facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old April 24, 2008, 05:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Disgraceful!

Hockey
Brac Bank Club Cup Hockey-2008
Fighting mars semi
Sports Reporter

You Are Not The Boss: A combo picture shows (L) Mohammedan captain Ariful Haq Prince (in the circle) is kicking umpire Golam Kibria in an ugly protest against a ruling while (R) Abahani's Russel Mahmud Jimmy threatens to slap the same hapless umpire during the two heavyweights' semifinal clash of the Brac Bank Club Cup hockey tournament at the Maulana Bhasani National Hockey Stadium yesterday. Kibria eventually left the field, with two minutes remaining in the clock, in fear of more harassment as almost all his decisions during the ill-tempered match were greeted with animosity. Photo: STAR

Incompetent umpiring by Golam Kibria brought a premature end to the first semifinal of the Brac Bank Club Cup hockey tournament yesterday.

Kibria, who failed to control the players of archrivals Abahani and Mohammedan throughout the proceedings, blew the final whistle with less than two minutes left and the teams locked 1-1.

Favourites Abahani took a 1-0 first-half lead through Rocky from the first penalty corner of a lacklustre match at the Maulana Bhasani National Hockey Stadium while the young and energetic Mohammedan equalised in the 68th minute.

According to bylaws, the match will restart at 3pm for the remaining one and half minutes (official time) and go into the tiebreakers if the result remains a draw.

The tournament committee took the decision last night and cautioned the players involved in the incidents.

The second semifinal between Usha Krira Chakra and Sonali bank will begin at 4pm.

Defending champions Mohammedan's equaliser was credited to Al Masum but it appeared that a long free-hit by Mohammedan's Pintu from the right side went in off Abahani defender Shamsuddin Tuhin's stick.

But Kibria, who appeared to walk toward fellow umpire Latifur Rahman to have a talk, suddenly signalled a goal.

Abahani stick wielders protested vehemently and threatened both the umpires as the match was stopped for about 20 minutes.

When everyone was feeling that the match could be started, Kibria blew the final whistle much to the surprise of all.

"I felt my life was at risk. So I refused to continue the game. Had it started, both teams would chase me," said Kibria before rushing to the tent.

Kibria himself was responsible for spoiling the match as he failed to punish a few properly during the match.

Mohammedan captain Ariful Haque Prince kicked him in the back while the black and whites were protesting a decision in the first half and he again pushed Kibria after the break. After twice failing to show the nerve to penalise the Mohammedan skipper, Kibria was third time brave when he only showed a green card to caution the striker.

Abahani players also pushed him for getting decisions their way to interrupt play often.

Referee Latifur Rahman later claimed Abahani wanted Kibria removed form the pitch and let the third umpire stand for him.

"We returned to play after officially lodging our protest to the tournament committee secretary (Ehtesham Sultan) but the umpire ended the match. We told the tournament committee to see video footage to confirm whether it was a goal or not," said Abahani coach Mahbub Harun.

The Daily Star

Old April 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

You Are Not The Boss: A combo picture shows (L) Mohammedan captain Ariful Haq Prince (in the circle) is kicking umpire Golam Kibria in an ugly protest against a ruling while (R) Abahani's Russel Mahmud Jimmy threatens to slap the same hapless umpire during the two heavyweights' semifinal clash of the Brac Bank Club Cup hockey tournament at the Maulana Bhasani National Hockey Stadium yesterday. Kibria eventually left the field, with two minutes remaining in the clock, in fear of more harassment as almost all his decisions during the ill-tempered match were greeted with animosity. Photo: STAR

Old April 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif

This is just not sports. On field mastans. Incompetent umpire.

You could as well play chor-police on the streets.
Old April 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
Cricket Legend

This is just shameful! What makes it even worse is that its two of the top and oldest clubs of Bangladesh sports, these two are setting examples to smaller clubs and players. I hope appropriate action is taken against those involved.
Old April 25, 2008, 10:34 AM
Cricket Sage

sobar dekhi same theory...jor jar mullok tar....
Old April 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cricket Sage

I think its the effect of espn and watching too many ice-hockey games by our field-hockey players...and thinking "hum lok kisisey kum nehi.... if they can fight with players....why not us ... and why not go one step further..."
Old May 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Most disgraceful:

After talking this and that (source:BangladesherKhela - We will beat Japan: Jimmy)
the result is
Old May 10, 2009, 05:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Although I should not but I feel like laughing............
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]