facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 9, 2014, 10:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
lets see what happens after 12th Jan. A wave of mass arrests might be just around the corner.
Unfortunately nothing is going to happen, BNP learders are all fat cats too worry to get arrested, wants Jamat to do the hard work in a quick and dirty way, instead of themsleves doing it the hard and more proper way.

Whether you are BNP supportter or not, almost everybody supported for their cause i.e. fair election under neutral government. That was their opportunity to rise and show real leadership as public was on their side in this issue. But what they did? They let Jamal goons terorising the innocent public .. killing them and burning them... missing the point that they are not their enemy ... publkic is their firend in this issue. BNP leaders are hidiing for the fear of arrest because they will not be able to eat Biriany and watch "Big Boss" in tv.

BNP could have done it in the hard and proper way ... work hard and mobilize the public (they already support your cause) and bring them in the street instead of targetting and killing them (public) in the street.

That's why I don't have much hope that this BNP leadship will be do anything to force AL to a peacefull resolution. Otherwise it's so surprising to see how come AL with so little public support is still carrying on with their one sided unpopular mission.

Old January 9, 2014, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo

One thing that suddenly occurred to me: more than even BKSAL, AL's current moves seem eerily similar to Indira Gandhi's Emergency between 1975 and 1977: A controversial constitutional amendment, elections fraught with electoral fraud , and after widespread violence broke out in its aftermath, the declaration of national emergency by the President, repression of criminal and civil liberties, jailing of thousands of opposition leaders, banning of Jamaat e Islami, etc etc. Very interesting given how Indira was very close to AL and provided shelter to the PM after the assassination of Bangabandhu. I wouldn't be surprised if some of her exile in India overlapped with the Emergency period.
That's a good observation. I was always wondering what AL's end game is? hasina's press conference after the election, revealed how happy she is with the result of the election.
Old January 9, 2014, 12:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
The intellectuals, most of them, do not tend to chase money or power in that sense. And I agree with you that Dr. Yunus' had the best opportunity. Two begums in jail, he is wildly popular after just winning nobel price, general public eager for change, and military by side. I still don't know why he failed.
Who knows what happends behind the screen. However few things below (that I came up with) may have some impact:

- While other parties were banned to do any political activity, he was allowed to do so, And that may have rubbed a section of people in a wrong way. This is in top of the rumor that 1/11 planners requested him to lead and he thought about it but then refused.

- In USA you can guess a candidate's strength by how much more money they collected for campaign. Similarly to win in Bangladesh you need to get muscles in your party, you cannot win big nationally without that muscle power. So the choice for him: will I be diffeent but lose the election or will like be like them (our regular politicians) and win the election.

- Allegation by some that he may be an agent of special group (external force outside Bangladesh). Again the choice to him is do I take that risk and fight a really diffecult fight and lose all (dignity and election) or keep my dignity and move on with my life.

I think he may have miscalculated and didn't relaized that it was already too late... by that time he may already created an Enemy... i.e Hasina. If he know what he know now, may be he would take that risk and try his luck.
Old January 9, 2014, 10:57 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

there are no heroes that will save us from this mess. If there were, we would see them by now. For me the best bet is to put our faith and support in this current government even if it means the opposition will be wiped out. The opposition chose a violent route and as a result the economy is collapsing with the onslaught of blockades while innocent people are being petrol bombed. We need to overcome this situation first and foremost and if that means the use of force then so be it. AL's corruption and dictatorial tendencies are hard to digest but it is not as if BNP would do any better if they come into power. We need an end game.
Old January 10, 2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
there are no heroes that will save us from this mess. If there were, we would see them by now. For me the best bet is to put our faith and support in this current government even if it means the opposition will be wiped out. The opposition chose a violent route and as a result the economy is collapsing with the onslaught of blockades while innocent people are being petrol bombed. We need to overcome this situation first and foremost and if that means the use of force then so be it. AL's corruption and dictatorial tendencies are hard to digest but it is not as if BNP would do any better if they come into power. We need an end game.
If we support this new govt. led by BAL, BAL will think they are untouchable and will do whatever they want, like what they are doing for the past few months.

You are right though on BNP.

So, what is the solution?

>>> Make a "National Front" which will govern the govt. The govt. will form as per mass support, i.e., say BAL has 35%, BNP 30%, BJP 7%; thus, seat will be as below:

BAL = 70
BNP = 60
BJP = 14

Now, the question might be asked, what about Jamat?

I do not have any problem with Jamat as a political party if they sack all the "Rajakars" who were involved with killing and rape from their party and reform their party with new constitution.

The govt. will have representation from different sector, for example, representative from University, News Media, Lawmakers, Business sector, Army etc.

This govt. will govern the country for one year. They will reform the Election Commission, Anti Corruption Commission; Amend the constitution to make sure Justice Department is fee of political influences, making the media free of control etc.

Also, amend the constitution to making sure no one can be selected as party chairman/head for more than 12 years or so. and can be head of state/govt. for 3 terms.

And, this govt. will finish the trial of war-criminals, all political killings from post '71 to date as well.

***I love ATMR's BC is where dreams come true!

Old January 10, 2014, 06:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
BNP could have done it in the hard and proper way ... work hard and mobilize the public (they already support your cause) and bring them in the street instead of targetting and killing them (public) in the street.
Very true, but the govt/police were supposedly not allowing any demonstrations by the opposition
Old January 10, 2014, 09:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Very true, but the govt/police were supposedly not allowing any demonstrations by the opposition

Yes you are right. But it happned before, it happned althrough the 3rd world country before including bangladesh. In Bangladesh we overcame this before, including end of Ershad Era.

Public was In BNP's side in this very particular issue, i.e. free and fair election under neutral govenrment. So what BNP leadership did with that? Their issue was proper, but they completely messed up mobilizing it. Why killing innocent people in the name of hartal when public is already in their side? Why not motivate the real public to particiate in the street demontration and let the AL govement deal with that.

What kind of plan it is by BNP leadership let JAMAT goons do the killing and burning innocent people who are already in their side in this issue? I don't buy those excuses. This is comeplete missed opportunity and wrong strategy by BNP leadership.

I will give another example: We all know Khaleda Zia was/is house arrested whether GOV officially acknowledge it or not. She was not allowed to join the pre-annouced "march for demecracy", she came out of her house and was prevented to go further. This is a perfect opportunity that a leader can expect to shine and take full advantage of it and make sure Gov pay the premium price for her unjustified house arrest. What she did in her press breifing? How you grade her performance? Did she took full advantage of the opportunity or she made herslef a laughing stock?

Arrest for a cause is a badge-of-honor for political leaders, it enhance their resume. Arrest-er bhoye judi leader ra lukiye thake, what kind of leaders are they? If they are afraid of arrest, why public will come to street supporting their cause?

As I said before, I comepletely supported BNP's cause (fair election, in fair environment), but to tell the truth, I am completely disapointed by their plan of action and their lack of leadership.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Very appropriate song by Shayan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07nk84dsRw

The the 3rd option need to come from general public.
Old January 11, 2014, 04:28 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

People talk about AL's endgame but what's BNP's endgame? There are rumours about betrayals and divisions within the party. Is that true? If so, who is playing Brutus? Beyond a caretaker government, what goals do they have for their five year tenure? For instance, they've bitterly criticized the power generation projects undertaken by AL over the past 5 years, whether it is rental power plants, Ramphal or Rooppur, as have members of civil society, sometimes with good reason, and I'd like to hear what agenda they have for this vital sector during their tenure. If through some miracle, elections are held next month in an 'independent' atmosphere, and BNP wins, how do they plan on recouping the World Bank's loan for the Padma Bridge? Given the sweeping changes made to the Constitution during the last AL government, do they have a proposed raft of reforms as well? Etc etc
Old January 13, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
People talk about AL's endgame but what's BNP's endgame? There are rumours about betrayals and divisions within the party. Is that true? If so, who is playing Brutus? Beyond a caretaker government, what goals do they have for their five year tenure? For instance, they've bitterly criticized the power generation projects undertaken by AL over the past 5 years, whether it is rental power plants, Ramphal or Rooppur, as have members of civil society, sometimes with good reason, and I'd like to hear what agenda they have for this vital sector during their tenure. If through some miracle, elections are held next month in an 'independent' atmosphere, and BNP wins, how do they plan on recouping the World Bank's loan for the Padma Bridge? Given the sweeping changes made to the Constitution during the last AL government, do they have a proposed raft of reforms as well? Etc etc
BNP lacks political visions IMHO. Politics became a profitable business in Bangladesh - all "they" want is money and power for themselves. No agenda to improve mass people's life, i.e., education, health etc.

So, basically we are doomed for the time being until our politicians put their country on top above party and individuals.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
For instance, they've bitterly criticized the power generation projects undertaken by AL over the past 5 years, whether it is rental power plants, Ramphal or Rooppur, as have members of civil society, sometimes with good reason, and I'd like to hear what agenda ...
Yes you are right.
They rightfully citisized AL's short term approach to power generation solution. Plus Nuclear power plan from Russia is an automatic warning sign for long term risks.

But as you pointed out, that is not enough for a party who may be the next government. What is their counter plan in these issues? Last time they built all those Khambas with no wires. This time are they planning to lay out wires in this khambas? Will this wires will be connected to the real running generator or not? or we have to wait for one more additional term for the generators?
Old January 13, 2014, 11:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
BNP lacks political visions IMHO. Politics became a profitable business in Bangladesh - all "they" want is money and power for themselves. No agenda to improve mass people's life, i.e., education, health etc.

So, basically we are doomed for the time being until our politicians put their country on top above party and individuals.
I couldn't agree more with "BNP lacks political visions IMHO". To be honest, BNP had many issues and just failed terribly. Instead, they hid behind jamat and became violent. AL now sits of the verge of emasculating BNP.

BNP as a party never stood for anything. They are a reactionary party and has lost the battle this time with AL. But now there is the talk of cutting ties with Jamat. A lot of non AL politicians such as B Chowdhury, Colonel Oli and others will form coalition with BNP as soon as Jamat is gone. I think BNP should do that exactly, renounce violence, and become moderate in nature.

Regarding third party, I think Ershad chacha was a viable alternative to the two evil ladies. Jatiyo party has some popularity and grass root involvement. If chacha was just honest and trustworthy, many people would have chosen him. But he also turned out to be a big batpar.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Anyone who is optimistic is a fool. There is no alternative to BNP/BAL. its like hoping that something will exist that is not night and not day. If it was that easy don't you think the US would found a viable third party in 240 years?

#OneTeam1Dream