facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate
Default Back from wilderness at last

Font size:

GP-BCB Academy bowling coach Geoff Lawson makes an adjustment to the bowling action of Talha Jubair while fellow pacemen Mahbubul Alam, Shubhashish Roy, Tapash Baishya look on. — New Age photo

Staff Correspondent

The short-term camp under Australian coach Geoff Lawson has given some pace bowlers, who were in the wilderness for several years, a renewed hope to revive their international career.

Tapash Baishya, Talha Jubair, Tarek Aziz and Farhad Reza had lost their all hopes of returning to mainstream cricket after they were dumped from the national side in different phases.

The BCB added them to relatively fresh blood Mahbubul Alam, Dollar Mahmud, Shubhasish Roy and Under-19 bowler Tazin Islam in the camp of Lawson, who is in the city for a month to coach the budding bowlers of GP-BCB National Cricket Academy.

‘It at least created a platform for us and boosted our motivation to make an attempt for a comeback,’ said Tapash, who last played for the national side in a one-day match against Australia in 2007.

‘When I am out of such camp I can only do some gym works and running on my own but it’s tough to continue bowling practice,’ said Tapash, still in his late 20s, who has settled in his home town Sylhet after he had lost his hopes of returning to national team.

Talha, who burst into the national side after a similar short camp under West Indian Andy Roberts in 2002 but could not prolong his Test career for more than year, was also impressed.

‘Naturally it is a very good move as we don’t have any place to go during this period,’ said Talha, who played the last of his six ODIs in 2003 and was discarded from the national side following a Test against India next year.

‘I had a slight problem in my jump which Lawson pointed out while showing me the video of my bowling action,’ said Talha. ‘He suggested me to jump higher for which I did some drill today,’ he added.

Lawson feels that they were a bit rusty as they had not been bowling for a while.

‘There was a couple of promising guys but they were a bit rusty as they did not play any cricket,’ he told New Age on Wednesday.

I have seen the video footages of their bowling and I think there are some technical issues that need to be sort out. ‘I have some specific plan in technical nature on how they can use there bowling effectively but I don’t want to make any major changes in their actions,’ he said.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/26117.html

Old July 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Why don't they just hire this man as the National coach?
Old July 13, 2011, 02:41 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

^he didn't do very well as the pak coach or the KTK coach thats why
Old July 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
Cricket Legend

But he seems to be a bit like Ian.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

player wise he was much superior to ian..but i think Ian is much better than him in the coaching department
Old July 13, 2011, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
player wise he was much superior to ian..but i think Ian is much better than him in the coaching department
Yeah, I mean him wanting to slightly change the tech, that is what makes him like Ian
Old July 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Its a good initiative but Lawson is here only for a month. I think It would have been a better if BCB could use Lawson for training youngsters like U-17, U-19, U23 without spending time with these bowlers. They dont have much to learn anyways and its too late to change any kind of bowling actions. And also I dont see bowlers like Tapash, Tareq coming back to national team again. These bowlers should have been managed in the A team rather than having them in this short camp....
Old July 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

^^^ I know Tapash and Tareq did level 2 coaching course with Ross Turner. May be they were drafted in to learn few tricks from lawson so they could pass it on to local bowlers from their division. I am not sure about Talha in regards to level 2 course

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old July 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Wasn't Talha once compared to McGrath?
Old July 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Old July 13, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Thanks Murad. Nichey Nam diye dio shob gula'r.
Old July 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Tapash,Tareq, Dollar, Forhad, Talha, Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Thanks Murad. Nichey Nam diye dio shob gula'r.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Thanks Mohammed bhai.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
But he seems to be a bit like Ian.
Erm.. I can assure you he is not. Most of the changes will be somewhat superficial given the short time he has to work. But he will also not suggest anything they could work on to change their actions (if needed) because that's not the work he does. Things like jumping less high or standing up tall, are not biomechanics changes.

We can see from the pic that he will focus on how to hold a cricket ball, and getting the wrist position correct. To be honest all those guys should already know that, and as he comments himself, the bowlers are a bit rusty.

Robin is a genuine candidate in my view and was someone I spent time with helping him understand the biomechanics of his action so he can work on it. Dollar needs to do the same and also turn his batting into his strength to become a batting fast bowler.

The other lads will just be thrilled to be looked at after Jamie refused to look outside of the squad he had. So any attention for them will be welcome.

Geoff was HEAD COACH of Pakistan and also of an IPL team, so I don't think he would be interested in my old salary!
Old July 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Thanks Ian. I still can't believe that we let you go!
Old July 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Erm.. I can assure you he is not. Most of the changes will be somewhat superficial given the short time he has to work. But he will also not suggest anything they could work on to change their actions (if needed) because that's not the work he does. Things like jumping less high or standing up tall, are not biomechanics changes.

We can see from the pic that he will focus on how to hold a cricket ball, and getting the wrist position correct. To be honest all those guys should already know that, and as he comments himself, the bowlers are a bit rusty.

Robin is a genuine candidate in my view and was someone I spent time with helping him understand the biomechanics of his action so he can work on it. Dollar needs to do the same and also turn his batting into his strength to become a batting fast bowler.

The other lads will just be thrilled to be looked at after Jamie refused to look outside of the squad he had. So any attention for them will be welcome.

Geoff was HEAD COACH of Pakistan and also of an IPL team, so I don't think he would be interested in my old salary!

Ian, do you have any plan to open a bowling academy in Bangladesh like MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai ? I am sure there will be many corporate houses in Bangladesh who would like to support financially building that academy. Don't put too much hope on BCB. They are good for nothing.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Ian, do you have any plan to open a bowling academy in Bangladesh like MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai ? I am sure there will be many corporate houses in Bangladesh who would like to support financially building that academy. Don't put too much hope on BCB. They are good for nothing.
I think, like most cricket in a country, any fast bowling initiative is likely to come through the cricket board for it to be effective. That's because it will require the support of the board for it to work properly.

I don't know if there is a desire to have a fast bowling institute in Bangladesh. Of course every country should have one, or a version of one. I am thinking that because spin is so dominant that maybe over the years the initiative hasn't been clearly looked at yet with regard to logistics, follow up, coach education and accountability. Just having a pacer hunt doesn't create fast bowlers. Neither does having shirts printed with Pace Bowling Foundation and no substance.

It would be really good to head up a pace academy in Bangladesh and as with India, I am always keen to assist with developing local talent. This is why I am going to Haryana to set up such an academy for the Ranji Team and the BCCI.

I don't know businessmen in Bangladesh and I don't know if they want to invest in such a scheme to bring through pace talent for the national team. People can easily get hold of me should they want me to work.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Ian, who had the biggest ability to swing the ball outside of the current bunch?
Old July 16, 2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Ian, who had the biggest ability to swing the ball outside of the current bunch?
Left arm bowler EMON.

It is relatively simple to swing a cricket ball to be honest and if a bowler works out how it should sit in the hand and be released, then a ball will swing. This is how we got Shafiul swinging the ball away when all he could previously do was angle it in.

In Bangladesh conditions, all pace bowlers should be trying to swing the cricket ball. Your question therefore should actually be irrelevant if the bowlers just get their grip of the ball correct and let it go correctly.

It's very basic stuff. I would always think a bowler should experiment and find these things out for themselves. If you have to rely on a coach to show you basic grips then this is a worry for who has been coaching previously.
Old July 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Left arm bowler EMON.

It is relatively simple to swing a cricket ball to be honest and if a bowler works out how it should sit in the hand and be released, then a ball will swing. This is how we got Shafiul swinging the ball away when all he could previously do was angle it in.

In Bangladesh conditions, all pace bowlers should be trying to swing the cricket ball. Your question therefore should actually be irrelevant if the bowlers just get their grip of the ball correct and let it go correctly.

It's very basic stuff. I would always think a bowler should experiment and find these things out for themselves. If you have to rely on a coach to show you basic grips then this is a worry for who has been coaching previously.
But when I bowl, just normally (no rip on the ball) I get the ball to swing in.... Why is it natural to get in swing?
Old July 16, 2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
But when I bowl, just normally (no rip on the ball) I get the ball to swing in.... Why is it natural to get in swing?
Because that is where your wrist and hand points when u let the ball go.

Even without knowing u, and this is not the forum for coaching, u probably let the ball go set up to bowl down the leg side. 99% of the time this is why a bowler shapes the ball 'in' to a right hander batter as a right handed bowler.

It isn't rocket science to be honest. If you 'push' the ball it will go into the legs... if you 'pull' the ball it should go outside off stump. Plus when you pull the cricket ball it goes faster.
Old July 16, 2011, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Because that is where your wrist and hand points when u let the ball go.

Even without knowing u, and this is not the forum for coaching, u probably let the ball go set up to bowl down the leg side. 99% of the time this is why a bowler shapes the ball 'in' to a right hander batter as a right handed bowler.

It isn't rocket science to be honest. If you 'push' the ball it will go into the legs... if you 'pull' the ball it should go outside off stump. Plus when you pull the cricket ball it goes faster.
So if swinging the ball is so easy (although being accurate with it is hard) why is there no dangerous winging pace bowler from Bangladesh? I mean Rubel and Shafiul have done it a few times, but why do they not always do it?
Old July 16, 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So if swinging the ball is so easy (although being accurate with it is hard) why is there no dangerous winging pace bowler from Bangladesh? I mean Rubel and Shafiul have done it a few times, but why do they not always do it?
I think Mashrafee might disagree with you slightly!
Old July 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Wouldnt that require some sort of guidance, 'professional grade' hard work and above average talent?
Old July 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think Mashrafee might disagree with you slightly!
I thought Mashrafe was a seam bowler who relied more on getting the ball to jag around.... Do you think Mashrafe's side action bowling aids his style of bowling?