facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 28, 2006, 03:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Realistic Chance Of A Glory

Good day and a good score.

Maybe some of you feeling 'disappointed' need to start feeling not so disappointed once in a while.

Many Kudos to Ashraful and some kudos to many a BD batsman who contributed their 'bits and pieces'.

Any team chasing 300+ can be made to implode - if the strategy is right. I see BD has a chance for some glory here.

Old February 28, 2006, 03:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

nah, we needed at least 400 on this pitch.

imagine what a sehwag would have done to a flat track. he coulda racked up 315 by himself.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Any team chasing 300+ can be made to implode - if the strategy is right. I see BD has a chance for some glory here.
And that is where I'm afraid we will be disappointed. I generally am pretty happy at Bashar's captaincy except for one thing - he doesn't attack.

Bashar likes to play it safe. Even if early wickets fall, Bashar is not usually willing to pressurize the batsmen by close-in fielding at the expense of some boundaries.

I hope he jumps on anything that smells like blood.

Given how this test is going and how the pitch is behaving, restricting SL to 400 would be a job well done. But in case of early wickets, I hope Bashar ups his game.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

If you had scored 400, you would've wanted 500.

If you had been all-out for 150, you would've hoped atleast 250.

It is human .

If no other batsman besides Ashraful have been able to play a big inning, then the pitch is not so easy after-all.

And BD stock of spinners can be no less effective than SL.

Bashar should go on an all-out attack.

What is there to lose?
Old February 28, 2006, 03:11 PM
Club Cricketer

Even Pakistan has scored many, many totals below this and won!
Especially 39-6 against India and they won by 348 runs!!!!
Nothing is impossible!
Old February 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

"Especially 39-6 against India and they won by 348 runs!!!!"

Tomoke Ekta Lathi Mara Dorkar, for reminding me of that stupid match
Old February 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

hahaha its okay DJ. you guys got paki back in the odi series.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
If no other batsman besides Ashraful have been able to play a big inning, then the pitch is not so easy after-all.
I don't think so. Here is some from local newspaper...

"The wicket was fantastic for batting. Some of our batsmen got a good start but failed to carry on, that's why I always tried to play with straight bat to be successful….” Ashraful [DailyStar]

The reason for the team to be somewhat downcast was quite obvious. The wicket was friendly towards batsmen and the Sri Lankans did not do anything extraordinary with the ball. Despite, only one batsman, Mohammad Ashraful, who played a responsible knock, the rest remained satisfied by playing an supporting role. -- NewAgeBD
Old February 28, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If you had scored 400, you would've wanted 500.

If you had been all-out for 150, you would've hoped atleast 250.

It is human .

And BD stock of spinners can be no less effective than SL.

Bashar should go on an all-out attack.

What is there to lose?
I did not complain about the score. It is a score that may allow us to actually bowl in two innings ... so, I'm fine with it.
But like I mentioned before, the pitch is pretty easy, and short of a miracle, SL will easily score 400+.

I also totally agree that Bashar should go all-out and take risks.

All I am trying to say is that I am afraid that Bashar doesn't think that tyranically.

Btw, really looking fwd to the Enamul Magic descend on SL. Does anyone know if SL faced Enamul Jr. before? (I think not).

Edited on, February 28, 2006, 8:18 PM GMT, by Sauron.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

it all depends on how far the two in the middle can drag the inning, and how much our mediocre bowlers can improvise after.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

I'll be surprisd if the two in the middle lasts more than two overs tomorrow.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

We would be lucky if we can make it a draw won't be easy though .
Old February 28, 2006, 03:33 PM
Cricket Legend

BD has a chance for a glory. That need not be in terms of winning or draw.

Making SL huff and puff before winning, snatching a first inning lead - howsoever small and so on can all qualify as something glorious for now.

Win - nothing can beat that and that's what should be sought.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

If BD can bat for one more day and half then the match is a draw caz Srilanka will need more than a day to pass 315 runs , So , won't be easy for BD . Bangladesh never played well in their last innings in the tests so far . So , how can they ?
Old February 28, 2006, 03:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Suaron, Enamul bowled in the SL tour last year. He was not very succesful wicketwise but having watched the matches, I can tell you that he was constantly asking questions of the SL batters.

Enam's problem is one that plagues many talented but young spinners. They try to take a wicket with every ball instead of formulating a plan for each batsman. The same used to be true for Bhajji (maybe it's still true). This is where Rafique can be a good example for Enam. Rafique does not have the variations or the RPMs of Enam. But what Rafique does have is an innate ability to set batsmen up. Watch the dismissal of Jayawardena in ODI2. He kinda bowled the same line and same lenght while varying the degree of toss and loop. Got the batsmen to the mindframe where he was busy following the flight - and then threw in a slightly quicker one, pitched further up. Jaya went for the sweep, got the top edge and boom. This is the kind of patience that Enam needs to acquire and will no doubt do so with time. In the U-19 level and NCL level he was playing against ppl as impatient as him so the wickets came more readily.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
Suaron, Enamul bowled in the SL tour last year. He was not very succesful wicketwise but having watched the matches, I can tell you that he was constantly asking questions of the SL batters.

Enam's problem is one that plagues many talented but young spinners. They try to take a wicket with every ball instead of formulating a plan for each batsman. The same used to be true for Bhajji (maybe it's still true). This is where Rafique can be a good example for Enam. Rafique does not have the variations or the RPMs of Enam. But what Rafique does have is an innate ability to set batsmen up. Watch the dismissal of Jayawardena in ODI2. He kinda bowled the same line and same lenght while varying the degree of toss and loop. Got the batsmen to the mindframe where he was busy following the flight - and then threw in a slightly quicker one, pitched further up. Jaya went for the sweep, got the top edge and boom. This is the kind of patience that Enam needs to acquire and will no doubt do so with time. In the U-19 level and NCL level he was playing against ppl as impatient as him so the wickets came more readily.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I agree. Rafique has a master plan for each batsman ... hope he can impart some of his thought processing to Enamul.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:02 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

DJ, I do not see a way to avoid loose here. Unless you mean glory = avoid innings defeat, there is no way for glory.

at max, bd 2nd innings can bat for a day. that gives lankans 3 days to match the total runs of bd. surely, it won't take that long. so no chance of draw. win, if you really thought about that is out of question. no way we are going to get 20 SL wickets without mashrafee.

since first day the pitch did not favore spinners so much murali got only 3 wickets. he will get at least 7 in the 2nd innings.

we did got by our standard, but that is so low compared to int'l standard in test, this is now even a respected total.

bowling wize, as usual, it all depends on rafique. I know most people rate enamul very high, and I hope they are right, but I will consider him to be over rated until he performs. to me, the only team he ever performed against is a lowly zimbos. so, he has not proven himself yet.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
Club Cricketer

Have believe in the team mate's. This is one of the best days I can remember in test's. I have had the misfortune to be present in both Test's Bangladesh played in England. After that batting whole day is a bonus. Now if they can push the SL little bit then batting fourth innings is never easy.
I reckon we got a chance (I am born optimist !)
Old February 28, 2006, 04:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Jayasuriya is gone. So the batting line up is less "mardanga". Another good thing is Vaas's absent. You could see him scoring a century here or at least get to a close one. Having said that it reminds me of Samarewara and dilshan's 300+ partnership. Grrrrr!!!! So a tall order to follow.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ

Enamul is a brilliant kid, but everybody has blind spots. Give him a call with your thoughts man.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

second day will be very important for us... hopefully we can put some pressure on Srilankans batters.... If shahadat and russel can pick some early wickets, rafiq and enam can settle in and do their thing..... their opening doesn't look that strong as jayasuriya and attapattu is missing..........
Old February 28, 2006, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
second day will be very important for us... hopefully we can put some pressure on Srilankans batters.... If shahadat and russel can pick some early wickets, rafiq and enam can settle in and do their thing..... their opening doesn't look that strong as jayasuriya and attapattu is missing..........
Actually 2nd day isn't important at all. You already know how many runs Srilanka will have tomorrow.

Middle of day after Srilanka declares (or all out) and the 4th day is when the match could get exciting.

I am hoping a lot of our batsmen will come through since they had a good understanding of the pitch but little runs to show for it.

Golla always produces after he gets highly criticised.

On the other hand I hope Ashraful doesn't get too happy with himself.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:

Actually 2nd day isn't important at all. You already know how many runs Srilanka will have tomorrow.
lol...... you are on your way to beat fwullah in the most pessimist catagory
Old February 28, 2006, 04:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Enam's problem is one that plagues many talented but young spinners. They try to take a wicket with every ball instead of formulating a plan for each batsman....
Enamul is a brilliant kid, but everybody has blind spots. Give him a call with your thoughts man. [/quote]Heh,
তাহোলে
Whatmore পয়সা পায় কেন?
Old February 28, 2006, 05:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

if we can jst keep it going for the last man and make it to 350 or 400 then that wud be awsome and we would have a chance of making it a draw. hope our bowlers do us proud.