facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Players Stagnating

Why is it that so few of our international players have actually improved over the last 4-5 years?

With most players, you see incremental growth as they become more experienced, get better guidance, and mature. Yet with the vast majority of Bangladeshi players...this simply is not happening.

Shakib breaks the mould, while he might not be always consistent with both his bowling and batting coming together, there is no doubt, he is a much better player than the one we first saw represent Bangladesh. I know there are others, and making a thread like this after a loss is a bit knee-jerk, but I hope people can look past that.

Now on to the bad news.....

Ashraful is obviously the poster child of this malady, but not the only one.

Tamim - right from the start of his career, his leg side play has been a weakness as is his inability to rotate the strike at the level required of an international opening batsmen. Tbf, his legside play is better than what it was(nonexistent) but he continues to struggle to rotate the strike when things are tight, and then resembles Afridi-lite as he perishes to a stupid shot)

Shafiul - still young, and relatively inexperienced, so don't want to be too harsh on him, but he burst on to the scene as a young bowler, who leaked a few runs, but took wickets... 40 matches into his ODI career, what's changed?

Feel free to add others..... agree/disagree.

I'd like to know the reason why? We've had top class coaches and coaching, and a change of team from time to time also, so that a lack of innovation and ideas in terms of coaching can't be blamed.

The coaching staff continues to grow, and with that so does the tools available to the players - video logging, fitness, psychological, yet there is no discernible improvement.

Last edited by F6_Turbo; October 14, 2011 at 03:07 AM..

Old October 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't agree about Tamim, he has been getting better and you can check his stats, every year is same or higher than the previous one, specially in tests where he is easily our best batsman.
Old October 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

TIKBoss, ever since the World Cup Tamim's form has been poor. He hasn't played any good knocks lately
Old October 13, 2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

TIKBoss - as you can see, I left out his average in this. Tamim is obviously one of our better players, and definitely a dangerous player on his day...I was more looking at players working on their deficiencies.

You hope, players come in, with time minimize their liabilities and strengthen their positives, the question is, are the Bangladeshi players doing that? If yes, how many?

Look at individual threads, and match threads...you'll find a commonality, the same criticisms being put against players, time and time again. So why aren't they learning?
Old October 13, 2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

TECHNICAL COACHING

This is what is missing. Learning the basics and being MADE to do them. Batting basics over and over and over until they become second nature. SidVision just let the batters play the way they wanted and over 4 years nothing has been learned. Unless the coach enforces the technique then the players will keep on losing.

It's why we cannot have a weak coach who just wants to observe.

END OF STORY
Old October 13, 2011, 01:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
TIKBoss, ever since the World Cup Tamim's form has been poor. He hasn't played any good knocks lately
true
Old October 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
TECHNICAL COACHING

This is what is missing. Learning the basics and being MADE to do them. Batting basics over and over and over until they become second nature. SidVision just let the batters play the way they wanted and over 4 years nothing has been learned. Unless the coach enforces the technique then the players will keep on losing.

It's why we cannot have a weak coach who just wants to observe.

END OF STORY
maybe we need better coaches, bcb doesn't know anything about technical coaches or any coaches for that matter.. they said no more Australian coaches(dumb statement) but then hired all australian coaches for all positions.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

What about players like Mo Rafique, H Bashar for some time in Tests and as mentioned in this thread Shakib Al Hasan himself who excelled regardless of the quality of coaching? How did they do it?
Old October 13, 2011, 01:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

to be honest, i wasn't too disheartened by today's loss. I liked the attempt to stay alive with an early powerplay and the go at it by Shakib, Mushy and Alok. Naeem was slow but it wasn't due to lack of trying. Imrul showed an aggressive intent.

It was far better than the last few years of giving up early and focusing on padding stats.

Some of the familiar mistakes happened but there was an effort there today that has been lacking since the begining of this year.

Tamim, however, always seems to come to the crease with a gameplan that does not seem to meet the match need. No comments on Ash because I don't even know what his role is in the team.

Shame to see Nazmul getting wasted on the national bench.

As much as I am liking Mushy as a captain, I still feel he is a liability with the gloves. His height (not his fault) leads to 15-20 runs extra a game as the ball goes out of his reach which could be stopped/taken by a Dhiman or other taller keeper.

Razzak needs to justify himself in the team. Other than that one ZIM series, I can't recall when he was last a threat to the opposition.
Old October 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Players are stagnating because asides from Shakib, Mushy, and to an extent Tamim...all other players are content with just being recalled after being dropped. I'm speaking of the batsmen here, not the bowlers.

Whereas other players have a hunger for runs and tons, our batsman simply have a hunger for getting another international cap, and rarely for a half century.

Our cricketing culture is rotten and until that changes, we'll continue to be the 9th ranked team who will regularly get humbled by Zimbabwe too.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

The attitude of "someone will be dropped so I can come back" stops certain players from needing to improve, rather just be in a bit of form (as the talent is there). Also, Tamim & Shakib have to compete with the rest of world (i.e. they want to play county, IPL etc.) and need to keep up. Mushy is is finally reigning in the fruits of his Labour, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a county/IPL contract within two years. The rest (barring Mahmudullah who has also began performing like we know he can, as is Rubel, and like it or not, Imrul isn't as bad as a 66 SR suggests[And Shafiul always seems to play]) means that the others know that out of the remaining 5 someone will fail, and they can perform at a mediocre level and still get picked in their place.
Old October 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

My two cents: I think it is lack of education. I mentioned earlier that Shafiul was asked about Geof Lawson's visit to bangladesh for a training camp for pacers in dhaka and he said he didn't know who he was. That shows how much these guys know about cricket history, study the game they play. Our cricket culture is passionate and enthusiastic but hardly informed. Starting from sports reporters in news paper to local coaches to commentators to former players the lack of cricket knowledge is evident. Just listen to people like Sangakara, Nasser Hossain, Sunny Gavasker and then listen to our experts. There is a huge gap in understanding the game... strategies...knowing what to do. We can't even make the right decision after winning the toss yet.

Hence when you don't understand the sport at a professional level its difficult to rectify your weaknesses
Old October 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ I agree with Jadukor. But then again, there is a difference between the 'knowledge' that Sangakarra has and the 'knowledge' that Shane Warne has. The former went to a prestigious school in Sri Lanka with a rich cricketing heritage and learned both the game and its inherent culture/history during that time. Shane Warne isn't as conventionally educated but he's a very canny, "street smart" (to use Ravi Shastri's favorite cliche) cricketer who can read people very well. Both are very useful traits to have in international cricket but most of our players have neither.
Old October 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

Wow great insights and I must say I agree each and every post above me. But I think Al Furqan Bhais post summarizes the problem and LBW103's highlight why haven't we been successful rectifying those problems. First you have to have intent then you need the skill we seem to lack both in plenty.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:10 AM
Banned

Hmmm a lot of varied responses

-lack of intelligence
-poor coaching
-poor ability/skill
-poor application
Old October 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

i would rather say lack of intelligence poor ability and skill and poor application not coaching everyone likes to blame the coach even the best coach in the world can't help bd to be a better team ever
Old October 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max410
i would rather say lack of intelligence poor ability and skill and poor application not coaching everyone likes to blame the coach even the best coach in the world can't help bd to be a better team ever
STRONGLY disagree.

Fountain and Pont made a huge difference in their 6 months with BD. That is because they are world class coaches who know how to educate and coach.

We know a bad coach makes bad results.

Stop making excuses.

If what you say is that no coach can make a difference then employ someone from the local community who knows nothing about cricket and save loads of money.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

LBW103 - Stronngly agreed. Anybody remembers Mohsin Ali and that other darri-wala weird assistant.

You have received an infraction at BanglaCricket Forum.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:

Stop making excuses.

Stop bullying people with a different opinion.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old October 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Stop bullying people with a different opinion.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
I am not bhai. I just want people to make a cohesive argument why they think what they think. A coaches job is to..basically erm... coach, otherwise why employ them?

Just saying 'don't blame the coaches' when it's clear they are not doing their job yet, is like saying don't blame the BCB for running cricket badly.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Going by that logic we should also be able to blame those two coaches for our poor showing in the World Cup opener against India, no? Why did we give away 375 runs?
Old October 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Going by that logic we should also be able to blame those two coaches for our poor showing in the World Cup opener against India, no? Why did we give away 375 runs?
India won the WC Asif... and they just scored 300 against England today. West Indies are not ranked as World Champions in 50 overs cricket by comparison.

My point is not about specific matches but about a general trend of mistakes. Those same players came back to bowl well against Ireland, NL and England and WIN. Sadly, they did not got the chance against WI or SA to do much, due to extremely poor batting. I cannot recall when great batting won us a match.

I would have thought that a mod would have understood at least that point?

I think it is widely accepted that those two coaches made a huge difference. Your point therefore is somewhat disparaging against them if you misjudge the logic.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I would have thought that a mod would have understood at least that point?
Me being a mod has nothing to do with it. In any case, a failure is a failure and I think coaches should take part of the blame for all failures instead of showing excuses.

I do think Pont is a better bowling coach than Law - Law's specialty doesn't even lie in bowling. Heck, Pont could be a better head coach than Law altogether, the latter not having proved anything as an international coach.

The intention of my post was not to compare the two but to point out that everyone should be accountable for their failures.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

BCB-er shonamdhonno/shobjanta (??!!!) lokder jonne Pont ar Fountain ajke BD team er Coach na.....othocho BCB-er lokra boro boro buli bolen je "player der shikkha deya hochche"
are beta age nijera shikkha nao cricket er bepare...manlam amra shadharon dorshok amra chitkaar chechmechi/alochona korte parbo....kintu all of you are supposed to make changes...for the betterment of the team...not for demoting them....
Let's just hope the new coaching staff is good enough.....otherwise...BCB OFFICIALS......BRING IAN PONT/FOUNTAIN BACK!!!!
Old October 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

mushy- he jumped a few steps recently