facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 5, 2011, 08:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Default "I AM NOT SHOCKED" Shakib remains buoyant

Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Daily Star Sports

'I am not shocked'
Shakib remains buoyant
Bishwajit Roy

Shakib Al Hasan was surprised but not entirely shocked by the board's decision to strip him of the captaincy.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) fired Shakib and his deputy Tamim Iqbal following the team's debacle in the recent tour of Zimbabwe where the Tigers lost both one-off Test and five-match one-day series.

“I am surprised by the sudden decision but I am not shocked. I can take things easy which is my strength. The board definitely took this decision for betterment of the game, so I must accept it,” said Shakib in his immediate reaction over telephone.

It was hard to believe that the man had lost the captaincy after the way he was talking to this reporter. The 24-year all-rounder sounded jovial all through the conversation.

“As a captain I must take the responsibility for the poor showing in Zimbabwe. But still I believe that we had lack of preparation and that was one of the main reasons behind the debacle,” admitted Shakib.

When asked whether he was ready to accept all the blame for the debacle, Shakib said: “I don't want to say anything more but you people are here to find out if anything was there for the debacle. You see in our country everywhere we make someone scapegoat for any failure because we don't want to dig deep to find out the real problem and there is no exception. This is our system. We always try to solve problems casually.”

Most of the board directors came down heavily on Shakib and Tamim for their failure as leaders while they were discussing on the reports of the touring team management but the victims didn't get the opportunity to defend themselves. Team operations manager Tanjeeb Ahsan Saad is also removed from his post.

Surprisingly Enayet Hossain Siraj, BCB's director and chairman of the cricket operations committee who could have raised his voice in defense of all the issues including his committee's failure to handle the matter properly, ducked the all-important meeting. Some of his colleagues got surprised by the absence of Siraj and vice-president Ahmed Sajjadul Alam in this crucial meeting and they believe things could have been different if these two important members hadn't ducked deliberately.

Shakib was however little bothered with the fact that he didn't get the opportunity to defend himself.

“Better ask them (whether it could have been better if they got the opportunity to defend themselves) but I'm little bothered with this because I don't expect something like that.

"True I have a vision with the team especially when I have still two series in my hand as a captain but now I will be able to fully concentrate on my own game,” explained Shakib.

He also dismissed the allegation that they have attitude problem and misunderstanding with the other teammates.

“One can say lot of things from the outside. But I know myself. I am not arrogant and don't do anything intentionally to hurt anybody. Okay it's better not to talk more regarding this issue,” he defended.

Definitely it was a biggest shock for Shakib in his so far successful international career but the young man was as optimistic as he could be with the team and his personal career.

Old September 5, 2011, 09:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

A TIMELINE SINCE SHAKIB BECAME CAPTAIN

June 9, 2009: After Mashrafe Bin Mortaza injures his knee during the first Test against West Indies, Shakib takes over and Bangladesh win by 95 runs.

August 2, 2009: The world's No 1 all-rounder helps complete the Test and ODI series victory over West Indies.

December 21, 2009: Shakib bowls a terrible last spell for Abahani as they lose to Mohammedan in the Dhaka Premier League. Abahani officials including BCB chief AHM Mustafa Kamal is furious with the player.

January 22, 2010: Shakib counters the BCB president on player commitment (in front of the media) during a prize-giving function at a local hotel.

March 2, 2010: After Mashrafe's comeback against England is flat, Shakib is less than impressed. Having received an icy reception from the management, Mashrafe walks out of the team hotel.

In the interim: Shakib is asked to captain on a series-by-series basis till the Asia Cup in mid-2010 but the Magura lad is less than happy with the arrangement.

July 8, 2010: Mashrafe returns as captain for the England ODIs.

October 5, 2010: Mashrafe again gets injured during a match, this time against New Zealand, and Shakib takes over.

October 17, 2010: Shakib is brilliant with bat, ball and captaincy as he leads Bangladesh to an astounding 4-0 series win over New Zealand.

November 28, 2010: Shakib is 'imposed' the captaincy after he refuses to take over against on a series-by-series basis.

December 1, 2010: Bangladesh is beaten by Zimbabwe and Shakib expresses his displeasure with the team selection.

December 31, 2010: Shakib is made captain for the year 2011. Tamim is his deputy.

January 8, 2011: Shakib is bought by famed IPL side Kolkata Knight Rider for $425,000.

January 15, 2011: As Mohammedan captain, Shakib taunts Abahani. But the next day, his team lose by ten wickets.

March 6, 2011: After Bangladesh were humiliated by West Indies in the World Cup, Shakib declares "war" on former cricketers.

March 11, 2011: Bangladesh beat England by a whisker and Shakib cries at the culmination of a terrible week.

March 20, 2011: Bangladesh bow out of the World Cup with another disastrous performance against South Africa.

April 9, 2011: Shakib's go-slow approach against Australia during a crucial stage surprises everyone, including his opposite number Michael Clarke.

April 15, 2011: Shakib loses his world No 1 all-rounder spot after two years.

July 18, 2011: Shakib unhappy over team selection for Zimbabwe. His 2-day leave after arriving from England and not meeting new coach triggers BCB to finally give him a letter of warning.

August 21, 2011: Bangladesh end up losing a Test and the one-day series against Zimbabwe.

September 5, 2011: BCB sacks Shakib as captain, bringing his attitude into question.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

^ when you put it that way it just makes Shakib look like a selfish player.

regardless he is still one of the 2 men that other team really worries about when they face us.
Old September 6, 2011, 12:22 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
Daily Star Sports

'I am not shocked'
Shakib remains buoyant
Bishwajit Roy

Shakib Al Hasan was surprised but not entirely shocked by the board's decision to strip him of the captaincy.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) fired Shakib and his deputy Tamim Iqbal following the team's debacle in the recent tour of Zimbabwe where the Tigers lost both one-off Test and five-match one-day series.

“I am surprised by the sudden decision but I am not shocked. I can take things easy which is my strength. The board definitely took this decision for betterment of the game, so I must accept it,” said Shakib in his immediate reaction over telephone.

It was hard to believe that the man had lost the captaincy after the way he was talking to this reporter. The 24-year all-rounder sounded jovial all through the conversation.

“As a captain I must take the responsibility for the poor showing in Zimbabwe. But still I believe that we had lack of preparation and that was one of the main reasons behind the debacle,” admitted Shakib.

When asked whether he was ready to accept all the blame for the debacle, Shakib said: “I don't want to say anything more but you people are here to find out if anything was there for the debacle. You see in our country everywhere we make someone scapegoat for any failure because we don't want to dig deep to find out the real problem and there is no exception. This is our system. We always try to solve problems casually.”

Most of the board directors came down heavily on Shakib and Tamim for their failure as leaders while they were discussing on the reports of the touring team management but the victims didn't get the opportunity to defend themselves. Team operations manager Tanjeeb Ahsan Saad is also removed from his post.

Surprisingly Enayet Hossain Siraj, BCB's director and chairman of the cricket operations committee who could have raised his voice in defense of all the issues including his committee's failure to handle the matter properly, ducked the all-important meeting. Some of his colleagues got surprised by the absence of Siraj and vice-president Ahmed Sajjadul Alam in this crucial meeting and they believe things could have been different if these two important members hadn't ducked deliberately.

Shakib was however little bothered with the fact that he didn't get the opportunity to defend himself.

“Better ask them (whether it could have been better if they got the opportunity to defend themselves) but I'm little bothered with this because I don't expect something like that.

"True I have a vision with the team especially when I have still two series in my hand as a captain but now I will be able to fully concentrate on my own game,” explained Shakib.

He also dismissed the allegation that they have attitude problem and misunderstanding with the other teammates.

“One can say lot of things from the outside. But I know myself. I am not arrogant and don't do anything intentionally to hurt anybody. Okay it's better not to talk more regarding this issue,” he defended.

Definitely it was a biggest shock for Shakib in his so far successful international career but the young man was as optimistic as he could be with the team and his personal career.
i love it..

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old September 6, 2011, 12:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

atodine line a aise pola...tamim re badh dia shobce fatafati kaj hoise...tamim ta beshi unlucky. Khub valo hoilo. Valo khobor khub moja paitesi.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 6, 2011, 03:04 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Reading this, Sakib comes across as a bit of a jerk. He says " I am not arrogant and don't do anything intentionally to hurt anybody" but when you look at his ill-discpline record and how he has behaved ungraciously, he clearly is in denial.

The line also " I can take things easy which is my strength" explains much why he doesn't wish to train, was found sleeping in the changing room during the WC match against Ireland, and generally would rather do nothing than practice.

Finally he says: " we had lack of preparation and that was one of the main reasons behind the debacle". Hang on a minute! Weren't you CAPTAIN and in the absence of a Head Coach isn't the captain the main man? What is so hard for the players to have nets themselves? Other players around the world do this and don't wait to be told to train. It was lack of SKILL not matches, that made the players play poorly. If the captain fails to spot that and do nothing about it, then he is just as much to blame as anyone.

Easy to blame the administration here but at the end of the day players have to be professional international cricketers. The players wanted control, they have it. Sakib and Tamim wanted to run the show, they got it. A TRUE leader would not have waited for a disaster to happen but instead tried to do something about it.

he is starting to sound like SidVision who pointed the finger everywhere else except at himself. The axe eventually fell on his neck too, but not before some dreadful performances had uncovered a lack of ability to run the team.

What made things WORSE for Sakib though, like SidVision was he then attempted to blame the failings on this: "You see in our country everywhere we make someone scapegoat for any failure because we don't want to dig deep to find out the real problem". Whilst that maybe true, the team still won a series 4-0 when it trained properly so it's again clear the CAPTAIN doesn't wish to take any responsibility for the sliding away of the team since he has been in charge. There have been dressing room spats, problems with stories in the media and also his sometimes bizarre bowling changes. The 'real problem' may be some large part due to the captain himself but he deflected that, as he always seems to do.

So Sakib should not be shocked at all by this and nor should he be surprised about his own demise. Right now Sakib is starting to look like a fading star and I feel he should try to work twice as hard to get that respect back as a player first.

Last edited by LBW103; September 6, 2011 at 04:37 AM..
Old September 6, 2011, 03:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Thats why I like him. he is not afraid to say whats fact in public.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

He is clearly not happy with the decision. He is just not expressing anger on the media as that will seriously put him in trouble with the board. He has no choice but to go on with it. Now the question is will he support the new captain willfully?
Old September 6, 2011, 10:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
He is clearly not happy with the decision. He is just not expressing anger on the media as that will seriously put him in trouble with the board. He has no choice but to go on with it. Now the question is will he support the new captain willfully?
Good question.

I don;t know Sakib personally, but based on whatever I have seen about him I would think:

1. He would take it as a personal challenge.

2. He will concentrate more on personal accomplishment wi is not bad for the team.

3. On "Will he support the new captain willfully?", it all depends who is the next captain, and how he approach Sakib and shows his leadership skill? For example if its Rahim, I see no problem. On the otherhand if its dead-wood like Ashraful, I see possibility of non-cooperation in one hand and in other hand still making Sakib the reason for team's failure.

4. The clash between Sakib and some members of BCB will continue at different level. It will never be forgotten by Sakib.

If indeed Sakib beame the arrogant and divisive force in the team, I give more blame to BCB, Siddon for that to make things bad so far. As rumored, why Siaddon let double standard for the players? What BCB was doing all these days? Why no fine, no warning, why not addressing the issue before it gets that level?

btw according to eTV BCB fined tamim and SN for arguing with the coach. So I don;t think SN will be the next captain.
Old September 6, 2011, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

^^^ they got fined? didn't know that! how much?
Old September 6, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
^^^ they got fined? didn't know that! how much?
ETV didn;t mentioned the amount. Also no other media ( that I heard or read) metioned about SN's fine. So it may be possible that the news may not be true.
Old September 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

^^^ A player who is yet to cement his place in the team will neither be a captain, nor a vice captain. Simple as that
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old September 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I am afraid he won't give his best under the new captain. He might try to prove the BCB decision as catastrophic. In that case, our whole team may go into a catastrophic period.

But I will be extremely happy to be proven wrong.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
Daily Star Sports

When asked whether he was ready to accept all the blame for the debacle, Shakib said: “I don't want to say anything more but you people are here to find out if anything was there for the debacle. You see in our country everywhere we make someone scapegoat for any failure because we don't want to dig deep to find out the real problem and there is no exception. This is our system. We always try to solve problems casually.”.
I love this part.
So true.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I am afraid he won't give his best under the new captain. He might try to prove the BCB decision as catastrophic. In that case, our whole team may go into a catastrophic period.

But I will be extremely happy to be proven wrong.
You have a very valid concern. Thats why a new captain need to help bridge the gap, involve other key players, and lead from front ... not just expect others to lead 9where he fails). If the new captain fail to lead from front, and expect Sakib/Tamim to lead (unofficially) from front, then we are screwed up anyway with or without Sakib/Tamim issue.

There is too much money invloved in cricket beyond playing for the national team, that why I hope Sakib will atleast take care of his individual performance. It's just my hope, not prediction.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
I love this part.
So true.
That ws probably the worst part IMO. These kinds of statements are costing him.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

@LBW:

1. We can't forget that ultimately, it is the responsibility of EACH international-level player to train regularly, hone his skills and maintain his fitness. With or without a coach or captain. If ther eis a coach, when it comes to practice, the hierarchy changes, with the coach taking on a more leading role and ALL players having to obey. In this regard, if Shakib misses practice and is lazy, then I agree, he should be penalized. But we have to also enquire whether the rest of the players practice sufficiently on their own and if they do, why do they still perform less consistently than Shakib? (Even in this disastrous Zim series, where Shakib was apparently out of touch, Shakib scored 3 fifties!)

2. If the BCB does not do something considerable to improve our domestic cricket, conduct whatever overhauls are necessary within their own administration, etc etc then Shakib will have been proved to be very right in what he said about scapegoating.

3. Personally, while I think Shakib should have been disciplined, I too think that there is no alternative to his captaincy at the moment. Mashrafe is injured and while he is very popular, we can't be sure about his cricketing acumen because he has spent little time as captain. Mushy is vocal, a great encourager, has experience as captain and is apparently quite intelligent BUT he has to be consistent for a couple of more series with the bat and possibly give up the gloves to even continue in the team! (great at stumping but still misses quite a few catches every series)

Many people have used the cliche, "lead by example" but I will use another one: "actions speak louder than words". Others may be able to lead with the example of their humility, their fastidiousness in the nets or their benevolent nature but none of the current bunch, barring Shakib, can lead with the bat or ball on a relatively regular basis. (Even in this disastrous year, he's managed 5 half-centuries so far- 1 Test and 4 ODI) As we clearly don't have a player at the moment who demonstrates all of these qualities, which do we choose?
Old September 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

that timeline focuses only on the negatives mostly.

I am happy this change was made. this will help alleviate some pressure off him.

might not be good for Bangladesh cricket, but what to do?

this was a cool and professional response from Shakib. expected so from him anyways.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old September 6, 2011, 12:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
That is understood.
But we all know that problem lies much deeper than captain vice captain level.
What did bcb do for them and their management level skill? did these 2 get any kind of training. In this case, you learn as you go.
Old September 6, 2011, 12:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
I love this part.
So true.
This is very correct.Siddons also said this same way.Everybody knows here what to do but they will do it casually.This is really true.We need to solve the real problem.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Last edited by M.H.Rubel; September 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM..
Old September 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
yes they are costing him but these kind of statements are needed,very much needed.
I personally am very happy with this statement, his captaincy is gone anyway so won't cost anymore.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
Reading this, Sakib comes across as a bit of a jerk. He says " I am not arrogant and don't do anything intentionally to hurt anybody" but when you look at his ill-discpline record and how he has behaved ungraciously, he clearly is in denial.

The line also " I can take things easy which is my strength" explains much why he doesn't wish to train, was found sleeping in the changing room during the WC match against Ireland, and generally would rather do nothing than practice.

Finally he says: " we had lack of preparation and that was one of the main reasons behind the debacle". Hang on a minute! Weren't you CAPTAIN and in the absence of a Head Coach isn't the captain the main man? What is so hard for the players to have nets themselves? Other players around the world do this and don't wait to be told to train. It was lack of SKILL not matches, that made the players play poorly. If the captain fails to spot that and do nothing about it, then he is just as much to blame as anyone.

Easy to blame the administration here but at the end of the day players have to be professional international cricketers. The players wanted control, they have it. Sakib and Tamim wanted to run the show, they got it. A TRUE leader would not have waited for a disaster to happen but instead tried to do something about it.

he is starting to sound like SidVision who pointed the finger everywhere else except at himself. The axe eventually fell on his neck too, but not before some dreadful performances had uncovered a lack of ability to run the team.

What made things WORSE for Sakib though, like SidVision was he then attempted to blame the failings on this: "You see in our country everywhere we make someone scapegoat for any failure because we don't want to dig deep to find out the real problem". Whilst that maybe true, the team still won a series 4-0 when it trained properly so it's again clear the CAPTAIN doesn't wish to take any responsibility for the sliding away of the team since he has been in charge. There have been dressing room spats, problems with stories in the media and also his sometimes bizarre bowling changes. The 'real problem' may be some large part due to the captain himself but he deflected that, as he always seems to do.

So Sakib should not be shocked at all by this and nor should he be surprised about his own demise. Right now Sakib is starting to look like a fading star and I feel he should try to work twice as hard to get that respect back as a player first.
A cheap shot at Shakib

- As myself
Old September 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
yes they are costing him but these kind of statements are needed,very much needed.
I personally am very happy with this statement, his captaincy is gone anyway so won't cost anymore.
That statement suits a person when he is completely clean. "Shui chalun ke bole, you have hole at your back" that doesnt suit.

You can't encourage him to destroy his career to make you happy. He has a lot to lose. IPL, County and spot in the national team ..... for everything he needs to go through the Board. One Shoaib Akhtar has seen it all & lost what could be a dream career for anyone, due to his indiscipline. And I'm sure, you will not do/say such things for your happiness at your work place, even if the boss is an ***'ole.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

yes its a kind of risky staement that he made.

But make no mistake Shakib is no Shoeb Akther. At that point PAK had players to replace him, I don't think at this point we have similar capability players to replace Shakib.

There are bosses in top of bosses in the chain of command. And I think Sakib still have some well wishers in top of the chain of command.

I don't think our BCB boss(es) will be that much stupid to screw up Sakib's career that drastically. Afterall these BCb bosses also loves their job.

For example one small call from Prime Minister's office will make all thise Tiger BCB bosses into mouses.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Sakib is right on track.