facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 28, 2004, 12:54 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Media Release Bangaladesh U19 Program 2004

Coach McInnes was kind enough to send us the entire schedule. We'll publish it as soon as we format it for the front plage.

You may download the schedule in MS Excel format from the following link (24 kb):
Media Release Bangaladesh U19 Program 2004

Old June 28, 2004, 01:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Wed 28 - Sat 31 Jul 19TM England Under-19s Headingley
Tue 10 - Fri 13 Aug 19TM England Under-19s Taunton
Tue 17 - Fri 20 Aug 19TM England Under-19s Sophia Gardens
Tue 24 Aug 19ODI England Under-19s Arundel
Thu 26 Aug 19ODI England Under-19s Hove
Fri 27 Aug 19ODI England Under-19s Hove
:tiger:
Old June 28, 2004, 03:38 PM
Retired BC Admin

Available from the front page now.
Old June 28, 2004, 08:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Th tour schedule kindly provided by Bangladesh High Performance Manager and National Development Coach Richard McInnes and posted in the front page shows that Bangladesh U-19 will play 3 One Day Internationals on 24, 26 and 27 Augut 2004.

Can anybody kindly clarify whether those will have the status of One Day Internationals (ODIs) or otherwise?
Old June 28, 2004, 11:24 PM
Retired BC Admin

The coach himself called certain matches as being "Test Match" and "One Day International" in the media release. The Daily Star also made similar quotes.

"Test Match" and "One Day International" are subsets of First class matches and played only by the national teams of certain nations. Under 19 teams are national teams with age restrictions. Apart from this logic, I can't offer any other explanation at this point.

See Daily Star quotes >>
Old June 29, 2004, 06:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Thanks for the link and the explanation.

As reported in the New Age, the BCB also released the itinerary of the tour, according to which, the team will play three four-day matches and three one-day matches in the tour. Here is the news report- Enamul to lead U/19 .

It may be noticed that ODI term has not been used. Other newspapers were also divided in the terminologies. I tried to find from Cricinfo, but till now I failed to clarify it. I have the feeling that if there will be age restrictions, One day matches will not get the status of ODIs and same for the Tests. Those should be called as One Day Matches or Test Matches.

Since Our U-19 coach mentioned it, it may have some point too unless it is a careless mistake. Does anybody know whether any of the U-19 World Cup matches were given the status of ODIs? It might help to find the answer.
Old June 30, 2004, 12:03 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Don't see what the big deal is. Anyways, none of the matches will be test or even first class matches. The one dayers will not be (never is) ODIs.

This was press release by the coach and we simply followed it. We'd figured that most fans by now know that ODIs can only be played by the 11 ODI teams and by certain associate teams under unique circumstances (Asia cup, world cup). A test match can ONLY be played between the ten test nations in an ICC sanctioned series/tour and has to be a five day fixture (whether or not the game reaches five days is unimportant).

For first class matches - these are restricted to the 10 test nations (only the senior/national team, not the A team or the age-group teams) and their first class teams (in our case, it's the six divisional team from the national league).
Old June 30, 2004, 05:35 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't know why you guys failed to realise a simple fact that these are U-19 test matches and U-19 ODI's as you can see them mentioned in ECB's match-schedule. Remember few months ago BD A team played "A-team test matches and ODI's" against Zimbabwe A? Those were first class match though 'cause official matches involving A-teams of test playing nations must be considered as first class matches. But U-19 test matches would not be considered as first class matches due to age restriction on it.

Only matches involving national teams of test nations are considered as FULL test matches and ODI's.

[Edited on 30-6-2004 by Zephaniah : Highlighting]
Old June 30, 2004, 07:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Cordial Thanks, Zephaniah.
The clue of the ECB page helped a lot to clarify. I could find the schedule wherein these are mentioned as- Under 19 Test and
Under 19 ODI. Here are the links-

Under 19 ODI

Under 19 Test

I could find several links for the classification of 1st class matches like-Link 1, Link 2, link 3 too.

I am sorry if I would be the only one confusing about the terminologies, ODIs and Tests. But I do not mind to ask people to remove my confusions and I am thankful for extending your helping hands.

Yes, I knew well when can a one day match be classified as an ODI. But I was confused to see our coach using the term One Day International. I could not think that to be wrong since it was the schedule provided by the Coach at the same time could not accept that as a correct one for confusion, and wanted to have this clarified.

My current understanding from the posts above and some other links is that yes, these will be ODIs, and the Coach is not wrong. The terminology seems to be 100 % correct here since it was mentioned that the program schedule is for under 19 teams. Otherwise while mentioning in some article or somewherelse, we should write as Under 19 ODI., as has been mentioned in the ECB schedule to distinguish it clearly from other matches in the same list.

Ofcourse, Under 19 ODI is different from ODI. Bangladesh under 19 will play 3 under 19 ODIs along with some one day matches or one dayers, whatever may be called. Writing those 3 under 19 ODIs simply as 3 one dayers or one day matches is possibly wrong. However, such misleading terminologies are frequently used by our newspapers and even I noticed it in the Bangla Cricket message board or front page score cards in several occasions.

Thank you.