facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 1, 2003, 01:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Latest debate

So now everyone's pissed about the selection of the manager dude.Ok, I understand the fact that he doesnt have the best cricketing credentials but how much cricketing knowledge does the manager actually need?I agree that Faruq might have been a better choice but can someone actually clarify what the job description of the manager actually entails?

And then there's the new hullaballoo about team selection.Frankly speaking, I'm pretty satisfied with the team except for the selection of Sanwar.Much as I like this guy, why didn't we get someone like Mridul or Rajin Saleh, or even Biddyut for that matter?Go figure.

And there's also the debate about the captaincy.People are saying that the only reason why Akran Chacha didnt get the nod was coz he's from Abahani and all the AL connections.I actually think Mahmud is Da Man but then the debate goes on.

So waddya guys think?

Old April 1, 2003, 01:43 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

My thoughts:
1. Putting that army manager isn't a big deal. Manager doesn't need to be cricket expert.
2. I would have preferred Bidyut but sanwar is what we got. Selection can't be 100% flawless.
3. Mahmud's captaincy is perfect choice. He is someone who can bring the team together.

[Edited on 1-4-2003 by nasif]
Old April 1, 2003, 07:10 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I agree with you guys. Bidyut needs to come back, the selection comitee should figure out why they aren't taking bidyut.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:33 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

They aren't taking Bidyut because we already have 3 openers in our side - for the one dayers at least - Golla, Opee and Ashraful.

But, all this discussions / reports on papers and staffs about the manager also pisses me off.

What good did ASM Faruque did anyway? He is after all, a cricket manager - a former cricketer. But that is not important at the moment.

What is important is that we have no idea of actually what happened inside the team during the world cup. And from selecting an army man as the manager, (as well as a disciplined captain - Khaled Mahmud - not a friendly captain - Akram Khan) things only indicate that the discipline of the team during the world cup got worst with time.

May be the Investigators gave a slight idea to the BCB about what was going on inside the team - which prompted the board to take such measures as to look at the discipline side rather than cricketing side of a person.

I only hope that the manager and the captain does not become like TOO DISCIPLINED, which might cause an oppsite effect on the players and the team.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:35 AM
First BC Member

Default After All

After all, Mohinder Amarnath was such type of guy (TOO DISCIPLINED - TOO HARD on players). And we have had our share of bad luck going with him during the ICC trophy in '94 in Kenya.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Well, I made it quite clear where I stand on the manager issue under the Whatmore thread, which is probably what turned this matter into a "debate" since before I decided to speak out, everyone was all up in arms against this manager dude.

As for team selection, I think overall it isn't a bad side. I would have liked to have seen Rajin and Biddyut as well, but I don't think its a good idea to change the entire team all at once.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:37 AM
First BC Member

I think if Sanwar fails to perform with the ball (note: with the ball - not with the bat), then he will be heavily criticized for being in the side too.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Actually, Fahmida is absolutely right. From what I have gathered, the committee investigating our world cup debacle has found that the team completely fell apart during the world cup. It was in complete disarray. Communication was non-existent, and it came to such a terrible state that by the end, there were senior players who weren't talking to each other. Players were also highly resentful of Pilot, who they said were too harsh and took every opportunity to publicly embarass them. Anyway, I can't say for sure but these findings might have something to do with Faruk getting replaced. Also, the way I see things, even if Pilot had not resigned, the BCB might have been forced to replace him because some players just didnt care to play under him anymore.
Old April 1, 2003, 11:06 AM
First BC Member

Where did you read it? I want to read it firsthand.
Old April 1, 2003, 11:17 AM
First BC Member

I thought so too about Pilot - that he would have to be fired if he does not quit - but for cricketing reasons -

1) Really hesitent to come bat in the middle order (NOT AT 3, BUT AT 4 OR ESPECIALLY 5) In fact, he did came to bat at 4, but that was already too late - in the last match against Kenya.

2) Bowling rotation is one of the causes, but that is not as important as the next one:

3) Selection policy - Why wasn't Sujon, Ashraful in the side (1st match - vs Canada)? Alright - first thing's first - why was Tapash wasn't told to practice with the old ball - knowing that Monju and Mashrafee was going to open the bowling? Tapash was not given the new ball in the warm up matches to practice. Why wasn't Seejan, Sumon given more opportunities? In case of Seejan, at first he was batting at four after experimenting with him at four in the warm up matches, then he was batting as opener, that is, he was not kept batting at one position - and thus, not giving him enough time to settle, then letting him to open - the whole idea of swapping him around was a bad thing to do. In case of Sumon, he was dropped after he played wrecklessly - (OK - Sumon did not play well AT ALL vs. Canada) But what happened with Ashraful? Why was he not chosen in the first eleven for Canada match? Unlike Sumon, he didn't play as badly in the warm up matches either. And Hannan Sarkar was also not given enough opportunities to prove himself in the warm up matches.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Actually, this is why the Manager position comes so importent. It is the manager's job as the leader to keep all cool, controled. And thats why all the news media is making it a big deal. As you see, when the players are pissed, the results goes down. So it was asked, who the players want to manage them. Faruk and Atahar were named. They like both and would listen to them. At least thats what they said. So instead of having one of them, and getting an army manager, might make things go worse.

Stress can distry any team spirit.