facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan
Default Bangladesh is relying far too much on youth

Far too many players are given a test/ODI cap before they are ready. There will always be a few exceptions like Shakib ul Hasan but most of these youngsters are going to fade away like Hassan Raza. In the batting department in particular you have to give the youngster some time to develop his game before he is exposed to bowlers like Steyn, Akhtar and Zaheer.

Playing 3 or 4 seasons of domestic cricket will not only help the players develop the game but it will also teach them how to win.

Old June 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

unfortunately they face bowlers like tapash, dollar, and musfiqur rahman in the domestic leagues...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 25, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I agree with you, PP.

We are making the same mistake again and again. Our selectors don't like to select the experienced players. They always go for the youth. The recent example is Rubel Hossain. He hasn't even played 20 ODIs but he is in the Test squad. We have Sajidul Islam or Nazmul Hossain in the Stand-by, who are way experienced than him.

Selectors always neglect the experienced batsmen we have. Hannan Sarkar and Nafis Iqbal should be in the Test squad in place of Imrul and Junaed.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:46 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
I agree with you, PP.

We are making the same mistake again and again. Our selectors don't like to select the experienced players. They always go for the youth. The recent example is Rubel Hossain. He hasn't even played 20 ODIs but he is in the Test squad. We have Sajidul Islam or Nazmul Hossain in the Stand-by, who are way experienced than him.

Selectors always neglect the experienced batsmen we have. Hannan Sarkar and Nafis Iqbal should be in the Test squad in place of Imrul and Junaed.
i'm confusedBhai how can u say Rubel hasn't played any 20-20 & ODI's?
Old June 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
i'm confusedBhai how can u say Rubel hasn't played any 20-20 & ODI's?
Twenty ODIs. Like the number of ODI matches.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:52 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Twenty ODIs. Like the number of ODI matches.
my badlol
Old June 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

The good news is, with the inclusion of players like Hannan Sarkar, Nafis Iqbal and Faisal Hossain in some of the preliminary sides (whether they deserve a place in the main squad is a different question and the answer varies from individual to individual) in recent times, the selectors seem like they are finally acknowledging the importance of experience and are headed in the right direction. However, picking players when they are not ready has become a trend and unfortunately, it will take some time to get out of this even if we wanted to, as we don't have a strong reserve of experienced players (barring one or two) as of now.

The only way to ensure that this doesn't happen in the future is through sticking to a core group of players through heaven and hell and in five years or so, the average age of the team will be around 28 and these guys will have played long enough to be able to display a minimum level of sanity when they go out there, as opposed to making clowns out of themselves like they do so often now.

We kept on changing players and never tried this before - it's about time that we did and fortunately, it does seem like the selectors are now very keen on giving people long runs in the team (there's always the odd bad decision characteristic of any process in evolution mode, which IMO is acceptable).
Old June 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default The Only Way were going to get Better

Is through Extended Tours, It may mean Less Matches. Were going to have to play like the cricketers did back in the Day. Stay in a Country 2-3 months and get accustomed to the Conditions. Play 6 FC Matches before you play your 1st Test.

5 Tours a Year (3 Away, 2 Home) do this for a few years and than you can become Money hungry and Pack a Schedule as You like
Old June 25, 2009, 10:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

It all boils down to the same thing - our cricket structure. Here's how:

Good cricket structure ==> Good number of players ==> Better competition ==> Better Experience ==> Better experienced pool to pick from ==> Better team

Right now, we're still trying to find our feet with the 'good cricket structure'. Come to think of it, that really sucks.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

good posts by ATMR...

our oldies are worse than the newbies. and then once they'd be old enough to retire, the newbies would have no experience beyond BD domestic scene. which is nothing spectacular. we are on the best option right now, and it will take years for it to pay even small dividends. actually the small dividends are now, in the form of beating a top 8 side every 9th ODI. that would not happen with a team full of hannan's, JOs, chachas, bulbuls, or nannus.

the next step will take time, and parity w/other top cricket sides will take a long while. the culture of cricket has yet to mature in BD and that includes everything from selection processes, to domestic structure, to the mindset out captain has when he's at the crease.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 26, 2009, 12:04 AM
Cricket Sage

players get picked up and dropped just like how BD fielders drop catches during a game..dollar mahmud in and out..mosharraf rubel in and out..it happened too many times in the past and will continue to happen..our selectors don't learn..
Old June 26, 2009, 12:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

we don't have experienced selectors to begin with
Old June 26, 2009, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

This is a strategy of BCB. Any new nation has to take a particular strategy to develop their Cricket System. You can go for Conventional Way or You can be Creative and adopt a New Way. I think BCB has taken the second one. They didn't follow the conventional way that Zimbabwe took earlier on 1992, when they achieved Test Status. They allowed Dave Houghton to play.

BCB wants the current players to be experienced and take the responsibility. Till now for some players they are successful like Mashrafe, Ashraful, Shakib. Razzak was also an auto choice for ODI but after coming back from his action controversy, he is little shaky. This is international Cricket and part of career. It is time to see whether he can come back or not. If he wants to come back he has to fight. This is the FACT of playing International Cricket. You have to accept & win this. Mashrafe got injured many times and he came back.

Aftab & Shahriar Nafees has achieved this auto choice position but Aftab has gone for ICL & SN has gone for his Technical Fault that he has to improve to get his position in International Level (ICL also another reason). None of the other players could make it possible. I should tell about another person Manzarul Rana. He also got that auto choice position for ODI. We are unfortunate.

Well, Till Now I support the strategy. Because this is not the right time to judge the success or failure of their strategy. We have to wait for some more times. Pakistan has Hasan Raja but they also had Javed Miandad, Mushtaq Muhammad. Both of these players started their career before 20. The example is a bit heavy but I just want to tell there is a chance. If all the above mentioned players of Bangladesh can achieved their position again than it will be a good thing. We can also include Tamim here. I am just waiting to see a big innings from him. I don’t think the team with Tamim, Shahreer Nafis, Ashraful, Aftab, Shakib, Mashrafe and Razzak will be a bad one for Bangladesh. If some other players can add that value to the team than it is better.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

well one of the reasons for new players is that every year the young guys coming in are better than the last, so it's a pretty easy decision for the selectors to go with the younger players because they're the better ones. i think finally BD are getting to a point where they've found a group of players who will become decent players with some experience e.g. shakib, rubel, naeem, raqibul, tamim, riyad (and dhiman is already decent with the gloves) etc for the last year or so they seem to be keeping alot of these players in the national team/squad, hopefully it continues like this. actually i think the main issue atm or in the recent future will be players who are slightly older than most of the current bunch i.e. ashraful, alok, aftab, SN etc these players have always had talent but have never been able to be consistent, i think the newer guys look like they're more likely to be consistent than the ashrafuls and aloks but no doubt the ash's and aloks will find their way into the national team i just hope they finally find consistency when they do.

once the ICLers are available for the national team again i'll be very interested to see if the current group can hold off the ICLers like alok, aftab, SN, nazimuddin and reza (not sure whether they'll be able to hold dhiman off simply because he's just that much better than the next best gloveman).
Old June 26, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It's not the sellectors' fault. Like many here rightly pointed out the correct reaons, I also think so. The players with whom we got the test status, were great characters & dedicated cricketers, but lacked basic skills and techniques of the game for understandable reasons.

With added facilities, resources & focus after getting the test status, we started producing better younger players who needed to be introduced early to replaced the earlier lot of cricketers in the national team. Problems we are facing is with the development of their mental faculty along with their skills, to make world class cricketers. You can impart skills to a boy but not the wisdom of experience. That's the reason we need to stick with the current lot for some time to be matured cricketers.

To be honest, the current lot won't give us great results yet. But by the time they retire, we will have a good number of cricketers who will have in depth knowledge of the game and the next generation will be exposed to their wisdom at a very early age to become matured cricketers much faster than the current lot.

Time is cruicial, and changes now won't give us much good result, as they will all have to go through the process current lot is going through. Lets have these boys complete the cycle of experience, that's better than having all half experienced guys. The p[rocess of development will slow down. We have to have patience with these guys. Even some fans are more impatient than our selectors. We shout at changing a guy everytime he fails, without realizing that whomever comesin new will have to also go through the same process. And we are taking our cricket backwards by doing so.

Off course, if we have exceptionally good naturally tallented player coming up from no where, should get an opportunity to prove himself in the bigger stage. But we should be very carefull to not to do it too soon or on whims. Patience is the key.
Old June 26, 2009, 07:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I think we need to kick the selectors out. When a player like rajin has avg over 30 in think can't get to play test because he is too slow and then we can't even play 50 overs then I have nothing to say. its ok to try out young guys in 1 to 2 position but when they r including 5/6 player all the time then nothing to say...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 26, 2009, 07:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
unfortunately they face bowlers like tapash, dollar, and musfiqur rahman in the domestic leagues...
You are right, but many of our national batsmen could not even score well against them in the last season!!!
Old June 26, 2009, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

we need a good professional cricket league back home, that is played across the country and spans most of the year.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
It's not the sellectors' fault. Like many here rightly pointed out the correct reaons, I also think so. The players with whom we got the test status, were great characters & dedicated cricketers, but lacked basic skills and techniques of the game for understandable reasons.

With added facilities, resources & focus after getting the test status, we started producing better younger players who needed to be introduced early to replaced the earlier lot of cricketers in the national team. Problems we are facing is with the development of their mental faculty along with their skills, to make world class cricketers. You can impart skills to a boy but not the wisdom of experience. That's the reason we need to stick with the current lot for some time to be matured cricketers.

To be honest, the current lot won't give us great results yet. But by the time they retire, we will have a good number of cricketers who will have in depth knowledge of the game and the next generation will be exposed to their wisdom at a very early age to become matured cricketers much faster than the current lot.

Time is cruicial, and changes now won't give us much good result, as they will all have to go through the process current lot is going through. Lets have these boys complete the cycle of experience, that's better than having all half experienced guys. The p[rocess of development will slow down. We have to have patience with these guys. Even some fans are more impatient than our selectors. We shout at changing a guy everytime he fails, without realizing that whomever comesin new will have to also go through the same process. And we are taking our cricket backwards by doing so.

Off course, if we have exceptionally good naturally tallented player coming up from no where, should get an opportunity to prove himself in the bigger stage. But we should be very carefull to not to do it too soon or on whims. Patience is the key.
awesome post... what u said pretty much sums up everything.....
Old June 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

the real test batsman rajin saleh is not in the squad..........sounds nice
Old June 26, 2009, 05:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

I wish we have this, but our players tend to 'retire' at a very early age because of chopping policy of BCB.
Old June 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I think we need to kick the selectors out. When a player like rajin has avg over 30 in think can't get to play test because he is too slow and then we can't even play 50 overs then I have nothing to say. its ok to try out young guys in 1 to 2 position but when they r including 5/6 player all the time then nothing to say...
Post of the thread.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
Club Cricketer

well do we have any serious batsmen or bowler above 25 that we can rely on
Old June 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by
well do we have any serious batsmen or bowler above 25 that we can rely on
I am guessing by 'above' you meant 'older'.

Yes, Hannan Sarker!! Specially when visiting West Indies.

Old June 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDaMartian
You are right, but many of our national batsmen could not even score well against them in the last season!!!
And during world cup warm ups Bangladesh A beat the national team 2-1