facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 9, 2017, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Default Barisal Bulls out of BPL 2017

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...bulls-bpl-2017

WTF? What a mess. Looks like it will be 7 teams this time around. And with 5 foreigners per team, forget seeing any fresh young talent.

If the owners are going to be so incompetent, should BCB open up BPL to foreign ownership, similar to the SA Global league? Would someone like Shahrukh Khan want to extend his Knight Rider brand to Bangladesh? Thoughts?

p.s. looking forward to a Mushy "happiness is this" post

Old August 9, 2017, 03:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Bankrupt?

Sorry haven't read the article.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

So Fizz will be in the draft?

I hope Sylhet gets Mustafiz. With Sabbir and Fizz as locals, team would be really good.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Bankrupt?

it's barely an article bro. Looks like BB won't participate b/c they didn't pay tournament fees.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
So Fizz will be in the draft?

I hope Sylhet gets Mustafiz. With Sabbir and Fizz as locals, team would be really good.
Yea all the signed players, including Fizz, will be in the draft.
Old August 9, 2017, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Now we will have 42 local players playing...
Bcb has gone crazy trying to compete with Global t20
Old August 9, 2017, 11:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

So it's basically the same as BPL 2

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 10, 2017, 03:37 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
So it's basically the same as BPL 2

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
hmm replacing Barishal with Sylet
Old August 10, 2017, 05:19 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar

If they extend it to foreign investors...I might buy a team. Name of the team will be something like Austin's Annuity.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin 3:!6
If they extend it to foreign investors...I might buy a team. Name of the team will be something like Austin's Annuity.
Classy, real classy.

Go dig a hole, comments like that are just plain disrespectful.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Classy, real classy.

Go dig a hole, comments like that are just plain disrespectful.
ANd you replying to it is feeding the

You know how to put someone in the ignore list?
Old August 10, 2017, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...bulls-bpl-2017

WTF? What a mess. Looks like it will be 7 teams this time around. And with 5 foreigners per team, forget seeing any fresh young talent.

If the owners are going to be so incompetent, should BCB open up BPL to foreign ownership, similar to the SA Global league? Would someone like Shahrukh Khan want to extend his Knight Rider brand to Bangladesh? Thoughts?

p.s. looking forward to a Mushy "happiness is this" post
This is complete mismanagement man, you are right nothing wrong in opening up to foreign franchises, Someone like Khan who always looks for investment I am sure he would love to own a BPL team, sure as hell will earn him more profit than his CPL team, he has millions of fans in BD, if he comes to cheer his team thousands will flock to stadium just to see him, win win for both.
Old August 10, 2017, 11:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Bankrupt?

They failed to confirm Bank Guarantee which is a prerequisite to take part in the tournament. BCB had no choice but to rule them out because they had to make sure players are being paid.
Old August 10, 2017, 02:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
This is complete mismanagement man, you are right nothing wrong in opening up to foreign franchises, Someone like Khan who always looks for investment I am sure he would love to own a BPL team, sure as hell will earn him more profit than his CPL team, he has millions of fans in BD, if he comes to cheer his team thousands will flock to stadium just to see him, win win for both.
Foreign ownership would also raise the value of each franchise due to the added competition. Now we just have guys with some money and lots of political connections owning teams they have no business owning. Sometimes I get so frustrated just thinking about it.
Old August 10, 2017, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim, Sabbir, Mustafiz

Musfiq smiling behind the door.... hope he does matter in Australia series.
Old August 10, 2017, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Foreign ownership would also raise the value of each franchise due to the added competition. Now we just have guys with some money and lots of political connections owning teams they have no business owning. Sometimes I get so frustrated just thinking about it.
Exactly, I would personally love to see a Khulna Knight riders in the neighborhood.

IPL was successful from the very first season credit goes to one guy, Lalit Modi, it was his brain child and he literally micromanaged everything in the first season and the seasons after that just followed the same pattern. First impression is often the last and most long-lasting impression.

TBH there is nothing to be frustrated of, it is not easy to organize this kind of leagues, BPL is still in the infant stage and will improve over time, the only complaint I have is the presentation, I am not talking about after match party or cheerleaders, but at least videography/quality of the videos should be improved if you wanna attract more Non-BD viewers.
Old August 10, 2017, 03:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Exactly, I would personally love to see a Khulna Knight riders in the neighborhood.

IPL was successful from the very first season credit goes to one guy, Lalit Modi, it was his brain child and he literally micromanaged everything in the first season and the seasons after that just followed the same pattern. First impression is often the last and most long-lasting impression.

TBH there is nothing to be frustrated of, it is not easy to organize this kind of leagues, BPL is still in the infant stage and will improve over time, the only complaint I have is the presentation, I am not talking about after match party or cheerleaders, but at least videography/quality of the videos should be improved if you wanna attract more Non-BD viewers.
Channel 9 broadcasting is a joke, apparently BCB paid off $15M to get out of it

As for the cheerleaders, I like the fact there isn't any of that, I despise that about the IPL, it's often more bollywood than cricket, I get it attracts certain Indian audiences more, and more sponsorship money to have dlf maximum, carbon catch or whatever bs, but that really ruins the experience of watching it along with the forced lines commentators have to say

Old August 10, 2017, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000

As for the cheerleaders, I like the fact there isn't any of that, I despise that about the IPL, it's often more bollywood than cricket, I get it attracts certain Indian audiences more, and more sponsorship money to have dlf maximum, carbon catch or whatever bs, but that really ruins the experience of watching it along with the forced lines commentators have to say
IPL was not created to cater to the Puritans. Primary goals of IPL were
  • To make truckloads of money for BCCI.
  • To recognize raw young talents.
  • To make people flock to the stadium.
  • To make sure the average Indian viewer is glued to the TV while the match is on
  • To make sure that the owners and investors are making profits.
  • To attract a minimum amount of viewers from other cricket playing countries.
  • To make sure that all the players are properly paid as per their contracts
  • To make sure that the domestic players with very little chance to don the blue ever can earn some extra bucks.
  • To create city based rivalries much like soccer leagues.

So far IPL not only fulfilled all the above criteria but exceeded the expectations as well, it is a money making machine for BCCI and has become instrumental in churning out young talents and has a massive popularity among Indian fans, in terms of quality of cricketers both foreign and domestic IPL is miles ahead of other leagues, it became exactly what it was meant to be and more, a tale of success.

Anyways this thread is not about IPL, so I will stop.
Old August 10, 2017, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Thank God we don't have cheerleaders. It doesn't suit Bengali culture. It doesn't suit Indian culture either, imo. It's just tacky. Not to mention further proof of india's obsession with white skin.

My gripe with BPL is that there's nothing original about it. It's just a carbon copy of IPL, and they can't even do that properly.

The insatiable appetite for cricket in Bangladesh means that BPL will always have a following and will succeed, even when the management is so pathetic. So no one holds their feet to the fire. Here's how I would change things for now:

1) Open up franchise ownership to foreign firms - results in more money being poured in. Value of each franchise would jump as BD firms would have to outbid foreign firms. Not to mention a Knigh Rider management would be a lot more professional and serious than the gadhas running the Barisal Bulls.

2) That money could then be used to develop stadiums and create proper home/away fixtures. And not using the same 2 venues would result in better on field product as well.

3) Go back to 4 foreigners per XI and also require a u-19 player in each XI.

4) Have Bengali-centric team names (see my previous thread - minus all the sylhet back and forth). Jokes aside, those names make more sense than the generic crap we have now.

5) Get rid of team ambassadors and instead have team mascots. Would create a more family friendly environment.
Old August 10, 2017, 04:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
  • To make sure the average Indian viewer is glued to the TV while the match is on
  • To make sure that the domestic players with very little chance to don the blue ever can earn some extra bucks.
Agree 100%. IPL has become a goliath. And BPL has only managed to copy IPL on a superficial level, rather than focus on the management and business side of it. If you want to compete with Goliath, don't just put something together and call yourself Boliath. Be different, be unique, become David.
Old August 10, 2017, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thank God we don't have cheerleaders. It doesn't suit Bengali culture. It doesn't suit Indian culture either, imo. It's just tacky. Not to mention further proof of india's obsession with white skin.
Our culture is not rigid, we are a thousands of years old continuous civilization, when west was hunting and gathering we built majestic cave images and sculptures of Ajanta and Ellora, ours is the land of Kamasutra, sex has never been a taboo for a large part of our history, we became this conservative in last few hundred years, remnants of our culture is still very much present in far east,a few ladies shaking legs is no threat to our culture. Don't worry. BTW what is Bangladeshi culture? It is a subset of Indian culture just like there is nothing called Pakistani culture. You are trying to built a different identity I get that but toying with history can be dangerous, don't have to go far see just see what Pakistanis have become in their quest to become "Not-Indians"

That fair skin bit is a bit offensive, I did not expect that from you, Bangladesh was not appeared from nowhere, it was carved from the very land you are making fun of, you were ruled by the same people, have the same blood share the same obsessions. You insulting us is like you spitting in your own face, not sure if you understand that.

Anyways I don't mean no offence and don't wanna derail this thread either, I wish BPL all the success in the world.
Old August 10, 2017, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
don't just put something together and call yourself Boliath. Be different, be unique, become David.
He he that bold bit is funny
Old August 10, 2017, 05:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Liton Kumar Das

cryptic post: "bombai morich" emon ekkhan chiz...nam mukhe nileo loker ga jole!
Old August 10, 2017, 05:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
BTW what is Bangladeshi culture? It is a subset of Indian culture just like there is nothing called Pakistani culture. You are trying to built a different identity I get that but toying with history can be dangerous, don't have to go far see just see what Pakistanis have become in their quest to become "Not-Indians"
There is no such thing as Bangladeshi culture. Our culture is Bengali culture. It's not a subset of Indian culture because there is no such thing as "Indian" culture. What most people outside of the subcontinent call Indian culture is just North Indian culture (hindi speaking, Hindu dominant, Sacred Cow, Diwali, etc.) But I'm sure you will agree, that's not all of Indian culture. It's hard to have a singular identity when so many ethnicities are involved. But that's not true for Bangladesh. We are 98% Bengali and that is our sole culture. If anything, we contributed to "Indian" culture. To call Bengali culture a subset is to imply that we somehow "borrowed" from India, when that's not true. We've simply held on to what we have always had.

Quote:
That fair skin bit is a bit offensive, I did not expect that from you, Bangladesh was not appeared from nowhere, it was carved from the very land you are making fun of, you were ruled by the same people, have the same blood share the same obsessions. You insulting us is like you spitting in your own face, not sure if you understand that.
I don't disagree. It's a problem in Bangladesh as well. Fair & Lovely is very popular here, a sad fact. But you have to admit that there's a reason why those cheerleaders are mostly white. There's no defending that. It's just pathetic all around.
Old August 11, 2017, 11:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

So far IPL not only fulfilled all the above criteria but exceeded the expectations as well, it is a money making machine for BCCI and has become instrumental in churning out young talents and has a massive popularity among Indian fans, in terms of quality of cricketers both foreign and domestic IPL is miles ahead of other leagues, it became exactly what it was meant to be and more, a tale of success.

Anyways this thread is not about IPL, so I will stop.
On the whole of course ipl is good for Indian cricket

How many young players has it actually produced though?

'To attract a minimum amount of viewers from other cricket playing countries.' - nonsense

Further, they didn't need to go show much showbiz, cheerleaders are cringe worthy, lot of the things just looks like a desperate attempt to bring more 'Americanised'

I don't mind T20, but Big Bash is better to watch than IPL even though it's got less players, that's mainly because it's more cricket based, even though it's got side things to it, it's not in your face

I can't tell you about Indian culture, but most will find You can't watch IPL with your grandmother or young kids, cause every 30 seconds you've got a half naked woman shaking her behind at the camera