facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: what type of Muslim are you? (please express)
devout/religious Muslim 7 50.00%
modernist Muslim 3 21.43%
traditional/cultural Muslim 1 7.14%
secular/non-religious Muslim 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 17, 2008, 07:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

I have done Umrah thrice.
But, unfortunately, I don't get time like I used to to pray five times.

Here's an example.

In my 1st yera in Uni, I prayed daily, I got 80+ marks for all my modules
In my 2nd and 3rd year, I didn't pray regularly, I got 45+ marks.

There you go!

Old February 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid

Here's an example.

There you go!
tumi tou ekhn mia pora bandor hoisi..
rastay rastay maiya khujo.
Old February 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Also, I see it as you are either a Muslim or you are Not a Muslim ( i.e. eat Haram food, drink alcohol, etc. )

There's no IN Between
Old February 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
tumi tou ekhn mia pora bandor hoisi..
rastay rastay maiya khujo.
Chorer mukhey raam naam.
Old February 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid

Here's an example.

There you go!
45+ thats tricky. Could be anything logically.
well praying 5 times brings you on a routine,systematic way of life, concentrate mind like yoga session...........................
Old February 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

With the shahada there comes responsibility. Islam is "total submission to the will of Allah". Not his/her own wishes.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuaib
well if you eat haram foods and all i think you will be around non-religious, and i am quite religious muslim, i try to pray 5 times a day and read the Qur'an every week. sometimes im a bit off go off and do bad stuff that i dont want. religion helps me.
I wasn't referring to you ... lol. I was just making a general point/view
Old February 17, 2008, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

well...i dont exactly know what type of Muslim I am, I pray 5 times a day nearly every day or if I cant I make sure I pray kaza, I have never drank alchohol in my life and dont intend to and I try my best to avoid haram food, I have ate the occasional McDonalds but never had pork. But my views are different to what Imams preach in the mosques I believe religeon shouldnt have anything to do with a country's government and believe women shouldnt be supressed in our community and also belive that madrashas should be banned in our coutry as I think that youngsters should go to school and in there spare time if they are interested they can go to learn Islam in the mosque and I totally oppose the idea of jihad in Islam.
Old February 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
well...i dont exactly know what type of Muslim I am, I pray 5 times a day nearly every day or if I cant I make sure I pray kaza, I have never drank alchohol in my life and dont intend to and I try my best to avoid haram food, I have ate the occasional McDonalds but never had pork. But my views are different to what Imams preach in the mosques I believe religeon shouldnt have anything to do with a country's government and believe women shouldnt be supressed in our community and also belive that madrashas should be banned in our coutry as I think that youngsters should go to school and in there spare time if they are interested they can go to learn Islam in the mosque and I totally oppose the idea of jihad in Islam.
one simple question...wat's ur definition of Jihad?? frm what i understand ur talking abt Jihad = war...correct me if i'm wrongg...
Old February 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

For god's sake, not again.
Guys, please, stick to the subject topic.
IF you wanna talk about Jihad, go open a new thread and do so.

I think Shuaib opened a really good thread.Thanks mate.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 17, 2008, 12:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Now to the subject topic.

Personally, I like to think myself as an "reformist" Muslim.
I believe we need to approach our religion in the context of 21st century but still keeping the core values intact. Im NOT saying any radical change, but even though i havent read the translated version of The Holy Quran, but i believe its open to wide interpretitions and hence, the undoings/wrong doings in our current society.

I believe we all need to have a good basic understanding of the religions and not just Islam. We should know about other big mainstream religions like Christianity, Judaism and also Hinduism. Knowing about them would also help us to understand our own religion.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
With the shahada there comes responsibility. Islam is "total submission to the will of Allah". Not his/her own wishes.
exactly.

unfortunately, thus far in life, i've proven myself to be quite irresponsible...even as i type this post.

islam today is in flux. as reza aslan said, we are living in the midst of an islamic reformation.

but as far as my beliefs, i can't really be put into any one of the 4 poll options. but i will list what i think is true islamic belief (whether i act upon the beliefs or not).

- the importance of the 5 pillars (iman, salaat, sawm, zakat, hajj)
- the adherence to the quran and the sunnah (so long as it complies with 'the spirit of the quran')
- the belief that faith itself is incomplete without acceptance of and implementation of the above 2 things.

thus, unfortunately, i (and most muslims in the world) have incomplete faith in islam.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

I consider myself a devout Muslim who sees "Modernist" ideals to be very compatible with Islam.
Old February 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
people who decide to make thier children go into madrasas are people who believe it will do the good for them in thier life by having the knowledge of islam and reading the arabic script, i believe majority of the people go to madrasas come from villages, if they go to school it wont give many oppurtunities in careers in the country so going to religious school, they can become top imams but i clearly oppose the idea of banning madrasas. Jihad is one of the five pillars of Islam, you cannot oppose it.
Well..thats my point, the government should make changes so that Imams are not from madrashas only..I think all children must go to school where they should get their education without any religeous backing and then if their parents want them to learn Islam they can go to mosque to learn Islam. I want it banned because madrashas are brainwashing millions of children and drifting them away from Bengali culture and also in a way spreading extremism to children who are vulnerable. And are u trying to say that there are more opportunities if someone goes to madrasha than a normal school? And we have to force the moshjids to accept imams from normal schools as well

Last edited by bdchamp20; February 17, 2008 at 01:55 PM..
Old February 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
people who decide to make thier children go into madrasas are people who believe it will do the good for them in thier life by having the knowledge of islam and reading the arabic script, i believe majority of the people go to madrasas come from villages, if they go to school it wont give many oppurtunities in careers in the country so going to religious school, they can become top imams but i clearly oppose the idea of banning madrasas. Jihad is one of the five pillars of Islam, you cannot oppose it.
jihad is NOT one of the five pillars of islam. some consider it to be a de facto '6th pillar of islam'.

jihad as enshrined in the quran is based purely on defensive engagements. the salafist view that jihad is an offensive obligation to conquor the world is a prime example of muslims who woefully bend islam to fit their own personal whims and fancies.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

so much misconception, misuse , unclear view about jihad. Sometime things discussed over and over again due to newbies joining into forum or members didnt read previous thread about same topic. Its sometime really hard to find the real meaning of something because of diversity of media with different type of people's interest.
Although its off topic but topics sometime bring other topic as reference for the sake of continue on topic. i think the following link describes the meaning of jihad with Quranic point of view which might helps who doesnt have clear understanding of jihad.

http://www.quranicstudies.com/article96.html
Old February 18, 2008, 12:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Is It. I know these are the five pillar
1. Shahadah
2. Salat
3. Sawm
4. Zakat
5. Hajj.

Please do not mislead. And Sahi Hadith is Jihad agaienst yourself is the best Jihad; not the Jihad Mr. Osama is propagating was recommended
Old February 18, 2008, 01:20 AM

Ahh ... so many 'religious' threads on FC forum these days!! ( or should I say once again? ) People got more 'religious' all of a sudden? or feeling 'less religious' so that need to confirm the 'level of religious' every bit of topic?!
Old July 19, 2008, 06:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstud
religious identity is cOMing out more often these dayz. i have girls in my school choosing 2 wear scarf more, when 1 wears, the others copy. not really sure is it 4 being religious or identity of being muslim?
what's ur opinion?