facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion
Default Just how popular is cricket in Bangladesh?

Okay, people must think this is a stupid question. But I have to ask this, I really think we aren't that crazy. Mind you, I am not saying we don't love cricket that much, but I think the passion is certainly less than India. Yes, there were journalists and media people who told the excitement was more in Bangladesh than in India during World Cup, but lets face it. In a day ODI match, you dont see full houses, in the recently concluded BPL, three quarters of matches were played in empty stands, crowds never come to see tests. Well, people will argue this is due to because we cant compete, but I have a counterpoint. During 2005 Zimbabwe home series, there was a local report which moaned the fact there wasn't a full house to witness the last day of the test we won. Even the last day of 2nd test, which was at an interesting point, there was barely anyone. And in matches where we put up fights, like in Fatullah, the last day had no one come in. So the point fails because people would have come to atleast see where we had a shot at winning. Compare this to India, or even Australia, where cricket is actually followed in large numbers, see their test macthes, the odis, and even their local domestic t20s or big bash. Its a big hit. What about BPL, Chris Gayle slamming those sixes into empty stands. I think people confuse our celebrations to think we are cricket crazy, but maybe we arent that passionate after all. A hypothetical scenario would be: suppose there was a 100,000 stadium in the busiest and most easily accessible place of Dhaka, and say Bangladesh is playing some attractive test cricket, and making a good comeback, but still I guess we wouldnt see the same numbers like how you can expect crowds in Kolkata when India is playing that sort of cricket, ofocurse given the oppsoition is a top quality team. So things like that kind of convinces me we still arent that obsessed with this game, as maybe say India, or Pakistan are. Part of the reason is the game is only a hit amongst the younger geenration. Probably, when this generation becomes old, then we'll have an entire population whose first choice will be cricket!