facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Default My piece on Shakib, an hour after Bangladesh's win

Few words, big impact
Mohammad Isam

Going by Shakib Al Hasan's personality, here is a straightforward account of his contribution to Bangladesh's 9-run win.

With 18 runs needed from eight balls, Shakib Al Hasan gets dangerman Nathan McCullum out bowled around his legs, ensuring New Zealand are without their last hitter going into the final over.

Earlier, Nathan's brother Brendan gave New Zealand a fiery start but on 61, Shakib jammed in a yorker to remove him.

And just one ball later, Shakib got one to straighten on Grant Elliott and have the South African man out leg-before.

The score (85 for four) had more significance as the rain pelted down on Mirpur and made sure the visitors had to face a stiffer target when they resumed their innings some 45 minutes later.

A little before the rain break, Shakib was at mid-off when captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza fell heavily on his right ankle. "When he slipped, I knew he was gone for the day," he joked later, the scene eerily similar to the St Vincent Test match last year when Mashrafe injured his knee in similar fashion and Shakib led the Tigers to victory.

That was not all however. With the bat too, Shakib was the only batsman to make something of his start and went from 38 to his half-century with three fours. The flurry of boundaries took Bangladesh close to the 200-mark early in the final Powerplay.

Shakib practically had an impact on every juncture of yesterday's game, a hallmark of a class all-rounder.

Six of his 15 half-centuries in one-day cricket have come in a Bangladesh win but this double (a half-century and 4-for) was a first for him.

Shakib also confirmed that this was his first-ever fifty against New Zealand in one-day cricket.

Despite all of this, Shakib tried to play down his overt influence on the match in typically terse replies.

"I feel good when the team does well. It is even better when we win," he said simply when asked about his first reaction on his match-winning all-round show.

About his duel with Daniel Vettori, Shakib again kept it short: "I was not thinking about it."

When did you think Bangladesh were sure to win, a journalist inquired. "When Nazmul bhai bowled the fourth ball of the last over," he replied and the rest laughed.

He reserved praise for the bowlers for getting a wicket whenever he brought them on. "We tried to stop them and some of the bowling changes were good. But credit must go to the bowlers as they took wickets at crucial times," he said.

Captains Mashrafe and Vettori said Shakib's was a great performance but the 23-year-old typically had little to say on the topic.

His sly smile was enough to suggest, however, that he was pleased.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=157323

Old October 5, 2010, 02:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Thanks Isam..great writeup..and what a guy Shakib is..so mature and responsible..its amazing at this age how much pressure he can handle..I also saw a difference in his bowling and batting..could be the county cricket he played..his bowling was definitely more aggressive..hope Shakib keeps up the good work..make us even more proud Shaks..
Old October 5, 2010, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
And just one ball later, Shakib got one to straighten on Grant Elliott and have the South African man out leg-before.
How is this professional? This isn't your typical basement discussion - you're writing for a daily and this dig at his background when he's playing for New Zealand was totally uncalled for.

DS, quite frankly, is made up of a bunch of grammatically challenged reporters who struggle to make up for it by constructing sentences with misplaced words and too much drama. Then you have those who do not have that problem - like yourself - and yet you can't show the courtesy of acknowledging a player who earns his bread in a country different from his place of birth. Where's the professionalism?
Old October 5, 2010, 03:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

ATMR bhai rey ato kheptey agey dekhi nai????

R ey bhai ora jey amader sharkhon kocha dea. tai isam bhai ektu khocha back korlo... betara shob desh thekey player nea ashey khelai... amra to r ta pari na...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old October 5, 2010, 03:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Nice article Isam.
Thanks.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 5, 2010, 04:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I won't be surprised if NZ wants to buy Shakib for their domestic matches next year ...
Old October 5, 2010, 06:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
How is this professional? This isn't your typical basement discussion - you're writing for a daily and this dig at his background when he's playing for New Zealand was totally uncalled for.

DS, quite frankly, is made up of a bunch of grammatically challenged reporters who struggle to make up for it by constructing sentences with misplaced words and too much drama. Then you have those who do not have that problem - like yourself - and yet you can't show the courtesy of acknowledging a player who earns his bread in a country different from his place of birth. Where's the professionalism?
i didnt see anything even covertly offensive by mentioning his origins. doesn't that happen to KP all the time?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

great article and thanks to isam for sharing. i dont understand why ATMR is upset.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i didnt see anything even covertly offensive by mentioning his origins. doesn't that happen to KP all the time?
It's usually qualified with "born", "origin" etc.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:52 PM
Test Cricketer

ATMR your words on this match I believe,

Quote:
Didn't realize there was a game on. Good on the guys for winning it.
nuff said...

Last edited by Zunaid; October 5, 2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Old October 5, 2010, 07:17 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

He changed a lot after CC playing for the Worcs. He was more calm and relaxed. He shuffled his bowlers around a lot, something that he lacked before. Defo sure he picked that up from CC skippers. He wasn't biased with SLAs through out the match, something he used to do. Specially in the end, he was brave enough to keep his only pacer on for the death over, even thought that fast bowler didn't have good 1st spell. If it was few months ago, I can bet my life on this, that he wouldn't have bowled Nazmul in the death overs. He would have made a typical bangla move bring on spinners. He encouraged his bowlers, specially Nazmul at the death overs. I liked how he came and talked to him, at the end of the over, probably saying 'you bowled well dont worry, just a 4'

All and all, he did change a lot. Totally shows how much he learned from CC, and why it's much better than IPL, if you are looking to improve your game, not just earn money.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Another good one.
Isam, keep on writing, if not, you will neither improve nor excel.
And typos, these are a part of writing.
Old October 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ooohhoo Dizzy dada a very potent and jalamoi bamboo khaiche re Asif bhai and FagunerAgun mamajir haate re...oohhhoo ami kete pori re ekhaan theke re...I mean ami footlaam!!!! Very hot thread!
Old October 6, 2010, 01:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

If he gets everything right DS with their limitations might consider that piece not worth printing.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

i guess if 4-5 of our player play in country or Australian league we will be a better team
Old October 6, 2010, 01:46 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
If he gets everything right DS with their limitations might consider that piece not worth printing.
I would like to read his articles from English series
Old October 6, 2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:

1. You are entitled to your opinion on what I write and you are always welcome to criticize it. But when the criticism is not constructive, I am not inclined to give you a reply.
2. Do not attack people you don't know.

Last edited by Isam; October 6, 2010 at 04:09 AM..
Old October 6, 2010, 04:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Hows that an attack? From my own experience when one posts sth. online there is always feedback and one should grow thick skin.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 6, 2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Hows that an attack? From my own experience when one posts sth. online there is always feedback and one should grow thick skin.
It is an attack when you make snap judgment on people and say things like "DS, quite frankly, is made up of a bunch of grammatically challenged reporters".
No point ganging up on me here!
Old October 6, 2010, 04:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:

could have been said politely and constructively.
Old October 6, 2010, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Isam, no offense intended, but I too find that one quite offensive and out of context. I can understand members like meself taking a dig at Irish/SA born English players or in this case, Eliott himself. But you're a professional, and IMHO that dig was quite unprofessional piece of journalism from your part. Just my view of course.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Why don't we take that as an additional piece of information (SA Born) for the readers, rathar than a teaser? A columnist has limited space and needs to be as informative as possible within the space. So such information could be taken as positive one as well, this could be a completely new piece of information for a lot of readers.
Anyway, is Elliot ashemed of his SA birth? Is NZ ashamed of disclosing it? How the SA born can be so offensive? I didnt feel that it was used negatively in the context of his article as well.
Old October 6, 2010, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Age does matter! you'll get over it.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

i liked it.. plain & simple
carry on Islam bhai
Old October 6, 2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
It is an attack when you make snap judgment on people and say things like "DS, quite frankly, is made up of a bunch of grammatically challenged reporters".
No point ganging up on me here!
Isam, we're not ganging up on you. We appreciate your work and your contributions greatly. And ATMR actually did not lump you with the rest of the DS as grammatically challenged; he specifically said you're not someone with that problem.

I also share ATMR's view that talking about his country of origin in the article was irrelevant and without context. We expect DS to have a high level of professionalism and your analysis doesnt necessarily have to include some peppy information tidbit about where he's from.

Just as you say ATMR could have been more constructive in his criticism, you couldve instead mentioned his South African background in the context of professional and first class experience he may have from there.