facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 23, 2015, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Indian team has a higher rate of success in ODI, especially in their own backyard, against all teams. Success attracts and brings in lot more supporters. Compare to that Bangladesh are most of the times on the thrashing end....even then we have fairly full capacity crowd.
Compare the attendance Indian team get in tests to ODI. You'll see the difference.
But over all India definitely surpasses BD due to their long heritage in cricket. Cricket is still a new phenomenon in BD.....for it to be really as vastly popular as India, we need to win major trophies and soon.

Old February 24, 2015, 01:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Bangladesh's crowds are better than ours anyday.

Most of our fans are fairweather fans. If India kept losing - especially at home - nobody would turn up.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone

Most of our fans are fairweather fans. If India kept losing - especially at home - nobody would turn up.
True that, reminds me of the India-Srilanka match at Eden Gardens in 1996. Fans started throwing water bottles, burning papers when India started loosing, resulting in the match being abandoned.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:31 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ That's a great tactic if you ask me. Fans took it upon them to alter the results
Old February 24, 2015, 04:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Even in premier league cricket match- Abahani vs Mohammedan - I witnessed packed stadium in 90s. There was this game (I forgot whether it was one of the Asia cup match) BD vs Pakistan in 90s - I think it was Athahar who was smashing waqar/akram, first 10 overs 70 runs, then came mustaq ahmed, and morok shuru - stadium was fully packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The original cricket home, now Bangonandhu Stadium, had a capacity of 55K which went down to 36K after renovations in the 90s.

In the 80s, when I used to watch cricket there, it used to be packed to the rafters when we had one of those rare international games. 50K+ for sure.
Old February 24, 2015, 04:42 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsan
Even in premier league cricket match- Abahani vs Mohammedan - I witnessed packed stadium in 90s. There was this game (I forgot whether it was one of the Asia cup match) BD vs Pakistan in 90s - I think it was Athahar who was smashing waqar/akram, first 10 overs 70 runs, then came mustaq ahmed, and morok shuru - stadium was fully packed.
I think the match you are talking about was a practice match for ICC trophy back in 97. We scored 50 within 8 overs. It was Athar and Jahangir who were smashing Waqar and Ataur.. We managed 210 or something in 45 overs.

I think Cricket moved from Paltan (Bangobandu) because Football was not cooperating with BCB at all. They insisted on staging football match in the middle of a cricket season and as a result the pitch and the outfield were constantly getting hampered. Football didn't want to stay in Mirpur because it was failing to pull crowds due to its downward performance and lack of transportation. (Now they have moved to Paltan and still cant pull crowds)
So cricket made the sacrifice and moved to Mirpur. BCB rebuilt Mirpur stadium which was originally constructed for football and didn't have much seating capacity.
Old February 25, 2015, 05:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone

That's how it should be...otherwise what happens to often is players start taking things for granted, become complacent and get stuck in mediocrity