facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 24, 2007, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me
Default ancient artefacts from bengal displayed in paris - what do you think?

i read the daily star article below and wondered what you think. surely these items are not being sent away permanently?

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/...7240702110.htm

Old July 24, 2007, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Nothing in the article suggests that the items are being sent away permanently. And it's a common practice for museums to temporarily loan items to other museums. Is there any particular reason for the RU faculty to believe that the items will not be returned or are they protesting because that's just our national pastime?
Old July 24, 2007, 10:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
.....or are they protesting because that's just our national pastime?
haha.... its probably just this.....
Old July 24, 2007, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Nothing in the article suggests that the items are being sent away permanently. And it's a common practice for museums to temporarily loan items to other museums. Is there any particular reason for the RU faculty to believe that the items will not be returned or are they protesting because that's just our national pastime?
i wonder if it is something a little more sinister and perhaps religiously motivated. the artefacts are all buddist or of hindu origin. perhaps the islamic professors want to give the impression that they are tolerant of other religious beliefs in bangladesh?!?
Old July 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
i wonder if it is something a little more sinister and perhaps religiously motivated. the artefacts are all buddist or of hindu origin. perhaps the islamic professors want to give the impression that they are tolerant of other religious beliefs in bangladesh?!?
So because a Muslim is arranging it and not a Hindu or Buddhist, it must be a sinister ploy to give the illusion of religious tolerance in Bangladesh?

Quote:
Dr Sultan Ahmed, a senior teacher of Islamic History and Culture department at Rajshahi University, in an appeal published yesterday in local Bengali daily Sonali Sangbad said the selected BRM treasures are of great historic and archeological value and these should not be sent abroad.
Let me guess, this guy doesn't want these artefacts to be sent abroad because he's a Muslim and a teacher of "Islamic History and Culture" department, therefore it must be sinister too?

The way I see it, they are sending those artefacts to increase "global exposure" of Bangladesh. The buddhist/hindu temples/ruins where the artefacts were found are some of the biggest, most precious archaeological sites in our country and we don't get to promote them enough by visiting tourists alone. So this "four-month exhibition" seems like a great way to promote our ancient history. Nothing in the article suggests they won't be returned, but there's always a possibility like our Islamic professor fears. Therefore it's important that necessary agreements are made with the museum and the French gov't to ensure their safe and timely return.
Old July 24, 2007, 02:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
So because a Muslim is arranging it and not a Hindu or Buddhist, it must be a sinister ploy to give the illusion of religious tolerance in Bangladesh?

Let me guess, this guy doesn't want these artefacts to be sent abroad because he's a Muslim and a teacher of "Islamic History and Culture" department, therefore it must be sinister too?
i didn't read anything about any muslim or hindu individuals organising the loan. the protest was by an islamic history tutor. i personally don't see any logical grounds for his protestations. so the only grounds that i could think of was that he didn't want the buddist/hindu part of bangladeshi history to receive general overseas attention.
Old July 24, 2007, 03:02 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
i didn't read anything about any muslim or hindu individuals organising the loan. the protest was by an islamic history tutor. i personally don't see any logical grounds for his protestations.

Quote:
perhaps the islamic professors want to give the impression that they are tolerant of other religious beliefs in bangladesh?!?
Read your post again. That's what you said. You didn't say anything about protesting. When I read it, it sounds like you think they are loaning the artefacts to give the impression of being tolerant of other religions. If you said they are protesting for whatever reason, there must be a sinister ploy, and that would clearly not be giving the "impression that they are tolerant of other religious beliefs in bangladesh".

Quote:
so the only grounds that i could think of was that he didn't want the buddist/hindu part of bangladeshi history to receive general overseas attention.
That's what you're saying now. I hope you can see why that is inconsistent with your previous statement. I don't see how they can try to give an impression of being religiously tolerant by loaning these artefacts and protest against it at the same time.
Old July 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Read your post again. That's what you said. You didn't say anything about protesting. When I read it, it sounds like you think they are loaning the artefacts to give the impression of being tolerant of other religions. If you said they are protesting for whatever reason, there must be a sinister ploy, and that would clearly not be giving the "impression that they are tolerant of other religious beliefs in bangladesh".

That's what you're saying now. I hope you can see why that is inconsistent with your previous statement. I don't see how they can try to give an impression of being religiously tolerant by loaning these artefacts and protest against it at the same time.
you are just wrong!

my interpretation of the article was that the government is trying to raise awareness of bangladesh in the international community as possessing an ancient and glorious past.

since the period covering this past (pre 12th century) is based on non-muslim cultures and its achiements, the tutor of islamic history had protested with a latent intention of curbing the influence of non-muslim historicism when defining our ancient culture. i see his actions as a sign of latent prejudice towards all things nonmuslim.