facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 8, 2011, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Default Are you a good Tipper?

Zeeshan's tips at Danny's got me thinking - was that a good tip? He tipped around 1.20 for a 3.80 meal - a whopping 30% but should percentage matter when the total bill is so low? I mean he probably would not have tipped $60 if it was a 200 dollars dinner - or maybe he would have who knows.

So what kind of a tipper do you think you are? How do you tip or do you tip at all?

As for me, I am actually a confused tipper. I try to tip more at lesser establishments than fancier ones. Basically my messed up rules is that the lower your income is, the higher I try to tip you. It is hard to get it right (how much people in that position make) most of the time. But often the problem is lower income ones give you pretty bad service that your inclination to tip is out of pity and not satisfaction.

Old June 8, 2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Interesting. In the US - where waiters earn jack all - I usually start off at 20%. But then the percentage goes up or down based on how the service was. I have paid 100% once - but that was on a $20 bill though.

I prefer to go up rather than down but ....

I have also paid just 1 cent when I have been horribly upset by the service. Happened twice - the only times that I have ever under-tipped. This was not a bad day at the office for them.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:19 AM
Cricket Legend

I believe tip expectations are higher in the USA, which is why I tip betwee 15% even for average service.
In the UAE, India, Far East and Bangladesh I generally tip 10-12%, with 15% for good service and 20% for exceptional service.

I have also refused to tip once because of exceptionally bad service at an Olive Garden in Dallas, but we made a mistake in not letting them know why we did not tip; probably led to a Catch 22 thing; did we tip because of bad service or did they offer bad service because we did not tip ?
Old June 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I do anywhere from 10 to 35% here in Asia. 20 to 30% in the USA.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 9, 2011, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

I think my tipping habits are changing as I get more exposure to different services. I have received some amazing service recently which totally changed my outlook on what a good service is supposed to be. At restaurants, I used to tip in the a standard 10-15% range in college, no matter how the service was. Recently, I have upped it to 20% standard but sometimes total bill is so high (ie a big family outing) that a 20% tip comes out to be around $70-80 - when I wonder if that 20 percent rule should apply for an hour and a half outing? Seems a little high.

Now back to good service - like i said, the more exposure i get - my eyes are opened. There has been services that I received which I call trying to get good tips service (ie introducing name, touching my shoulder, talking to me like i am a baby) but then when it comes to filling my freaken glass - NOTHING. I don't give a f what you r name is as long as I get my cold water without me asking or get thing without looking for you.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
20 to 30% in the USA.
even if the total is $500? You might have a bill like that in a BC get together. One can argue, yes, because he is serving more people. But running around 10 tables for 20 customers is not same as running around for 20 customers in 1-2 tables.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Now I am in paradise - a country where one does NOT tip. Not even bell hops.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Now I am in paradise - a country where one does NOT tip. Not even bell hops.
that's where I wanna live where tipping is not mandatory but a gesture of extreme satisfaction. I bet services in your paradise is genuine cuz they aren't after your wallet.
Old June 9, 2011, 01:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Ask your wife...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 9, 2011, 01:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
even if the total is $500? You might have a bill like that in a BC get together. One can argue, yes, because he is serving more people. But running around 10 tables for 20 customers is not same as running around for 20 customers in 1-2 tables.
On bills that size it's usually 15%.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 9, 2011, 01:05 AM
Cricket Legend

I have generally tipped based on the type of service-industry, service and mood.

For example, a $60 massage would generally be followed by a $20 tip. At dance clubs, generally a $2 tip for a $3 beer or a $5 for a shot or a drink. $5 tip on a $14 haircut. $5 tip on a $30 bill at Olive Gardens ($10 once - when a server got me couple of fine-tasting wine and said it was on the house). Generally a $2 tip at the "Indian" Restaurants ("Indian" because quite a few of them are actually run by Pakistanis and Bangladeshis - and all of them, whether run by Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi - have nothing in the name of courtesy or service).

On shuttle services to airport, i generally tip based on whether the driver offered to to help with the bags or not and it between $2-$5 based on whether he just offloads the bag or helps port them upto the curb.
Old June 9, 2011, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
that's where I wanna live where tipping is not mandatory but a gesture of extreme satisfaction. I bet services in your paradise is genuine cuz they aren't after your wallet.
Unfortunately no. Well maybe the surly attitude is genuine. But then again you don't get the over solicitous waiters fawning over you as you try to eat.

"How is the steak sir?"
"The steak? Oh it's very good" when you really mean, "This? Feels like your lowly USDA choice one gets at Pathmark. Be a good man, just stay where you were and keep an eye on my glass and refill it when it's empty. Like now."

But the advantage of a tipless restaurant is that you can call down any waitperson to help with whatever you need. You don't get ignored because "that's not my table".
Old June 9, 2011, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Ask your wife...
she said she is a good tipper. But i think she is a lousy tipper. All girls are. They only know how to judge you in your first dates but they tip badly i think from my limited experience.
Old June 9, 2011, 01:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
But the advantage of a tipless restaurant is that you can call down any waitperson to help with whatever you need. You don't get ignored because "that's not my table".
True. I was in one of these "tipless" not "topless" restaurants, and your post just reminded me of the embarrassing thing that I did. So after my appetizer, the chef came down himself to serve me the food - he had his gown and chef hat on and everything. I wasn't paying attention until when I noticed the hesitancy when I handed him the appetizer plate. He took the plate and said enjoy your meals - and handed the plates to a waitress on his way back.

I guess I struck his ego and should have had a brief convo with him. That would have been the classy thing to do. So the customers can blow it sometimes too
Old June 9, 2011, 02:06 AM
Cricket Savant

I always knew that TIP's derivation has to do with the abbreviation of To Insure Promptness. At least that's what Snapple fun fact said.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 9, 2011, 05:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

I never got the percentage deal. Must be an American thing. I tip based on convenience and my mood at the time.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

guyes, tips on dates are usually a good basis to judge a guy on,so tip extra when ur on dates...
Old June 9, 2011, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
I never got the percentage deal. Must be an American thing. I tip based on convenience and my mood at the time.
Yes. Servers in the US are paid well below minimum wage, with the expectation that they will make up the rest via tips. Unfortunate, but that's how it is. Even minimum wage is not enough to live on (~$8 an hour). Imagine having to live on $3.50. So I'll tip the now convention of 20% if they do their job. But if they don't I do not wish to subsidize incompeten.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old June 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Once after a night out on a week day me and my mate went to Sydney's Chinatown to eat something. It was 1 am and we only found a Korean restaurant open. But I was just happy that something was open. We ordered 'duck noodles'. They were huge portions- four people could easily eat one serve. I could only eat the duck. The bill was 30 dollars. When I was going to tip the waiter my mate said, "what you doin bro?" I said; "just five bucks". I was feeling bad not to leave something on the table coz the waiter saw me bringing out a 100 dollar note and I was just appreciative that the restaurant was still open. My mate said, "look at your bowl, you haven't eaten anything, that's their tip". Everytime I tip in a restaurant ever since I remember that mate.
Old June 9, 2011, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
My mate said, "look at your bowl, you haven't eaten anything, that's their tip". Everytime I tip in a restaurant ever since I remember that mate.
that's an awful thing to say. Why would you have that etched in your memory? that's disgusting. You should make new memories - I would be pissed if I remember some low life comment like that every time i am about to tip.

you are not tipping the chef/cook. You are tipping the server/for service. Besides you couldn't eat cuz they gave you "too much", not that the food was bad. So punish people for being generous.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
that's an awful thing to say. Why would you have that etched in your memory? that's disgusting. You should make new memories - I would be pissed if I remember some low life comment like that every time i am about to tip.

you are not tipping the chef/cook. You are tipping the server/for service. Besides you couldn't eat cuz they gave you "too much", not that the food was bad. So punish people for being generous.
you are taking it too seriously. I remember it 'cause it sounded funny at that moment. Not that I stopped tipping because of what he said.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Desis are worst tippers. In my twenties, I was big time into clubbing and was friends with pretty much all the DJs in town, so had access to VIP privileges (jump the queue, no entry fees etc.). At one time, i took my entire project team of 14 members (we had a team-build that had continued way into the night) for free to a premier dance club. Once inside, i generally part ways - there is nothing impressive about group of desis either huddled together or trying to dance TOGETHER. Anyways, most of the times, much to my surprise and dismay, i have observed that very few of them ever tip the bartender. Surprised because given that they had entered for free, i would generally expect them to be liberal with the bartenders. I confronted a few and some of the interesting i got was "She is not gonna remember me, so what's the point".

Well, the point is - they do remember. They don't remember you specifically, but they form a profile and start to judge based on that profile. It reflects when there are 10 people trying to get a drink and the bartender refuses to notice you or comes to you after she is done with everyone else. And the worst you can do is raise your voice with "Excuse Me" or whatever. You may thinh it is a racial thing - it maybe but it is often someting more.

On few occassion where someone was buying the drink for me but refused to tip, i went ahead and did that myself anyways. Eventually, I stopped taking "guests" to dance-clubs.

I understand that our culture makes us a little more conservative than we should be, and that is not a bad thing. But confusing an outing for pleasure or fun with a trip to save pennies is not the way to go about it. I may be wrong but that's my take.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I usually tip 10-30% depending on service. Once I did 40%, because service was good, and I wanted to get rid of change
Old June 9, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Desis are worst tippers. In my twenties, I was big time into clubbing and was friends with pretty much all the DJs in town, so had access to VIP privileges (jump the queue, no entry fees etc.). At one time, i took my entire project team of 14 members (we had a team-build that had continued way into the night) for free to a premier dance club. Once inside, i generally part ways - there is nothing impressive about group of desis either huddled together or trying to dance TOGETHER. Anyways, most of the times, much to my surprise and dismay, i have observed that very few of them ever tip the bartender. Surprised because given that they had entered for free, i would generally expect them to be liberal with the bartenders. I confronted a few and some of the interesting i got was "She is not gonna remember me, so what's the point".

Well, the point is - they do remember. They don't remember you specifically, but they form a profile and start to judge based on that profile. It reflects when there are 10 people trying to get a drink and the bartender refuses to notice you or comes to you after she is done with everyone else. And the worst you can do is raise your voice with "Excuse Me" or whatever. You may thinh it is a racial thing - it maybe but it is often someting more.

On few occassion where someone was buying the drink for me but refused to tip, i went ahead and did that myself anyways. Eventually, I stopped taking "guests" to dance-clubs.

I understand that our culture makes us a little more conservative than we should be, and that is not a bad thing. But confusing an outing for pleasure or fun with a trip to save pennies is not the way to go about it. I may be wrong but that's my take.
At clubs they do remember you. I got great service because I always tip. This included free drinks at times.
Old June 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I tip 15%-20% and nothing at McDonalds.