facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 23, 2011, 02:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Why are we brining in Ian Pont into commenting about what Lawson said or assessed? Ian is a well wisher for Bangladesh cricket and no reason to drag him into the controversy.. Once upon a time, Viv Richards called Alok Kapali a true gem, other great players called him a rare talented player, Steve Waugh was impressed by Hannan Sharker, Rajin surprised many Guru during his Pakistan Test.. do we go back and for their comments now?

Ian mentioend time and time again that Rubel and Shafiul needs many time to master their art. Heck, they wnt even try that butterfly ball that they taught him because they were afraid to get blasted... So Lawson validates that theory. He mentions that Rubel needs time and has to work on his actions... He wasnt really really impressed with any player to single out a Mohammed Amer or Kamer Roach.. and thats what it is. Heck even India couldnt find their next Kapil Dev or even Zahir Khan yet.

True fast bowlers of Waquar Yunus, Ian Botham, Glen McGrath, Wasim Akram, Malcom Marshall are born once in every other decades,, Some of us are fortunate to seee players like Wasim or Waqar bowl ( specially at Dhaka stadium) but the fact is, there are no genuine legendary pace bowlers in making right now in any international team. The closest one I couldve thought of was Lasith Malinga or Dale Styen but I dont think they will become likes of Wasim or Andy Roberts due to their injuries and T20 wear outs..

The fact that none of our Academy players impressed Lawson that much is not news to me because no other Academy has such talent right now unless we see few in the upcoming U19 world cup

Old July 23, 2011, 02:31 AM
Cricket Legend

That's true Rubel is not impressive at all . He gives away too many runs...Although we got so many good batsman But tbh so far our country never produced a single bowler like Mash
Old July 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Actually these words are encouraging. When you find coaches talking about such mistakes, its easily understandable that they care.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old July 23, 2011, 04:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
You didn't see that delivery that got rid of grame smith in South Africa. He was breathing fire in his first spell in that test match. You too would have fell in love with him if you saw him that time.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Rajib is incredibly frustrating. He will bowl piles and stinking piles of crap, and then take 5-71 on the first day against the best batting side of his era.

243 all out, batting first. Coulda shoulda woulda.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikss
so far our country never produced a single bowler like Mash
We already produced a Mash lol...
Old July 23, 2011, 05:04 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

I don't think it is news to discover Rubel is "half fit" as during my entire time with Bangladesh there was always a question over whether he was carrying an injury or not, or whether he was fully prepared to play every match or not. That's because he is one of those guys who gives you that impression. Some bowlers cannot wait to get their boots on and bowl quick - others, like Rubel, are what I call 'reluctant heroes'. The thing is, on his day Rubel can be an exceptional bowler.

With regard to the 'Lawson Report' well just think that Geoff has had the luxury I never had - working for a whole month with a group of players, unbroken by a series, first class cricket matches or world cup preparation. As I identified during my 6 months there was much work to be done with the national bowlers. All we could do was tidy things up a bit and not make massive changes. It is indeed a shame that Shahadat is injured otherwise I am certain he would have impressed.

The reflection of the talent is a reflection of the coaching. With the right help and support, players can be brought through. The snapshot of ability across those attending is not a shock is it? In Australia and England there are multi-level coaching structures and professional support all the way down. It would have been a massive surprise if any visiting coach actually said that the Bangladesh set up is producing fast bowlers. So I am not quite sure what else Geoff could have said.

The secret, of course as we all know, is to give those fast bowlers access to great technical and tactical support and make the self-learners and self-sufficient. This means bringing in highly knowledgeable coaches to deliver at a variety of levels. I am unsure there are too many such fast bowling coaches who can do that.

Desire is a massive issue. The desire to want to bowl fast REGARDLESS of the pitch conditions. Learning how to hold to simply hold the ball to swing it either way (as we did with Shafiul) brings quick wins for the bowler and the team. But the underlying actions are the things that help create outstanding outcomes and it is in this area that work and investment of time and money should take place.

It is not as simple as a 'tweak here' and a 'lower or higher arm' there though. As with Haryana Cricket and myself recently, the need is for fundamental pace bowling tuition to identify and then teach potential prospects how to bowl fast and accurately. A whole hearted approach to genuine quick bowling is what is needed. Yes pitches can help, and yes wrist positions can help with swing, but to make fast bowlers for Bangladesh is something quite different. And that requires a Haryana approach.
Old July 23, 2011, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I don't think it is news to discover Rubel is "half fit" as during my entire time with Bangladesh there was always a question over whether he was carrying an injury or not, or whether he was fully prepared to play every match or not. That's because he is one of those guys who gives you that impression. Some bowlers cannot wait to get their boots on and bowl quick - others, like Rubel, are what I call 'reluctant heroes'. The thing is, on his day Rubel can be an exceptional bowler.

With regard to the 'Lawson Report' well just think that Geoff has had the luxury I never had - working for a whole month with a group of players, unbroken by a series, first class cricket matches or world cup preparation. As I identified during my 6 months there was much work to be done with the national bowlers. All we could do was tidy things up a bit and not make massive changes. It is indeed a shame that Shahadat is injured otherwise I am certain he would have impressed.

The reflection of the talent is a reflection of the coaching. With the right help and support, players can be brought through. The snapshot of ability across those attending is not a shock is it? In Australia and England there are multi-level coaching structures and professional support all the way down. It would have been a massive surprise if any visiting coach actually said that the Bangladesh set up is producing fast bowlers. So I am not quite sure what else Geoff could have said.

The secret, of course as we all know, is to give those fast bowlers access to great technical and tactical support and make the self-learners and self-sufficient. This means bringing in highly knowledgeable coaches to deliver at a variety of levels. I am unsure there are too many such fast bowling coaches who can do that.

Desire is a massive issue. The desire to want to bowl fast REGARDLESS of the pitch conditions. Learning how to hold to simply hold the ball to swing it either way (as we did with Shafiul) brings quick wins for the bowler and the team. But the underlying actions are the things that help create outstanding outcomes and it is in this area that work and investment of time and money should take place.

It is not as simple as a 'tweak here' and a 'lower or higher arm' there though. As with Haryana Cricket and myself recently, the need is for fundamental pace bowling tuition to identify and then teach potential prospects how to bowl fast and accurately. A whole hearted approach to genuine quick bowling is what is needed. Yes pitches can help, and yes wrist positions can help with swing, but to make fast bowlers for Bangladesh is something quite different. And that requires a Haryana approach.
Top post

With Rubel Ian, how did you change his action? Because, his action in the Caribbean was a lot different to as it is now...
Old July 23, 2011, 05:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

so Coach, are you suggesting that Rubel is not as enthusiastic (read: he's lazier) as he could/should be? i know you really emphasize Shahadat's work ethic and desire. so is Rubel not of that class? what about shafiul? he seems like a hard working cricketer.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 23, 2011, 05:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
Rajib is incredibly frustrating. He will bowl piles and stinking piles of crap, and then take 5-71 on the first day against the best batting side of his era.

243 all out, batting first. Coulda shoulda woulda.
that yorker to Dravid was a beaut!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

what a misleading thread title!
Old July 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
I think BCB should send some players to Ian in England when we dont have any cricket. Even a month camp can benefit our players. Players like Shafi, Shahadat, Nazmul, Rubel, Robiul, Dolar, Babu, Rabbi and Al Amin would greatly benefit from working with Ian just on Bowling and fitness.

i think some private company should contact IAN PONT and open an pace academy in BANGLADESH.

PONT will conduct the academy. he or his nominated trained coaches will coach our pacers in that academy.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Old July 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Worth quoting again.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Why are we brining in Ian Pont into commenting about what Lawson said or assessed? Ian is a well wisher for Bangladesh cricket and no reason to drag him into the controversy.. Once upon a time, Viv Richards called Alok Kapali a true gem, other great players called him a rare talented player, Steve Waugh was impressed by Hannan Sharker, Rajin surprised many Guru during his Pakistan Test.. do we go back and for their comments now?

Ian mentioend time and time again that Rubel and Shafiul needs many time to master their art. Heck, they wnt even try that butterfly ball that they taught him because they were afraid to get blasted... So Lawson validates that theory. He mentions that Rubel needs time and has to work on his actions... He wasnt really really impressed with any player to single out a Mohammed Amer or Kamer Roach.. and thats what it is. Heck even India couldnt find their next Kapil Dev or even Zahir Khan yet.

True fast bowlers of Waquar Yunus, Ian Botham, Glen McGrath, Wasim Akram, Malcom Marshall are born once in every other decades,, Some of us are fortunate to seee players like Wasim or Waqar bowl ( specially at Dhaka stadium) but the fact is, there are no genuine legendary pace bowlers in making right now in any international team. The closest one I couldve thought of was Lasith Malinga or Dale Styen but I dont think they will become likes of Wasim or Andy Roberts due to their injuries and T20 wear outs..

The fact that none of our Academy players impressed Lawson that much is not news to me because no other Academy has such talent right now unless we see few in the upcoming U19 world cup
Top post
Old July 24, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
so Coach, are you suggesting that Rubel is not as enthusiastic (read: he's lazier) as he could/should be? i know you really emphasize Shahadat's work ethic and desire. so is Rubel not of that class? what about shafiul? he seems like a hard working cricketer.
You are putting words into my mouth. Where did I say Rubel was lazy?

Some bowlers LOVE to run in all day and try to bowl fast. Others can simply turn it on when they want. Some never look like they never want to until they are in a match itself.

If I was a young fast bowler, you would have to prise the ball out of my hand to stop me bowling - but that's me. With certain players you need to remind them that practice is vitally important to learning new skills and developing their ability.

I can tell you how dreadful some batsmen can look in nets yet score well in matches. Some batters want to hit 1,000's of cricket balls and will bat all day, whilst others can just hit a few balls and be happy. We are basically all different and we all decide what works best for us.

Most international cricketers I know have incredibly high work ethics because they are professional and want to be world class. Those who make it to the very top certainly have this in common. If a player doesn't I would always look at this area first.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
I think BCB should send some players to Ian in England when we dont have any cricket. Even a month camp can benefit our players. Players like Shafi, Shahadat, Nazmul, Rubel, Robiul, Dolar, Babu, Rabbi and Al Amin would greatly benefit from working with Ian just on Bowling and fitness.

This is an Amazing Idea :like:x2000

This will substantially improve the bowling averages of our players and we might pull of an "upset or two" on more of a consistent basis.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat

This is an Amazing Idea :like:x2000

This will substantially improve the bowling averages of our players and we might pull of an "upset or two" on more of a consistent basis.
We pull of a upset or two now, but if they go to that and improve, we'll go into the match with equal strength on both sides. It has been our pace bowling that tended to let us down, until Ian came... Barring a few batsmen failures..
Old July 24, 2011, 11:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Lawson was a lisenced practising Eye Doctor.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Just to let you all know here I am always available to do this work either here in the UK or out in Bangladesh. I always said this and it was mentioned again when I left on Cricinfo:

Despite deciding not to renew his contract, Pont would like to stay involved with Bangladesh cricket in some capacity so he can help develop the next generation of fast bowlers. "I feel this is a vital ingredient for replicating what Sri Lanka has been able to do, for example, in the same sort of time frame," Pont said. "Developing the pace bowling unit is going to make the Bangladesh cricket far more competitive."

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/508726.html

This was way back in April. It is almost August. I appreciate that Geoff has come in to 'report' back on what needs to be done, but let's get on with doing it. As I said a few basics tweaks isn't going to do it otherwise that would have been done. The work required is technical, bio-mechanical and also bowler awareness. There are not many coaches who can complete this task successfully, and we had already had some uplift in national bowling performances to prove it. I am happy to host players here if they wish to fly back to Bangladesh and get going on the project, if there is a plan to have one.

As I mentioned previously, the Indian market place is opening up as the realisation about needing pace bowlers becomes obvious. I am working through contracts to go and work with teams and players at various levels. We are writing plans and projects for the next 4 years that will then roll out further long term. They will be implemented. Fast bowlers will start to come through in India because I will ensure this happens.

My comments when I left the national bowling post still hold true about coming back to Dhaka for this. I just hope I am still available if the time comes.
Old July 25, 2011, 06:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Ian, I saw your spin cricket magazine, and I was wondering how much it cost's for a subscription..
Old July 25, 2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Ian, I saw your spin cricket magazine, and I was wondering how much it cost's for a subscription..
I don't know..
Old July 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Ian, has anyone from the BCB contacted you in the above regard, or are our great leaders sitting and waiting for God knows whatever it is they wait for?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 25, 2011, 03:31 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

BCB contacting ian?...if this ever happens in the future i'd have a new found respect for BCB...but BCB...u know the rest
Old July 25, 2011, 10:48 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Just to let you all know here I am always available to do this work either here in the UK or out in Bangladesh. I always said this and it was mentioned again when I left on Cricinfo:

Despite deciding not to renew his contract, Pont would like to stay involved with Bangladesh cricket in some capacity so he can help develop the next generation of fast bowlers. "I feel this is a vital ingredient for replicating what Sri Lanka has been able to do, for example, in the same sort of time frame," Pont said. "Developing the pace bowling unit is going to make the Bangladesh cricket far more competitive."

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/508726.html

This was way back in April. It is almost August. I appreciate that Geoff has come in to 'report' back on what needs to be done, but let's get on with doing it. As I said a few basics tweaks isn't going to do it otherwise that would have been done. The work required is technical, bio-mechanical and also bowler awareness. There are not many coaches who can complete this task successfully, and we had already had some uplift in national bowling performances to prove it. I am happy to host players here if they wish to fly back to Bangladesh and get going on the project, if there is a plan to have one.

As I mentioned previously, the Indian market place is opening up as the realisation about needing pace bowlers becomes obvious. I am working through contracts to go and work with teams and players at various levels. We are writing plans and projects for the next 4 years that will then roll out further long term. They will be implemented. Fast bowlers will start to come through in India because I will ensure this happens.

My comments when I left the national bowling post still hold true about coming back to Dhaka for this. I just hope I am still available if the time comes.
Ian, the reason I said that our bowlers should travel to you in England is because the facilities and the condition it self. I always feel the pacers here never get satisfactory result of their delivery because of the surface. In England, they would be able to develop their bowling much better with those excellent bouncy wickets. I think they will also feel confident and get better result for the hard work they put in on every single delivery. Whats more, they will play with local pacers who are usually well developed. And in your own academy, you will have only yourself to listen to so basically you can do whatever you want with the players and there wont be BCB to stop you from experimenting
But sadly i dont think BCB will ever think out of the box or invest on our pacers. Maybe some private club might hire you for short term or any player might individually travel to UK at their own expense to lean and improve. Until than, only us in BC realize what we are missing and what you have to offer for our pacers.