facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old January 30, 2009, 01:04 PM
Club Cricketer

Default AFC Challenge Cup 2009 - Qualifiers

Old March 26, 2009, 02:35 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Dido's surprises

National football head coach Edson 'Dido' Silva addressing a press conference yesterday as BFF vice-president Badal Roy (L) and national coach Shafiqul Islam Manik (R) listen at the BFF Bhaban.Photo: STAR

Al Musabbir Sadi
The Daily Star

Edson 'Dido' Silva named his national squad for next month's AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers in Dhaka, the Brazilian coach's first assignment for Bangladesh.
There were surprises in the 25-member preliminary squad, which will be short-listed to 23 before the competition, where the hosts compete with Myanmar, Cambodia and Mongolia/Macau, kicks off on April 26.
While veterans like Alfaz, Nazrul and Abul were axed after being a part of the national team's last mission, in Myanmar, unfamiliar names like fullback Rashed and holding midfielder Manik -- both under-20 players from BKSP -- have made the ranks.
It was also unexpected to see players like Mamun Mia and Emon Babu, both from B. League side Farashganj, join the elite list but Dido defended all his choices.
"It is a simple procedure to make the selection. I watched all the players," Dido told at a press conference at the BFF Bhaban yesterday.
"Although we are picking up the Challenge Cup team, our focus is on future, especially the SA Games. We have to give the young ones chances to show their worth," the Brazilian said.
"It doesn't mean we haven't picked up the best team," the coach explained.
"We don't have any under -20 or -23 leagues so I had to move from Dhaka to see the youngsters. The names that surprise you belong to Bangladesh's future through my eyes."
A shaven-headed Mamun has been tagged as an arrogant player who is always risk for his own team in terms of conceding penalties but Dido sees him as the fittest player of his 25.
"He is the underdog, I agree. But he has speed, can recover better than any other defender I have. All he needs is some football re-education. He deserved a call," he told this correspondent later adding that his other centre-backs have slowed down but he needs them for their experience in this position.
"I want to conquer the world," he said with a smile. " Our target is to win this (Challenge Cup) group and prepare our players for the future too.
"I know it is impossible to raise all the players' fitness level in four weeks' time but every one of this squad has a chance to play and prove their worth during training.
"Many players are confused about positioning and I will teach them how and where to move. I want to have players who will understand very fast what I ask of them. It's a tricky way to prepare them technically and tactically in this short time but we have to do that."
Dido picked up four strikers including newcomer Mithun Chowdhury, an under-23 player who plays for Chittagong Abahani and had represented all age-group national teams starting from under-14 level.
"My forwards are capable and need to increase their level."
Defending his decision to exclude Alfaz, who scored 17 goals in the B. League, Dido said that the ace striker was approaching the end of his career.
"If it had been a squad of 30 or 35 members, we could have called him. But what we do about such a great player? Do we honour him or insult him? We are focussing on future and it is time to think about that.
The inclusion of Himel, who made only one start for Mohammedan this season, as the third goalkeeper was questioned but the former Brazilian professional footballer said he was chosen with the SA Games in mind.
"We have two very good goalkeepers in Aminul and Biplab. Both are great but I will pick Aminul first because he is a natural talent who could play in any big league of the world. I am not exaggerating because I know how is it in big leagues," said Dido who played for Brazilian giants Santos and Flamengo.
In reply to a question, Dido informed that Abul needs to increase his speed to be considered for the national team again and he did not see Nazrul a centre-back.
"My assistant (Shafiqul Islam Manik) has told me he is a centre-back but Abahani played him as a fullback where is he did not look impressive."
"I have an excellent central defender in Rajani but Sujan and Saikat are both slow. Here, I need players like Mamun and after one month, he could turn out as an asset for the country."
Dido must trust Sujan, Saikat or Mamun as Rajani's partner in the centre of a flat four-back system all Brazilians love. Otherwise, he would have to use Ariful, the blue-eyed boy of all previous coaches despite committing numerous lethal mistakes in almost every game he played for national team and Brothers Union.
Bangladesh Football Federation vice-president and chairman of National Team Management Committee Badal Roy informed that ex-national fullback Imtiaz Sultan Johnny has been named manager of the team.
The training will start on Saturday but the BFF has yet to confirm where the camp would be held due to accommodation problems in BKSP.
Argentine trainer Ariel Coleman will arrive in Dhaka on Friday to join the camp.

SQUAD
Goalkeepers:
Aminul, Himel (Mohammedan), Biplab (Abahani); Defenders: Rajani, Nasir, Saikat (Mohammedan), Sujan, Waly (Abahani), Arif, Mishu (Brothers), Mamun Mia (Farashganj), Rashed (BKSP); Midfielders: Arman Aziz, Sharif (Mohammedan), Pranotosh, Zahed, Mamun (Abahani), Zahid, Munna (Brothers), Emon (Farashganj), Manik (BKSP), Forwards: Robin (Mohammedan), Emily (Abahani), Enamul (Farashganj), Mithun (Chittagong Abahani).
Old March 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

wow!! A Brazilian-Argentine combo meal. Mouth watering. SAF games'a Eendia'r khobor asey!! Go lal-shobuj.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cricket Legend

The national team could not practice in the morning because there was no national jersey. The so called national team management committee is undoing all the good work of Salahuddin. In the morning the team went to BNS by walking because management could not arrange an AC bus. They claim that it is not possible to hire an AC bus in Dhaka. In which world they live? Give me the job, I would do the job in 30 minutes. An AC bus cost 8000 tk/ day (32 seater). On the first day, all the officials were absent
Old March 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Cant believe India are the defending champions and we struggle to qualify! We used to be able to beat them on any given day!
Old March 31, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Cant believe India are the defending champions and we struggle to qualify! We used to be able to beat them on any given day!
maldives beats us. Bhutan no different. Nepal, SL Pakistan all have improved.

BKSP produces good players. We need more institution like that.

One of the problem I saw was when BKSP graduates enter the clubs, their game changes overnight because of the club tactics and wants (not need). This is sad (personal experience).
Old March 31, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

IMHO Bangladesh's football is dead and mummified, the only way we can come back stronger than ever before was to start from scratch.
Old April 11, 2009, 03:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Booters to warm up in Nepal
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh national football team will play a practice match in Nepal ahead of the AFC Challenge Cup, which starts on April 26 in Dhaka.

Bangladesh will arrive in Kathmandu on April 16 and will play one practice match in the Nepalese capital against Nepal Police Team (previously known as Mahendra Police Club) on April 18.

Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) are also trying to bring a team from Kolkata, India for another practice match in Dhaka before the competition begins.

Nepal Police participated in the country's top football league and in 2007, finished runners-up in the AFC President Cup in Pakistan. Bangladesh will return to Dhaka on April 20 to host the AFC Challenge Cup from April 26.

The hosts will take part in the meet along with Myanmar, Cambodia, Macau and Mongolia as part of the Group A qualifiers for a spot in the eight-team finals of the third edition of the minnows' competition.

Four group winners and the best runners-up will join defending champions India, runners-up Tajikistan and North Korea in the final round.

The AFC Cup champions will also qualify for the 2011 Asian Cup finals in Qatar.

The Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) has announced a 25-member squad on the last week of March. They are currently training under coach Dido.

The Brazilian coach and the team's Argentine trainer Ariel Coleman have stressed on the need for improved fitness levels for the players as they prepare for the international fixture later this month.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:06 AM
Club Cricketer

KATHMANDU: Bangladesh recorded a morale-boosting 1-0 victory over former AFC President’s Cup runners-up Nepal Police Club in a friendly ahead of the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers on Saturday.

Midfielder Arman Aziz separated the teams on a free kick in the 19th minute at the Police ground.

Nepal Police Club struggled in the first half, barring attempts by Jumanu Rai and Dipen Shrestha, but came back strongly after the breather. Bangladesh goalkeepers Aminul and Biplob made some brilliant saves to ensure a victory for their side.

Bangladesh’s Brazilian coach Dido tested all his players as they prepare to begin their campaign at home against Cambodia on April 26. They will face Myanmar on April 28 and Macau a day later.

Four group winners and the best runners-up will join defending champions India, runners-up Tajikistan and DPR Korea in the tournament proper.

The AFC Challenge Cup champions will also qualify for the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
Club Cricketer

Bangladesh's football coach Edson Silva Dido has asked the people of the country to be patient and remain in support of the team as they take on Cambodia in their first Group A match of the AFC Challenge Cup at the Bangabandhu National Stadium today.
"[My message for the people] is to stick behind the team. I would tell them not to give up because that would be the wrong attitude at this stage," said Dido during the pre-match press conference at a local hotel yesterday.
The Brazilian coach is on his first big assignment as Bangladesh coach and although he has voiced his concern over preparation, Dido promised eye-catching football.
"I am for attractive as well as efficient football. You know I come from a country where we believe that football is an expression of art," explained Dido when asked whether he would go for 'robotic' football or for the natural way.
"I refuse to go into the robotic way and make sure that there's a balance between technique and skill," said the Brazilian before adding, "You know how difficult it has been for me in the training camp."
He informed that all three injured players -- Zahid Hasan Emily, Mohammad Robin and Jahid Parvez -- have been passed fit by the medical team but Dido wasn't sure if they will be playing the first game.
He also said that his side has improved somewhat when it comes to position sense. "They have improved little bit but when one eats with his left hand, its hard to make him eat with the right. We have tried to fix it but time will be the only answer," commented the Brazilian.
Dido also expressed that it would come down to the players' fitness which would help his side go forward.
"The story about the last fifteen minutes is fitness. How they push or slow down but I hope they can carry on at the same rhythm in the final stages," said Dido.
He said that despite being Vietnam coach, he has little idea of today's opponents Cambodia but he assured that he applied no extra pressure on the players. He quipped," Maybe not knowing is the best advantage."
Bangladesh captain Aminul Haque had his own idea for the three matches of the qualifiers. "We want to take it as quarterfinal, semifinal and the final," revealed Aminul, the country's leading goalkeeper.
"If we take it like that, then we can progress well in the tournament. As the coach has explained, we have improved on positional football," said Aminul who added that they have played against their opening day opponents previously and gathered experience of playing them.
Cambodia however are also here to win and will want to compete, win and qualify, according to coach Prak Sovannara. He informed that they have prepared for the past two months during which they have played four practice games.
"Apart from the training camp, they played the Prime Minister's Cup from which we selected the team.
"There are big changes as some players are getting old. The younger lot has to push up into the national team," said Sovannara.
He however was least bothered about Bangladesh's coach being a Brazilian. "It doesn't matter where they come from. The only thing important is the players' quality out in the field," added the Cambodian coach.
TEAMS
BANGLADESH:
Aminul (captain), Biplob, Himel, Nasir, Rajani, Saikat, Arman Aziz, Sharif, Robin, Wali Faisal, Sujan, Zahid Pervez, Mamun, Emily, Mishu, Zahid Hossain, Munna, Mamun Mia, Emon Babu, Enamul, Rashed, Manik and Mithun.
CAMBODIA: Chanbunrith (captain), Sokumpheak, Narith, Ravy, Than, Thavrak, Sovannarith, Vathanak, Rithy, Bunchay, Pichseyla, Tiny, Sokgorn, Chansothea, Nasa, Mic, Rithy, Raksmey, Laboravy, Seiha, Rady, Borey.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig....php?nid=85674
Old April 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I do not know what to say, if we loose to a team 4 place lower in ranking. Hoping for at least half dozen from BD strikers.
Old April 26, 2009, 06:12 AM
Club Cricketer

live stream ?
Old April 26, 2009, 09:34 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

yh.Bangladesh won their 1st match under Brazilian coach Dido
Old April 26, 2009, 10:31 AM
Club Cricketer

1-0

http://images.the-afc.com/Documents/...s/365-2337.pdf
Old April 26, 2009, 11:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

A new beginning is there, I can feel it.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

apparently Bangladesh played a brilliant game with 5-4-1 formation... they drew with this team last time they played(they r three points up in fifa ranking than us!!!) them but today they just dominated the game but failed to score because of the goli and unexp. forwards...

It was said that bd havn't played like this for long long long time... go dido go... go bd go beat burma now...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I saw the second half of the game, and i my good God, we should have won atleast 8-0!!
We did seriously miss the injured striker Emily.
There were some blinders, which, even Stevie Wonder could have scored.

But I'm really pleased the way boys played the game. Cambodia looked cluessless against our attack and seemed like counting minutes for the game to end.
It was neat, clean and good football from the boys. They were concentrating on short pass, single touch football and looked organised for a team that had few debutants and was playing their first match under a new coach.

The real test would be against Myanmar. Good that we'll play Macau in between to sharpen our tools.

Go Bangladesh. Go Dido.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 26, 2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I saw the second half of the game, and i my good God, we should have won atleast 8-0!!

But I'm really pleased the way boys played the game. Cambodia looked cluessless against our attack and seemed like counting minutes for the game to end.
It was neat, clean and good football from the boys. They were concentrating on short pass, single touch football and looked organised for a team that had few debutants and was playing their first match under a new coach.

The real test would be against Myanmar. Good that we'll play Macau in between to sharpen our tools.

Go Bangladesh. Go Dido.
good job BD boys and Dido.

football is rising in BD.
Old April 27, 2009, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Believe it or not We are only ahead of Bhutan in the South Asian Region according to Fifa rankings!

RankingZonal RankingTeamPts
Apr 09
+/- Ranking
Mar 09
+/- Pts
Mar 09

14724 India1562 0

15828 Maldives1220 -4

16532 Sri Lanka97-1 -1

16933 Nepal743 4

17737 Pakistan58-11 -30

17838 Bangladesh53-4 -12

18944 Bhutan320 -1
Old April 27, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Our Ranking History:

Highest FIFA ranking
110 - April 1996.

Lowest FIFA Ranking
183 - June 2008.

Best Mover
28 - February 1996

Worst mover
-21 - April 2007

DateFIFA Ranking position
Apr 2009178
Mar 2009174
Feb 2009174
Jan 2009175
Bangladesh average position from FIFA World Ranking creation is 148
Old April 27, 2009, 03:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

Go Bangladesh. Go Dido.
Good to know that we have started playing descent football. Wel done, Dido.

Will not we play the last match with Maccau? Next match is with Myanmar, right?
Old April 27, 2009, 09:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Remaining fixtures:

28/04: ffice:smarttags" />Macau Vs. Cambodia
28/04: Bangladesh Vs Myanmar

30/04: Myanmar Vs. Cambodia
30/04: Bangladesh Vs Macau
Old April 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtings
Remaining fixtures:

28/04: ffice:smarttags" />Macau Vs. Cambodia
28/04: Bangladesh Vs Myanmar

30/04: Myanmar Vs. Cambodia
30/04: Bangladesh Vs Macau
Can you give us the time of BD matches?
Any channel telecasting the matches?
Old April 27, 2009, 12:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Yes, i stand corrected.
We play against Myanmar tomorrow and Macau the last game.
BTV and BTV World would telecast the games.
Based on the timing above, our match would start 6.30 BDT.

Thanks Shehwar for your ranking history. Didnt know we ranked so high once upon a time.
Our position is surely going to change at the end of this tournament, and this change would be a positive one.

With Salahuddin-Dido partnership, we would beat india comfortable within a year.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 27, 2009, 01:36 PM
Cricket Savant

183?? Pathetic to see all South Asian teams moving ahead of us. Anyways, Hope to see a steady decrease in our ranking inshallah.