facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rubel, Ashraful, Tamim
Default The selectors contact will expire on July 31, 2007

News:
"Former national captain Akram Khan has joined as a new selector from June and it is subject of discussion who he will work with once the contracts of fellow selectors Faruque Ahmed and Athar Ali Khan expire on July 31."

http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html#1

It is a great news that the contact is going to expire soon because they did the following mistakes.

-- selecting out of form players such as Bashar, Sharier Nafiz.
-- selecting no-quality batsman Javed Omar and no-quality bowler Sharif.
-- Not selecting form player Tushar Imran
-- Not selecting Raqibul who has a great quality to play in test.(As Pakistani coach Aaqiv Javed mentioned)
-- Not selecting player like Tamim while Smith, Gayle, AB de Villiers, Sehwag etc. are playing test.
-- wanted to keep Bashar as test captain. BCB took a bold step to repalce him.

what do you think ?

Old June 10, 2007, 03:44 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

are you that much of an []? ever heard of contract renewal? Besides quit blaming the selectors for mistakes that are made by the players and not the selectors. You have to realize that its ultimately the players that have to do their job for a team to succeed.

Last edited by Zunaid; June 10, 2007 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: language please
Old June 10, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

here's a bit more fuel for the fire.

from another thread: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=21899

" tough to stay g-rated with this selection. no acknowledgement of what was exposed against india, and no accountability as always. responsibility? that must be someone else's business as it has been since faruikka, ata and that incompetent bunch were brought in to demonstrate what arbitrary selection is all about, and take their exasperating limitations to newer, smellier lows. SHAME ON THEM. no sweet farewells from here when the time comes to depart their little fiefdom after the tour.

glad to see mushy and razz back on the test side. sad, but sadly not surprised see tamim, aftab and alok still getting the shaft, the first two being penalized for putting runs on the board and being kept out the longer version of the game. poor tushar can now join tapash in faruikka's closet of unfair anxieties somewhere in the darkest corners of his sterile mind, and watch the game on BTV.

nafees iqbal would've been the esoteric choice who could've saved abir’s career if abir wilts under this added pressure, fails to do anything in SL, and never recover from the failure. i hope he succeeds, we cannot do without him before tamim, nirala (raquibul hasan) and maybe a resurrected nafees iqbal are ready to assume the opening duties with success.

junaid, dollar, and maybe even nirala could've been previewed in this tour, and added value to the future of our cricket. that didn't happen because our "old school", and i'm being as generous and polite as i can be here, wouldn't recognize a vacuum even if it sucked all the air out of their comfort zone and suffocated us to death instead. yet another classic from faruikka and co. they just had to dance this last dance, and give the buira brigade yet another chance to redeem themselves at the expense of the team as a whole, and take the questionable talents of mehrab jr, riyad and sharif along for the futile ride. that being said, i sincerely hope that they prove the rest of us wrong and succeed... i'm not a betting man, but wouldn't bet on that little possibility if i was.

wildcard: there's always the hybrid mashraful to the rescue. sad, because this was a good opportunity for bangladeshi cricket to be "rescured". it was indeed moronic of this fan to hope that mashraful will have a better team to debut with. i guess the tougher the challenge, the sweeter the success if our young tigers do the very best they can, and those glorious uncertanties tilt our way.

anyway... GO TIGERS, GO MASHRAFUL !!!"

and from the same thread: -

QUOTE FROM SS - "Agree we with what Sohel_NR said, what our selectors are doing to solve our main problems by selection process, especially for batting! tamim and aftab should have been chosen, but who will they replace, also alok did OK in the leagues (nothing extraordinary, but he might have to prove more). Selectors still do not have any solutions yet to create a team that can play more than three to four days of test cricket. So expect to see another debacle. I also think top performers in recent leagues should have been given chances.True but don't you think they need to tested little bit more in leagues before getting drafted in national side."

good concern in bold there, and thanks for your thoughts bro. let me clarify mine.

i just think that there's a real vacuum in our team in terms of: 1) the well-tempered opener, 2) the third seamer, and 3) the other ODI opener who could've taken advantage of those powerplays. that vacuum created opportunity to bring in nirala, dollar and junaid and have them get their feet wet, so that they, and their coaches can have a better idea about the things they need to do in order to perform at the international level. why? two reasons: 1) the colossal gap in quality between domestic and international opposition at this level, and 2) the fact that traditional inadequacies - namely frequency of FC matches, quality of FC matches, and the utter lack of variety in the wickets those matches are played on - don't give our players too many options other than to learn on the job.

i'd have selected alok not only based on his domestic performance, but also because he has the natural talent to 1) middle whatever comes his way, 2) rotate the strike at will, 3) beat opposition batsman in flight and take wickets, and 4) field better than any other bangladeshi at point. he should be an automatic choice for both our sides. period. rafique, enam and alok bowling in tandem on the murali-friendly lankan pitch could've been the formidable test attack we obvious won't have the chance to see this time around.

nafees iqbal would've been my esoteric choice because 1) abir needs a rest to extend his career mentally, and 2) his talent je kono muhurte legue jete pare. players without talent will never have that possibility to look forward to. if he failed in two consecutive test matches opening with the younger iqbal brother, i'd have given nirala a go. junaid would've opened with tamim in all three ODIs and dollar would've been my third seamer in all three tests. pointless to talk about that now.

club cricket prevents a longer, more professional FC nationals from coming into its own. club cricket is not FC cricket and should be done away with in favor of 6 divisional capital-based professional teams, each with several junior sides to harness and groom young talent. another story (here's a few ideas about that league of our own, fair performance standards, and other prerequisites for selection into the senior side: http://snr1967.blogspot.com/2007/05/...-eventual.html , read the second part not yet published by BC).

whom would i replace based on their recent form and technical limitations? HaBa, golla, pilot, abir, sharif and mehrab junior.

HaBa and golla: forgive me for not believing that HaBa and his dot-ball buddy golla have anything else to give or the capacity to learn from their mistakes. they have had ample time to prove that maybe old dogs can learn new tricks and failed. HaBa will never learn to leash those compulsions, and the strokeless wonder from mohammadpur will never learn to rotate the strike. their recent form and technical flaws cannot justify their selection in any reasonable way, shape or form. i don't believe that the C in BCB should stand for "charity" anymore.

pilot: because mushy's the future, and the better batsman in a severely batting-challenged team.

abir: because he may not recover from another string of failures, a distinct possibility against the likes of vaas, malinga, fernando and even maharoof. i don't think he'll get as far as murali. already under tremendous pressure to perform, and the added humiliation of being stripped of the vice captaincy further depleting his morale, i don't think he'll perform in sri lanka. he needed to sit this one out and rediscover his center.

sharif and mehrab jr: because of their limitations and to give players without those limitations a chance.

it’s all academic now anyway. i just hope that my reservations are wrong, that faruikka’s favorites can ridicule my outrage with their brilliance, and that our boys will grace us with pleasant surprises in their tour of lanka. i'll gladly eat my words if that happens."

no more.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

They've stated that they will not seek renewal.

Faruk and Ather did a tremendous job as the first batch of Professional Selectors of Bangladesh.I salute them.
Old June 10, 2007, 05:32 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful*Tamim*Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
are you that much of an []? ever heard of contract renewal? Besides quit blaming the selectors for mistakes that are made by the players and not the selectors. You have to realize that its ultimately the players that have to do their job for a team to succeed.
a bit too harsh,don't you think?

Last edited by Zunaid; June 10, 2007 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: quote edited
Old June 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Yeah bangladesh is in this position for the selectors change them and we will have ashrafull scoring 1000 and player will come flying test ready...
I don't like some decision made by these selectors and think like the coach we need a change but also don't believe bd will start playing like a test team right away...
Every body is so eager to make tamim a test player... you know what will happen if you make a player play test before he is ready?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Yeah bangladesh is in this position for the selectors change them and we will have ashrafull scoring 1000 and player will come flying test ready...
I don't like some decision made by these selectors and think like the coach we need a change but also don't believe bd will start playing like a test team right away...
Every body is so eager to make tamim a test player... you know what will happen if you make a player play test before he is ready?
whoz ready ?
Old June 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Wrong mate. The selectors play a crucial part in the team's performance because after all, they pick the teams! I don't like faruque........to me he's a poor selector who's biased at times. Anyone but him would be great.
Old June 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Wrong mate. The selectors play a crucial part in the team's performance because after all, they pick the teams! I don't like faruque........to me he's a poor selector who's biased at times. Anyone but him would be great.

i agree with you on that!!!
Old June 10, 2007, 10:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

introduction of Mohammad Sharif and letting play Khaled Mashud in the second test and excluding Aftab from test - SN still playing in the team with HB and real 4-day fighters from NCL are awaiting for a break.

heck its BD and like in politics je jar ja khushi moton kore jaay, jobabdihita je civilization er shobche boro shompod eitai amra janina - is this civil?
Old June 11, 2007, 12:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I believe the selectors have done a tremendous job over their tenure in the post.
If you blame the selectors for some shortcoming and failures of our team, you would also have to praise them for all we have achieved over the last few years.

It wasnt easy job when they first started, as they didnt have any preceedings to follow to. They were the first professional selectors of the country and had to learn things while on job.

And just cuz some xyz ( aka Aaqib Javed or whoever) says another xyz is a good utility player, i see no reason for our selectors to hurry him back into the team.

Stop giving too much credibility to some whoever-used-to-be-good-once players who is doing ok for himself in age group coaching but yet to prove his worth in big leagues.

And Amra_korbo_joy, one question mate...
How could you put Tamim in the same league as Gayle,Smith,Sehwag ??

As good as a prospect he is, Tamim is only a 18 year old who has played a handful odi for his country and despite his eye smeathering big shots, yet to establish him name in the crickting world. Im not saying Tamim is lacking class or ability, im saying its tooooo early to even compare him with them.

Gayle,Smith, Shewag et all has been there for over few years and already proven their worth with the bat.
Stop making such ridiculous comments.

I say, congrats to the selectors for a great job.
And now its time to move forward.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 11, 2007, 12:11 AM
Cricket Legend

What Sydney said.

The selectors have been an important part of the insanely great job that the 'back office' of the Bangladesh cricket team have done.

I'd advise the frothing at the mouth partisans of particular players to have a cup of tea and a nice lie down.
Old June 11, 2007, 12:31 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Oh My god I cant still believe that some of you are still thinking of selectors as the main factor of the cause. Selector has the hardest job and its the most thankless job because of critics like us. YEs they do make mistakes but its not a big mistake as most of you think it is. And also you must note there were many instances where selectors succeded. Remember the inclusion of Tamim in the world cup? At that time many of you were jumping at the selector for his inclusion but it payed of. Besides, Its not all that easy as many of you think. Yes politics is involved, but thats part of like and all boards have some politics. Its also human nature to be biased, and Im sure if I had a relative who could play relatively well I would be trying my best to make him play as much as possible. So yes lets all get over it and support and THANK them for once for such a demanding job. And Faruk Isnt all that bad and I hope to see him continue.
Old June 11, 2007, 12:53 AM
Club Cricketer

Lets compare two positions.
01. When these selectors were appointed.
02. NOW. When some of us are expecting ODI series win against Srilanka in Srilanka!
Compare yourself. If the NO 02. Is better....
Why don't we give some credit to the selectors for their success?!!
Old June 11, 2007, 03:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Oh My god I cant still believe that some of you are still thinking of selectors as the main factor of the cause. Selector has the hardest job and its the most thankless job because of critics like us. YEs they do make mistakes but its not a big mistake as most of you think it is. And also you must note there were many instances where selectors succeded. Remember the inclusion of Tamim in the world cup? At that time many of you were jumping at the selector for his inclusion but it payed of. Besides, Its not all that easy as many of you think. Yes politics is involved, but thats part of like and all boards have some politics. Its also human nature to be biased, and Im sure if I had a relative who could play relatively well I would be trying my best to make him play as much as possible. So yes lets all get over it and support and THANK them for once for such a demanding job. And Faruk Isnt all that bad and I hope to see him continue.
edited and pasted from the other thread: -

"in a non-orwellian world, respect is earned and given to the ones who earn it. faruikka and ata, obviously haven't earned mine. i spit on the inequitous actions of all those who betray the public trust without apology AND with extreme prejudice.

as a proud bangladeshi citizen and taxpayer living in bangladesh, i have the right to demand explanations and reasonably vent my exasperation when i don't get them. we pay their salaries, they work for us and are obligated to explain themselves. the selectors need to show the bangladeshi people some respect. a good selection works when talented players deliver. i'm one those fans who questioned conventional wisdom and welcomed tamim, musy and shakzie as enthusiastically as i advocate the inclusion of junaid, nirala and dollar now with reservations. the continued exclusion of alok kapali raises ugly questions in the minds of many. since three 100s and one 50 in plus 24 wickets in 10 recent FC matches, and two 100s and one 50 plus 7 wickets in 5 recent List-A matches are obviously not good enough for them - we can only speculate as to what may be. what else does he have to do to desreve another chance while others in the team apparently have to do NOTHING to stay on? convert to islam and try to marry into faruikka's family ? tushar's a muslim and that didn't help him any, so could it be the nepotism or the toilomordon less than mediocre ex-players such as himself live for ?

the ACC probes into the BCB will reveal all in due time. palabe kothay ?

if one thinks that it's OK for the selectors to take credit for the good selections, they must also take responsibility for the bad ones. the current batch have never considered the latter. as national selectors, they have yet to present us with 1) transparent and well thought-out guidelines for defining and spotting talent, 2) a set of performance standards and other prerequisites for selection, and 3) ideas to start the ongoing process for nationwide talent scouting. time to pass the buck again i suppose ... i just hope that AK and the future selctors don't when their times comes."
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 11, 2007 at 04:38 AM..
Old June 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

For greater interest of BD cricket FARUQUE should go.
Old June 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Faruk can go if some one can garantee the new selectors will not pick Habibul Bashar and KMashud in near future unless lightening strikes and they become Domestic Cricket highest and second highest run makers. Well, if they can break the top five. heck if they can break top ten list. Not the Average but the actual runs. That would test their old bones too.

The rest is fine. Actually more than fine. I salute to them for their gambling ability.

By the way, it's contract not contact. They all have phones, email addresses and those don't have expiration dates.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; June 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM..