facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 5, 2012, 09:14 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Salvage of MT Meherjan finally postponed

Authorities yesterday suspended the operation to salvage oil tanker MT Meherjan that capsized with about 700 tonnes of fuel following a collision with cargo vessel MV Fazlul Huq-3 at Kaliganj-Gobindapur point of the Meghna River on July 25 night.

"We have postponed the salvage activities till improvement of the overall weather condition including river current, and removal of other obstacles," said AKM Arif Uddin, deputy secretary (Administration) of BIWTA, also coordinator of the salvage operation titled 'Operation Meher'.

Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) salvage vessels Hamza and Rustam, navy ship BNS Soikat and all other vessels and the teams engaged in salvage operation left the spot this evening," he said yesterday.

Earlier on Thursday, the authorities announced a 72-hour 'Operation Meher' following a joint meeting of the officials of navy, coastguard, and BIWTA, and representatives of the oil tanker and others concerned on BIWTA ship Shandhani.

But repeated failure in starting the rescue attempt has led to postponement ofa the operation, Arif Uddin said, adding that members of the salvage team termed several factors including inclement weather, spread of huge fishing nets, heavy siltation on the sunken tanker and lack of adequate logistics as hindrance to the operation.

Continue Reading

Old August 9, 2012, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Prepare to fight: Santu Larma
Thu, Aug 9th, 2012 5:11 pm BdST

Dhaka University, Aug 9 (bdnews24.com) – Bangladeshi rulers will not recognise the rights of the hills people, indigenous community leader Santu Larma has said, calling his people to prepare to fight for them.

"This undemocratic, ultranationalist government cannot give the Adivasis their rights," the former guerrilla leader said at an assembly at the Central Shaheed Minar to mark the International Day of the World's Indigenous People on Thursday.

"Without a progressive and democratic government the repression and betrayal of the indigenous people will continue," observed Santu, whose real name is Jyotirindra Bodhipriyo Larma.

He commented that the government was 'undecided' on the implementation of the 1997 Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord and accepting the basic rights of the hills people.

"Rights must be achieved through struggle...and we must prepare for struggle and fight," he added.

Santu made the remarks a day after warning that the Chittagong Hill Tracts may plunge again into violence and bloodshed any moment over problems plaguing the region.

"Man's lifestyle changes. Confrontation and controversies in hills were once set to rest. It may start all over again," he had said.

The Chittagong Hill Tracts was a hotbed for violence even two decades ago when indigenous people gathered under the banner of Shanti Bahini, an armed force, demanding autonomy.

The Bahini was dissolved following signing of Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord in 1997. Santu became Chairman of CHT Regional Council, a body formed in line with the accord.

The accord, one of the major points of which is the immediate settlement of land ownership, remains mostly unimplemented.

Santu, who is the president of the political party backing the peace accord, Parbatya Chattagram Jana Samhati Samiti (PCJSS), said the government was dubious in its efforts to give the indigenous people their basic rights.

Ruling coalition ally JaSaD President Hasanul Haque Inu said the government had engaged in a conflict with the indigenous people which would not bring any good.

"The indigenous people are being called small ethnic minority in the Constitution. This mistake must be amended," he said.

Another partner Workers' Party President Rashed Khan Menon said the International Day of the World's Indigenous People is celebrated by all states across the world.

"The ruling party leaders are usually seen walking in this rally wearing t-shirts, but this year they're not here," he said. "How did the indigenous people suddenly become ethnic minority?"

The government has taken the stance that there are no 'indigenous people' in the country, though their election manifesto promised rights to the same 'indigenous people'.

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=3&id=230006&hb=top
Old August 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
BC Editorial Team

NY Times Front Page Article: Export Powerhouse feels Pangs of Labor Strife
Jim Yardley

ISHWARDI, Bangladesh — The air thickened with tear gas as police and paramilitary officers jogged into the Ishwardi Export Processing Zone firing rubber bullets and swinging cane poles. Panicked factory workers tried to flee. A seamstress crumpled to the ground, knocked unconscious by a shot in the head.

Dozens of people were bloodied and hospitalized. The officers were cracking down on protests at two garment factories inside this industrial area in western Bangladesh. But they were also protecting two ingredients of a manufacturing formula that has quietly made Bangladesh a leading apparel exporter to the United States and Europe: cheap labor and foreign investment.

Both were at stake on that March morning. Workers earning as little as $50 a month, less than the cost of one of the knit sweaters they stitched for European stores, were furious over a cut in wages. Their anger was directed at the Hong Kong and Chinese bosses of the two factories, turning a labor dispute into something potentially much larger.

“If any foreigner got injured or killed, it would damage the country’s image around the globe,” said a police supervisor, Akbar Hossein, who participated in the crackdown. “We all know the importance of these factories and this industry for Bangladesh.”

Bangladesh, once poor and irrelevant to the global economy, is now an export powerhouse, second only to China in global apparel exports, as factories churn out clothing for brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Calvin Klein and H&M. Global retailers like Target and Walmart now operate sourcing offices in Dhaka, the capital. Garments are critical to Bangladesh’s economy, accounting for 80 percent of manufacturing exports and more than three million jobs.

Continue Reading
Old September 3, 2012, 12:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Freedom fighter, MP from NK, and current Minister Obaidul Quader publicly slapped a corrupt railway attendant and earned popular brownie points. He apologized later.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Quote:
Bangladesh blocks YouTube over film
http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=232512&cid=2
Old September 22, 2012, 07:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

The evil muslim extremists have in deference to Khaleda Zia have left out dinajpur, rangour and bogra out of the purview of their Hartal tomorrow.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
Prepare to fight: Santu Larma
Thu, Aug 9th, 2012 5:11 pm BdST

Dhaka University, Aug 9 (bdnews24.com) – Bangladeshi rulers will not recognise the rights of the hills people, indigenous community leader Santu Larma has said, calling his people to prepare to fight for them.

"This undemocratic, ultranationalist government cannot give the Adivasis their rights," the former guerrilla leader said at an assembly at the Central Shaheed Minar to mark the International Day of the World's Indigenous People on Thursday.

"Without a progressive and democratic government the repression and betrayal of the indigenous people will continue," observed Santu, whose real name is Jyotirindra Bodhipriyo Larma.

He commented that the government was 'undecided' on the implementation of the 1997 Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord and accepting the basic rights of the hills people.

"Rights must be achieved through struggle...and we must prepare for struggle and fight," he added.

Santu made the remarks a day after warning that the Chittagong Hill Tracts may plunge again into violence and bloodshed any moment over problems plaguing the region.

"Man's lifestyle changes. Confrontation and controversies in hills were once set to rest. It may start all over again," he had said.

The Chittagong Hill Tracts was a hotbed for violence even two decades ago when indigenous people gathered under the banner of Shanti Bahini, an armed force, demanding autonomy.

The Bahini was dissolved following signing of Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord in 1997. Santu became Chairman of CHT Regional Council, a body formed in line with the accord.

The accord, one of the major points of which is the immediate settlement of land ownership, remains mostly unimplemented.

Santu, who is the president of the political party backing the peace accord, Parbatya Chattagram Jana Samhati Samiti (PCJSS), said the government was dubious in its efforts to give the indigenous people their basic rights.

Ruling coalition ally JaSaD President Hasanul Haque Inu said the government had engaged in a conflict with the indigenous people which would not bring any good.

"The indigenous people are being called small ethnic minority in the Constitution. This mistake must be amended," he said.

Another partner Workers' Party President Rashed Khan Menon said the International Day of the World's Indigenous People is celebrated by all states across the world.

"The ruling party leaders are usually seen walking in this rally wearing t-shirts, but this year they're not here," he said. "How did the indigenous people suddenly become ethnic minority?"

The government has taken the stance that there are no 'indigenous people' in the country, though their election manifesto promised rights to the same 'indigenous people'.

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=3&id=230006&hb=top
This stubbornness of Mujib to accept the tribal population as non bangali but Bangladeshis... Cost us 25 years and thousands of lives. Hope the current AL govt doesn't make it even worse by this indigenous and tribal debate. If the tribal people take up arms this time, it will get worse and may not remain limited to that region alone. May Allah I've them common sense,

AL has already damaged us by an hurriedly done uneven peace treaty to score political point...and then if they fail to keep the tribals satisfied... They will prove to be a party of consistent power failure for the country...

BNP has definitely got the Bangladeshi nationalism contextually right for all to fit in...Bangali nationalism doesn't suit us with 1/6th of the land inhibited by non Bangali population.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
BC Editorial Team

New Bangladesh law could ease suffering of abandoned Hindu women

At present, Hindu women are unable to seek divorce or demand compensation from abusive husbands because of an age-old custom.
By K. R. Chowdhury for Khabar South Asia in Dhaka
September 29, 2012

Torulata Rani, 24, is having a tough time raising her six-year-old son by herself in Dokshin Chowra village in northern Nilphamari district, 350km from Dhaka. Her husband Sreepodo deserted the young family six years ago.

The reason, according to Rani, was that her mother was unable to meet a demand for increased dowry. In 2006, he husband married another woman.

Because she is a Hindu, there is not much the state can do for Rani. The minority Hindu community in Bangladesh follows the centuries-old Dayabhaga Law. According to that code, Rani does not have the right to divorce Sreepodo until he dies.

"I have to pass my whole life as his wife no matter whether he looks after me and my son or not," Rani told Khabar South Asia. "I have no right to object to my husband's decision. He can marry as many women as he wishes."

With no other recourse, Rani recently filed a case with local police under the Women and Children Repression (Prevention) Act, which covers violent abuse. Rani claims her husband continues to assault both her and her mother.

While India enacted legislation on marriage registration and divorce in 1955, Bangladesh remains ambivalent on the issue, fearing a backlash from its Hindu minority.

Things may be changing. On September 18th, amid growing demand from non-governmental organisations (NGOs), civil society and women's rights groups, Parliament passed the Hindu Marriage Registration Bill-2012.

Read More
Old October 3, 2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
The evil muslim extremists have in deference to Khaleda Zia have left out dinajpur, rangour and bogra out of the purview of their Hartal tomorrow.
Mr.Zunaid bhai few days back warned me and deleted my post when I wrote Pakistan as PAKI because he thought it would insult to Pakistani members of this forum even though I didn't mean to insult anyone, I just used it as short name. But when a poster labeled all "Muslim" as terrorists, he is silent. so Muslim can be called terrorist for the act few and it would not be insult to their faith. I know I may be banned for this post, but I am sure if my post was wrong so was this one.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:38 PM
Administrator

RTFF - where the last F stands for forum rules. Of course, if anyone labels ALL Muslims as terrorists that would of course be extremely pejorative and would be counter to the F Forum rules. Least you are alluding to the phrase "The extremist Muslims", let me assure you that extremist does not mean a terrorist and by the use of the definite article 'the', Dr Turbo is referring solely to those subset of Muslims who are extremists. Just as we refer to extremist Christians (the right of the Reptard Part) etc.

Speaking as myself and not as mod or admin.

- Dr Zunaid Bhai

PS. The rules are available at the top menu and will explain all.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
RTFF - where the last F stands for forum rules. Of course, if anyone labels ALL Muslims as terrorists that would of course be extremely pejorative and would be counter to the F Forum rules. Least you are alluding to the phrase "The extremist Muslims", let me assure you that extremist does not mean a terrorist and by the use of the definite article 'the', Dr Turbo is referring solely to those subset of Muslims who are extremists. Just as we refer to extremist Christians (the right of the Reptard Part) etc.

Speaking as myself and not as mod or admin.

- Dr Zunaid Bhai

PS. The rules are available at the top menu and will explain all.
Bhai, I know literally extremist does not mean terrorist, but the way it was used in that post clearly meant terrorist who belong to a faith, you know it , I know it. How did you come to a conclusion and judge that by PAKI I tried to hurt Pakistani people? if the word extremist does not offend a faith, how did a short name PAKI offend whole Pakistani community?
If I accept that Dr. Turbo brother meant small portion of Muslim extremists, I could say same and same logic that by using PAKI I tried to mean that small portion of Pakistani people who hate Bangladesh cricket. How would you counter that? Dr. Turbo brother contributes more in BC and that is why it would be acceptable and that is why you had to defend his post by defining literal meaning of extremist? Any way brother I know you have the final say in this site, I don't want to argue. just tried to.counter your post.

thank you and Salam.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Did you read the forum rules yet?
Old October 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketPagolChele
Mr.Zunaid bhai few days back warned me and deleted my post when I wrote Pakistan as PAKI because he thought it would insult to Pakistani members of this forum even though I didn't mean to insult anyone, I just used it as short name. But when a poster labeled all "Muslim" as terrorists, he is silent. so Muslim can be called terrorist for the act few and it would not be insult to their faith. I know I may be banned for this post, but I am sure if my post was wrong so was this one.
Bit late to the party...Z already explained what I meant...but I'll do it again. No sane person should or would read that post and infer that all muslims are evil or terrorists...that I went out of my way to specify 'evil' and 'terrorist' muslims, should force that point home.

I'll admit I have an agenda...I am a muslim who wants a secular Bangladesh, and if I had it my way, I would force every Jamaat apologist back to their spiritual home of Pakistan. So anytime I see muslims acting out, I lay into the issue...it's not because I hate Islam or all Muslims, but because I am sick of those muslims who seek to bring out the worst in us, and take us back a couple of hundred years, while the rest of us wish to move forward.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Hallmark Guru Arrested-Taken on Remand

গত শনিবার রাতে সাভারে হলমার্ক গ্রুপের স্থাপনায় এক দফা ব্যর্থ অভিযানের পর রোববার রাত সাড়ে নয়টার দিকে মিরপুর এলাকার একটি বাসা থেকে তানভীর ও তাঁর ভায়রা তুষারকে গ্রেপ্তার করে র‌্যাব। তানভীরের কাছে চারটি গুলি, একটি ম্যাগাজিনসহ একটি অবৈধ পিস্তল পাওয়া যায়। গ্রেপ্তারের পর তাঁদের মিরপুরের পাইকপাড়ায় র‌্যাব-৪-এর কার্যালয়ে নিয়ে যাওয়া হয়। সেখানেই তাঁকে দুদক প্রতিনিধির হাতে তুলে দেওয়া হয়। পাইকপাড়ায় র‌্যাবের কার্যালয় থেকে তাঁকে নিয়ে আসা হয় রমনা থানায়। এই থানাতেই দুদক তানভীরসহ ২৭ জনের বিরুদ্ধে এক হাজার ৫৬৮ কোটি টাকা আত্মসাতের অভিযোগে ১১টি মামলা করেছে।
এ ছাড়া রোববার রাতে র‌্যাব পল্লবী থানায় তানভীরের বিরুদ্ধে অবৈধ অস্ত্র রাখার অভিযোগে একটি মামলা করেছে। এরপর গতকাল সাভার থানায় র‌্যাব ও পুলিশের ওপর হামলার অভিযোগে তানভীর ও তুষারের বিরুদ্ধে আরেকটি মামলা করা হয়।

MORE
Old October 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

স্বরাষ্ট্রমন্ত্র মহীউদ্দীন খান আলমগীর বলেছেন, সাংবাদিক দম্পতি সাগর-রুনি হত্যাকাণ্ডের ঘটনায় সাত সন্দেহভাজনকে শনাক্ত ও গ্রেপ্তার করা হয়েছে। তাঁরা পেশাদার খুনি। তবে তিনি চারজনের নাম বলেছেন। তাঁরা হলেন: রফিক, বকুল, মিন্টু ও সাঈদ।
more
Old October 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
স্বরাষ্ট্রমন্ত্র মহীউদ্দীন খান আলমগীর বলেছেন, সাংবাদিক দম্পতি সাগর-রুনি হত্যাকাণ্ডের ঘটনায় সাত সন্দেহভাজনকে শনাক্ত ও গ্রেপ্তার করা হয়েছে। তাঁরা পেশাদার খুনি। তবে তিনি চারজনের নাম বলেছেন। তাঁরা হলেন: রফিক, বকুল, মিন্টু ও সাঈদ।
more
In Sagar- Runi case you'll never get to know who the real culprit is.. They are just making it up now.. Khunider to shonakto to kortei hobe.. media er chaap achhe na
Old October 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Can someone please tell me, what the news says? I've been waiting milleniums to know who the murderer is! I think we all know it is, but can't say it and he's probably being protected by the government.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old October 9, 2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cricket
Can someone please tell me, what the news says? I've been waiting milleniums to know who the murderer is! I think we all know it is, but can't say it and he's probably being protected by the government.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Seven persons have been caught, four of them are as Rafiq, Bakul, Mintu and Sayeed ...
Old October 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Seven persons have been caught, four of them are as Rafiq, Bakul, Mintu and Sayeed ...
And who are the Murderers of Mr. cricket..?
Old October 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Underworld News of Bangladesh

Terrible situation for a country like BD..

Bhorer Kagoj
Old October 24, 2012, 04:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
In the wake of the recent Destiny 2000 Limited scandal, the Cabinet on Monday provisionally endorsed a proposal to amend the Companies Act empowering the government to appoint administrators to any company.

The next day, the FBCCI and seven other organisations in a joint statement opposed the move and said even under the existing provisions, a court of law can appoint administrator to any business house.

Speaking at a press briefing at its headquarters, the BGMEA President said, "We are just trying to get out of the downturn created in the financial sector following the Hall-Mark scam. Now a new crisis for the industries has emerged since the government can appoint administrator to any private company if it wishes."

"We think such provision will discourage the industrial and business entrepreneurs. It will hinder our efforts to make the country economically independent," he added.

He suggested finding ways to resolve the problems in the existing Companies Act.
Amendment to the Companies Act

Attempt to legalize "Chadabazi" by appointing govt administrators in any company at will, without the permission of any legal court.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:54 PM
BC Editorial Team

^ I agree Banfan bhai, on the face of it, this decision seems poorly thought through. Other countries have different mechanisms for handling mass fraud and money laundering - not that they have been particularly successful either - but the Government could at least have considered them and had a discussion with the private sector on this issue, before making any unilateral decision.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

Let's see what results from this:

Govt now mulls alternative
Amendment to Companies Act
Refayet Ullah Mirdha

Quote:
The government may halt the move to amend the Bangladesh Companies Act, 1994 subject to the existing law allowing it to appoint administrators to troubled companies, said Commerce Secretary Ghulam Hussain yesterday.

It may seek special permission from court to appoint administrators to Destiny Group that breached the law by indulging in illegal banking.

"We will stop the amendment process, if the existing law allows us to appoint such administrators. If not, we will amend the law in such a way so that the companies are not harmed,” Hussain told The Daily Star by phone.

He said the government would soon introduce multi-level marketing law for companies like Destiny Group.

Hussain also called upon the businesspeople not to panic, saying the government was looking for an alternative and had decided to withdraw the provision of giving administrators the “indemnity power” from the proposed act....

...The commerce secretary said he would talk to two more lawyers today to know whether the administrators could be appointed under the existing law.

“We will also seek opinions from lawyers, businesspeople, experts and researchers at a meeting on October 30. I hope all the misunderstandings will end after the meeting,” the secretary said.
Read More
Old October 25, 2012, 02:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Bit late to the party...Z already explained what I meant...but I'll do it again. No sane person should or would read that post and infer that all muslims are evil or terrorists...that I went out of my way to specify 'evil' and 'terrorist' muslims, should force that point home.

I'll admit I have an agenda...I am a muslim who wants a secular Bangladesh, and if I had it my way, I would force every Jamaat apologist back to their spiritual home of Pakistan. So anytime I see muslims acting out, I lay into the issue...it's not because I hate Islam or all Muslims, but because I am sick of those muslims who seek to bring out the worst in us, and take us back a couple of hundred years, while the rest of us wish to move forward.
Love it!
Old October 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Let's see what results from this:

Govt now mulls alternative
Amendment to Companies Act
Refayet Ullah Mirdha

Read More
That's a sensible approach. None can deny the necessity of some sort of government monitoring/control on wrong doings by the companies.

But to appoint an administrator, you need to have genuine reasons. Financial transactions or practices can always be monitored even from outside the company.

Lets see what comes out from this discussion. If AL did this law sincerely, I would call their law makers extremely poor. How can you judge as a government that this company needs an administrator or not, without the involvement of the judiciary? Although our judiciary is influenced by the government, still that keeps adequate check on malpractices by the government.

Some recent changes of laws by the AL government, like care taker govt, Media Regulation and this one...etc...gives a feelings that, they aren't even considering that they may not win the next election. Government and AL looks to be synonymous to them. Or they may think that, they can change laws at will to suit their position; whether in Govt or in Opposition. Not at all healthy for democracy.