facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 10, 2013, 12:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default We are better than West Indies.

Seriously, there is no doubt that we are a better Odi team than West Indies now. We beat them recently 3-2 and now they got thrashed 5-0 in Australia. We also beat India/ SL in Odi's last year. We only need 2 points to get ahead of NZ and 6 points to get ahead of WI in rankings.

Old February 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

True say.... But we not better then them until we go past them in the ranking.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

We are on the same level as West Indies and New Zealand in ODIs. The ODIS rankings reflect that as well. I believe that there are 4 brackets when it comes to ODIs. Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan are in the lowest bracket. Bangladesh, West Indies, and New Zealand are in the next bracket. SL and Pakistan are in the 2nd bracket and then in the Elite bracket, India, England, Australia and South Africa belong there and those 4 teams have a shot at being #1.

The difference between us and New Zealand and West Indies is that we are a team on the rise while NZ and WI are struggling, rebuilding teams. So I feel it's just a matter of time when we overtake these teams. We're definitely heading in to the right direction in ODI's.

In Tests, on the the other hand, we're on the 4th bracket along with Zimbabwe, NZ and WI belong in the 3rd bracket, SL and Pakistan are in the 2nd bracket and again the elite bracket stays the same as the ODI's although India seems to be slipping in to the 2nd bracket. This is where we really need to start making moves and be on the level of NZ and WI.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

NZ is a bit depleted atm though, they're missed taylor in the last series and they're missing ryder, ronchi will be a really good addition for them batting wise and of course vettori is a solid spinner and batsman.

WI however are struggling to find consistent quality batsmen, in ODIs without gayle and samuels they struggle a bit, in tests chanderpaul holds the team together. darren bravo isn't yet ready to take over the burden as their leading batsmen. also narine is starting to get found out, hasn't made much of an impact in tests and his ODI average is starting to rise.

BD is improving, getting more wins, getting more experienced. tamim, shakib, nasir and mushy are a good strong solid base for the batting and shakib, sohag and sunny are a good base for the bowling.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

At home we are definitely stronger but still not sure about away tours. Lets see how we do in Sri Lanka
Old February 10, 2013, 08:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Our bowling is still so void of variation (thanks God for Gazi!) and our batsmen so accustomated to flat pitches, even Afghanis can threat us on sporting pitches, which is still not the case for West Indies.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Eshen is right, pitch conditions make a huge difference. We might be formidable at home, but overseas, we've only ever won one game in a proper away match vs a top side, apart for a few neutral venue wins here and there.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 10, 2013, 09:51 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

The Sri Lanka tour will show us where we stand. Sri Lankan pitches can surprise most people as it offers swing early on and assist spinners later. Our batsman will be tested by their varied spin attack as well as decent pace attack. I think Shohag Gazi will find a lot of success and also Enamul Hq Jr.

In terms of pacers, if we look at their successful pacers over the years like Vaas or Kulesekara we would know that medium pacers have had a decent amount of impact there. We could gamble with medium pacers who has good control over erratic faster bowlers with no strategy. I don't think debuting someone from the domestic with decent FC average would do too much damage to our chances. Whatever pace options we choose our bowling fortunes will rely basically on how well our spinners bowl on Sri Lankan wickets. If the pacers can get one opener out cheaply it would be a bonus for us.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Not really, no. Aus at home is one of the toughest teams to beat. Although I would say on turning/slow pitches BD are better, but not by much. And I would expect NZ to do MUCH better in BD this time. They just beat SA at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
NZ is a bit depleted atm though, they're missed taylor in the last series and they're missing ryder, ronchi will be a really good addition for them batting wise and of course vettori is a solid spinner and batsman.
Taylor's back, Ronchi won't be around much IMO - he's already 30+. Same with Dan, who's near the end of his career.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
We are on the same level as West Indies and New Zealand in ODIs.
Are we?

Well, don't we have to perform at their soil too?
Old February 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of pulling off wins in SL - they have a good ODI unit and they have MUCH better swing bowlers. That said, the BD batsmen are way better now, and spin attack is probably on par with SL's. So that might make things much harder for SL. Lets see.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Are we?

Well, don't we have to perform at their soil too?
Well didn't we beat them in a series at home? If we can beat them in their soil as well then doesn't it put us ahead of them?

I'm not trying to sound cocky or over confident but we have reached NZ and WI level in ODI's. In tests, it's a different story since we have to start winning matches before we can compare ourselves with anyone else.

Tiger Manc wrote a great article comparing us with WI and NZ. Record wise over the last few years, we're very comparable with them.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Not really, no. Aus at home is one of the toughest teams to beat. Although I would say on turning/slow pitches BD are better, but not by much. And I would expect NZ to do MUCH better in BD this time. They just beat SA at home.

Taylor's back, Ronchi won't be around much IMO - he's already 30+. Same with Dan, who's near the end of his career.
ronchi is 31 so could be around for another 5 or so years. dan is closer to the end of his career but being 34 and a spinner he could play for another 3+years. in the long run BD is on track as the team is younger.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Self proclaimed righteousness wouldn't help our youngsters to excel in the long run. Granted, we can beat New Zealand and West Indies more often then ever before, but we need more consistency and temperament to claim anything outrageous.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglababu
Self proclaimed righteousness wouldn't help our youngsters to excel in the long run. Granted, we can beat New Zealand and West Indies more often then ever before, but we need more consistency and temperament to claim anything outrageous.
Being better than s*** poor test/ odi teams like West Indies is not being self righteous. We have clearly been better than those guys in Odi's in last couple of years. WI haven't done jack in recent years in Odi's/ tests, if our capability is in question then why are they deemed to be so much better? It's about time we stop being losers and demand fairness from so called critics.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
Cricket Guru

This is an appropriate article for this thread

http://banglacricket.com/html/featur...e.php?item=567
Old February 10, 2013, 11:21 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Being better than s*** poor test/ odi teams like West Indies is not being self righteous. We have clearly been better than those guys in Odi's in last couple of years. WI haven't done jack in recent years in Odi's/ tests, if our capability is in question then why are they deemed to be so much better? It's about time we stop being losers and demand fairness from so called critics.
What are you smoking? They beat us comfortably in Test in our home soil by 10 wkts and by 77 runs. Prior to that they beat NZ in a Test series and in between won the T-20 WC

They are severely weakened but still they have the bowlers to take 20 wkts, we don't!
Old February 10, 2013, 11:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
What are you smoking? They beat us comfortably in Test in our home soil by 10 wkts and by 77 runs. Prior to that they beat NZ in a Test series and in between won the T-20 WC

They are severely weakened but still they have the bowlers to take 20 wkts, we don't!
77 runs is not a big win by any means in a test match. And this about odi's where we beat them. The only team they beat in a series is NZ. There's a reason they are right at the bottom with us and NZ.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:30 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
77 runs is not a big win by any means in a test match. And this about odi's where we beat them. The only team they beat in a series is NZ. There's a reason they are right at the bottom with us and NZ.
So now you are backtracking your earlier comments lol
You said they have done jack in terms of ODIS and TESTs not ODIs only. If you consider beating us comfortably as nothing in Tests than it's more of an insult to us than them. They are still winning test matches even if not against the top sides. We have struggled to beat Zimbabwe on our away series.

Your question was also why are they rated much higher than us by critics. It is because Test cricket is the ultimate measure of how good sides are for pundits and West Indies have a great history and also produced legends of the game. They are on the decline now but they will always be rated higher than us until we have a bowling attack that can take 20 wkts in a Test match.

Before we can crash talk lets win a major ICC trophy in any format shall we?
Old February 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Jotodin porjonto amra ekta bhalo pace bowling attack pabo kokhonoi amra NZ ar WI er cheye bhalo hote parbo na. Shudhu spin bowling diye kisu hobe na.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
And I would expect NZ to do MUCH better in BD this time. They just beat SA at home.

We throttled a better NZ with Taylor, Vettori, Southee, and Ryder who's been out of the side for a while now. 2 of the games were blow outs. The NZ side that won in SA was much weaker than the one that was swept 4-0 in 2010. That side ended up in the WC semis just a few months later. You have to remember that SA don't take ODIs very seriously - probably why they choke every WC - and their only decent bowler in the format Morkel only played 1 game in that series. NZ will find it tougher to face spin in Bangladesh than extreme pace in SA. On top of that, out of the trio of BD, NZ, WI...its actually BD that has the best record against G8 sides in the past couple of years.

That being said, I too expect NZ to be a much tougher opponent come October-November. I hope we can get another 5 match ODI series if not 3 Tests. If so, then I expect a 3-2 or 4-1 win to BD this time around.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 11, 2013, 12:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Oh, and I wouldn't dream of pulling off wins in SL - they have a good ODI unit and they have MUCH better swing bowlers. That said, the BD batsmen are way better now, and spin attack is probably on par with SL's. So that might make things much harder for SL. Lets see.
Are we talking ODIs or Tests? I assume ODIs. In ODIs our pace attack is a typical non-Pakistani Asian attack: unassuming, not quick, but gets the job done. I'd rate it better than SL's pace attack, especially if Malinga is neutralized. In ODIs our spin attack may or may not be better. In Tests, its obvious that SL is leagues better cuz Herath alone has more wickets than our entire bowling lineup put together.

That being said, I expect to really push the Lankans in SL, possibly even entertain an outside shot at winning the ODI series, and I'd expect us to be on par at home. Call me a bit bullish.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 11, 2013, 01:34 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Sril Lanka's pace attack is a whole lot better than our pace attack. I would say we can compete in the spin department with our spinners. They have Malinga, Fernando, Mahroof, Kulaesekara, Weledegara and two all rounders Angelo Mathews and Perera. Their attack has swing bowlers, hit the deck bowlers, one of the world's best limited overs bowler along with very handy pace bowling all rounders.

However I still believe we can beat them in the ODI series because our batting is improving fast i wouldn't be surprised if we manage to chase big totals down against them. We don't rely on one or two players in batting anymore and that is a big plus. If we can get Sanga and Jaywardene like we did in Asia Cup through Nazmul's effort, it will be advantage BD
Old February 11, 2013, 02:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Sril Lanka's pace attack is a whole lot better than our pace attack. I would say we can compete in the spin department with our spinners. They have Malinga, Fernando, Mahroof, Kulaesekara, Weledegara and two all rounders Angelo Mathews and Perera. Their attack has swing bowlers, hit the deck bowlers, one of the world's best limited overs bowler along with very handy pace bowling all rounders.

However I still believe we can beat them in the ODI series because our batting is improving fast i wouldn't be surprised if we manage to chase big totals down against them. We don't rely on one or two players in batting anymore and that is a big plus. If we can get Sanga and Jaywardene like we did in Asia Cup through Nazmul's effort, it will be advantage BD
i'd say we are currently ahead of SL in the spin department in tests and ODIs.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

I think we are threat to anyone in odi and t20 but in test we are still in learning stage.