facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion
Default Will/Should Shakib remain as captain?

I think it will be disastrous if we change the capataincy right now.He's been through the highest, and gone thru the lowest. He is finally learning how tough international cricket is, and not only that, in the past couple of years, after experiencing SO MUCH, this guy will know exactly what are the things to do for us to reach that level we always were aspiring for......Let him be in it....u see a sense of responsibilty in him whenever he comes out to field, previusly he was too candid, and sometimes, used to try to absolve himself of all crimes, but now he is accepting the truths, and calming down. He will lead us to glory, no doubt about it......let him conitnue.....and i am sure we will be entering the most exciting phase in our cricket history

Old March 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

I think his captaincy was good throughout the WC, his form wasn't as good as he'd have liked but I'd blame the whole team who other than shafiul and Imrul and razzak on occasions were quite poor
Old March 20, 2011, 12:02 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Well his performance Is affected. Putting an offspinner against left handers and setting moderate fields is no rocket science. He did a great job but it's not worth sacrificing his performance. I hope he improves or we will have to think a long term solution. Maybe Mashrafe for ODI and Shakib for tests

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 20, 2011, 12:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Shakib as a captain gets enough credit but I think the norm of appointing a subordinate vice captain is unnecessary. It is a learning process as the VC may take over as captain whenever needed such as in case of injury but selection is crucial as not everyone can handle the pressure specially on big occassions.

Shakib has a lot of cricket left for him, I see at least 15 more years and he will have his share of ups and downs but right now no one is more capable to do this. Captaincy is not something about confidence it includes making strategic decisions during game time which I find no other player more prudent to decide than him.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yes he should. I don't know if he will, but he's the best you have.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sakib should go for his own good sake.
This captaincy would suck the life out of him and we would lose Sakib the Allrounder.
Thats too much pressure for a player to take.

He should only focus on his batting/bowling.
Let someone else handle the pressure and the media.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Cricket Guru

I agree with Rabz that, in the current mode, Shakib will be sucked out of life pretty soon. However, I don't think the effective solution will be to change the captain, the effective solution will be to change the team management. We need a coach who will have better defined roles for each player in the team and tell them clearly what's his expectations from each. We need a media manager and team manager who will handle the media such way that the media won't be able to hunt Shakib down for every decision that he makes on the field. It will be also a good idea not to let him have a strong say in the selection process (so that things like Mashrafe controversy does not happen again, or that his fellow players don't have to live in fear of him) though his input should be taken for the purpose. Overall, Shakib's role should be limited as the on-field captain only.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Sakib should go for his own good sake.
This captaincy would suck the life out of him and we would lose Sakib the Allrounder.
Thats too much pressure for a player to take.

He should only focus on his batting/bowling.
Let someone else handle the pressure and the media.
i dont think so Rabz, he had the balls of steel to inspire a Bangladesh comeback by restricting eng to 225, i think any other captain in our history on that day would have succummbed to pressure, considering what was going thru in the country after windies debvacle...he is a MAN, unlike like the minors in our team, and he HAS IT IN him to fight it out and come with flying colors!
Old March 20, 2011, 01:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Shakib should stay, he is by far the best BD captain if we had so far.
Old March 20, 2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Well I don't see anyone else is as good enough as Shakib. BD didn't lose because of Shakib, ppl need to understand this. Switching Captains based on emotions will bring long-term harm to Bangladesh cricket. Need for the hour is to find more match winners like Shakib.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old March 20, 2011, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Shakib is a good captain. But Mash should take the responsibility letting Shakib focus on his game. The ego thing between Mash and Shakib should be resolved. The departure of Siddons will help this matter.
Old March 20, 2011, 02:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
Well I don't see anyone else is as good enough as Shakib. BD didn't lose because of Shakib, ppl need to understand this. Switching Captains based on emotions will bring long-term harm to Bangladesh cricket. Need for the hour is to find more match winners like Shakib.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
It is beyond a joke now...

We get Bangladeshis living overseas lecturing people about how horrible and stupid those living in Bangladesh are because 80% of the population align themselves with two political figureheads, yet we see the same thing on here on this very forum...

You're either a Shakib fan, or you're a Mashrafe fan, and he will apparently rise like the Phoenix and make Bangladesh winners again.

Whereas the fact remains, whoever the captain maybe, they will continue to lead a group of substandard players.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:24 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
It is beyond a joke now...

We get Bangladeshis living overseas lecturing people about how horrible and stupid those living in Bangladesh are because 80% of the population align themselves with two political figureheads, yet we see the same thing on here on this very forum...

You're either a Shakib fan, or you're a Mashrafe fan, and he will apparently rise like the Phoenix and make Bangladesh winners again.

Whereas the fact remains, whoever the captain maybe, they will continue to lead a group of substandard players.
I am not siding with Shakib just saying Bangladesh should with a single captain and vice captain for long period of time.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Ash

Sakib should go now, cuz he made us proud twice. Some people might say he played better than other against SF but that didnt help us, we still scored less than 100. As a middle order batsman he couldnt play long innings at the crucial time and left the field before the last batsman, Naem. Now I rate Bangladesh performance in WC is very poor. Win against IRL and NED is nothing special. We should hav won more comfortably. And after yesterday match I think the match against ENG was a pure upset. The guy who cant hold a bat won us a match. I dont think Safiul can ever make that much runs against any top ODI teams. So overall Sakib failed to motivate the team for success. After this kind of performance no cricket board will keep their captain and coaches for the sake of future improvements or maybe some more shocking defeats coming against AUS. So its the time for a change. If no Mash or Ash then they can think about Naem.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Shakib should remain as captain till Next world Cup and build the team with good players.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
I am not siding with Shakib just saying Bangladesh should with a single captain and vice captain for long period of time.
Neither am I, that's why I said, regardless of the captain, the weapons at his disposal will be the same...so why the clamour for a change, unless he has done made obvious mistakes.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Nope he doesn't have the overall mentality of a captain. I could elaborate further but not in the mood. As has been mentioned yes he didn't mess up on the field but his captaincy wasn't brilliant either. Off the field he was a disaster. I think both Tamim and Shakib should be removed from leadership positions and be kept away until they firmly establish themselves as world-class players. I would suggest Imrul as captain a la Darren Sammy but the question is whether like Gayle, will Shakib and Tamim support such a move? Or will pride and spite get the better of them?
Old March 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

he is the best option we hv & he is doing reasonnably well.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

no,i don't want to see him as the captain but right now he's the only option.i wish riyad was in super form,he could have been the captain
Old March 20, 2011, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

This reminds me of Gulliver in Lilliput land. Shakib has the cricketing IQ far superior to any cricketing mind Bangladesh has ever produced. When you have one computer and a thousand calculators, you just shut up and let the computer lead you wherever it wants to.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: M'Dulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
ego thing between Mash and Shakib should be resolved. The departure of Siddons will help this matter.
Yes sir absolutely! So will world hunger, anything else solved by Sid's impending departure?
Old March 20, 2011, 09:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
This reminds me of Gulliver in Lilliput land. Shakib has the cricketing IQ far superior to any cricketing mind Bangladesh has ever produced. When you have one computer and a thousand calculators, you just shut up and let the computer lead you wherever it wants to.
The culture in bangladesh is that, if someone is clearly better than you, keep them down and try to sabotage whatever they have, from so called civil society to the remote villages. So I haven't been overly surprised by the Abahoni cronies that are constantly trying to wind up Shakib.

If Shakib is captain, the team must be his, so he must have a huge say in the selection. Otherwise make someone else the captain.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Nope he doesn't have the overall mentality of a captain. I could elaborate further but not in the mood. As has been mentioned yes he didn't mess up on the field but his captaincy wasn't brilliant either. Off the field he was a disaster. I think both Tamim and Shakib should be removed from leadership positions and be kept away until they firmly establish themselves as world-class players. I would suggest Imrul as captain a la Darren Sammy but the question is whether like Gayle, will Shakib and Tamim support such a move? Or will pride and spite get the better of them?
Imrul Kayes as captain? . . that says it all!
Old March 20, 2011, 10:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

shakib shud stay captain. but if he wants break from captaincy, so be it. mashrafee can take over. but we will always know, that their is a potential great captain waiting if sth is to happen.

odi and test er jonno different captain deowa thik hobe na.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old March 20, 2011, 10:30 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Shakib should stay as captain..WC was too much pressure for him,he usually plays well as a captain
if we can retain him as a captain for 4 more years and in 2015 he'll be more mature because of age then i think he'll handle the WC pressure more better..

if u say he is struggling to find form as captain plz see the past series..the only failed in this WC and the pressure was immense

but that doesn't cut him a slack cos he is an professional cricketer and should have handled the pressure