facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Default Your first "international" cricket match

What was the first international cricket match you saw live in a stadium? I use the term 'international' very loosely as you can see from my first. I was 13 and this was my first match of any kind at a stadium. My uncle, who is a cricket fanatic took me to watch the game, when we were visiting them in Rajshahi on a vacation trip back to Bangladesh. I watched parts of day 2 and 3.

That began my love affair with cricket. My wife refers to cricket as my other woman.

Jan 3, 1979 - Bangladesh v Marylebone Cricket Club

Cannot find the scorecards anywhere. WIndian Conrad Hunte scored a 1/2 century or so and Lintu had a pfeiffer.

This is the scorecard as available today:

Date-stamped : 18 Oct1998 - 10:38
MCC in Bangladesh, 1978-79
Bangladesh XI v MCC
Rajshahi
3,4,5 January 1979 (3-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss:
Umpires:

MCC: 247
(JA Jameson 59, BL Reed 48, CC Hunte 38, S Dyson 33;
Nazrul Kader Lintu 5-70, Yousuf Babu 3-36)

Bangladesh XI: 173
(Omar Khalid Rumi 33, Ziul Islam Masood 33;
PJ Lewington 3-23)

MCC: 114/1d
(CC Hunte 55*, K Taylor 35)

Bangladesh XI: 104/2
(Omar Khalid Rumi 35)

Contributed by Louis van Dompselaar (louis@cricinfo.com)

Last edited by Zunaid; July 9, 2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old July 9, 2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

It was 1997. I was about 2/3 years old. Was living in madaripur then, didn't movie to Dhaka till i was about 5. And the match was India vs Pakistan! Now i know u might think that im lying, but please dont think any of that because none of this is a lie. I gathered all this facts from my parents, grandparents and uncles. It was a super a super six match from 1999 world cup. The match started somewhere around midnight i think and all my family members were up for it and how can a 3 year old like me miss it? So i started watching from the first ball and i stopped when the match ended. Watched it all night without sleeping for a minute! My family has always been a cricketing family and lucky for me, that they passed on those genes! So thats it for my first match...Basically i watched the whole match and since then I started loving cricket, i still love cricket and i will always love cricket till death!..
Old July 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEz
It was 1997. I was about 2/3 years old. Was living in madaripur then, didn't movie to Dhaka till i was about 5. And the match was India vs Pakistan! Now i know u might think that im lying, but please dont think any of that because none of this is a lie. I gathered all this facts from my parents, grandparents and uncles. It was a super a super six match from 1999 world cup. The match started somewhere around midnight i think and all my family members were up for it and how can a 3 year old like me miss it? So i started watching from the first ball and i stopped when the match ended. Watched it all night without sleeping for a minute! My family has always been a cricketing family and lucky for me, that they passed on those genes! So thats it for my first match...Basically i watched the whole match and since then I started loving cricket, i still love cricket and i will always love cricket till death!..
Were you live at the stadium in Madaripur? Didn't know Madaripur hosted the 1999 WC.

You dumped again without thinking. Tsk.Tsk.

The post was about games you have seen LIVE at the STADIUM.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

oh mybad! it was on TV...go ahead and take the post of
Old July 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEz
oh mybad! it was on TV...go ahead and take the post of
It's fine. I like to give you a hard time. So what was your first international cricket match live in the stadium (if you've had that opportunity)?
Old July 9, 2012, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
It's fine. I like to give you a hard time. So what was your first international cricket match live in the stadium (if you've had that opportunity)?
Never :'( if i was living in Bangladesh right now then i would've definitely gone to a match but didnt have that luck...maybe if Allah wants me to in the future then i will.

And u like to give me a hard time??? what does that mean??
Old July 9, 2012, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

TigerEz, if you are 15 years old, how were you 2/3 years old in 1997? Get the facts right.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old July 9, 2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
TigerEz, if you are 15 years old, how were you 2/3 years old in 1997? Get the facts right.
See? I'm not the only one that gives you a hard time. It has to do with what's in your sig.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
See? I'm not the only one that gives you a hard time. It has to do with what's in your sig.
Its ur words...i just tweaked it a bit...and Isnaad's just another kid..so i give less about him!..lolz...ur different
Old July 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
It's fine. I like to give you a hard time.
Remember to do it within board rules of course
Old July 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

my first match on tv was when there was an Aussie, India, Zim tri series in Australia around 2003. My first match i went to was a test match between South Africa and Australia in Australia in 2008/9. That game was special to me because Matty Hayden was underfire to perform and during the last session he hit successive boundaries. But unfortunately he retired during that series

The first match i watched in Bangladesh was Day 1 of the Pakistan tour of Bangladesh in Mirpur at the beginning of this year. I was in utter dissapointment when Tamim, Nazim, Nasir, Mahmudullah all got out in the first session. Then i witnessed the magical partnership of Nafees and Shakib. (180 run partnership?) Was a fantastic day it was for me. Witnessed the rare occasion of Nafees in good form and saw the best of Shakib up close. And wow the Bengali crowd is so entertaining!
Old July 9, 2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I have never seen a live match until BD vs Pak practice match during WC 2011. So, I will start off with TV match (off topic)

First live match on TV:
It was the match between Ind and Pak during 1988 Asia Cup. This is the match when Abdul Quadir bowled with an apple during one delivery (it was a joke) and batsman smashed it (literally). I think this was a practice match. We were watching it on TV, and thats the first match I can remember. This tournament made me a cricket fan.

First live match at Stadium:
After following cricket for almost 2 decades, I watched my first live match during last year's WC; BD vs PAK practice match. We played quite well. Not surprisingly, I lost my voice, screaming and shouting. There was a real comedian sitting next me. Guy was poking fun at Gul who was fielding long-on area. Every time Gul was near the ropes, he didn't miss the chance to shout something at him (not swearing). He also told me he never missed any international match of BD in Dhaka (not sure if he was bluffing). It was an exciting match and for sometime BD was playing really good (we were hoping for a win). Even though it wasn't a win, I was satisfied with my first experience of a live international match!
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
I have never seen a live match until BD vs Pak practice match during WC 2011. So, I will start off with TV match (off topic)

First live match on TV:
It was the match between Ind and Pak during 1988 Asia Cup. This is the match when Abdul Quadir bowled with an apple during one delivery (it was a joke) and batsman smashed it (literally). I think this was a practice match. We were watching it on TV, and thats the first match I can remember. This tournament made me a cricket fan.
I was actually at the stadium for that match. It wasn't a practice match - it was a benefit match. The match was a farce. Those of us at the stadium were disgusted. We wanted to see good cricket not their physio Irani bowling.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Well - if you want to do first TV match too - then my first TV match was the 1969 Test between Pakistan and New Zealand at Dhaka. 3rd Test. At least I remember that. I might have seen the previous two Tests two if they were shown on Dhaka TV.

Between 1983 and 1989, I did not miss a single international cricket match in Dhaka.
Old July 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Well - if you want to do first TV match too - then my first TV match was the 1969 Test between Pakistan and New Zealand at Dhaka. 3rd Test. At least I remember that. I might have seen the previous two Tests two if they were shown on Dhaka TV.

Between 1983 and 1989, I did not miss a single international cricket match in Dhaka.
Curious as to whether you were rooting for Pakistan who was *your* team back then. Did most Bangladeshis root for Pakistan in those days? I would imagine patriotic fervor amongst East Pakistanis was no less than our co-nationals in the west given the integral role many Bangalis played in the creation of Pakistan as well as military service thereafter.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

^sorry...i meant 1999
Old July 9, 2012, 11:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

My first international cricket match on TV:
It was a match between Pakistan and another team I do not remember. 1996/1997 it was. All I remember is that Saeed Anwar was batting very well. I wasn't old enough so I do not remember much about that game.
My first international cricket match in the stadium:
It was back in 2006. The match was between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. One sided match. Zimbabwe scored 147 I think. Bangladesh chased it down easily with 8 wickets in hand. Aftab Ahmed was the man of the match for a very well constructed innings of 80 odd runs. He hit two sixes. The experience was not as good as I expected it to be.
Since then, I have been to 8 matches. Bangladesh won 4 and lost 4. The wins include our victory over England in the World Cup and victory over India in the Asia Cup. I consider myself to be very lucky
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old July 9, 2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
My first international cricket match on TV:
It was a match between Pakistan and another team I do not remember. 1996/1997 it was. All I remember is that Saeed Anwar was batting very well. I wasn't old enough so I do not remember much about that game.
My first international cricket match in the stadium:
It was back in 2006. The match was between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. One sided match. Zimbabwe scored 147 I think. Bangladesh chased it down easily with 8 wickets in hand. Aftab Ahmed was the man of the match for a very well constructed innings of 80 odd runs. He hit two sixes. The experience was not as good as I expected it to be.
Since then, I have been to 8 matches. Bangladesh won 4 and lost 4. The wins include our victory over England in the World Cup and victory over India in the Asia Cup. I consider myself to be very lucky
ooh lala...wat a luck charm!
Old July 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

LOL @ the conversation above.

Back on topic, my first cricket match that had ODI status would be Bangladesh VS Pakistan at the Dhaka/Bangabandhu stadium..I honestly can't remember what year or what tournament. All i remember is Wasim Akram opened the bowling and for Pakistan and Shipon (Or was it Sajid?) was opening for Bangladesh. LOL that was a horrible story...i hardly remember anything at all!

A more prominent memory will be my first test...which I'm sure was a first for many members on this forum...the first test match Bangladesh ever played! I remember a random middle aged guy hugging me and bursting inn to tears after Bulbul raised his bat after reaching 100. He said something about how Bangladeshi players could never could make it to the Pakistan team before 1971 and how gratifying it was to see Bangladesh host it's own test match. Ahh memories...
Old July 9, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

my first stadium experience was at SCG. it was an ODI match between australia and india.aussies won that match, brett lee hit a 6 off the 3rd last delivery or 2nd last, i can't remember exactly and took a single off the next delivery and won aussies the match. oh, there were no more wickets left either. what a thriller that match was!!!
Old July 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
my first stadium experience was at SCG. it was an ODI match between australia and india.aussies won that match, brett lee hit a 6 off the 3rd last delivery or 2nd last, i can't remember exactly and took a single off the next delivery and won aussies the match. oh, there were no more wickets left either. what a thriller that match was!!!
I remember that match!!
Old July 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

It was 1999 and a Test nation was making an official tour to Bangladesh for the first time. The West Indies arrived for 2 ODIs and a 3 day match against us, led by Lara and managed by Clive Lloyd. My father had managed to acquire VIP tickets for the 2 ODIs, so for 9-year-old me, who had been raised on tales of Sobers, Viv, Holding and Lloyd, it was an opportunity of a lifetime.

I can recall the feeling of immense excitement but I find it more interesting to think about the three most abiding memories from those two days. I remember seeing one of the huge sixes hit by Ricardo Powell rocket in my direction, a white projectile emerging from a blur of willow and magenta. Even though I saw Lara steam roll our bowlers, it was that image that still remains seared in my mind.

The other two memories do not concern action on the cricket field, though they are directly related to it. My father and I had seats near the players dressing room and I remember my young self talking (and being thrown in the air and caught) by Mehrab Hossain Opi. Opi had just scored Bangladesh's first ODI hundred that year (against Zimbabwe) and I was over the moon about the fact that I had got to meet him.

At about the same time, Lara came out of the West Indies dressing room with a few white cricket balls in his hands. His mind seemed to be elsewhere and he was looking into the distance, away from the audience. Maybe it's the only time till date that I have been in the presence of genius.

You can only imagine my elation when, at the end of the tournament, I was able to return home with my autograph book filled with the signatures of the people named above.
Old July 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

1998 Pakistan vs West Indies (mini bisshocup) in Dhaka - I think that was the first time any major tournament took placed in Bangladesh.
Old July 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

duplicate thread ... lol
First ever watched an international cricket game live from Stadium
Old July 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

quoting myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
My first ever ODI live from stadium was Ind vs Pak in 1988 Asia Cup in dhaka with my dad. I was too young too go by myself. And my first test match (watching from the stadium) was Bangladesh's first test against India in 2000.