facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Going against my own conventional wisdom - I think Golla should be in the team for the ENG match. But the trick is to get him to start hitting right after 10 overs are up.

Against SA, one of the good things that happened was that JO did not stick around longer than necessary. He scored 17 off 41 - which is not too bad. But if he stuck around longer e.g. scored 34 off 82, our win would not have happened.

The coach / captain / management should tell JO that we need you to stay there until over #10. But after that, start hitting out without regards to preserving wickets.

That way if JO gets some runs it helps the team. On the other hand, if JO gets out that helps the team as well.

SN should not be brought back before the Ireland game.

On Razib Vs. Rasel - I don't know what to think. If the pitch is as fast as everyone in the world except Miraz says it is, we should opt for Razib. But I doubt that WIndies pitch would really be helping Razib much.

Bottom line - stick with the same team.

Old April 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
Street Cricketer

In any case JO should be replaced by SN........
Old April 10, 2007, 10:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
Don't worry gents as SN will be back tomorow. Habibul implied this in the post match interview with Shivramakrisnan on Saterday. So fingers crossed.
i hope u r right.

i don't wanna jo anymore.do you think jo's technique is better than nafees's?no way man.nafees may be technecally not better as aftab or ash,but he is still far better than jo.so,if he is also asked see off the first ten overs,he will be able to do so and then,he may carry the innings from ytheir and score a hundred.but jo will never do that,he will score 20-25 from 50-60 balls and will be out immediately.so,i want sn back.

in hablu's case,he should retire from odi's after the wc.or we may give him a series or two at max.but thats it.no more.
Junior
Old April 10, 2007, 10:16 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Going against my own conventional wisdom - I think Golla should be in the team for the ENG match. But the trick is to get him to start hitting right after 10 overs are up.

Against SA, one of the good things that happened was that JO did not stick around longer than necessary. He scored 17 off 41 - which is not too bad. But if he stuck around longer e.g. scored 34 off 82, our win would not have happened.

The coach / captain / management should tell JO that we need you to stay there until over #10. But after that, start hitting out without regards to preserving wickets.

That way if JO gets some runs it helps the team. On the other hand, if JO gets out that helps the team as well.

SN should not be brought back before the Ireland game.

On Razib Vs. Rasel - I don't know what to think. If the pitch is as fast as everyone in the world except Miraz says it is, we should opt for Razib. But I doubt that WIndies pitch would really be helping Razib much.

Bottom line - stick with the same team.
we may be the one and only team where we pray that one of our openers get out just after ten overs.incredible.then,you want jo to hit !!!next day,u will want hablu to take wickets.
Junior
Old April 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
Test Cricketer

There's not much doubt in my mind that if Golla had stuck around a few more overs, the win would never have been possible. Ideally he'd bat till the 10th over and go off feigning injury.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

I somehow agree with Spitty. The more golla will play, the less our winning chance will be. Yeah, its true that keeping wicket in first 10 overs is very important. Its also true that, we don't expect some fireworks for Ash, Mash everyday. They did some extraordinary work against SA. Its not possible to repeat those in most matches against top gun. Therefore, we need to take the opportunity of the power play also. In that regards, JO is a total waste. We dropped SN just after failing three/fours matches. We know what he did last year and what he is capable of. Whereas we keep JO in the team failing years after years. We need to move forward. We need to solve the problem (which obviously will come) on the way to our goal. Keeping JO in ODI team is a backward movement.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:58 AM

Look guys, it doesnt really matter in a sense. There is no guaranty that Golla WILL NOT get out before 10 overs, same goes to Nafees and Tamim, because of our well known inconsistency. Since Golla & Tamim had reasonable start in last two game, it's high time they may fail next. So I dont mind who plays and who sit out between Golla and Nafees. Let selectors decide it, and we fans should support who ever plays in the game.... hope for the best.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

JO haters, please watch how SA built their innings today.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
They stroked singles for the first 10 overs and made 36. I would have no qualms at all about his selection if he was able to accumulate runs in 1s and 2s and rotate the strike in this manner but he is not. Although our early run rate is often not too far off the 3.6 South Africa scored at during their first 10 overs, a large proportion of our runs in the early overs come from boundaries, some of which are often very streaky. The remaining deliveries are either left or blocked, which only serves to build pressure and allow the bowlers to get on top. Omar also continued to play in this manner right up until the 20th over against New Zealand, which was unacceptable no matter what spin you put on it. The South Africans at least consolidated after the initial cautious period.

And that's not even to mention the fact that the pitch we played on against New Zealand was far, far easier to bat on than this one.

Last edited by Aritro; April 10, 2007 at 11:16 AM..
Old April 10, 2007, 11:31 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

There is no point jumping up and down with the team when they are performing.

Against England same team should play. The only change that is possible is replacing JO with Farhad Reza and sending Mushfiqur Rahim as opener with Tamim.

Mushfiq has got the technique and he can start slowly but eventually can utilize the platform like he did against India.

We have no viable replacement for Hablu and similarly England has no replacement for Vaughan. The less said, the better.

We need someone to get ready to take the button from Bashar, I am not convinced with SN as he is not performing against top teams.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
We need someone to get ready to take the button from Bashar.
Which button? Trouser Button? Whose? Bashar's or Gullu's?
Old April 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
I somehow agree with Spitty. The more golla will play, the less our winning chance will be. Yeah, its true that keeping wicket in first 10 overs is very important. Its also true that, we don't expect some fireworks for Ash, Mash everyday. They did some extraordinary work against SA. Its not possible to repeat those in most matches against top gun. Therefore, we need to take the opportunity of the power play also. In that regards, JO is a total waste. We dropped SN just after failing three/fours matches. We know what he did last year and what he is capable of. Whereas we keep JO in the team failing years after years. We need to move forward. We need to solve the problem (which obviously will come) on the way to our goal. Keeping JO in ODI team is a backward movement.
absolutely right.
Junior
Old April 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
of both.
Junior
Old April 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
I meant "button" which has got the same meaning as "key".

I hope this will clarify.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I meant "button" which has got the same meaning as "key".

I hope this will clarify.
But what you want to open with the key? Bashar's trouser? To see what? If he wears boxer or brief?
Old April 10, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

brief. BD people don't wear boxers. Even if they wear they will wear a brief underneat and not put on anything over it, lol.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshCricket
The big problem will be how we can limit our limitations.
I think you are right, if you want to limit our limitations, it will be a BIG problem.
I think it will be much smaller problem if we try to break our self imposed limitation. i.e. stop thinking that we need a ball killer (as well as run killer) opener to build a innings. If you can't score runs even with 1s and 2s then you don't build anything... just waste an opportunity to win.
Old April 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think it will be much smaller problem if we try to break our self imposed limitation. i.e. stop thinking that we need a ball killer (as well as run killer) opener to build a innings. If you can't score runs even with 1s and 2s then you don't build anything... just waste an opportunity to win.
ditto
Old April 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
I don't see any JO in their team. They can take singles, they can play all kinds of shots and they are also capable of playing an innings of substance when they get set.

In case you didn't know, ODI openers usually score more runs than other batsmen of the team, score more centuries and have better than 52% srike rate after playing 50+ ODIs

Anybody who understands cricket and follows BD team will not compare JO with other international class openers.
Old April 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Nobody is comparing JO with anyone (he is a class of his own ). Look the way SA implemented their strategy- they went slow until the 9th over, did not lose more than one wicket, then they broke the opposition bowlers during next power play(yes, everyone agrees that JO has to charge the bowlers after first ten overs and no one cares if he gets out at this point trying to do so), and kept on dominating them in following overs.

Last edited by TheWatcher; April 10, 2007 at 12:28 PM..
Old April 10, 2007, 12:35 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Nobody is comparing JO with anyone (he is a class of his own ). Look the way SA implemented their strategy- they went slow until the 9th over, did not lose more than one wicket, then they broke the opposition bowlers during next power play(yes, everyone agrees that JO has to charge the bowlers after first ten overs and no one cares if he gets out at this point trying to do so), and kept on dominating them in following overs.
dude Jo has got to go. everyone knows he wont be the staying in his spot for long. I say its better to stick with SN and let him come out of the bad form by playing more matches and not giving him rest. I seriously doubt that resting him will improve his ability.
Old April 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
There is no point jumping up and down with the team when they are performing.

Against England same team should play. The only change that is possible is replacing JO with Farhad Reza and sending Mushfiqur Rahim as opener with Tamim.

Mushfiq has got the technique and he can start slowly but eventually can utilize the platform like he did against India.

We have no viable replacement for Hablu and similarly England has no replacement for Vaughan. The less said, the better.

We need someone to get ready to take the button from Bashar, I am not convinced with SN as he is not performing against top teams.
I'm in favour of Reza's selection as he certainly knows how to strike a cricket ball and I think we could use one more hitter. The trouble is that when you have someone in your team who can supposedly bowl, there is a temptation to actually allow him to do so and in Farhad's case that'll only end in tears.
Old April 10, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
yeah, they did it coz the are capable of. what JO does, he does some thuk thak and wastes balls and when time comes to hit he fails in every occasion. i means he continues his thuk thak and gets out. if he plays the whole 50 overs, he will never be able to hit. if so what the point to keep him in the team. just to waste the balls?
Old April 10, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Charging the bowlers in JO's book = getting caught at point, gully or slip.

Why would we want an opener to get out if he can bat for 10 overs? And there's no guarantee that he can do this everyday. Getting out after 10 overs means wasting a platform to build on (for an opener which is just as bad as getting out early). And the #3 batsman may need few overs to get settled, too. There's no guarantee that Tamim can do the damage control job everyday. And why should we think about damage control right from the start (before any real damage is done)?

If we really want to cripple ourselves, then we should send Razzak to open with Tamim and play someone else in place of JO who can do anything useful (bat, bowl or bat+bowl)
Old April 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
I seriously doubt that resting him will improve his ability.
I completely agree with you on this point- bring him back and we are most likely to see the same old SN who generally gets out for a score below 20 (against top teams, not talking about matches against minnows), within first ten overs, and with a strike rate that's not much better than that of JO.