facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Wow, that's some logic.

How many of the current team members have played 5+ years of cricket?
7 out of 15! Not a bad percentage.

Mohammad Ashraful (2001)
Shahriar Nafees (2005)
Shakib Al Hasan (2006)
Mushfiqur Rahim (2006)
Abdur Razzak (2004)
Tamim Iqbal (2007)
Nazmul Hossain (2004)

i wonder How many of the current team members of SA have played 5+ years of cricket?

Old March 19, 2011, 11:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikfaisal
7 out of 15! Not a bad percentage.

Mohammad Ashraful (2001)
Shahriar Nafees (2005)
Shakib Al Hasan (2006)
Mushfiqur Rahim (2006)
Abdur Razzak (2004)
Tamim Iqbal (2007)
Nazmul Hossain (2004)

i wonder How many of the current team members of SA have played 5+ years of cricket?
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Duminy
Botha
Robbie P
Steyn
AB
Morkel
Wan Vyk
10-15 ie.

All made debut before 2007. The difference is that they didn't have to rush young players before gaining enough experience in the domestic level. Tahir has been playing like for ages of first class cricket and debuted in the 30's now. Same with Tsotsobe. The only exception being Parnell who's 21 or 22.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Absolutely! A couple of things are clear.

1. Despite all pronouncements to the contrary, the players are unable to handle the pressure and expectations in an environment where they no longer were the rank under-dogs.

2. On the tactical front, perhaps our team has become too 'one-dimensional' and predictable.

Going forward we need to assess the balance of our side but any changes will have to thoughtful and in an orderly manner. We need to ensure that the players learn the right lessons from this experience and become better players for it - even those who find themselves out of the team in the next little while.

Also IMO not all is lost. A number of top teams will be experiencing 'turn-overs' in the next year or two and that IMO opinion will level the playing field just that little bit and perhaps make the game more competitive. This is inevitable. Look at Australia! By persisting with a core group who have now played together for last 5 odd years we may be well-positioned to close the gap considerably.

Also, goes without saying, we need to keep investing in our domestic leagues and more importantly in our 'school' cricket for the long-term health of our game.

Anyways, life goes on...this is just a game...this too shall pass...so on and so forth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
Apologies to the thread opener, for the shame that Bangladesh cricket team has given you. Hopefully you will be delighted to know how the rest of the country and the 'system' makes us jubilant every other day.

As Zunaid bhai said, the expectations were high and rightly so. I think the players weren't mentally strong enough to take the load of the expectations. The shoulders of Shafiul, Shakib, Tamim aren't strong enough to support 160 million yet. But this is a good team, and once the bandwagon riders get off, we will see some amazing days. Australia visits us in April, hopefully that will be the start of an amazing journey.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I can emphatically say that BD performed better in 2007. They beat 2 strong Test teams- India and South Africa and this year they were beaten by these teams, especially SA who thrashed them mercilessly, They were not bowled out for such low scores in 2007, seems that they have not progressed at all, in fact, they have regressed. So sad to see this happen. I hope they can recover and prepare to play better cricket against Australia.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:18 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
I can emphatically say that BD performed better in 2007. They beat 2 strong Test teams- India and South Africa and this year they were beaten by these teams, especially SA who thrashed them mercilessly, They were not bowled out for such low scores in 2007, seems that they have not progressed at all, in fact, they have regressed. So sad to see this happen. I hope they can recover and prepare to play better cricket against Australia.
Single performances across so many years hardly make for a reasonable comparison. It might be better to compare a larger number of parameters such as total number of runs scored over a certain period of time and wickets taken etc.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu1987

What makes my blood boil is the attitude of the players. Shakib after the WI games said "when we play badly the fans are not happy with us" (or words to that effect) whilst smiling. Even today they were smiling as they walked off the pitch. They were raised with no assemblance of pride and are an undignified and disgraceful lot. The SA players took pity on the BD team and shook ther hands after the game. If I were a SA player, I would not let a BD player lick the sole of my shoes let alone shake my hand.

Im sorry but I cant agree with you there. The player's behaviour was disgraceful after the WI match was disgraceful no doubt about that and one can argue that it aggrevated fans blacklash to a certain extent. But they definitly made sure not to repeat their mistakes today because as far as I know there was none of that happening today. The players came out after the match, shook hands, then went back in again.
And to tell you the truth, I was preparing myself for the worst when Shakib was asked about the fans in his post match interview, but he apologised with great honesty which shows his maturity as captain, and is highly applaudable(well coming from Shakib anyway).
Old March 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

mu1987 - two words "dori" and "kolshi". Get over it, already.
Old March 19, 2011, 07:02 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Excuses Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoNaSha
Single performances across so many years hardly make for a reasonable comparison. It might be better to compare a larger number of parameters such as total number of runs scored over a certain period of time and wickets taken etc.
He was talking about the 2007 world cup where we defeated two strong teams in the competition, India and SA. This world cup we were trashed by these same two teams. It is fair to make that comparison as they were both high calibre competitions and BD played the same two teams (albeit in different conditions) in both comps.

If you want a larger parameter:

1986 to 1998 we lost 22 games in a row
1999 to 2002 we lost 23 games in a row ( a world record!)
In 2003, we lost 18 games in a row
in 2004 we lost 10 games in a row
2007 to 2008 we lost 14 games in a row
2010, we lost 14 games in a row

We have 6 of the TOP 20 losing streaks, including the top two all time ODI losing streaks. Not even Zimbabwe or Kenya come close.

Source: Cricinfo

When will all the excuses end?
Old March 20, 2011, 12:47 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
He was talking about the 2007 world cup where we defeated two strong teams in the competition, India and SA. This world cup we were trashed by these same two teams. It is fair to make that comparison as they were both high calibre competitions and BD played the same two teams (albeit in different conditions) in both comps.

If you want a larger parameter:

1986 to 1998 we lost 22 games in a row
1999 to 2002 we lost 23 games in a row ( a world record!)
In 2003, we lost 18 games in a row
in 2004 we lost 10 games in a row
2007 to 2008 we lost 14 games in a row
2010, we lost 14 games in a row

We have 6 of the TOP 20 losing streaks, including the top two all time ODI losing streaks. Not even Zimbabwe or Kenya come close.

Source: Cricinfo

When will all the excuses end?
Please don't get me wrong as I am not defending the batting in the WC. (The bowling was really decent and the fielding mostly, but the batting was not).

However, I have to pick you up on the 'we were better in 2007' rubbish. Plus you also are going back to dates such as 1986, 1998 and 2004...

During the last six months - the current form guide - we won 4-0 (100% win) and 3-1 (75% win) 1 of our 2 warm ups (50% win) and won 3 and lost 3 in the WC (50% win). I make that 11 wins out of 16 - or a 69% success rate.

BD has NEVER had a 69% success rate across 16 internationals before IN ITS HISTORY. Let's get some perspective please. Yes the WC was disappointing for a 9th ranked side not to make it to QF, but it's worth highlighting the good things in recent times as well as just criticising.

i think if we all thought BD was going to win more games than it loses, we would all be happy fans.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

I only feel shame at my lack of willpower when it comes to giving up smoking.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:21 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Why, why, why are we such an awful team? The whole lot are useless and fill me with nothing but shame. Tamim has to be the most overrated player I have ever come across. It is one thing to lose, but it is another to lose with no dignity. Twice in this world cup we have scored below 80 setting records for all the wrong reasons.

What makes my blood boil is the attitude of the players. Shakib after the WI games said "when we play badly the fans are not happy with us" (or words to that effect) whilst smiling. Even today they were smiling as they walked off the pitch. They were raised with no assemblance of pride and are an undignified and disgraceful lot. The SA players took pity on the BD team and shook ther hands after the game. If I were a SA player, I would not let a BD player lick the sole of my shoes let alone shake my hand.

People say that we didn't play that badly by winning three games. If you look at it we beat the teams we were expecting to beat (Ire and Neth) and just about (I personally think it was luck) beat England. I mean, in the last world cup in 2007 we managed to beat India and SA doing much better than this time so how can anyone take any positives from this!

We are a disgrace as a team, the laughing stock of world cricket and are the butt of ALL jokes from ALL other test playing nations (and a few associate teams as well). We do not deserve test status, Ireland do. They may lose as much as us, but at least the play with digity and lose on their feet, unlike BD who like nothing better than to lay on their backs and get kicked repeatedly.

Today, if they had lost by 50 runs or even managed to score 200, I would have been a sad BD fan but not a disgraced one, but they couldn't even score 80. I am ashamed of the BD team and I am tired, year after year, of being ashamed.

In 2007 (I was 20) and had hoped and dreamed I would see BD win a world cup before I turned 30. Now, at the age of 23, I fully expect they will not even get to a semi-final before I die. The shame is too much to bear.
i think you have spoken too much and maybe been arrogant about the team before the worldcup among your friends and collegues. thats why you are feeling ashamed..if thats the case,you should get your act right.and stop blaming the team..have realistic hope.bangladesh will win worldcup..but its the hard work..if you are really feeling bad for the team,do something for them.what ever you can.be part of that hardwork.and then you can be proud of that cup...
Old March 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

এত হতাশ হওয়ার কিছু দেখি না। ব্যাটিং ঠিক করতে পারলেই সব ঠিক হয়ে যাবে।
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old March 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i am indifferent...