facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Anamul Haque and Others

The more I watch and discover there are talented players dotted across BD the more I am beginning to realise there needs to be more transparency over who gets an opportunity.

The latest example being 18 year-old Anamul Haque.

I am not just mentioning him due to his latest first-class 100, but also for the 5 catches behind the stumps and the fact he is a talented keeper, plus of course his superb 169 in April against the South Africans.

Once again, as with Saqlain Sajib, we have a talented player not flagged up or mentioned by the previous administration. "there is no one outside of the squad of 15 we have, worth looking at", was what was being said.

I am certain there are some really talented players who for a whole variety of reasons, are not being looked at. My suggestion is that someone sits down with the clubs and identifies who these players are. Then host some workshops and camps at Mirpur, where the national coaches can do testing and monitoring: fitness, skill levels, mental strength, etc... that way the coaching staff (bowling, batting, Grant, Julien and whoever else) get to actually SEE and MEET the talented players (not just the academy coaches and 'A' coaches). This means we would have a handle on who is who and who can do what.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I feel it makes sense to be open minded about selection of future players and not be guided by prejudice, favouritism and history. An amnesty is required if you like: a clean sheet wiped so everyone can be put into some sort of order.

We would not need this if we already had a system in place that worked perfectly.

I feel the new head coach, along with the new academy director, has to grab this by the scruff of the neck. This will also make the national selectors job a great deal easier too, when key players and back up players are identified and correctly and fairly assessed.

It would certainly be a start and whilst not perfect, does allow for an open door policy rather than one that appears to be a closed shop at times.

Anamul Haque's situation is evolving as he is young. He has made a highly promising start. But we all know one or two innings doesn't mean much. However, it does at least show he has SOMETHING and players who perform well should come to the attention of coaches so they can get assistance and opportunities up the food chain.

Going forward for BD cricket I feel all the pieces are there. It just needs someone to lead it forward and implement policies that with further the development of both first class and the national game. Because a strong domestic competition is desirable for a strong national side.

Make everything fair and then the players can know that if they perform they will get the chance at some stage. This also sends the message that those IN the national team who are not cutting it, can be replaced by those who deserve that chance.

Ultimately, BD needs a squad of committed and hungry for success players, who will stop at nothing to improve themselves and the results of the team.

Old May 13, 2011, 03:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
"there is no one outside of the squad of 15 we have, worth looking at", was what was being said.
How can they even say that??? This is so demoralizing for any upcoming talent.

And you are spot on every point.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
How can they even say that??? This is so demoralizing for any upcoming talent.

And you are spot on every point.
"They" did say that. It was Jamie.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
for Jamie there are Tamim and Shakib , and nothing .

you right mr Pont , there are talented player in BD but dirty politics don't give them a chance ,
Old May 13, 2011, 03:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

spot on about everything. it's not just the coach, the entire system of bd cricket is so corrupt and lazy that i am afraid if it continues to be like this, we will never be amongst the top sides in the world
Old May 13, 2011, 03:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Oh I can think why Jamie said that. In 2007, when Jamie first came to BD team had a few talented but already spoiled cricketers (AAA). And after the ICL exodus he got to work with relatively less talented but hardworking guys like M'ullah, Nayeem, Huzur etc. And with some hard work he did stabilize the team after a year or so(Specially the batting order which was hurt badly). And being a person with a defensive mindset he took it as granted that there is no talent to fast track to the international arena(The poor domestic league didn't help to change his mindset either.) That's why he was so persistent with Rock and Co. even in T20.

That's my personal idea. Anyone can defer.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

There isn't any transparency in player selection in BD.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

The Bcb is full of politicians they dont understand cricket themselves that's another issues
Old May 13, 2011, 06:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

SIMPLE and excellent!

But the implementation of the idea for a coach is not easy. He has to face numerous issues with powerful people at different levels - inside and outside the BCB-, including being innovative and doing extra work. This involves extra risk for the coach's job as well. If you are in the good book of influential people at the BCB and go safe by manipulating statistics, most often you do not take risk for 'other' people's (bangladesh cricket, in this case) sake. An intelligent coach with self-confidence and passion and 'respect' for the team can take that risk.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Oh I can think why Jamie said that. In 2007, when Jamie first came to BD team had a few talented but already spoiled cricketers (AAA). And after the ICL exodus he got to work with relatively less talented but hardworking guys like M'ullah, Nayeem, Huzur etc. And with some hard work he did stabilize the team after a year or so(Specially the batting order which was hurt badly). And being a person with a defensive mindset he took it as granted that there is no talent to fast track to the international arena(The poor domestic league didn't help to change his mindset either.) That's why he was so persistent with Rock and Co. even in T20.

That's my personal idea. Anyone can defer.
I, quite co-incidentally, have the same idea regarding that Mukib bhai!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 13, 2011, 06:26 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Im sick of these type of talent... We need player with attitude...and its bcbs responsibility to take care of this talented player its not the job of national team coach..anyway..good analysis..
Old May 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

another jamie quote: "everyone knows what to do, but no one does it"

i think the nail has been hit on the head with words long enuf. but no action has ever followed.

if only our own administration had the same passion and interest as some of our foriegn friends.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Thank you Ian
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 13, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

coach we had these kind of players who would play superve for one or more season and then when they get chance will not do anything. I support what jamie said. we needed to pick 15 and stick with them while others grow around them. look at our history we have given players test cap in 10 years then any other country and how many have last. we just can't pick and try depending on 1/2 years of form. this guy is young 19/20 let him play for another 5 and then bring him to the ntl team. instead we change players like we change our shirts. the 15 jemie said was the best when they got picked so we had to make the best. we tried the other way and it just doesn't work in our culture. In our country if players become famous (that means getting into the ntl team not even scoring) they think they have done it and start lacking.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old May 13, 2011, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
coach we had these kind of players who would play superve for one or more season and then when they get chance will not do anything. I support what jamie said. we needed to pick 15 and stick with them while others grow around them. look at our history we have given players test cap in 10 years then any other country and how many have last. we just can't pick and try depending on 1/2 years of form. this guy is young 19/20 let him play for another 5 and then bring him to the ntl team. instead we change players like we change our shirts. the 15 jemie said was the best when they got picked so we had to make the best. we tried the other way and it just doesn't work in our culture. In our country if players become famous (that means getting into the ntl team not even scoring) they think they have done it and start lacking.
So, it is assured/assumed that those outside the national team will play superbly only for one or two seasons and therefore, they should not be considered for national selection; but those in the national team will continue performing and/or their non performance must be tolerated for 4 or 8 years. And then the blame goes to our 'culture', because once a player becomes famous, he starts lacking in his sports-related matter because of being ill-cultured. (And even though, he starts lacking, we must persist with him for 4 to 8 years and again at the end of that period culture will rescue us taking all the blames on its shoulder). Sounds a bit strange, doesn't it?
Old May 13, 2011, 01:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

we have to find out why the players who were touted as the best can't prosper. i am not saying to keep a player if he scores 10 all the time but we have to bite our toung as we don't have stars and let the other players grow in 1st class. we don't want to take the pain and always trying for glowry and hence in this position even after ten years.

btw I thought mehrab played superve too and played a chance less innings. even anamul said he was the reason for him to play big but we r jumping only for anamul where as we should first consider mehrab first.

but i do think what ian said about grooming them properly but we should not fast track them to ntl team.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old May 13, 2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

just waiting for the days for players like shuvagoto, anamul, sabbir, nasir to be regulars in our team
Old May 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

He is a good young prospect. That said, an 18 yr old is just that - a prospect. We have seen many young guys get called up prematurely only to suffer from that and never heard from again. So, lets be patient and monitor him as he progresses up through the ranks. He is someone to keep an eye on, for sure.

So, our Rahim apparently flubbed the chance to run him out when both Anamul and Mehrab were stranded at one end. He couldn't gather the throw from cover, letting Anamul escape from a sure runout. I have seen that horror film before.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Excellent read Coach Pont!! With you 100%!

Anamul aka Animal Hauque(as our Nad Nadim98 would say) is my man!
If I am not mistaken, It was a couple of years back, it was him Anamul on a tour with the BD Under-19 in England where he stumped an English Under-19 batsman in full flying mode after catching an almost wide ball he flew back into the stumps....and the English Commentrators were really thrilled by this and prasing him big time and they were showing it on TV, the replay again and again during the match and later on all day long

He is a good batsman in the making too! All the best to our Anamul!

Last edited by bujhee kom; May 13, 2011 at 03:06 PM..
Old May 13, 2011, 02:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

heres that match highlights where anamul scored a fifty, and then the flying stumping he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2dmwa5fd0
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old May 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

I can't until someone says ''give him a game''... 2 years later ''Axe him''....
Old May 13, 2011, 03:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

I'm getting very impressed by this guy. Mushy better make way especially with his poor keeping skills.

And as for JS... forget about this guy...
Old May 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ohh yeah thank you so much dear Avik bhai!
Old May 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Junaid... The true minnow+Eng+Lost cause Basher...
Old May 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Ian pont is a true Bangla cricket fan and know real talent. i am a big fan of anamul hauque ,sabbir rahman, tasamul hauque and shaker fan since under 19 world cup. Hope BCCB will nurture them well

great article Pont. we BC fan love you