facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2006, 10:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default If Ponting ran cricket wouldn\'t want us to play in the WC

Telegraph

heres the quote
Quote:
What I would not have is the minnow nations in the World Cup and the Champions' Trophy, and I would not have Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing Tests at present.
Maybe he refering minnows as Bermuda,Ireland etc or us and the Zimbos

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 6:06 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: Title: ponting!

Old February 14, 2006, 10:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

I wouldn't be concerned over the opinion of Ricky Ponting. His reputation is taking a battering in Australia at present and he is beginning to crack under the pressure.

Australian's loved it when Bangladesh beat Australia in England, with many people voting it as their top sporting moment of the year.
Old February 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Test Cricketer

actions speaks louder then words. bangladesh cricket team needs to perform well in test and close the mouth of cricket experts. beating zimbabwe didnt earn us any respect, beating australia in odi is not helping either. our team needs to perform well in test matches.
Old February 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

hehe.....if we didn't beat aussies back in england.....then he'd say bangladesh and zimbabwe shouldnt be playing tests [b]and ODIs[\b]
Old February 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

Quote:
Originally posted by aosaif
hehe.....if we didn't beat aussies back in england.....then he'd say bangladesh and zimbabwe shouldnt be playing tests [b]and ODIs[\b]
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Old February 14, 2006, 11:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Bangladesh need not worry.

Ricky Ponting is a proponent of fairplay. He has spoken of honesty and taking the word of a fielder on a difficult-to-decide catch.

In yesterday's last VB final, he appeared to take a stupendous catch, one handed, diving backwards. After having collected the ball he fell to the ground, with the ball in his hand touching the ground. According to the law on catches, a fielder taking a catch has to hold on to the ball (and prevent it from touching the ground) until he is fully in control . In yesterdays catch, if he held the ball in his hand without it touching the ground until his position on the ground became stable it would have been a fair catch. He either did not notice that the ball in his hand touched the ground or did not want to admit same.

Also,in the same match, a Sri Lankan batsman was out to another catch taken off a delivery which was made when the required number of fielders were not inside the ring (during a powerplay). Therefore, that ball was a 'no ball' and the batsman should not have been given out. Here too it could have been a mistake on the part of the Aussie captain and the umpires though there is a strong possibility of cheating on the part of the Aussies.

Irrespective of the above incidents, the Australians were clearly the better team on the day and they deserved to win the match and the trophy.

But the point is Ponting is not such a great guy. Even Bob Simpson has told that he is not fit to be captain.

So do not take what he says seriously.

Cricket has to be played by more countries if the game is to prosper and develop. Otherwise the world will lose interest in this game. So the entry of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh to Test Cricket is to be welcomed. Like all other test playing countries did, they will have some difficulties at the beginning but they will settle down. Being a Sri Lankan, I know how it was for us. Zimbabwe was shaping up nicely until their political problems ruined it for them. Hope they would recover. Bangladesh is clearly on their way up. Your junior cricket is a revelation.

So forget Ponting and his pointing !

Edited on, February 15, 2006, 5:32 AM GMT, by abherath.
Old February 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

That catch was great what he took last night . An amazing one and on the otherhand "Jayasuriya" dropped the chance of Srilanka to win the match as he dropped one of the "Gilchrist" catch and he ended up with the highest score in the match .

So many players said The minnow nation shouldn't play test cricket as Zimbabwe is not gonna play untill 2007 . Bangladesh won't be the minnow nation after few years atleast they will have the ability to win against Kenya , West Indies and others .

You are talking about the Hussey's catch . To us it's fair caz it's the umpire's decision to give the "noball" not the player's decision . Ofcourse it was fair , when umpire said nothing and it was to me he crossed the rope when ball has been delivered still he on the line after he catched it . So , don't blame the Aussies blame Mr . Aleem Dar from Pakistan . That was his job to look at it and that's why they get paid for

Edited on, February 15, 2006, 4:32 AM GMT, by mahrookh.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by abherath
In yesterday's last VB final, he appeared to take a stupendous catch, one handed, diving backwards. After having collected the ball he fell to the ground, with the ball in his hand touching the ground. According to the law on catches, a fielder taking a catch has to hold on to the ball (and prevent it from touching the ground) until he is fully in control.
Really? That was one of the most awesome catches I've ever seen. He dived backwards at least a metre and held on to the ball despite landing awkwardly. I thought he managed to keep his wrist up when he fell *shrug*. If it did touch the ground, the batsman should have just remained at the crease

I still don't understand why we get offended when people say we're crap and don't really belong in the top league for Tests. Until we win some matches we'll have to accept such criticisms.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
I still don't understand why we get offended when people say we're crap and don't really belong in the top league for Tests. Until we win some matches we'll have to accept such criticisms.

একেবারে সত্য কথা ... শ্রীলঙ্কা'র বন্ধুকে মনে ব্যাথা দিতে চাই নাই, সেই জন্য বলি নাই আগে, কিন্তু আসল কথা ঐটাই - পন্টিং এর মত ক্যাচ ধরতে পারব যখন, তখন আর ফীল-গুড কথা বলে মন ভালো করতে হবে না।

মনে আছে গত সপ্তাহে'র অনুর্ধ উনিশ এর কথা? মিডিয়া'র মুখে ফেনা উঠে গিয়েছিলো এবং আমাদেরকে কোন বারতি কষ্ট করতে হয়নি ওইসব শোনা'র জন্য

Edited on, February 15, 2006, 5:27 AM GMT, by Sauron.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mahrookh
That catch was great what he took last night . An amazing one and on the otherhand "Jayasuriya" dropped the chance of Srilanka to win the match as he dropped one of the "Gilchrist" catch and he ended up with the highest score in the match .

So many players said The minnow nation shouldn't play test cricket as Zimbabwe is not gonna play untill 2007 . Bangladesh won't be the minnow nation after few years atleast they will have the ability to win against Kenya , West Indies and others .

You are talking about the Hussey's catch . To us it's fair caz it's the umpire's decision to give the "noball" not the player's decision . Ofcourse it was fair , when umpire said nothing and it was to me he crossed the rope when ball has been delivered still he on the line after he catched it . So , don't blame the Aussies blame Mr . Aleem Dar from Pakistan . That was his job to look at it and that's why they get paid for

Edited on, February 15, 2006, 4:32 AM GMT, by mahrookh.
It was a stupendous effort whether the ball touched the ground or not. Since the Ausssies would have won anyway, Sri Lanka will not make a fuss about the two incidents I mentioned. The Aussies did deserve the VB cup. The point is Ricky Ponting potificates on fairplay and these incidents stick out in that sense.

Aleem Dar would not have noticed the incident (required number not being inside the ring). He may make mistakes but he does not give the impression of being biased.

Anyway, the subject here is about the minnows playing test cricket. So let us not have another distraction like in two other threads.

Bangladesh will remain in test crickjet and Zimbabwe will resume playing soon.

Edited on, February 15, 2006, 5:42 AM GMT, by abherath.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

The name Aleem Dar and the word biased go hand in hand, well maybe not biased but mistake prone espically to BD cricket
Old February 15, 2006, 12:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
......Really? That was one of the most awesome catches I've ever seen. He dived backwards at least a metre and held on to the ball despite landing awkwardly. I thought he managed to keep his wrist up when he fell *shrug*. If it did touch the ground, the batsman should have just remained at the crease

I mentioned Ponting's catch with regard to what he has spoken of fairplay. But it was a stupendous effort on his part to take that catch and the Aussies would have won anyway. So Ponting deserves admiration for that catch, all right. Also, well done Aussies for winning the VB cup.

The subject being the comment on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing tests, I think they should continue to play.

People like Ponting are entitled to their comments. Similarly, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are entitled to play test cricket.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cricman
The name Aleem Dar and the word biased go hand in hand, well maybe not biased but mistake prone espically to BD cricket
That I was not aware of. Something to look out for in the future.
Old February 15, 2006, 01:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

That catch of "Ponting" is the best catch of anyone who's been watching the final last night . Aleelm Dar made lot of mistakes in taht tour as usual . If anything against the Srilankans then it's the umpire's fault not the player's fault . When umpire gives out then it's out . Noone gonna think about it why it's out .

Anyway Bangladesh won't the minnow anymore after 5 years . You know who's our Coach ? It's him who took Srilankans to the World Cup victory against the Aussies . So , stay cool we are about to join
Old February 15, 2006, 01:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
That catch of "Ponting" is the best catch of anyone who's been watching the final last night . Aleelm Dar made lot of mistakes in taht tour as usual . If anything against the Srilankans then it's the umpire's fault not the player's fault . When umpire gives out then it's out . Noone gonna think about it why it's out .

Anyway Bangladesh won't the minnow anymore after 5 years . You know who's our Coach ? It's him who took Srilankans to the World Cup victory against the Aussies . So , stay cool we are about to join
Bangladesh will require much less than 5 years.

Bangladesh engaging a psychologist too is good. Since there is excellent talent in Bangladesh already, with good psychological preparation Bangladesh will do well. We expect to see results of that in the series with Sri Lanka.

As for the Bangladeshi coach, I reserve my comments. It is not just Dav who took us to the World Cup. He happened to be at the right place at the right time.
Old February 15, 2006, 02:03 AM
Cricket Legend

[quote]Originally posted by abherath
Quote:
As for the Bangladeshi coach, I reserve my comments. It is not just Dav who took us to the World Cup. He happened to be at the right place at the right time.
I agree. DW is not so great as most of us think. With matured and experienced Kalu, Sanath, Arjuna, De silva, Guru sinha, Vaas, Murali SL was bound to be succesful. They have a captain in the form Arjuna who not only earn respect of his player but also has a cunning brain. If one want to chk DW s greatness look at his second term in SL. As for his impact in BD, i did not find any improvement. All are flash in pan. Suman still go out hooking, Ash is still irresponsble. SL become successful whn thier talented player started to take responsibilty. Unfortunately DW failed to it in BD .
Old February 15, 2006, 05:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by thebest
Quote:
Originally posted by abherath
Quote:
I agree. DW is not so great as most of us think. With matured and experienced Kalu, Sanath, Arjuna, De silva, Guru sinha, Vaas, Murali SL was bound to be succesful. They have a captain in the form Arjuna who not only earn respect of his player but also has a cunning brain. If one want to chk DW s greatness look at his second term in SL. As for his impact in BD, i did not find any improvement. All are flash in pan. Suman still go out hooking, Ash is still irresponsble. SL become successful whn thier talented player started to take responsibilty. Unfortunately DW failed to it in BD .
Absolutely, thebest. I have been following cricket in my country, Sri Lanka for so long and I only know too well the real facts. Past cricketers, school cricket authorities, clubs, officials, even politicians worked hard, shedding blood - as in Duleep Mendis and Sunil Wettimuni sans batting helmets getting hit by Jeff Tompson / Dennis Lillee in the 1975 World Cup, yet keeping the Lion Flag flying, giving the Aussies a real fright - and sweat over more than a century of cricket in Sri Lanka to get to the point when we earned test status and then to the point when we won the World Cup. Yes, Dav contributed but that was only a drop in the ocean.

I am sure that in Bangladesh too so many people have toiled hard to get the Tigers where they are right now.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 5:00 AM GMT, by abherath.
Old February 15, 2006, 06:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Bangladesh will not be minnows in a few years time. Zimbabwe however.. well, their situation is beyond the control of the players.

Both countries have earned Test status, in my opinion, once you get it, you've got it for good.
Old February 15, 2006, 11:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by battye
Both countries [BANGLADESH and ZIMBABWE] have earned Test status, in my opinion, once you get it, you've got it for good.
That's for sure.
Old February 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Ponting queries Bangladesh Test status

By Trevor Marshallsea
February 17, 2006
AdvertisementAdvertisement

RICKY Ponting has set the scene for a frosty reception in Bangladesh when the Australians tour there in April by saying the country should be stripped of its Test status.

Two months before Australia's first Test tour of Bangladesh, Ponting implied he would rather the two-match series was not happening, suggesting Bangladesh and fellow minnow Zimbabwe should not be playing Test cricket.

Asked in an interview with London's Daily Telegraph newspaper what changes he would like to see in cricket, the Australian captain said: "What I would not have is the minnow nations in the World Cup and the Champions Trophy, and I would not have Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing Tests at present."

His remarks are certain to cause a backlash among the Bangladesh cricket community, particularly after the country celebrated its biggest success since being admitted to cricket's top tier by defeating Australia in a one-dayer last year.

Since becoming the 10th Test-playing nation, Bangladesh has played 40 Tests, lost 35 and won only one — at home against Zimbabwe. Bangladesh has won 10 of 115 one-day internationals since its debut in 1986, beating Zimbabwe four times and Hong Kong and Scotland once each.

Ponting's comments would appear to clash with Cricket Australia's policy, but will not earn him any reprimand.

"Test cricket needs to be about the best playing the best," a Cricket Australia spokesman said yesterday. "There are some countries that are developing, and the way to develop is to play on a regular basis against the best countries in the world. Cricket Australia has bought into that process by sending the Australian team (to play against them)."

Cricket Australia went into damage limitation mode last night, releasing a more diplomatic statement from Ponting, which appeared a backflip from his original comments.

"If it takes teams like Australia playing teams like Bangladesh for the developing Test nations to improve their skills, then I'm all for it," he said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of leading Australia in Bangladesh …"

link

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 4:46 PM GMT, by Nasif.
Reason: Put long url in tag
Old February 16, 2006, 11:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

As a batsman Ponting is regarded one of the best in current cricket.

As a person I don't like him. He speaks out of ignorance. He contradicts with his on-field off-field antics. I am waiting for the day when he will out of the Australian line up for good.

Steve Waugh was ruthless on the field but he had class. Ponting has no class and does not deserve to be the captain of the Australian team. If England can some how beat Australia in the next ashes he will no longer remain the captain.
Old February 16, 2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

এই দিন দিন নয় আরো দিন আছে
এই দিনেরে নেবো মোরা সেই দিনের কাছে।

Wait till our U-19 minnows grow up...
Old February 16, 2006, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Gotta agree with you on this. I still remember last ashes series where he got run out and he was blaming it on the substitute fielder England had on the field.
Old February 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

So... whats new?
Old February 16, 2006, 04:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

মনে আছে গত সপ্তাহে'র অনুর্ধ উনিশ এর কথা? মিডিয়া'র মুখে ফেনা উঠে গিয়েছিলো এবং আমাদেরকে কোন বারতি কষ্ট করতে হয়নি ওইসব শোনা'র জন্য

একদম ঠিক কথা। ব্যাট আর বলে জবাব দিতে পারলে তখন আর কথা শুনতে হবেনা। কোন সিরিজ শুরু হবার আগে মাঠ গরম করা অস্ট্রেলিয়ান্-দের মজ্জাগত অভ্যাস।