facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 6, 2003, 06:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Default \"Chacha, let me just open the batting once ...

I want to hit six off Brett Lee " -Mashrafi

Interesting artcile in Bhorer Kagoj.
Link:
http://www.bhorerkagoj.net/archive/0.../news_10_0.php

[Edited on 6-10-2003 by tnb]

[Edited on 6-10-2003 by tnb]

Old October 6, 2003, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

I am touched.
Old October 6, 2003, 06:25 PM
Club Cricketer

Reading this I think we can, for once, take a chance with Masri in the openning, specially with weaker bowling attacks like Zimbabwe in LOIs. At least he has the desire, with experience technique will mature.
Old October 6, 2003, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This article made me think, is Sujon a good captain? My answer is still no. He is a good leader, but not a good captain. His bowler rotation is really bad. That alone can cost a team big loss.

2 Major things a good captain must learn is fielder placement and bowler rotation.
Old October 6, 2003, 07:17 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

I am touched... seriously touched by this article... but I will go with rajputro with this one... he still doesnt deserve to be the BD captain... more is required from the captain than what he delivers...

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by radicalsami]
Old October 6, 2003, 08:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

I am wondering why dav isn't showing him the algorithm of bowling rotations. Sujon should do his homework by chalking out the rotation based on different circumstances.

And also...sometime field placement won't be fruitful if bowlers don't bowl in line & length, and that what happend in most of the previous cases.

prohor
Old October 6, 2003, 09:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ummm, Rajputro, can you be bit more specific with your gripes against Shujon? Captains have lapses and I dont think Shujon's made any serious mistakes so far......
Old October 6, 2003, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Cant bring one up right away, but every match, ,when following live, it frustrates us how poorly he manages the bowlers, let alone using himself too much.
Old October 7, 2003, 05:27 AM
Cricket Legend

In the Aus tour using himself too much was bad on him. But he struck form against Pakistan... so bowling him self too much wasn't a bad thing as he became a strick bowler. But if he bowls poorly against the poms... he shouldn't make the same mistake as he did in Aus.
Old October 7, 2003, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Okay,

I think its important to make the distinction between Tests and ODIs. Sujon handles the bowlers quite well in Tests. Like Samir said, he hasn't made a serious blunder yet. He did bring himself on a little too often in the First Test against Pakistan because he was eager to prove that he had a role to play for the team. Once he started taking wickets and his confidence grew, his bowling changes got better.

In ODIs however, his bowling changes have been pretty terrible at times and I think this is what Rajputro is referring to. Two major problems that Pilot had as well. One, a captain needs to be able to recognize how many overs he can get out of a bowler in a single spell. Pilot had a terrible tendency to over-bowl his bowlers, and Sujon is a bit like that too. If a bowler has bowled a 6 over spell in one-day cricket and been economical, it doesn't mean that he should be given a seventh over. The captain has to recognize that maybe the bowler is tiring, his mental concentration is wearing out and decide to keep his remaining overs for later. Usually, you can tell this by the way the bowler runs up or loses accuracy towards the end of a long spell. But how many times have we chatted online or watched games and said okay its time to give so and so a rest but the captain brought him on for another over and the bowler went for 12 runs after he only gave away 15 in his first 5 overs. Surely we can all remember similar scenarios.

The other thing our captains still seem to be a little clueless about his how to use the bowlers in the slog overs. I just don't understand it but Sujon likes to bowl his spinners in the end overs with bowlers like Mashrafe and Mushfiq having overs left in their quota.
Old October 7, 2003, 12:32 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

The writer in that article has pointed out the very basic question: there are better batsman than Sujon outside the Bangladesh team, there are better bowlers than Sujon outside the Bangladesh team, there are also better all-rounders than Sujon outside the Bangladesh team.

But do we really have the replacement for Sujon the captain either outside or inside the Bangladesh team? It is now the 'talk of the town' as to who can replace Sujon as our test or one day or captain in both tests and one dayers. While we know that no former captain - whether in the team or outside the team will be given the role of leadership again, we also know that we might make a mistake if we make either Sumon the captain or make any of the youngsers like Kapali or Hannan - the captain. Under the present circumstances, then only one more name comes up - and after that, there is no choice for us - and that is Mohammad Rafique. But I guess from the last few matches that Rafique has played, he is probably slightly injured, or getting injured - could be his age or could be his physical fitness.

Until Sujon plays really badly, I mean really really badly as a player - which causes Bangladesh to lose a winning match - may be then can we afford to relieve him from the responsibility of captaining Bangladesh.
Old October 7, 2003, 01:12 PM
Street Cricketer