facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old August 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Biomechanics

Lets discuss biomechanics. This concept really fascinates me.. And no sports forum would be complete without it.

Biomechanics in Martial Arts from Human Weapon

Right now I am taking kali and fencing. I have plans on taking discus throw or Olympic type of weight lifting to be more aware of my own center of gravity and body mechanics. I may wanna take judo or wrestling too for a well balanced physical literacy. What do you think I should type in if I want to find out where I can go and practise things like javelin/discus throwing and long jumps? Also let's discuss what sports will be helpful in biomechanics.

Lastly, if a batsman applies body mechanics he can effortlessly execute a shot with perfect balance and economy of motion. I also wonder if our batsmen or bowlers are privy to the following technology:

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old August 8, 2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Three greens for you.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Lol thanks but what do you think is the best thing to do if someone wants to learn shot put and javelin throws? I am still enrolled in my college (not in athletics); do you think there will be resources?

Another thing that I see is being about 20lbs overweight I have struggle running as I lose stamina (please no sex jokes). I think a little bit of proper body mechanics may help one run at one's optimum performance. If you also have running problems watch this for biomechanics of running.

Biomechanics of shot put

Old August 8, 2009, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Lol thanks but what do you think is the best thing to do if someone wants to learn shot put and javelin throws? I am still enrolled in my college (not in athletics); do you think there will be resources?

Another thing that I see is being about 20lbs overweight I have struggle running as I lose stamina (please no sex jokes). I think a little bit of proper body mechanics may help one run at one's optimum performance. If you also have running problems watch this for biomechanics of running.

Biomechanics of shot put

Try emailing your college's athletic department.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Biomechanics of Swimming

Here is a collection:
Quote:
The Science of Swimming
Sport Science and medicine plays a very important part in the performance of a swimmer. Science can help fine tune the athlete, as in the end even a few hundredths of a second often decide the result of races.

Biomechanics & Physics
Sports Biomechanics is the application of physics and mechanics to the human body during sport. In such a technical sport such as swimming, it plays a very important part. Humans aren't the best swimmers; we can swim at 5 mph compared to a sailfish which can move through the water at 65 mph.

Through the water
Water is 773 as dense as air and 55 times as viscous. From the start, the body position on the block must be maximized to achieve the most efficient push off and get the body in position to enter the water, to make the 'hole ' to follow in through. Biomechanics also helps to understand the best body position to reduce drag following the dive, to maximize the speed that is achieved off the blocks. After the push off the wall, body position is also important to have a streamlined glide away from the wall and reduce drag.....

Body Suits
Biomechanics is also involved in the development of the swimming suit, that is often seen on the world swimming stage. The friction due to the flow of water over the body of the swimmer causes drag and slows the swimmers down. Science has developed special swimming suits that, though several different principles, reduces this drag. In February 2008 the LZR Racer was released, followed by many others in the lead up to the 2008 Beijing Olmpics. Some of the attributes of these suits include ridges on the suit to reduce turbulence and flow the water around the body, tight fitting suits that give proprioceptive feedback to help keep body form in the water, and surface pockets that hold air or water particles in the surface layer of the suit (like dimples in a golf ball), reducing surface friction....

Shaving Heads
Most swimmers wear a swimming cap, but others prefer to shave their heads and even the rest of their body in what they call a 'shave down' before a big race. For the same reason that swimmers will wear a body suit, the hair on the body causes drag in the water. Drag, otherwise known as resistance, slow the swimmer down. By making the head smooth and streamlined, water flows more smoothly over it. Latex or lycra caps can do the same thing for those that prefer to keep their hair on their heads.
Source: http://www.topendsports.com/sport/swimming/science.htm

Another good one is this pdf version:

http://www2.fhs.usyd.edu.au/ess/sinc...4abLC13web.pdf

Old August 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Try emailing your college's athletic department.
Thanks I will, but not sure if I have to enroll in proper classes because now it's too late.

Old August 8, 2009, 04:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

if you're overweight then lose some weight....that'd be the first thing to do, then once you've done that worry about biomechanics. the 2 best tips i've ever been given for running is high knee's and keep your toe's pointed slightly up (that way you make a bit more ground every step).
Old August 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
Cricket Savant

But Gowza it's catch-22. In order to lose weight I need to run. And in order to run properly I need body mechanics for optimal performance so as not to strain my waist and knees.

But anyways ,thanks. Ordering this right now:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Life gotta be fun!

Last edited by Zeeshan; August 8, 2009 at 06:20 PM..
Old August 8, 2009, 05:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Notice these are not mindless whacking of a ball. Physics from tennis are of the same genus as that of kali or cricket batting:

Old August 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Biomechanical differences between Ancient Greek discus thrower and modern athlete

Old August 8, 2009, 05:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Notice how the plyometrics of the ancient Greek long jump has the same form as that of modern wicketkeeping. One may very well do to study the proper movements of it to apply in one's own art.

Quote:
Plyometrics is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometric movements, in which a muscle is loaded and then contracted in rapid sequence, use the strength, elasticity and innervation of muscle and surrounding tissues to jump higher, run faster, throw farther, or hit harder, depending on the desired training goal. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, often with the goal of increasing the height of a jump.
wikipedia

Old August 8, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Commentators were talking how Dhoni (#1 ODI player atm right?) uses leverage, shifts weight down dropping center of mass by "going under the ball" and shooting his hips up to generate power and hit six. Same biomechanical application is also used to muay thai for rotation of your upper body with arms and hip as one piece (by favorite analogy are the aciton figures) and generating more power. Again note the similarity of mechanics in golf swing and how it can be applied to cricket shots if used wisely with ease.

Old August 8, 2009, 07:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Science of Cricket feat. Bangladesh U-19 (2008)

Old August 20, 2009, 12:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Good stuff.