Arnab's upto something!
Consider this.

But, it is pretty obvious what he is up to in the tutor thread - making fun of people who seem to be trying to rush to the front of the queue name dropping schools for the "elite". Hidden beneath their purported nostalgia, I seem to feel some preening going on.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
You got it wrong. Rushdie needs motivation to write his next award winning masterpiece. What's a pretty woman in all of this? They're a dime a dozen.
Well, there was a stand-in for Padma in Rushdie's Fury (had the same scar too, if I remember correctly). And given that I didn't think Fury was that good, perhaps a change in his love life might actually have a beneficial effect on his writing.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
But, it is pretty obvious what he is up to in the tutor thread - making fun of people who seem to be trying to rush to the front of the queue name dropping schools for the "elite". Hidden beneath their purported nostalgia, I seem to feel some preening going on.
That was just spontaneous leg-pulling, actually.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That was just spontaneous leg-pulling, actually.
Yeah, but I too went to the same school you did. My college was different - Uttar Bashabo Grammar College..
Old July 2, 2007, 11:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yeah, but I too went to the same school you did. My college was different - Uttar Bashabo Grammar College..
That college rocked actually. We tried our best to copy you guys, but couldn't pull it off...hard to do that when you are in freaking Gaibandha.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
That college rocked actually. We tried our best to copy you guys, but couldn't pull it off...hard to do that when you are in freaking Gaibandha.
Good old arrogance and condescension personified... or maybe its sarcasm green. Good to see you in your element again.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Good old arrogance and condescension personified... or maybe its sarcasm green. Good to see you in your element again.
??

Read my post in the other thread for context. I am not sure you got it.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
??

Read my post in the other thread for context. I am not sure you got it.
point taken actually. But my post was out of context. I should stop here. I feel it'll kill the thread.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Thats a pretty shallow way of looking at that particular topic. I dont think there is any credit in flaunting your school because of it's eliteness. People can like their schools for the simple fact that they cherish the teachings they obtained, academic and otherwise and also for other relevant reasons. There is no harm in being proud of your school. If that calls for ridicule then Ivy leaguers flaunting their university should be too. I can loudly say I am proud of both my school and university albeit the fact that one of them is not known as a famous institution but that has no bearing on my opinion on my educational institutions.

I really find it disappointing when people diss schools back home for all the wrong reasons. Initially when private universities were opened in Bangladesh they were looked down upon by certain sections who termed it as university for the rich kids who failed to get admitted in the public universities( which I found ridiculous). If you look at the job market(in BD) now and compare the curriculums in public and private universities it will be obvious that a few good private institutions are surging ahead in terms of both reputation and popularity. More and more private university graudates are landing great career jobs at Citi group, BAT etc. I name these two because I personally know of few people who are working at these places having graduated from private institutions. Knowing some recruiters in the corporate arena in Bangladesh I also know that some of them prefer certain private university graduates compared to public ones.
I guess my post went way off topic even in terms of the reply. A full stop here is necessary.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Layperson - there is a difference between an elite school and a school for the elite. I am damned proud of all the institutions of learning I went to. And will battle my most recent alma mater's mascot, the frighting fighitng blue hens with any of y'alls. I, however, like how subtlely alumni of my wife's school do it - "I went to school in cambridge" - quite subtle but quite obvious - unlike how their rivals the Yallies did it.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
point taken actually. But my post was out of context. I should stop here. I feel it'll kill the thread.
I am not sure anything is in context in this thread - most particularly the starting post by Razab.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Layperson - there is a difference between an elite school and a school for the elite. I am damned proud of all the institutions of learning I went to. And will battle my most recent alma mater's mascot, the frighting fighitng blue hens with any of y'alls. I, however, like how subtlely alumni of my wife's school do it - "I went to school in cambridge" - quite subtle but quite obvious - unlike how their rivals the Yallies did it.
So which one was it? MIT or Hah-vard? Or is that secret too?
Old July 3, 2007, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So which one was it? MIT or Hah-vard? Or is that secret too?
Name drop alert. Her adviser was Howard Gardner.
Old July 3, 2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Of course... inventor of the wheel. Marvellous fellow.

Seriously Dr.Z, my mum would be more familiar with that individual than me. You prompted a google search at my end!
Old July 3, 2007, 12:39 AM
BC Editorial Team

since we are now dropping names, my wife too went to one of those unis in cambridge ... While I'm proud of our mascot - Oski the bear ...
Old July 3, 2007, 12:40 AM
BC Editorial Team

Frankly ... I didn't find any elitism in that tutor thread ... unless govt lab is considered elite
Old July 3, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Multiple intelligence chap, na?