facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 13, 2005, 07:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Thank u SHOAIB

I been 2 Worester yesterday 2 watch the match. At the prize giving ceremony the Worcester official called Mr Latif as the Manager of "Srilanka". Every1 just wondered how he could make such mistake after watching the match for the whole day. I felt the pain. But it was Shoeb Akhter who protested first. As he said "Its Bangladesh, man" loudly to that stupid official. At least he showed some respect 2 us. I just checked Prothom Alo, they havn't cover this. Don't know if any other newspaper has.

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 12:42 PM GMT, by fan_frm_the_uk.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 5:39 AM GMT, by fan_frm_the_uk.

Old June 13, 2005, 08:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

I don't know anything about. The official must have been out of his mind.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:13 AM
Cricket Legend

fan_frm_the_uk, as you were present there and heard this by yourself, surely Shoiab Akhter deserves a salute.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Never had any problems with Shoiab as he is just a player doing his job. Sure he has some occasional outbursts, so? But there seems to be some illogical Shoiab hatred lingering in this board. Don't know why?

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 1:17 PM GMT, by oracle.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:25 AM
Retired BC Admin

I think its not hatred. A better characterization would be dislike.

From his quotes in media over the years, one could very easily, rightfully or wrongfully, label him to be a loose mouth. Then again, many things happen off the field for other players too.

Anyway, I think it was an honest mistake from the official's part. And while media shy people kept the silence, the not so shy Shoeb drew attention to the mistake.
Old June 13, 2005, 09:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I proclaim myself as 100%-anti-shoaib. But have to admit, after what you're saying...im just 70%-anti-shoaib. haha..
Old June 13, 2005, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I like Shoaib, especially for his big mouth
Old June 13, 2005, 09:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

May b, Shoeb and discipline do not go together Still I am a grt fan of his bowling. It was first time I saw his bowling live. But after this incident I hav started to like him as a sportsman.

By the way, there was another bowler caled Nadim Kamal. Neva seen such tall asian. Around 6'5. Apart from pace, I think he was bowling better than Shoeb.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:49 AM
Test Cricketer

thanks shoaib.
Old June 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I hav sometimes heard some TV commentators mentioning BD as Sri-Lanka. Nothing much to complain about it I guess...

Probably the fact of BD being Dav Whatmore's team has something to do with it. Whatmore's dominant team Sri-Lanka just comes to their mind subconciously and becomes a slip of toung in the end!
Old June 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

I believe when someone officially declare something they should know what they are saying,,, this is not a jokes
Old June 13, 2005, 01:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Worester officials
Old June 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fan_frm_the_uk
I been 2 Worester yesterday 2 watch the match. At the prize giving ceremony the Worcester official called Mr Latif as the Manager of "Srilanka". Every1 just wondered how he could make such mistake after watching the match for the whole day. I felt the pain. But it was Shoeb Akhter who protested first. As he said "Its Bangladesh, man" loudly to that stupid official. At least he showed some respect 2 us. I just checked Prothom Alo, they havn't cover this. Don't know if any other newspaper has.

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 12:42 PM GMT, by fan_frm_the_uk.
Maybe we should thank him by making sure we spell his name right!. His name should be spelled Shoaib.
Old June 13, 2005, 02:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Probably the fact of BD being Dav Whatmore's team has something to do with it. Whatmore's dominant team Sri-Lanka just comes to their mind subconciously and becomes a slip of toung in the end
Nice assumption. Didn't think of it. :thumbs up: Very likely.

Shoaib is just loud..agree with chinaman.. He likes that I suppose.. no need to thank...
Old June 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Commentators and others are allowed this leeway because they speak on the spur of the moment. But when an official stands on a podium and calls a COUNTRY by the wrong name, that is blatantly callous.

Big thumbs up to Shoaib for piping up. At least he cared enough to point out the mistake. Shows character! (No pun intended, Btw )

CTazim made a great point - let's correct the spelling of Shoaib's name in the title of this thread. Let's at least thank the right person ...

fan_frm_the_uk , or any Mod,
Can u pls correct the title?

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 8:11 PM GMT, by Sauron.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:14 PM
Cricket Legend

what was that official doing? he was probably sleeping during the match and suddenly woke up to annouce, saw whatmore and thought it must be srilanka

by the way, remember a rose is known by its smell not the name.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:38 PM
Cricket Legend

ATleast Bangladesh officials know which teams are playing.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:52 PM
Street Cricketer

remember Ravi Shastri in Kolkata test, how he could not know the difference between the bangladesh and pakitan flag. []

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 1:01 AM GMT, by pompous.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

I think the relationship shoib has with fans around the world is a "love-hate" relationship - we love to hate him! But, having said that, cricket needs characters, and he is certainly an interesting one. He's a little like warne in a way - controversial, has character flaws (cf. clubbing and erratic behaviour), keeps getting into trouble - but he is endearing and "brings life" to a somewhat boring field of players.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 1:10 AM GMT, by jabbar.
Old June 14, 2005, 12:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

First of all, I do apologise 4 the spelling mistake. I just have come back after working all nite. so, hope u guys will understand the reason 4 delay.

There r lots of people who hate Shoaib. Even I do as well (caz he is big headed). But sometimes the "good" comes out as I saw from Shoaib. None of the BD players, officials had the courage 2 protest. 4get them, our newspaper reporters even have ignored.

I didn't post this topic 2 prove Shoaib good or bad. I just wanted 2 let u all know what happened with us and who supported us.
Old June 14, 2005, 05:05 AM
Club Cricketer

It was not only Worcestershire officials that made this mistake, I was watching the 2nd test match on Sky Sports and Michael Holding was mentioning the Bangladesh team as Sri Lanka on more than one occasion. And later he did corrected himself, but it was quite unacceptable for someone like Michael Holding to be unaccurate while commenting on an international test match.
Old June 14, 2005, 06:00 AM
First Class Cricketer

Shoaib is the only bowler that took so many 5 wicket hauls in my recent memory against Australia.

I have never seen any bowler dominating Australian team in Australia in the last few years.

Pakistani slip fielders and fielders dropped so many catches and Shoaib was denied from having so many potential wickets.
Old June 14, 2005, 06:50 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by amim
Shoaib is the only bowler that took so many 5 wicket hauls in my recent memory against Australia.

I have never seen any bowler dominating Australian team in Australia in the last few years.

Pakistani slip fielders and fielders dropped so many catches and Shoaib was denied from having so many potential wickets.
Agreed.....but! maybe pakistani fielders got such a big shock at the fact that shoaib was ACTUALLY bowling, and that's the reason they dropped the catches... !
Old June 14, 2005, 07:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Nothing to thank him at all . He said when he was on joking mood.
Old June 14, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ReckmyBack
Nothing to thank him at all . He said when he was on joking mood.
If you don't want to be thankful, that's alright. You are allowed your personal opinion.

Outright villains are only seen on bad movies (e.g. ATM Shamsuzzaman in good old BD movies). But real people are a mix of good and bad. While you condemn the bad, you should appreciate the good too.

Do not say "no need to thank". Just not saying anything will acheive the same goal, without undermining goodwill of others.