facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the decision?
Yes 18 30.00%
No 18 30.00%
Kinda 24 40.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29, 2011, 01:47 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
That newspaper article also said the board refused to extend my contract as bowling coach, when, as you know, they offered me an extension and wanted me to stay. There will always be inaccuracies, rumours and mistakes in articles. I recall speaking to media second

Ross Turner's appointment is a brilliant one. He is a a very smart operator and if he is allowed to, he will revolutionise thinking and results with the players beneath the national team.

I'm still in touch with a few of the players and they are extremely fit compared to a few months ago. Grant is doing a wonderful job as conditioning coach now he's been given the total responsibility of fitness. I will look forward to seeing how the players can improve their cricket skills ahead of the Zim tour. Because that is not a tour to take lightly and a potential slip up if the guys are not ready.

My best wishes go to Stuart. I hope he does a great job.
Ian do you believe the role of coach is overestimated by cricket fans ? I mean how responsible can a coach be if a players gets carried by adrenaline and chucks his wicket away and refuses to learn from his mistakes. How much difference can a coach make other than strategy or some changes to technique ?

Last edited by paindu; June 29, 2011 at 02:33 AM..

Old June 29, 2011, 05:46 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindu
Ian do you believe the role of coach is overestimated by cricket fans ? I mean how responsible can a coach be if a players gets carried by adrenaline and chucks his wicket away and refuses to learn from his mistakes. How much difference can a coach make other than strategy or some changes to technique ?
Firstly, a GREAT coach can make a BIG difference. Kirsten did for India and Flower is doing it for England. Below national level, coaches become EVEN MORE important as they are charged with developing talent. So a coach's role is not overestimated in my view.

What fans do overestimate is how quickly that coach can make a difference. And as you mention there, if the players don't learn from mistakes then the coach cannot force them.

However, a coach at international level has to be able to get those points across. He also has to be an inspiration for the squad and be a hard-working coach who understands how to get the best from players around him and still keep the door open for others to have a chance.

Fans have unrealistic hopes and dreams compared to the reality, many times. This is why successive head coaches have to keep pointing out where the team is the rankings, as the rankings tell the reality. They only do this because the fans expect far more than can be delivered in the time frame or with the resources.

What a Head Coach CAN do immediately though is change the mindset of the players into a winning one. No more 'if we get 240 that's good enough' mentality. Time will tell if there are some good signs over the next 6 months.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:
Firstly, a GREAT coach can make a BIG difference. Kirsten did for India and Flower is doing it for England. Below national level, coaches become EVEN MORE important as they are charged with developing talent. So a coach's role is not overestimated in my view.

What fans do overestimate is how quickly that coach can make a difference. And as you mention there, if the players don't learn from mistakes then the coach cannot force them.

However, a coach at international level has to be able to get those points across. He also has to be an inspiration for the squad and be a hard-working coach who understands how to get the best from players around him and still keep the door open for others to have a chance.

Fans have unrealistic hopes and dreams compared to the reality, many times. This is why successive head coaches have to keep pointing out where the team is the rankings, as the rankings tell the reality. They only do this because the fans expect far more than can be delivered in the time frame or with the resources.

What a Head Coach CAN do immediately though is change the mindset of the players into a winning one. No more 'if we get 240 that's good enough' mentality. Time will tell if there are some good signs over the next 6 months.
Do you think that we'll be ready to beat both West Indies and Pakistan at home? (Both Test + Odi's)
Old June 29, 2011, 06:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

only time will tell,
but I'm worried about our bowling ,not the batting.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
only time will tell,
but I'm worried about our bowling ,not the batting.
I'm worried about both.
If the bowlers are conceding 350+, how can we expect to win on a regular basis?
And if the batsmen are bowled out for a sub 78 score, how can you expect the bowlers to defend it.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:57 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah have to agree with you Ian. But do you think India would have achieved under Kirsten if the captain would have been say anyone other than Dhoni or if he did not have the embarassment of riches both in terms of quality and experience. There is no denying his quality just that I think the perfomers make the coach look good or bad which is rather unfair.

Consider this, you are framing the strategy for bowling to Sehwag. Now there is no roket science to it and you state the obvious to the bowlers of where to bowl. Now you are really relying on that individual's skill and temparament to execute the plans, right. Same for the batsman, you can hammer into them to build an innings, but it is the perfomer who has to sort himself out and coach can be a mere catalyst.

Let me present another analogy, if a teacher prepares a bunch of really ambitious and talented students for an examination and they do well, the credit goes to the teacher and if he is putting similar or greater effort for not so great students and they do not perform in exam, how much blame lies with the teacher and how much with student.

Your points are valid, just that I disagree with lot on the forum who go for coach's head for every failure. Imo, coach can be only facilitator, a consultant, a motivator. But it really is about that individual and how he fares in his battles.

On a side note, I think it is fantastic that we get your contribution on the forum. This in unprecedented anywhere else to my knowledge
Old June 29, 2011, 07:24 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Hopefully the new coach will lay down the law
Old June 29, 2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah have to agree with you Ian. But do you think India would have achieved under Kirsten if the captain would have been say anyone other than Dhoni or if he did not have the embarassment of riches both in terms of quality and experience. There is no denying his quality just that I think the perfomers make the coach look good or bad which is rather unfair.

Consider this, you are framing the strategy for bowling to Sehwag. Now there is no roket science to it and you state the obvious to the bowlers of where to bowl. Now you are really relying on that individual's skill and temparament to execute the plans, right. Same for the batsman, you can hammer into them to build an innings, but it is the perfomer who has to sort himself out and coach can be a mere catalyst.

Let me present another analogy, if a teacher prepares a bunch of really ambitious and talented students for an examination and they do well, the credit goes to the teacher and if he is putting similar or greater effort for not so great students and they do not perform in exam, how much blame lies with the teacher and how much with student.

Your points are valid, just that I disagree with lot on the forum who go for coach's head for every failure. Imo, coach can be only facilitator, a consultant, a motivator. But it really is about that individual and how he fares in his battles.

On a side note, I think it is fantastic that we get your contribution on the forum. This in unprecedented anywhere else to my knowledge
Yep, the players are the main people and the coach can only prepare them as best he can, quite correct.

My point was really that a good coach can get better results when he knows what he is doing. Kirsten realised quickly that India didn't need changing just nurturing. Dhoni and Kirsten (with Tendulkar) have instilled the right atmosphere of success for the players to flourish. Greg Chappell did not do that in India. He is a great coach but tried to change India and was a failure. This is the Australian way sometimes. That is the difference I refer to.

Fans call for the head of a coach usually because the players are HEROES to them and they are unlikely to ask for Tamim, Shakib or Imrul to be dropped. So they would rather blame a coach.

A coach can only teach new skills, encourage mindsets and make the environment one of winning. The rest is up to the players.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Ian, who do you think will be a good replacement for Shahadat in the test series as he is injured? I think Nazmul should be given a chance.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Do you think that we'll be ready to beat both West Indies and Pakistan at home? (Both Test + Odi's)
I said at the WC we could beat anyone. Julien and me went on TV and said we could make the semi finals if we got all the cricket departments right on the day. Unfortunately, the batting misfired twice and cost us.

I do believe that belief is very important for Bangladesh to do well. When I arrived, the fast bowlers were afraid of making mistakes. They mustn't be afraid. To win matches you sometimes have to risk losing them - specially in Test Cricket.

On paper, both West Indies and Pakistan appear better teams. And I am slightly concerned over the lack of cricket practice since April. But by the time WI and Pakistan come to Bangladesh then I am sure the guys will be ready.

It would be good for players like Ryad, Shahriar and Nazmul to get more opportunities to shine. Shahadat (if fit) is a key bowler. Plus it would be good to see some new faces getting the opportunity to bed into the squad as well. I would like to see a move away from the dominance of spin and more into finding a hard hitting/fast bowling all-rounder. I always thought that if Dollar worked hard on his batting he could bat at 7 or 8 and bowl. I would also hope that Syed Rasel has the chance to play again as he is a super swing bowler when the pitches are flat.

So I feel Bangladesh has enough to make a really competitive series with both WI and Pakistan. We need more that JUST Tamim and Shakib if we are going to permanently start the rise up the rankings.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I said at the WC we could beat anyone. Julien and me went on TV and said we could make the semi finals if we got all the cricket departments right on the day. Unfortunately, the batting misfired twice and cost us.

I do believe that belief is very important for Bangladesh to do well. When I arrived, the fast bowlers were afraid of making mistakes. They mustn't be afraid. To win matches you sometimes have to risk losing them - specially in Test Cricket.

On paper, both West Indies and Pakistan appear better teams. And I am slightly concerned over the lack of cricket practice since April. But by the time WI and Pakistan come to Bangladesh then I am sure the guys will be ready.

It would be good for players like Ryad, Shahriar and Nazmul to get more opportunities to shine. Shahadat (if fit) is a key bowler. Plus it would be good to see some new faces getting the opportunity to bed into the squad as well. I would like to see a move away from the dominance of spin and more into finding a hard hitting/fast bowling all-rounder. I always thought that if Dollar worked hard on his batting he could bat at 7 or 8 and bowl. I would also hope that Syed Rasel has the chance to play again as he is a super swing bowler when the pitches are flat.

So I feel Bangladesh has enough to make a really competitive series with both WI and Pakistan. We need more that JUST Tamim and Shakib if we are going to permanently start the rise up the rankings.
Yep, I mean, we can be a two man team in ODI's, as it is shorter, and there is a place for the team to play around the two players. But in tests you need 7 or 8 of the team to perform in all tests consistently?

And who do you think should replace Shahadat? Nazmul in my opinion.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yep, I mean, we can be a two man team in ODI's, as it is shorter, and there is a place for the team to play around the two players. But in tests you need 7 or 8 of the team to perform in all tests consistently?

And who do you think should replace Shahadat? Nazmul in my opinion.
Nazmul would be in EVERY team I selected - he is such a smart bowler and has great control. I think he is the 'new' Mash. Jamie never saw it though and left him out all the time.

Test bowling attack: Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul, Shakib, Ryad

Maybe the ZIM series is a chance to take a new quick bowler too?
Old June 29, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Nazmul would be in EVERY team I selected - he is such a smart bowler and has great control. I think he is the 'new' Mash. Jamie never saw it though and left him out all the time.

Test bowling attack: Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul, Shakib, Ryad

Maybe the ZIM series is a chance to take a new quick bowler too?
Some people say that he is to slow, and I keep telling them that raw pace isn't everything in cricket. Why do people have that perception?
Old June 29, 2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Some people say that he is to slow, and I keep telling them that raw pace isn't everything in cricket. Why do people have that perception?
Nazmul bowls 127-130 kph so it's quick enough. Chaminda Vaas is now 123 kph and still playing as an overseas player in the UK in T20 and county cricket and doing brilliantly.

If you can control and move the ball (as Nazmul can) then medium pace bowling is perfectly acceptable. Not everyone is Shoaib Akthar. And Nazmul bowls the best slower balls I have seen and is the best change of pace bowler in Bangladesh. On flat pitches you need variations (as we saw in the WC) and in Test matches you have to take 20 wickets usually to win a Test match. This means a varied attack that can keep going. Nazmul can keep going.

Sometimes a coach gets a thought into his head about a player and regardless what that player might do he will never play. I recommended Nazmul to play in every ODI I was involved, yet he just played the first one against NZ on October 5th. The problem then is that coach is stuck with that idea and will not admit they are wrong. Then they find excuses to justify their reasoning to the media and fans. In Nazmul's case it was his speed.... but this is just stupid IMO.

I hope the next HC has an open view on the talent available in Bangladesh. If he gets it right it could be good for all those who were discarded, or told they were not good enough, under the previous regime
Old June 29, 2011, 08:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Nazmul bowls 127-130 kph so it's quick enough. Chaminda Vaas is now 123 kph and still playing as an overseas player in the UK in T20 and county cricket and doing brilliantly.

If you can control and move the ball (as Nazmul can) then medium pace bowling is perfectly acceptable. Not everyone is Shoaib Akthar. And Nazmul bowls the best slower balls I have seen and is the best change of pace bowler in Bangladesh. On flat pitches you need variations (as we saw in the WC) and in Test matches you have to take 20 wickets usually to win a Test match. This means a varied attack that can keep going. Nazmul can keep going.

Sometimes a coach gets a thought into his head about a player and regardless what that player might do he will never play. I recommended Nazmul to play in every ODI I was involved, yet he just played the first one against NZ on October 5th. The problem then is that coach is stuck with that idea and will not admit they are wrong. Then then find excuses to justify their reasoning to the media and fans. In Nazmul's case it was his speed.... but this is just stupid IMO.

I hope the next HC has an open view on the talent available in Bangladesh. If he gets it right it could be good for all those who were discarded, or told they were not good enough, under the previous regime
Who was told they weren't good enough? And didn't he perform quite well against NZ?
Old June 29, 2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Who was told they weren't good enough? And didn't he perform quite well against NZ?
The Head Coach said the players in the squad were the only ones worth looking at and were the best available. There was no one outside of the squad, effectively. This is well-documented and not new.

But my personal view is you should never block out talent.

Yes Nazmul bowled a brilliant last two overs to stop NZ from winning.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The Head Coach said the players in the squad were the only ones worth looking at and were the best available. There was no one outside of the squad, effectively. This is well-documented and not new.

But my personal view is you should never block out talent.

Yes Nazmul bowled a brilliant last two overs to stop NZ from winning.
So Jamie Siddons said that there were no players who could match Raqibul's skills? Pffft.
Old June 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Banglaguy is nachor banda. Taklu Dar Naam beer korey charbe.
Old June 29, 2011, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

I often wondered why wasn't Nazmul picked more regular basis. *Sigh...
Old June 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

nazmul had some good contol in swing intially in his career. bnormally his stock delivery was inswinger and he surprised batters with occasional outswingers. though his main problem was variation in length and pace.

i think under IAN PONT he now has built up some variation and i feel he now should be given more chance in the national team.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

The more Ian speaks, the more I regret how we couldnt make it happen for him. I really thought someone specialized and forward thinking can take over or set up the Grameen Pace Hunt program and find raw bowling talents for our future... I hope it happens some day..
Old July 3, 2011, 05:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Sorry Stuart.. but you seem to have made SL into BD team. First test and todays ODI reminds me of only one team. BANGLADESH!!! wonder what will you do for us. I'm truly scared before you even get here...
Have you watched the last match ? And are you watching todays match ?

I think we jump to conclusion too early. Give him at least 1 year then we should be able to see if he is doing any good or bad to the team.
Old July 3, 2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Have you watched the last match ? And are you watching todays match ?

I think we jump to conclusion too early. Give him at least 1 year then we should be able to see if he is doing any good or bad to the team.
I will ADD this:

I think it's important for any Head Coach to stop MOANING about the problems in bangladesh and get on with the job. I feel some coaches can focus on what is wrong with everything rather than what is right about it.

What Bangladesh needs is a positive, outgoing and exciting coach who will try to win all matches and encourage players to go and play superb cricket. Every country and country board has issues. You just got to get on with the job and make sure the team improves.

Results will uplift if the coach and players believe in what they are doing. Bangladesh doesn't need a whinger who complains about this, that and everything.
Old July 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Absolutely spot on Coach.
Any job in the world has loads of bothering issues. You just got to settle down and focus on the goal.
Old July 3, 2011, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Ian spoke my mind. Thanks Ian! Thats why you are a great coach, and some are not.