facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Sounds to me it's rather "eye pleasing" factor than anything cricket related. Or so we can brag about having tall players.

Old January 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cricket Savant

D on the money.

/caseclosed
Old January 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
^ were they bowled because they are short? They still have to use the bat, even if they are tall.
You are missintg the point here. Nobody is saying that without talent, just height will take you anywhere. But lack of height ( 5' 2" and 5' 4") places a player in a disavantaged postion in cricket, specially for certain postions or role ( i.e FBs, WCs, etc). To overcome that barrier a short player need to be super talented.

Quote:
All I'm saying is, a player shouldn't be hyped up just because he is tall. He has to be GOOD cricketer, and to be a good cricketer one don't necessarily have to be tall, said by the experts.
We all know that be a good cricketer you need talent as a default, its not rocket science. And id doesn't need to be said every time we talk about other attribute of a player. When we are hyping about everything, why not talking about a propect Fb's height? I see nothing with that.

Quote:
I'm not here to defend Rahim or bash Ash, but you can't kick them out just because they aren't tall. I'd kick them out if they aren't performing/better replacements are available.
Again, Rahim has other technical faults as a WC, but his 5' 2" is not helping him either. Again you are missing the point here, just height will not solve Rahim's problem here, but lack of height will never make him a great wicketkeeper. He is way too short for a wicket keeper with limited range.
Old January 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

dilu onekdin por khepse!
Old January 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
You are missintg the point here. Nobody is saying that without talent, just height will take you anywhere. But lack of height ( 5' 2" and 5' 4") places a player in a disavantaged postion in cricket, specially for certain postions or role ( i.e FBs, WCs, etc). To overcome that barrier a short player need to be super talented.

We all know that be a good cricketer you need talent as a default, its not rocket science. And id doesn't need to be said every time we talk about other attribute of a player. When we are hyping about everything, why not talking about a propect Fb's height? I see nothing with that.

Again, Rahim has other technical faults as a WC, but his 5' 2" is not helping him either. Again you are missing the point here, just height will not solve Rahim's problem here, but lack of height will never make him a great wicketkeeper. He is way too short for a wicket keeper with limited range.
I'm not saying you're saying height is the main thing to become a cricketer. What I'm saying is, I don't see any good reason why we should jump around just because some dude is tall? And that too based on pictures! I'm saying it's a Bangladeshi thing to be hyped over height, and has nothing to do with cricket.

Okay, since I AM missing them point, why don't you just tell me what is Rahim unable to do at the moment because he is short. And don't just say "oh he would have better range." Give me one example where our batsmen got bowled because they were short. You keep saying height is important, but you never say why or give any examples.
Old January 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I'm not saying you're saying height is the main thing to become a cricketer. What I'm saying is, I don't see any good reason why we should jump around just because some dude is tall? And that too based on pictures! I'm saying it's a Bangladeshi thing to be hyped over height, and has nothing to do with cricket.
Please read the thread again. the thread started with his past performance nad not his height. And the discussion about height came afterward as an added bonus. Its not "just beacuse the dud is tall" rather it was "btw the dude is also tall". I hope you undertand the difference.

Quote:
Okay, since I AM missing them point, why don't you just tell me what is Rahim unable to do at the moment because he is short. And don't just say "oh he would have better range."
Besides dropping some easy catches (which has nothing to do with his height), he missed quite a few chances and half chances which went for 4s behind the wicket because of his range all through his career, and its not because of his slowlness ... its mainly based on his 5' 2" height.

Quote:
Give me one example where our batsmen got bowled because they were short. You keep saying height is important, but you never say why or give any examples.
I don't need to give any example, do your own research. Others can valide or not validate what I am saying. When you are 5' 2" or something and when your defence is not rock solid (which is true for most of our batsman), and when you are not commfortable with short pitch ball ( which is true for most of our batsman), then all decent length ball will look like a short pitch to our short batsman. It's just common sense, you just watch any Bangladeshi game against decent FBs in away game, and you will know what I am saying.

btw it looks like the discusioin about height really making you uncomfortable. You also claimed that you are 6 feet, even though nobody should really care about your height as you are not one of our present or future players that we care about. May be its time to give us a proof that you are indeed 6 feet and not 5 feet if you think that is relevent in this discussion.
Old January 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Fully agree with Dilscoop here, btw. Ash's bhuri is due to his shortness? How do you explain 5'11 Tamim's bhuri and 6'1 Mashrafe's bhuri (when he had one). Mushfiq being just over 5 feet tall is THE fittest player in the team.
Old January 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Height matters my friends. Really matters.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Fully agree with Dilscoop here, btw. Ash's bhuri is due to his shortness? How do you explain 5'11 Tamim's bhuri and 6'1 Mashrafe's bhuri (when he had one). Mushfiq being just over 5 feet tall is THE fittest player in the team.
How I explain tamim's Bhuri and mashrafi's Bhuri? here is my explaination:

a)Tamim: It is a pure case of laziness and and not working hard and not taking care of his health for a long time. Eventually ist showing up.

c) In case of Mashrafee, its a case of long and extended injury and frustration as byproduct and extended time of lack of physical activities due injury related constraints.

Now why some one like Ash or Rahim will be more prone to bhuri (more prone than taller people)? Their height. For few weeks of lapses i.e. lack of excercise will grow a bhuri....even though none of them are known as lazy. Taller people can hide their bhuri for long before it get exposed, where as, few weeks of relaxed time gives a short person a bhuri. Don't believe me? Ask one of your short friends.

Have you ever heard Ash accused as a lazy in general? then why once in a while you see his bhuri?
Old January 10, 2012, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

This is the first time ever that I have heard that short people are more prone to putting on weight than tall people. I don't think there is any scientific proof for this. Tried Google; didn't help.
Old January 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I wish I could bring Wes Welker in here. He will show us what "range" he gets, being the smallest dude in the field.

No one is denying being tall is not a advantage, not just in cricket but every where. You can't stretch Rahim any taller. He is the national captain for crying out loud. Stop being a "Sammy" and stop being disrespectful.

"Impossible is nothing," you don't have to keep saying "if he was taller it would've helped him."
Old January 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Now why some one like Ash or Rahim will be more prone to bhuri (more prone than taller people)? Their height. For few weeks of lapses i.e. lack of excercise will grow a bhuri....even though none of them are known as lazy. Taller people can hide their bhuri for long before it get exposed, where as, few weeks of relaxed time gives a short person a bhuri. Don't believe me? Ask one of your short friends.

Have you ever heard Ash accused as a lazy in general? then why once in a while you see his bhuri?
Well, that takes the cake.

Now I know what what weight to give to mama's opinions in the future. (Pun intended)

It is fine to have opinions. Not so fine trying to bulk of what you say by made up 'facts'.

Here's an interesting paper:

The relationship of height and body fat to gender-assortative weight gain in children. A longitudinal cohort study (EarlyBird 44).

Ajala O, Fr Meaux AE, Hosking J, Metcalf BS, Jeffery AN, Voss LD, Wilkin TJ.
Source

Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (Plymouth Campus), UK.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Height, body fat and body mass index (BMI) are correlated in children, so we hypothesized that the gender-assortative associations in BMI recently reported in contemporary children might extend to their height and body fat.
-
An excerpt:

Quote:
As expected, offspring height correlated with that of their parents, but overweight/obese children were systematically taller than normal weight children (boys: +1.02 SDS, girls: +1.14 SDS, p < 0.01), and this difference was independent of parental height or BMI.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Well. That'll ding dang doo. Glad we cleared THAT up.

You have been zdumacated.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well. That'll ding dang doo. Glad we cleared THAT up.

You have been zdumacated.
Haha. 'zdumacated' - I like it. Can I borrow it?
Old January 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

It felt good when I typed it and said it out loud. It has a certain vibe to it.
Old January 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Well, that takes the cake.

Now I know what what weight to give to mama's opinions in the future. (Pun intended)

It is fine to have opinions. Not so fine trying to bulk of what you say by made up 'facts'.

Here's an interesting paper:

The relationship of height and body fat to gender-assortative weight gain in children. A longitudinal cohort study (EarlyBird 44).

Ajala O, Fr Meaux AE, Hosking J, Metcalf BS, Jeffery AN, Voss LD, Wilkin TJ.
Source

Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (Plymouth Campus), UK.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Height, body fat and body mass index (BMI) are correlated in children, so we hypothesized that the gender-assortative associations in BMI recently reported in contemporary children might extend to their height and body fat.
-
An excerpt:

Good research. But is it relevent what I am saying (in your quote), that's the quesation.

I didn't said short people is more prone to obesity than for example tall people. You can see plenty of tall fat people in USA for example.

What I said (what you quoted) is when tall people gain few pounds its easy to hide, when short people gain few pounds, there is nowhere to hide.
Old January 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

No one is denying being tall is not a advantage, not just in cricket but every where. You can't stretch Rahim any taller. He is the national captain for crying out loud. Stop being a "Sammy" and stop being disrespectful.
He is the national captain so what? Please stop this nonsense and stop playing "disrespectful" card. You may disagree with me, that's fine and we can ague on that. But grow up and agree to disagree... don't play those games.
Old January 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Lol playing games? That WAS my whole argument. Stop discriminating. One can't help if he is short or tall, you can't just fault him for that. He plays cricket and captains at the highest level.

And why are you even bringing him up here? This thread is about some average height dude and I was saying I don't see any reason to jump around like bunch of teenage girls. You can't still possibly be arguing against that. Great, tall people have advantage over short. No ****. You don't have to tell me, I'm 6". Come back to me when you something actually useful to argue about.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old January 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Lol playing games? That WAS my whole argument. Stop discriminating. One can't help if he is short or tall, you can't just fault him for that. He plays cricket and captains at the highest level.
Did anybody said it's Rahim's fault that he is born short? But that doesn't mean that we can say that his height is not ideal for the role he is playing (i.e. WC).

Yes he plays in the highest level with a handicap, and kudos to him personally. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for better alternative.

Quote:

And why are you even bringing him up here? This thread is about some average height dude and I was saying I don't see any reason to jump around like bunch of teenage girls. You can't still possibly be arguing against that.
Argue against what? A player's height has some relevance and we already said that. You may disagree, but its being argued, not ignored.

Quote:
You don't have to tell me, I'm 6". Come back to me when you something actually useful to argue about.

Why should we care if you are 6' or 5'. Its you, not us, who brought it up here first.
Old January 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Cricket Savant

So low BMI and superhuman stamina can also increase biomechanics and athleticism. By same token, although height can influence, although it's naive to assume tall people de facto has 'reach'...just like the childish assumption I used to hear when I was a kid: oh ring jhulo ring jhulle lomba hoy..aar baksetbol khelle..really????...similarly tall player needs to have spring in his feet and have honed his reflexes to react. THAT'S more important than just being plain tall...thinking somehow it will magically give you reach like that Fantastic Four dude.

So yes, although height, just like ideal body fat and stamina, MAY influence a player, but lack of it is by no means handicap. Take any martial arts class. They teach you how to use the body that YOU are GIVEN with. Not some wishy washy...6 foot tall with flowing blonde hair and muscles to bully your way through.

For guys like Lara and Tendulkar, it's all about being within their body zone and using their technique to optimal level. That is far more important than just having Scandinavian poster boy w3t dreams.

Also watch some army hell week videos where they emphasize that there is not clear cut ideal body to pass. It's all about mental aspect.

Morale? Use what's given, instead of crying for what you don't have.

Because of Bengali culture where they idolized those models from Beverly Hills 90210 I was made to believe if you have shojaru like haircut instead of long hair with curvy bangs dangling in front of ya like that Terminator kid, you are fugly. Wow. Aren't we a backward bunch. Also my height wasn't glorified when growing up thinking everyone must be like Nobel or Gayobel. Only when I grew up I realized I cannot fight my genes and I have to give up my hope of 10 foot tall hunk Harvard grad a la Apprentice contestants. So....now I am comfortable in my bald body and medium frame because isn't it all about how you carry yourself?

Swaggah brotherman. Tswall 'bout swaggah. Our players need to grow some balls, and have some individual traits. For Malinga hair works. Then again knowing our culture if you have tats or have your own style kids gon sit on trees in their lungis and hurl titkiris at ya. Oh yeah. Incidentally that'd borderline showing off, "arrogance" or what not.

Curse of undeveloped culture. sue me now.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 11, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ awesome rant. Totally on the same with you on all the sections you covered. But I feel sorry for you, because people will try to argue it just for the hell of it. You just wasted some valuable time my friend.

Old January 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Banned

guys, Fazal isn't saying tall players don't need to hone less skills than short players to be good in the business. all he has been trying to say is that taller players have a natural advantage, as simple as that. you are just cooking it too much.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
You can't stretch Rahim any taller. He is the national captain for crying out loud. Stop being a "Sammy" and stop being disrespectful.
whats disrespectful about calling mushy short? Where goes the respect theory when you call ash & shahadat by names?
Old January 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

So, whats the final decision? Should we look for taller players or shorter players ... or anyone who knows how to carry himself and how to manage his space ... according to height??

Looking atthe thread heading, i could never guess, people were discussing height in this thread ...

but there is a hypothesis in BD ... "Lomba Lokera naki Boka Hoy" .. eita ki thik?? jodi eita thik hoy... then we should always take tall guys... because boka people always executes the instructions word for word and they are always more brave ... beshi bujhle they also understand the associated risks more ... so they take less chances....
Old January 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

oi youuuuuusss! if u want to argue about tallvs short, go open a different thread in forget cricket and rant all u liike there. eita shaker ahmeder thread!