facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 23, 2004, 03:55 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Five new faces in England-bound Under-19

Bangladesh Cricket Board announced a fifteen-member Under-19 squad for the upcoming tour of England scheduled to begin on July 17.
The team contains 10 players who were a part of the recently-concluded Under-19 World Cup.
All-rounder Mushfiqur Rahman (jr), Ishraq Sonnet, top-order batsmen Shamsur Rahman, Shahriar Nafees and spinner Ashim Chowdhury are the new players included for their outstanding performances in the Corporate Cricket League and other recent tournaments, informed the selectors.
Ashikur Rahman who led the squad during the Under-19 World Cup has been excluded for his disappointing show at the meet, informed Chief Selector Faruque Ahmed.
Talha Jubaer who sustained a knee injury during the World Cup recovered successfully to be rewarded with a place.
“We picked up the possible best team, keeping in mind we have to provide a few players, who are going to make it into the main team in a short time, an opportunity to gather experience in England,” Faruque told New Age.
A few players, including former skipper Nafees Iqbal, has taken part in two consecutive Under-19 World Cups and it is speculated that they have, by now, crossed over the age-limit.
“The England and Wales Cricket Board have encouraged us to send our World Cup squad and so we did not dwell too much into it,” informed the selector.
Coach Richard McInnes was also satisfied with the squad.
He further informed it would be a seven-week long tour and Bangladesh will play three four-day matches, three one-dayers and some practice matches- both two-day and one-dayers.
Squad: Nafees Iqbal, Shamsur Rahman, Mushfiqur Rahman, Nadif Chowdhury, Talha Jubaer, Kazi Shahadat Hossain, Rubaiyat Haque, Nazim Uddin, Shahriar Nafees, Nazmul Hossain, Dhiman Gosh, Ashim Chowdhury, Aftab Ahmed, Ishraq Sonnet.
Nazmus Saddat, Sarwardy Shuvo and Mahfuz-ur-Rahman have been enlisted as reserve members.
Coach: Richard Mcinnes, Assistant coach: Nazmul Abedin.
-Newage

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by reverse_swing]

Old June 23, 2004, 08:23 PM
Cricket Legend

jaihok,
dekhe ja mone hochhe,
nafis iqbal is going to be in the under 19 team for another 5-6 years. cuz it doesnt seem like that he has any determination to come and perform in the national team. i think he is happy in the under 19 team. so we actually should forget about him opening with ashraful or whatever. we should look for new openers. dannabad.
Old June 23, 2004, 09:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

I cannot understand how Nafis Iqbal will be with the U-19 team for 5-6 years. He cannot possibly be 13 years of age at present. In fact he has already played two U-19 world cups. I do not understand how a player can continue to be in U-19 for years without growing up.

[Edited on 24-6-2004 by cricketfan]
Old June 23, 2004, 10:08 PM
Retired BC Admin

You should check out the pictures of Indian and Pakistani U-19 players once a while.

Its quite easy to understand the fact that babies are still born at home. As long as the women make reference to the 'aamer bole', 'bonnyar shomoy' etc, age will continue to be one the few luxuries for economically challenged nations, whether anyone likes it or not.

Muhahahaha ...
Old June 24, 2004, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

lol chinaman bhai,
apni thiki bolechen...........
i think rafique should take some training from the indians and the pakistanese how to stay at the same age for atleast 3 - 4 years. i guess afridi might be one of the best persons to ask this question. its like 'tuck everlasting' jaikhane akta pani ase jai pani khele konodin boyosh bare na. infact boyosh actually bare but they stay they same. but afridi actually knows about something more powerful than that. cuz his age actually keeps going down. dannabad.
Old June 24, 2004, 02:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Has anyone seen the schedule of the Under 19 tour to England? I wouldnt mind going to watch a few games and support our boys.
Old June 24, 2004, 06:47 AM
Cricket Legend

jaihok,
shofor shuchi shommondhe kintu jani na. tobe eta jani je bangladesh onurdho 19 tara kintu desh charche july 15 tarikh. dannabad.
Old June 25, 2004, 09:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

nafis will soon be in our first 11 after the experience he gets. He is a good player with a very good strike rate which WE need in ODI games and hopefully he can perform better next time and grab his chance when he gets it in the future.
Old June 25, 2004, 10:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

I don't think it is Nafees' fault that he is not performing for the national outfit. I'm sure that he would nather be playing tests than u-19 non-consequentials. After all, the national scene is where the maney and the fame is. With Al-Shahriar and Hannan suffering from a loss of form, Shahriar Hossain suffering from injury; one would think Nafees would have been given a crack at bat at the highest level...
Old June 25, 2004, 11:11 AM
Test Cricketer

I absolutely support selector's decision to send Nafis and Shahadat to England instead of SriLanka. Nafis is surely our best batting talent and coupled with the fact that our opening slots need to be sorted permanently we want to get him ready in terms of skills and temperament to serve the country for a very long time. Bar U-19 WC in New Zealand 2002 where he didn't do well, Nafis never played outside of subcontinent. So playing in testing English conditions with lateral movement of the ball off the pitch is of utter importance for a budding young talent like Nafis in his development years. I fail to see any long term benefit to 'push' him into the deep end.

Same applies to Shahadat as well. As far as I'm aware Shahadat was fast tracked to U-19 team once spotted and never played for U-15 or U-17 etc, not to mention he never played abroad. This young talented prodigy needs experience and training desperately. And pace friendly English condition will surely inspire him to breath fire in sight of a batsman in his vicinity. With a few tours in different conditions under his belt he'll be a polished diamond

Finally we shouldn't send our boy-soldiers to the battlefield only because our veteran warlords can't put up a fight.
Old June 25, 2004, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

dannabad zephaniah bhai,
akti chomotkar bisleshoner jonno. ashole oi beta nafis ar rokto aktu beshi gorom. he has the skills he has the techniques he has to ability to play against any boler. he can easily turn into a world class batsman. he also has a very good striking rate. but what he does not have is consistency which is the most important of all. if he can prove something in england than probably he might be able to catch the attraction of the selectors. because it really annoys me to see that he is playing in the under 19 team ever since i have heard of his name but still not being able to come to the 11 man squad. or pore onek player ki shundor dhuke gelo kintu oi beta ujbuk ta parlo na. he need more experience. betar ar koto experience lagbe. experience nite nite to or experience ar bosta faita jaibo. dannabad.
Old June 26, 2004, 12:07 PM
Test Cricketer

experience is not all the thing, after this england tour, nafis should be in the odi team and stay there and it doesnt matter if he gets one or 2 ducks, he can only get better, same with shahadat, after this tour, we can bring him up to the senior squad and let his raw talent loose.
Old June 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Good to see Talha back.

The following ppl r probably nearing their entry in the senior team soon:

Bats: Nafees, Dhiman, Nazimuddin(alrounder)
Bowl: Talha, Shahadat

Best Wishes for the team!
Old June 27, 2004, 02:42 AM
Test Cricketer

i dont think so about dhiman gosh, he ll be a while since he comes into the team. It will be hard replacing mashud.
Old June 27, 2004, 07:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Have a look at the schedule. From September '04 to january '05 it's fully packed with cricket and cricket. Every month BD national team will play tests and ODI's at home. Every month a foreign team will be touring BD. Exiting! Obviously there will be few practice matches before they play national team. So we should try out some of our promising U-19 stars in the practice matches and continuously assess. I guess some of them would show maturity to command a place in the national team.

Due to the amount of cricket is to be played Nafis, Talha and Shahadat will surely get a chance or two in the national team. Fantastic opportunities awaits for Aftab Ahmed, Dhimal Ghosh and Nazimuddin.

By the way, do you guys reckon Enamul Haque will make Asia Cup final XV that's why he's not in the England-bound Under-19 team? If not selected for Asia Cup he should go there to demolish English U-19 team, I think. Any input?
Old June 27, 2004, 09:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Actually Enamul isn't in the Asia Cup squad. I wonder why he's not going to England then?
Old June 27, 2004, 12:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

It's kinda surprising to see players like Enamul Jr. sitting outside the line whn The junior and senior teams both r having tours!!

r we having abundance of players currently?!
Old June 27, 2004, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

actually the thing might be that enamul is neither senior nor junior i think he is mejo or i mean medium. thats why he is not going with either of the teams. if the mejo team tours then he might probably get a chance to go.
Old June 28, 2004, 12:14 AM
Street Cricketer

[Mod: edited]

[Edited on 28-6-2004 by Zunaid : Please read the forum guidelines]
Old June 28, 2004, 12:14 AM
Cricket Legend

misal take it easy
Old June 28, 2004, 04:54 AM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

Default maverick

I am not sure what has happened here, but Enamul Haq will be touring England with the Under 19's, no doubt about it. It appears his names has been left out of the media release or in the media. I didn't actually read the paper so i am not sure if it was printed or not. Hope that clears that one up.

I will send the schedule to you soon.
Old June 28, 2004, 05:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
actually the thing might be that enamul is neither senior nor junior i think he is mejo or i mean medium. thats why he is not going with either of the teams. if the mejo team tours then he might probably get a chance to go.
Mejho means Under-21 team?
we don hav any!

But the coach has just clarified that it was a media mistake that his name is not in the squad..
He is actually in the U-19 squad.
Old June 28, 2004, 06:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
I am not sure what has happened here, but Enamul Haq will be touring England with the Under 19's, no doubt about it. It appears his names has been left out of the media release or in the media. I didn't actually read the paper so i am not sure if it was printed or not. Hope that clears that one up.

I will send the schedule to you soon.
Thank you coach to spare us from any further confusion about Enamul Haq Jnr. But I wonder how could our media do such a silly mistake? This is annoying.
Old June 28, 2004, 09:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Enaulul Jr. is not only in the team, he is the Captain.

Here is the news report from Bangladesher Khela.
Old June 29, 2004, 10:52 PM
Street Cricketer

new faces welcome