facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I still think it depends on context. The Eng-SL match showed us that on a helpful pitch, a wicket will fall inevitably due to the rough patches and the uneven bounce. In those conditions you can't just stonewall and bat out maidens. On that pitch and against a good bowling attack, it's nigh impossible for any team to bat out 2.5 days. So it's important to play sensibly but to rotate regularly.

But yes, I do agree with the idea of including a few more solid, compact players in the top order. Tamim, Shakib and Nasir have all the flamboyance we need. In tests Mushy and Riyad look solid but often squander starts. Let's see who is in form close to the Zim series.
Ya I agree with this. Bottom line is that you have to bat sensibly. You can bat anyway you like but you have to put up the big scores at the end of the day.

I really liked the way we batted in the 1st Test match against the West Indies last year.

http://http://www.espncricinfo.com/b...ch/531986.html

Of course all the batsmen needed to kick on to big scores, but as we saw here, everyone took their time and focused on building their innings rather then just accelerating. Unfortunately we couldn't replicate this type of batting performance again. If we can bat like this more often, we can start to see more improvement in our Test match batting.

Old April 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Same situation Clarke reprieved of a caught, and Dilshan was not. ONField gave out!

Bishoo getting some ominous turn and bounce.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
Cricket Guru

The WI bowling definitely needs to improve but they still have a pretty threatening bowling lineup. If we want to win Test matches, we're going to have to get more Test match caliber bowlers. We can't just rely on Shakib to get us wickets. Elias Sunny has been a good find and I see him being Shakib's partner in Tests for a long time but our pacers are really weak. Hopefully Rubel, Shafiul, Robiul, and Nazmul continue to improve their test match bowling so that we can take 20 wickets.
Old April 9, 2012, 09:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Height of ICC Inconsistency - both tests without Hotspot, both on-field umpiring calls OUT - Caught.
(In fact both events at ball number 35.1)

SL v ENG test 2
35.1 53.5 mph, Appeal for a catch at slip, given but Dilshan reviews it, turning in from outside off, gets forward and tries to defend, replays are not conclusive, the bat hits the ground and the ball goes off the pads towards slip, there is no definite evidence of an inside edge, Dilshan reviewed it immediately, was there a slight contact with the bat after the ball struck the pad? The replays can't prove anything. There's no Hot Spot. You just can't be definite. England were confident, they went up spontaneously. In the absence of Hot Spot, it's really hard to tell. The third umpire is trying every possible angle. The original decision is upheld. But since the on-field umpire had given it out, the third umpire didn't have conclusive evidence that he didn't hit it! There was no conclusive evidence that he did either! Tricky situation, but a decision's been made and Dilshan has to walk back 104/3

WI v AUS
Bishoo to Clarke, no run, That's a shooter, Clarke is given out caught at the wicket, and he has reviewed it immediately. This ball is a long hop but hardly leaves the ground. This is pitched off. Clarke goes for the cut, Baugh does really well to catch it. Tony Hill thinks and thinks before raising the finger. Clarke immediately makes the T sign. Replays show no deviation, but is that enough under the DRS? I don't think he has edged it, but I don't see enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call. No Hot Spot or Snicko in place. This is where DRS is a bit impotent. Long discussion on. And they have reversed it. West Indies don't like it. They don't see enough evidence to conclusively say the on-field umpire was wrong
Old April 9, 2012, 09:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
The WI bowling definitely needs to improve but they still have a pretty threatening bowling lineup. If we want to win Test matches, we're going to have to get more Test match caliber bowlers. We can't just rely on Shakib to get us wickets. Elias Sunny has been a good find and I see him being Shakib's partner in Tests for a long time but our pacers are really weak. Hopefully Rubel, Shafiul, Robiul, and Nazmul continue to improve their test match bowling so that we can take 20 wickets.
Rubel and Shafiul's injuries might have just set us back a few years - at least in terms of experience and pace. In another thread I saw that Rubel may be laid off for up to 6 months. Which might mean that he misses the Zimbabwe tour

We desperately need replacements....
Old April 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Rubel and Shafiul's injuries might have just set us back a few years - at least in terms of experience and pace. In another thread I saw that Rubel may be laid off for up to 6 months. Which might mean that he misses the Zimbabwe tour

We desperately need replacements....
Yup, there's a chance Rubel will be out for a very long time. So that means we've only got Mash, Nazmul, Shafiul, and Robiul as our pacers. On top of that, Mash is playing only the shorter versions for now and Robiul plays only Tests.

That's why we need to develop the likes of Abul Hasan, Alauddi Babu, Al-Amin Hossain, and Kamrul Islam Rabbi. Have Jurgenson work with them so that when they're needed, they can come in and be as ready as possible. Ideally, they need more time but we really don't have much choice. Abu Jayed and Taskin Ahmed could be looked at as long term options.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
BC Editorial Team

I read in another thread that the selectors are busy scouting out talent at the moment. Would be great to get a piece from Shane Jurgensen about working with Bangladeshi bowlers at the present time. What he thinks of the latest prospects he's seen, etc.

On a general note, seeing this WI v Aus series and the recently concluded SL vs Eng series, has been great as a cricket viewer. When I first started watching cricket, during the 1996 WC, Australia had just started becoming a dominant force and for many years afterward they would win everything, home and abroad. India would win most matches at home.

Nowadays, even if the quality of the cricket isn't always the highest (going from seeing Walsh & Ambrose clear out top orders to seeing Sammy do that is quite a change!), the result of no match is pre-ordained. It's quite gripping.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
I read in another thread that the selectors are busy scouting out talent at the moment. Would be great to get a piece from Shane Jurgensen about working with Bangladeshi bowlers at the present time. What he thinks of the latest prospects he's seen, etc.

On a general note, seeing this WI v Aus series and the recently concluded SL vs Eng series, has been great as a cricket viewer. When I first started watching cricket, during the 1996 WC, Australia had just started becoming a dominant force and for many years afterward they would win everything, home and abroad. India would win most matches at home.

Nowadays, even if the quality of the cricket isn't always the highest (going from seeing Walsh & Ambrose clear out top orders to seeing Sammy do that is quite a change!), the result of no match is pre-ordained. It's quite gripping.
yes well i think alot of BD pacer talent gets lost as well. like emon ahmed, i know he hasn't had great results but he got selected for higher honours, even mash said he's the next big thing i believe, and where is he now? doesn't even get a match domestically. guys like al-amin need to be developed and they need to keep track with guys like emon ahmed also. don't forget guys like dolar mahmud etc. decent enough talent just got to hone it.

now as far as WI pacers go, even after walsh/ambrose they have had talent. guys like reon king and franklyn rose had a good amount of talent, jermaine lawson had a good amount of talent, jerome taylor and fidel edards have a good amount of talent. not to mention kemar roach their current spearhead and the youngsters coming through in jason holder, carlos brathwaite and andre russell.

WI at one time were soo good at developing their fast bowling talent. now they have the same problem as most test nations. BD, india, sri lanka, NZ, zimbabwe are all struggling to develop their pacer talent. WI has the same issue, however i believe WI has a lot more fast bowling talent within their country than most of the test nations that are struggling.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
Cricket Sage

I hope WI will get 100 runs lead. Extend the lead to 300 and declare early on tomorrow, see if they make a game out of it.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Harris is just annoying me now. I know I know - a hero to some, but I want him out!
Old April 10, 2012, 02:56 PM
BC Editorial Team

What is going on here?!? Windies 17/4?!?
Old April 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cricket Legend

In tatters. Steadying now.
Old April 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Aus lost their 5th wicket. Come on WI

West Indies 449/9d & 148
Australia 406/9d & 143/5 (38.2 ov)
Australia require another 49 runs with 5 wickets remaining
Min overs remaining 24.4
Old April 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

CI: down to paddle sweep and given out lbw!! Wade refers the call straight away...

6th may be?
Old April 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Deonarine to Wade, no run, down to paddle sweep and given out lbw!! Wade refers the call straight away...has he hit this...yes I think he might have but is there enough evidence!?! Does that matter...apparently there is evidence and the decision is overturned
Old April 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Australia require another 27 runs with 5 wickets remaining
Old April 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Feel very bad for WI! Worked so hard except that half hour before tea yesterday. Clarky took total advantage of a tired team out all day.

Just that half hour killed them. What a test though. All good beyond that half hour.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

Aussies were lucky to get away with this test. Everything went to their favour.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

what a series it has been so far ! The Aussies are clearly suffering from fatigue after such a long summer in home and then going to WI straightway.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

No amount of ipl bbl bpl ppl epl cpl jpl xpl can provide this. Well fought Windies. Go hard next test.
Old April 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Windies are buidling a solid team. chanderpaul is still around for now and everyone knows his quality, darren bravo is a quality batsman and edwards is a solid bat so is barath and kraigg brathwaite may not have the flare but is young and already has incredible mental fortitude. they've got a good spearhead in kemar roach and some strong up and comers in jason holder carlos brathwaite etc but they also have a solid pacer in fidel and taylor if he comes back.

as far as allrounders go andre russell is great and k cooper is making a name for himself and they still have the 2 dwaynes (bravo and smith) and pollard.

in terms of spinners they've got bishoo, narine and miller who are all solid and talented, and shillingford has been at the top of the wickets lists for the last few years so he should be a solid bowler as well.

WI have some really good talent coming through they should trust their youngsters i think. i reckon standouts will be be darren bravo, kirk edwards, andre russell and kemar roach but i think holder and c brathwaite will do quite well to. k cooper is hyped but i think he's more in the mold of dwayne bravo.....medium pacer, it's tough unless the pitch is in your favour and that would mean there is more pressure for him to perform as a batsman.

Last edited by Gowza; April 14, 2012 at 03:49 AM..
Old April 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Watching Baugh struggling this much makes me so grateful that we have Mushy. Baugh can't keep and his stats as a batsman is as bad as a tailender. At least Mushy can bat. I still believe that he should given up the gloves for Tests and play as a batsman while Dhiman should keep. That's the way they do it when they play for Rajshahi. Don't understand why they can't do it for Tests. Dhiman is also the 3rd highest scorer in this year's NCL. The 2nd year in a row where he has been 1 of the highest scorers in the NCL. I'm fine with Mushy in ODI's and T20I's as a keeper though.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cricket Guru

barath in dire straits, think it will be hard for him to retain his position after this test match unless his pulls out something great in the 2nd innings.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cricket Guru

i'm a fan of fidel but his inconsistency basically means any youngster who steps up and looks promising should be given a run, sad to say because i think fidel has all the tools to be a great fast bowler but he's had years to improve his consistency and line and length and perfect everything but he's the same bowler.

so i reckon carlos brathwaite could be a possible selection for them in their next match, jason holder is another possible but i think he needs more development than carlos at this point in their careers.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
barath in dire straits, think it will be hard for him to retain his position after this test match unless his pulls out something great in the 2nd innings.
The kid has talent for sure. I mean he hit a century against Australia the Gabba. I think what's hindered him is all the injuries he had to endure. It's messed up his development as a batsman. It's sad because he and Bravo started out at the same time and look at both of them now. Bravo has become 1 of the best young Test batsman in the world while Barath is struggling. I believe he should be kept around and be developed along with K Brathwaite and Kieran Powell. They all have potential and will come good in Test cricket with time. It'll really help having Gayle back who could take the pressure off of these 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i'm a fan of fidel but his inconsistency basically means any youngster who steps up and looks promising should be given a run, sad to say because i think fidel has all the tools to be a great fast bowler but he's had years to improve his consistency and line and length and perfect everything but he's the same bowler.

so i reckon carlos brathwaite could be a possible selection for them in their next match, jason holder is another possible but i think he needs more development than carlos at this point in their careers.
I believe injuries have hit Fidel badly as well. In this Test match, he had to bowl really short spells. That's how careful they are about him. I believe it's better he just focuses on T20I's and ODIs and just quits Tests. He can still be a real asset as a shorter version bowler. Also Roach has developed really nicely so the WI wouldn't miss Fidel much in Tests. I would put Rampaul back in because he did really well last time he was in.