facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 23, 2003, 06:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Actually

I want to see some positive cricket. I like the way BD started off last night. They hit the bad balls. The thing is, if we putter along at 1.5 runs an over, we can bat for 90 overs and still only score 135. We need to bat carefully but positively. If they just go out there to defend, they are gonna dig their own graves. England bowlers will strike a rhythm and then we'll get bowled out anyway without scoring too many runs.

I want us to take the fight to the English. Score runs, put 280 on the board and set them some runs to win! It will be too dull to bat the day out and score 150. Lets not forget our best innings in recent times (not the 360 odd against Pak but the 288 against Australia), we only scored that many because we took the fight to the Aussies and played positive cricket. Of course positive cricket doesn't mean silly cricket, like going for expansive drives at everything outside the off stump.

Old October 23, 2003, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by paco
How many balls and minutes for Golla's 60 ? How many fours ?
138 balls, only five 4s, a patient and subdued innings.

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by billah]
Old October 23, 2003, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Good points Sham.

But your example of 135 runs in 90 overs is not something even 11 Gollas would be capable of. A team filled with Basher, Masri, Shujon and Rafiq can't do that even if they try to. We'll have at least 250 just by surviving the day.
Old October 23, 2003, 09:29 PM
Club Cricketer

Sham,
Agree with ur main thrust of argument, I shall say see of the first hour, carefully, let the english spirits go down a bit, then build on that.
Positive cricket as u say doesnt mean going for those ohwowwhatashot! kind of strokes, but also taking singles, rotating the strike and putting the bad balls away etc. Its a huge pity that India, Pakistan dont do it too often.
I hope Bangladesh gets this knack early and work hard at it. Singles are the life blood of an Inninga as SMGavaskar keeps saying.
Old October 24, 2003, 07:52 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default What do you think now - draw or a win?

I say that we have come out with this slogan from Day 4 of the test match:

Quote:
If you do not want it for yourself, for Bangladesh, for the crowd, do it for Ashoka De Silva.
Old October 24, 2003, 09:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Just play on the front foot and straight drive.You see that most of the runs come through 3rd man in the 2nd innings of bd side.Thats mean if there r 2/3 sleeps than English get more adge and easy catch.But the main thing is Bd player could not get more run from off side with ondrive.So they should try more to get more run from that region.And it is more easy to get run of that region.Although there r 2 players standing that region 2 cover 4 and singles.But they should play upper shot for that.No need to do that.Just play straight.No need to make risky shot.

:cool2::cool2::cool2:
Old October 24, 2003, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Great job BD. Almost 250 in less than 100 overs.

Basically the batting strategy should be the same whether we want a draw or win.

Mushfiq must stay not out until the end.

Mushfiq and Shujon has to carefully keep scoring runs. No risky shots.

Rafiq and Masri need to go crazy with sixers.

Enamul Jr. - I have no idea what he can do.
Old October 24, 2003, 12:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default We should go for the win!

WE need to come out firing...put away the bad balls without mercy...put the poms under pressure....
Old October 24, 2003, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

150 is not a good lead. We still have to bat the morning session and score a lead of 250. Which is still acheivable in a One day match (50-60 overs).

A win is very very unlikely. We can try for a draw, but loss is still a high chance.

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Rajputro]
Old October 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont think we will get a 250 lead. And more importantly, we shouldn't need one. This is not a one day wicket, its a fifth day wicket. If our seamers can be disciplined and our spinners can take advantage of the rough caused by the bowlers footmarks, there is no reason why we can't get them out for less than 200.

If we were playing Australia, we would need atleast 250, just because the Aussies would go for it. But if we can get a lead of 200 and get a couple of early wickets, England is going to play out for the draw. We have nothing to lose and they have everything to lose. They dont want to be the first side to lose to Bangladesh. The pressure is on them.

A crumbling fifth day pitch, some good bowling by the BD bowlers and a good deal of pressure on the Englishmen to avoid defeat should combine to make this Bangladesh's day! I hope.
Old October 24, 2003, 02:59 PM
Banned

The pressure is definintely on England. After all, they are not playing for a draw, at least, not yet. They want the early breakthrough. England also would like to restrict the leat below the 200 mark. All these are within reach. If that happens, they will sure go for it. As for us, if we do well in the morning session, in the least, we are enforcing a draw. I'll tell you, a draw would suite me much better than a valiant defeat. All the pressure is on England, no doubt. The chances for us losing is still high.
Old October 24, 2003, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Considering there's 101 overs tomorrow due to bad light...that means if Bangladesh bats until lunch and hits another 120 then England would have to chace 230-240 in two sessions in the fourth innings. Almost impossible and while trying to slog away might get bowled out...I'm not becoming DOORBIN i hope
Old October 24, 2003, 04:11 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Getting another 120 is hard Although I would love to see that... I expect another 60-80 runs being scored tomorrow... However another 120 runs doesnt sound that impossible come to think of it. If Masri and Rafiq just come out all guns blazing for a late flurry of runs things might just turn nicely... But we cant count on that... It will be a bonus if that happens and at the same time its not unlikely either... way too much maybes for the final day.... I am just too excited... I guess I just have to calm down a bit... But it kinda seems that the match will be a draw... a well played draw on bangladesh's part... another 100 runs will definitely make things difficult for the english batsmen...

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by radicalsami]
Old October 24, 2003, 04:16 PM
Banned

bangladesh should try to get a lead of over 200 and try to bat at least half of the morning session. this would have england in two minds. im sure england would not want to risk losing quick wickets in order to chase the total. just hope it rains for while too.
Old October 24, 2003, 04:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Please no more rain..

let us win or draw without any help...
we don't anyone saying we managed it just coz of the rain....we have fought so far in the match...its only fitting that we either make it or go down fighting...
Old October 24, 2003, 04:19 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

I double that pompous... Pls NO RAIN...
Old October 24, 2003, 04:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

there's much work to be done yet. Let's not forget thresco's form, and of course Mr. Thorpe. Anything short of 200 will be piece of cake for England
Old October 24, 2003, 05:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Default bravo hannan, bashar, and musfiq

nice show by three of them...but loosing 6 wkts...may have to make us wait for a draw/win till next tour in future ....we are almost there...but media has to shut up (e.g. cricketnext, and other sites bashing us in all ariticle about our 25 loses...plz media ppl you don't have to mention the amount of looses we had...thanks) ...lets wish for a good fight
Old October 24, 2003, 06:52 PM
Cricket Legend

whatever our final lead is, it should be enticing enough so england can go for it (and fail) but at the same time secure enough so we don't lose the match. the most IMPORTANT thing is to NOT LOSE again, even more than the win. We have to break the cycle of defeats and having come this close, and with 4 wickets in hand, Bangladesh have a chance to dictate what will happen tomorrow.

That was not the case at Multan, where we were not in a position to draw - it was either win or lose.

I would like to see some smart running between wickets and controlled agression to get to 300, after that we need to blast runs as quickly as possible, even if it means getting out. If we come out blasting, we will lose the remaining 4 wickets for another 25 runs and england may win by tea.

sham I am not as confident as you. Bangladesh have choked before and don't yet know how to win a close one. We will know tomorrow how far they have truly come, as they have to deal with all aspects of winning on the 5th day - the batting strategy, the run rate, when to end the innings, how much room to give england, and the decision on the night of the 4th on whether to go for it or not.
Old October 24, 2003, 11:47 PM
Banned

Boy....I'm Psychotic....I mean... I mean.. I'm Psychic. Hate it when I'm so on the money with predictions.