facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 20, 2016, 10:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default $15?

Mashrafe
By Debabrata Mukherjee
$15
Bangladesh Cricket Supporters Association

Did any one read it?

It should be in our elementary text book and free. Just like we read about the black pearl.

Old February 20, 2016, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

???? What is it?
Old February 20, 2016, 10:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Mashrafe Mortaza has led Bangladesh to an impressive run of limited-overs victories in the last year or so © Associated Press

"They say even the most ordinary life has an extraordinary story. So in that regard surely Mashrafe Mortaza is something extraordinary. This man has hundreds of tales - of comedy and tragedy and of tears of joy. Mashrafe can easily be called the owner of the most dramatic life in Bangladesh's sporting history."

Author-journalist Debabrata Mukherjee's biography Mashrafe, written in Bengali, is the first significant book about the Bangladesh captain. Mortaza's international career now spans 15 years, in which his biggest challenge has been dealing with injuries. He has missed matches for long stretches of time (twice he was injured while completing a delivery) but has always shown the ability to fight back. He was the country's first fast bowling hero, and was appointed captain three times.

In his third stint as captain, now only in limited-overs cricket, Mortaza has overseen an unprecedented run of success for the side, starting in November 2014, during which time Bangladesh have won ODI series at home against Pakistan, India, South Africa, and twice against Zimbabwe, and got to the knockout stage of the World Cup for the first time in their history.

You might think the book would be filled with details of these recent successes, but Mukherjee hasn't focused on them. Instead, he has delved into Mortaza's past and discovered a lot more than what is already known about his life growing up in Narail, by the river Chitra.

Mortaza grew up in his maternal grandfather's house, and his grandmother, Khaleda Rahman Bela, a schoolteacher for many years, was a major influence in his life. The book reveals the respect Mortaza had for her.

He moved to Dhaka for better opportunities in cricket but was rushed into playing for Bangladesh A after he did well for the national Under-17s. Soon, despite a back injury, he made his Test debut, against Zimbabwe in November 2001. A few months later he was injured again, this time his ankle and back giving way after he was made to bowl 26 overs in a day in a Test in New Zealand.

© BCSA

Thus began his period of struggle, and Mukherjee captures well the ins and outs of Mortaza's life during this time. He would return to Narail, where his friends would try to keep his mind off the international cricket he was missing. It was also where he would find the inspiration to make his many comebacks.

Mukherjee discusses Mortaza's evolving bowling action, but not in great detail, which is one of few omissions in the book. He doesn't touch upon any aspects of Mortaza's cricket other than those discussed publicly from time to time.

However, there is in-depth reportage on Mortaza's career, including his match-winning performances, his relationships with Bangladesh's coaches, particularly Dav Whatmore, with whom he shares a close friendship, and Jamie Siddons, who he fell out with after being dropped from the 2011 World Cup squad.

Mortaza's wife and children don't feature much in the book, which isn't surprising, given he likes to keep them out of the public eye. But there are plenty of personal stories, particularly to do with his childhood and his special bond with his uncles and friends. The exchange between Mortaza's father and mother while talking of their marriage (Mukherjee asks: "Love or arranged?") is a gem. And there are anecdotes also about Mortaza's own wedding in Narail, when he couldn't be found to complete the ceremonies because he was busy showing guests around town.

Mukherjee also describes the darker times, when Mortaza was offered a lot of money to join the rebel Indian Cricket League in 2008, and when he was sought by a former Bangladesh cricketer for information about the Dhaka Gladiators just ahead of the inaugural Bangladesh Premier League in 2012.

The book is richer for the access Mukherjee, who wrote an interview-based book about Shakib Al Hasan last year, got from his subject. It has helped him draw an accurate picture of the life of one of Bangladesh's most iconic players.
Old February 20, 2016, 10:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
???? What is it?
Book. Biography of Mash.
Old February 20, 2016, 11:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Wonderful effrot by Mukharjee. Great book and great description here in the thread, thank you dear Tigers-eye boro bhaiya.

Where and whom am I sending the $15? Little Rock? Boro bhaiya, are you selling the book and making commission, hahaha? I would like to get a copy.

Last edited by bujhee kom; February 20, 2016 at 12:14 PM..
Old February 20, 2016, 12:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Wonderful effrot by Mukharjee. Great book and great description here in the thread, thank you dear Tigers-eye boro bhaiya.

Where and whom am I sending the $15? Little Rock? Boro bhaiya, are you selling the book and making comission, hahaha? I would like to get a copy.
Yup!!! You need to send it to my place. Not only I will take care of Shipping and handling, I will double the offer. 2 books for you.

The description was done by our Isam.

Link..
Old February 20, 2016, 12:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

what coincidence! I also looked for this book online today. But there was no PDF or torrent file available yet. Can't wait to read it. If anyone can get, will be appreciated.
Old February 20, 2016, 02:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

I have the book but I haven't finished yet. Just read first few pages and was boring a bit lol.
Old February 20, 2016, 05:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
what coincidence! I also looked for this book online today. But there was no PDF or torrent file available yet. Can't wait to read it. If anyone can get, will be appreciated.
Pretty sure you can find some Abdul Mokhlis in chinatown selling a bootleg copy for 5 bucks.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 20, 2016, 09:26 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Saw it on FB .. if anyone interested ... I'm getting a copy from back home soon!

"মাশরাফি"
প্রাপ্তিস্থান : একুশে বইমেলা
‪#‎ঐতিহ্য‬ প্রকাশনি
সোহরাওয়ারদি উদ্যান
স্টল ২৫৮,২৫৯,২৬০
মুল্য ৫০৫ টাকা
Old February 21, 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Saw it on FB .. if anyone interested ... I'm getting a copy from back home soon!

"মাশরাফি"
‪#‎ঐতিহ্য‬ প্রকাশনি
সোহরাওয়ারদি উদ্যান
স্টল ২৫৮,২৫৯,২৬০
মুল্য ৫০৫ টাকা
Send me one please Dr. Noc!
Old February 21, 2016, 01:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Looking at the thread title I thought the thread was opened by Pont.
Old February 21, 2016, 02:19 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:

"মাশরাফি"
‪#‎ঐতিহ্য‬ প্রকাশনি
সোহরাওয়ারদি উদ্যান
স্টল ২৫৮,২৫৯,২৬০
মুল্য ৫০৫ টাকা
u from Toronto?
Old February 21, 2016, 03:01 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

KP bhai - send you via canada post with a return envelope - pora hoile ferot diben arki!

Rinathq- nah! From AB!
Old February 21, 2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
KP bhai - send you via canada post with a return envelope - pora hoile ferot diben arki!

Rinathq- nah! From AB!
damm... I am also from Calgary, AB but currently in Toronto. couldve ordered a book through you.
Old February 21, 2016, 09:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

Rinathq- nah! From AB!
It was in our syllabus but can't remember who. Famous person had a huge library. He use to borrow books and never return. That is how he built it.
Old February 21, 2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Ha! Ha!! Much thanks Pasha

A warm congrats mate

Teach 'them" Bangla, I will build a library for them!
Old February 21, 2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
It was in our syllabus but can't remember who. Famous person had a huge library. He use to borrow books and never return. That is how he built it.
Not me!
Old February 21, 2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
damm... I am also from Calgary, AB but currently in Toronto. couldve ordered a book through you.
I will be in Toronto on the 27th just for one day! I could buy you a coffee...staying at the Royal York - give me a shout if you have free time and live close by!
Old February 21, 2016, 11:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
I will be in Toronto on the 27th just for one day! ....staying at the Royal York...
Nice, boro bhaiya Obayed da....that's a super nice and prestigious hotel...very historic...
I was fortunate enough to work on the ballroom/lobby and the lighting renovation of it in the early part of the last decade. Superb lobby! Super glam! Very beautiful. My wife even has an original Art Deco poster of it from turn of the century (I mean 20th).
Old February 21, 2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I will be in Toronto on the 27th just for one day! I could buy you a coffee...staying at the Royal York - give me a shout if you have free time and live close by!
Nice KP da.... maybe I can show u around the town a little bit if you time... I know you are a great photographer and I have been investing so time in it myself.
Old February 21, 2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
Nice KP da.... maybe I can show u around the town a little bit if you time... I know you are a great photographer and I have been investing so time in it myself.
That sounds great!

I will be checking in at around 4:00 pm on the 26th Feb - Last name is Haque. You can give me a call or PM me your number that I can call..
Old February 21, 2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Nice, boro bhaiya Obayed da....that's a super nice and prestigious hotel...very historic...
I was fortunate enough to work on the ballroom/lobby and the lighting renovation of it in the early part of the last decade. Superb lobby! Super glam! Very beautiful. My wife even has an original Art Deco poster of it from turn of the century (I mean 20th).
Cool Zaved! Royal York is lucky indeed.

I was planning to visit some of my friends in NY this June (prob June 17th to 19th), if I do, I would be honoured to meet the bujhee kom legend ... hopefully I would be able to make the time...
Old February 21, 2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
That sounds great!

I will be checking in at around 4:00 pm on the 26th Feb - Last name is Haque. You can give me a call or PM me your number that I can call..
Msging u
Old February 21, 2016, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Cool Zaved! Royal York is lucky indeed.

I was planning to visit some of my friends in NY this June (prob June 17th to 19th), if I do, I would be honoured to meet the bujhee kom legend ... hopefully I would be able to make the time...
আহা, আমাদের ভুলে গেলে চলবে না! বিরিয়ানির দাওয়াত চাই!