facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 23, 2004, 10:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default How can we perform better?

I know, in this board, there are many knowledgeable (in cricketing sense) people and/or many people who have wonderful writing skills. For people like me, can someone make a good analysis only of this last match? It would be particularly nice to hear from people who have watched the match on TV.

Before that let me put forward my view. I, like many others, have blamed our batting in most matches. To be honest our top order batting continues to fail consistently. That should be no mean worry for our team management. The law of averages has also failed in their case. Particularly, for ODIs it seems to be a one-way traffic. Today, in spite of being 31 for 4 or something like that, we ended up with 190. That is far short of being a good total. We cannot win matches with that kind of total on sub-continental pitches. However, that is not an embarrassing score by any stretch of imagination. Just for reference sake, India scored 183 and defended that in the 1983 World Cup final against West Indies. I did not expect us to win against Sri Lanka today after scoring 190. But what I fail to comprehend is why could our bowlers not even get a single wicket in this game? I did not follow the game all day. Were there some chances at least?

Some people say that our bowling attack would be much stronger once Masri comes back. I know he is one of the best that we have, but comebacks are not necessarily easy. It puts a lot of pressure on the player concerned. So I would give him time to get his rhythm back. What about the ones that are playing now? Rafique seems to have lost the bite. He and Taposh were not too expensive, but they need to take wickets. Was there line and length not right? Do they not have variety? What is wrong?

I am not here to blame the bowlers. I have lost my words to write about our top order batsmen. Bashar and Rajin have been failing miserably and putting a lot of pressure on the #5 and 6 batsmen. Can we not expect the batting to click at least for once in this tournament? It is too pathetic and demoralizing for us to endure this scenario every single time. Our players are lucky that the supporters are not doing destructive things like some other team supporters do. I do not even approve of that, but there is enough reason for us to be upset. A lot of us have been more understanding and advocated for more time. Yes, but how much more. The “lack of experience” line is no longer valid. More so, because, we are really not expecting much.

The next point is if this is our real potential. May be our players cannot be expected to do much better and it is us - the fans - who are living in a make-believe world? Our team is like the 4th boy in this class of 4. We cannot expect the 4th boy to suddenly become the 1st boy, but we can expect the 4th boy to do better in Math (say, top order batting) and Language (say, bowling) with each passing exam. And may be slowly the 4th boy will one day become the 3rd boy.

The answer to our problems is not to play teams of lower standing such as Canada, UAE and others. I hope people who are saying these are doing so out of frustration and do not really mean it. If we fall into that trap of winning no matter against whom, it would take our cricket back many years. Nor does it make any sense, to me at least, to hear that we can win the next 2 games (as was said before the Sri Lanka match). People obviously will differ from my opinion, but I do not believe in making unrealistic comments. That makes us laughable. If one day, we do win a match against a test team, it will be recognized, irrespective of what we predicted earlier.

What else is left for us to do. Praying. I guess some of us are also doing that, as I have seen in some posts.
Old July 24, 2004, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Well I saw our bowling and it was horrible. Just crap. They not believe in themselves it seemed. Sujon is not an opening bowler and its pathetic that everyone knows that yet there he is with the new ball. We had fielders stacked on the offside only for sujon to keep sending in leg side wides. Every single delivery from him was benign and pitched in at the worng place, well almost.

He wasn't the only culprit. What's happened to rafique? He can't turn the ball anymore, he doesn't flight the ball, is he finished?

razzak and tapash had a few decent deliveries, and I was half awake through rana's deliveries.

as for the batting, we scored 13 runs or something like that between overs 11 and 20. 13 runs. These guys can't use the pace of the ball to their advantage, can't find gaps and the unnecessary run-outs, oh God! I don't know how ashraful and rana dragged on for a 100 runs but I had to sleep and didn't watch it.

I felt like the days when pakistan and sri lanka would score 555/5 dec. against us. I would send this team home and give them a month off before they play more cricket.
Old July 24, 2004, 01:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

One must say this Asia cup has given rise to a lot of superb writing in this forum. The post by cricket46 is one of the most sincere and candid one.

These days I am quite wary of offering suggestions in this forum lest it be mistaken for what is called "elite mentality" etc in this forum. But my suggestion is based on common sense. My suggestion is to play against teams which are marginally stronger than BD in addition to playing teams which are vastly superior. It does not mean playing non test teams. It means playing A sides of test teams in addition to playing their full teams. This was the route taken by Sri Lanka and is being adopted by Kenya.
Old July 24, 2004, 02:31 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Cricket46 please check your u2u. Thanks.
Old July 24, 2004, 04:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Few random thoughts

1. In theory all major test/ODI playing countries should have a pool of 15 to 20 quality players to pick from for test and ODI matches. We don't have that sort of quality at present. We have players with potential, but they are not able to transform their potential into performance on the field. I think the problem is deep rooted and something to do with our poor domestic cricket played on garbage pitches.

3. Different teams for tests and ODIs is not a solution - we still lack quality player who can implement their skills on field.

2. Something is fundamentally wrong with BD's batting order. I rule out the possibility of Bashar being dropped from ODI squad even though he proved nothing and has a low average. Bashar needs to go down to no.4 slot. His unique batting technique has been successful to get him runs at 35 average in tests but in ODIs it's totally exposed more often than not. Let us find a rather solid player techniquewise with patience at no.3 then Bashar could come and play his innings with less footwork when the ball is old and doesn't move much. I suggest Rana , for Asia cup, to play at no.3 or Rajin saleh in future when he's in form and selected for the team. Considering Ash will open with Javed or Shahrier, our middle order remains our biggest concern. I guess we have to give Kaps and Faisal little more time (!) or bring in a U-19 player who's relatively matured than other U-19 players. Nafiz Iqbal comes to my mind even though he used to play as an opener. But opening for the national team is a whole different issue all together and Nafiz has to wait for that one.

3. Khaled Mahmood has to go, I'm afraid. Mushfique or other players are not doing any good , but we can't afford to keep another old useless player. Here the key word is 'his age' as a medium fast (!) bowler, otherswise being useless isn't that much of an issue now!

4. I strongly advocate for introducing Twenty20 cricket in domestic level. It can further and improve our one-day international side because the boys will be learning to bowl at the death. Not only that we would not be left behind in case it becomes a permanent fixture worldwide in few years time, Batting-wise, they are going to be learning new shots and improvising much more. In the longer game you wouldn't have to do that until the very end, here you are going to have to do it straight away.
Old July 24, 2004, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

We can improve by realizing that, being a weak ODI side, there are more important things such as practising big shots than boxing each others' heads off before big tournaments.
Old July 24, 2004, 05:52 AM
Street Cricketer

In my opinion, the team selection was very disappointing. For starters a cricket team should not start a match with one true pacer. Chacha should be used to feel up overs. I think Chacha should be dropped from the squad, sorry to say he is of no use. I think to have a fighting chance we should have 3 pacers (mushfiq, tareq, tapash) for now and 2 spinners (rafique and razzak). Of course our top order needs to be sorted out first. My line up would be like this:

1. Javed Omar
2. Khaled Mashud
3. Rajin Saleh ( i would prefer a left hander here)
4. Mohammed Ashraful
5. Habibul Bashar
6. Manjural Islam Rana
7. Alok Kapali/ Faisal Hussain
8. Mushfiq
9. Mohammed Rafique
10. Tapash Baisya
11. Tareq Aziz

Of course recent performances by our bowlers and batsman leave the option of "new faces on the team" open. As for bowlers i suggest bringing in another pacer (may be a swing bowler -- U19) and cutting Tareq from the team. As for batsman, I think Kapali and Faisal should go back and learn more and give some new faces chance to play. At the same time the senior batsmans have to pick up their games to show leadership. Especially our good ol captain Habibul Bashar. One thing that we need to concentrate on is "learning how to play one day internationals." We look horrible out there. I think practice matches (odi) within Bangladesh and outside club teams (country cricket) should be setup and it should be frequent. Also we need to learn how to play the first 15 overs.

Thats all i got for now i will try later to put my brain to use and share my amateur insights

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by toxic]
Old July 24, 2004, 01:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Our Performance

I am trying compare Srilanka's ODI records with ours. Here is Srilanka's win/lose history from 1982-1995. I am going to make some comments on how to improve our performance afterwards.

SRILANKA 1982-1995
# ODI Won Lost %
1982 8 2 6 25.00%
1983 13 3 8 23.08%
1984 7 3 4 42.86%
1985 19 2 16 10.53%
1986 12 3 8 25.00%
1987 10 0 10 0.00%
1988 16 4 12 25.00%
1989 10 2 8 20.00%
1990 15 5 10 33.33%
1991 4 0 4 0.00%
1992 19 7 10 36.84%
1993 23 8 13 34.78%
1994 23 9 13 39.13%
1995 17 9 8 52.94%
Old July 24, 2004, 01:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Our Performance: How to improve it

An attempt to compare our ODI records with Srilanka's. A little change to my previous post for your visual convenience.
SRILANKA 1982-1995
Year # ODI Won Lost %
1982 8 2 6 25.00%
1983 13 3 8 23.08%
1984 7 3 4 42.86%
1985 19 2 16 10.53%
1986 12 3 8 25.00%
1987 10 0 10 0.00%
1988 16 4 12 25.00%
1989 10 2 8 20.00%
1990 15 5 10 33.33%
1991 4 0 4 0.00%
1992 19 7 10 36.84%
1993 23 8 13 34.78%
1994 23 9 13 39.13%
1995 17 9 8 52.94%
Old July 24, 2004, 03:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Default My team against Pakistan, Asia Cup

1. Javed Omar
2. Mohammed Ashraful
3. Manjural Islam Rana
4. Habibul Bashar
5. Alok Kapali
6. Khaled Mashud
7. Faisal Hussain
8. Mushfiq Rahman
9. Mohammed Rafique
10. Tapash Baisya
11. Abdur Razzak

I hear Javed would play in the final match after recovering from injury. Rajin is low on confidence and completely out of sort at the moment. So he would be the 12th man ( for his fielding capability). At no.3 we need someone who can hold the top order batting together. Rana is the best possible selection there for the moment, if not Pilot. Pilot and Bashar have similar sort of averages/experience , so it would not hurt, i guess, if Masud bats at no.3. Tareq is of no use as well, not able to cut it. Too expensive to command a place. And i would not comment on Khaled Mahmood.

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by Zephaniah]
Old July 24, 2004, 07:10 PM
Club Cricketer

Default team

I like Ziphaniah's team selection and comment. However, I have an observation to share. When Atahar, Aminul, Akram, Nannu was in the team they had a capability of scoring 30-40 runs and team total was at the range of 190-200 in most cases. When we have thses 'talented' and 'multiskilled' Rajin, Faisal, Hannan etc they can only score 0-20 consistantly, and the team score ranges between 160-180. I think within their limitations, Aminul, Atahar, Akram Nannu played for the pride of the nation, they knew their limitations and played accordingly. Bashar, Alok, Rajin etc does not even know their limitations. Part of the reason is the building of 'Habibul Bashar square' in Kustia and mass reception of 4 national heroes (inclding alok, tapash, Rajin) in Sylhet. We are spoiling what ever little talent we have by making them national hero ater they have scored 18+ avarage in ODI and taking a few wickets in Test. Not only laughable but self destructing.
Old July 24, 2004, 08:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Zephaniah, that would be my team too...

[quote]Originally posted by Zephaniah
1. Javed Omar
2. Mohammed Ashraful
3. Manjural Islam Rana
4. Habibul Bashar
5. Alok Kapali
6. Khaled Mashud
7. Faisal Hussain
8. Mushfiq Rahman
9. Mohammed Rafique
10. Tapash Baisya
11. Abdur Razzak

I hear Javed would play in the final match after recovering from injury. Rajin is low on confidence and completely out of sort at the moment. So he would be the 12th man ( for his fielding capability). At no.3 we need someone who can hold the top order batting together. Rana is the best possible selection there for the moment, if not Pilot. Pilot and Bashar have similar sort of averages/experience , so it would not hurt, i guess, if Masud bats at no.3. Tareq is of no use as well, not able to cut it. Too expensive to command a place. And i would not comment on Khaled Mahmood.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Except, I would make small changes in the batting order.

Faisal goes in 3, Rana in 6. Therefore, Mashud goes 7 and Razzak/Tapash exchange spots.

I have seen Rana bat against WI and he clearly swayed away from fast short-of-length balls. You might say Faisal does not move his feet. Yes, but he is in the team. Rana, on the other hand played Chandana and Jaysuriya well. Even hit a four of Murali. Admittedly, got stumped but only chasing runs. I am also very keen to get in the lefties as early as possible but not together.
Old July 24, 2004, 08:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cricketfan
It means playing A sides of test teams in addition to playing their full teams. This was the route taken by Sri Lanka and is being adopted by Kenya.
I somewhat agree. This is a route also taken by Asian big guns - India, Pakistan and Srilanka. They recently played a triangular tournament named 'Emerging Trophy' involving A-teams from India, Pakiatan and Srilanka. And i don't have a clue why Bangladesh, as the newest test playing nation in the region, missed out! I guess if you ask BCB they would come up with some lame excuses, wouldn't they?

Another thing I noticed of late that BD A-team plays competitive matches once in a blue moon where as, after that 'Emerging Trophy, other sub-continental A-teams are on tour. India A team is now playing Zimbabwe and Srilanka A team touring England and played matches against all major county teams. When did BD-A team play outside of Asia last? No one should possibly expect a fringe player to develop as a true international unless he has some experience to play in different conditions against other A teams.

Some posters here want some of our players to be sent to different countries to play club cricket etc. I don't think that is a practical idea , 'cause club cricket isn't that much of quality cricket our internationals need to play. They should rather play against other A teams from different continents. It should be pretty straight forward for BCB to arrange A-team tours between test playing nations. Apparently all other test playing nations are doing it apart from BD - just remembered England A recently toured India.

Looking back to history, I remember SAARC cricket held in Dhaka in 1995 (?) involving A teams from all sub-continental countries. BD A team played few competitive matches in that tournament by beating Pakistan-A and Srilanka-A to reach the final and lost to India-A in the final which was a pretty close match. I do think by organising and playing such tournament then BD players developed their game methodically to cope with different situations which eventually paid divident in the next ICC trophy '97. I think BCB should start thinking about organising tours for our A team if they are really serious about developing a pool of 15 to 20 quality players for our ODI team.
Old July 25, 2004, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Bangladesh A team

Like I said in my earlier post I strongly believe playing A-team maches is the only way forward to develop fringe players and matured/talented U-19 players. Here I'll try to select 15 more players for the A-team based on my personal observation and inform players who would have good consistant performance with A-team would get a nod ahead of useless/out-of-form national team players in the national squad.

1. Shahrier Hussain
2. Nafiz Iqbal
3. Hannan Sarkar
4. Al-Shahrier Rokon
5. Tushar Imran
6. Dhiman Ghosh (w/k)
7. TBC. I would love to have an orthodox
off-spinner here , any suggestion? Naimur Rahman?
8. Enamul Haque
9. Md. Sharif
10. Talha Jubaer
11. Shahadat Hussain
12. Nafees Ahmed
13. Nadif Chaudury
14. Aftab Ahmed
15. TBC

Some players in this team may get selected for the national team soon. But I think we should have a systematic selection policy. For example best performing U-19s will get selected for the A-team first, then for the national team subject to their performance. Thus we'll have players ready for international ckicket and reduce any chances to choke in match situation as they would have played enough matches in diferent situation/conditions.

Barring Mashrafee i would not like to see anyone get selected for the national team just after having a lengthy lay off due to injury. Our players are no exception than other internationals who takes some time to get match fitness back.

I'm reasonably happy with my first eleven, though i'll try to search for a off-spinner at no.7 preferably who's a decent bat too. Nafees Ahmed and Nadif Chaudury would be selected for the A-team if they do well consistantly in the U-19 England tour as they are doing now. BD's next assignment is to play in the British Isles ( Ireland, Scotland then Champions trophy in England). So touring U-19 team's performance will be closly monitored. For 3/4 days match I'll drop Tushar and include Hannan for the final eleven.

Please fell free to comment on this post.

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Zephaniah : Hannan Sarkar added! ]

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Zephaniah : Hannan added in the final eleven]
Old July 25, 2004, 09:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Zephaniah, as usual I agree with most of your post..

I am not very knowledgeable about the Bangladesh second string...

However, Sarkar belongs in the first team. But not as an opener. I would like him to go in at No.4 with Bashar at No.5. Javed Omar opens with Ashraful. Faisal, Saleh, Kapali and Rana or anyone from the "A" team fights out the No.3 and No.6 spot. Sarkar is too good a batsman to be left out in the cold. His glaring vulnerability is against a left arm in-dipper. But he is not the only one.

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Imtiaz]
Old July 25, 2004, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

The current squad playing at Asia cup has a spot open for a batsman after JO got injured. JO will not play in PAKI match too (Ittefaq 25 July). So team management has to play Rajin or Alok again. I think it was a good chance for the selector to bring another new player to SL for the PAK game and even he does not play at least put some pressure on others! I think team management is too nice to send JO back home. I am sure other teams would not do this like we did. Just check Zaheer case!

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by sports_fan_bd]
Old July 25, 2004, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by sports_fan_bd : Moderators: pls delete this ]
Old July 25, 2004, 03:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

Not that we had any pressure of reaching the final anyway, but now that we are not going to go into the final, this is the best time to start our preparations for the ICC Champions Trophy.

We had the earliest time out of all the other teams to prepare for this tournament and yet we have not produced anything but a win against a non-test playing part-timers, whereas Sri-Lanka who had the shortest time to prepare are playing in the final and also undefeated so far.

So this shows that we are very far behind in our cricket, but what we (our players) must improve in is our technique, which has hampered our perfomance for an eternity.

We have focus on areas like that even more with matches which are irrelevant to us in this competition, like the match against Pakistan. We need to find a solution to the rotting of our middle order batting, which has been the bain of our perfomance both with the bat and the ball.

This has only been covered up by our bowlers playing a part-time (CONSISTANTLY) role of batting as well, which as a domino effect in taking the sting off their bowling.

The idea of ODI is for the batsmen to lay the perfect foundation for our BOWLERS to defend, this has not been the case, in our matches, whether in this tournament or for sometime. So we must focus on this area in greater detail than ever and maybe we might see an improvement in perfomance which would equal results.
Old July 25, 2004, 10:40 PM
Club Cricketer

Omar
Ashraful
Rajin
Alok
Manjural
Mushfiqur
Mashud
Rafique
Abdur
Tapash
Tareq
Old July 25, 2004, 11:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Default How to improve our performance

The year before winning the World Cup, 1995, Sri Lanka’s won 52% of their ODI matches. During their improvement curve has gone upward during the period of 1982-1995 from 20% to 50%. They beat almost every cricket-playing nation at least once; see the number of times they defeated others in the parentheses: England (1), Pakistan (6), Australia (2), India (4), New Zealand (2), W’indies (1), and Bangladesh (3). Much of the credits for this early success should be given to Madhugalle, de Mel, Dias, Mendis, and de Silva, etc. Ranatunga, who scored a fine century as an under-19 at Dhaka in late Seventies against Bangladesh, learned a lot of leadership from his senior team member, and single-handedly won the 1996 World Cup for his country.
Comparing our progress with Sri Lanka’s, I find that we do not have the likes of Mendis and Dias, who would consistently deliver a 50 + score, and further that Sri Lanka, the team as a whole, had played a lot more close games than we had.
Our bowling is now more disciplined and has improved to the extent that we, on a good day, can restrict a good team to 250-280. I want to echo with everybody else that our batting is dismal; typically 2 out of 7 batsmen perform - one with a half century and the other scoring somewhat 30/40. Once the upper order fails and the lower order, with the hope of winning the match vanished, delivers an average score of 20 for each. As we have seen in our latest win with Zimbabwe, in which Bashar clicked, we cannot compete in ODI’s with one of the upper order shining.
A few thoughts:
(1) Moving Bashar down the order at 4 or 5 so that he knows the consequences of playing the risky shots better.
(2) Moving Asharful down the order. My observation is only time he plays better is when his fellow opener and, 1-down and 2-down fail miserably.
(3) Among Rajin-Alok-Faisal-Rana-Mushfiq, we need to pick the three who are in-form, and put rest under observation, and then if possible, insert ones from the under-19, such as Nafees or Aftab, and experiment.
(4) Khaled Mahmood has been heralded as a fighter but his performance with both ball and bat makes us look for a substitute.
(5) We desperately need two pacers in the team. That means pairing someone with Tapash until Masri is available and/or under-19 Rajib or Nadif Choudhury are found to be mature enough for the national side.
(6) It would not be unreasonable to let Pilot pilot us and give Shumon a break to focus on his batting
(7) Rafiq is showing sign of aging, but if Razaak’s bowling action can be corrected in time we would be fine.
I remain optimistic. We are expecting Javed, Shumon, Hannan, and Pilot to perform like the Madhugalle, de Mel, Dias, Mendis, and de Silva of the Eighties’ Sri Lanka. We Hope that Ashraful would mature like a Ranatunga. But for now to keep our test status and prevent from being relegated to the “second tier,” we need at least one more pacer in the team, and also need to think about the infusion of one or two reliable batsmen, if necessary from the under-19 squad.
Old July 26, 2004, 09:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Haradhon, I have just one single comment (not so important) on your post. You mentioned the following: ".... single-handedly won the 1996 World Cup for his country. ", while writing about Ranatunga. If you mean that as a captian that is OK, but if you mean that as a player it would have to be Aravinda de Sliva, plus Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana. Actually, it was a team effort, but Ranatunga was a great captain.
Old July 26, 2004, 10:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

International tournaments are where one plays to win. These are not the right forum to learn, experiment, correct one's technique etc. This is where the BCB has to play a proactive role. They are taking steps to ensure BD participation in glamour events viz World Cup, Asia Cup, Test matches etc. but one would like them to take equal interest in developing future talent which will be able to hold their own in the international stage. One way is of course to play more frequently with A teams of leading nations.

Supply of players for national team comes from the ranks of A teams. A teams also require supply which should come from U-19 as well as first class levels. It appears that the domestic first class srtucture is not in a position to throw up enough suitable players for the higher levels of cricket.

If one does not have inhouse expertise than one has to look outside. BD already has foreign experts in place as coaches for their senior and junior teams.Similarly if enough first class competition is not available in house to hone one's skill then one should look outside to seek such competition.

BD should seriously consider sending a team to participate in the domestic tournaments of other countries. In fact they can have different teams participating in the domestic first class tournaments of different countries.If it is felt that there may not be big enough pool of first class players to send different teams to different countries, they should start by sending a team to one country. From logistical and financial considerations and from the point of view of gaining experience, Indian domestic cricket should be just the right opportunity for this team.

In Indian first class domestic cricket viz Ranji Trophy, teams are divided into elite and plate groups.Elite group with 15 teams include the top teams such as Mumbai( Tendulkar's team), West Bengal( Ganguly),Tamilnadu(Balaji), Karnataka(Dravid), Baroda( Pathan) etc. Plate group with 12 teams have teams such as Orissa(S.S.Das),Kerala(Tinu Yohanan) etc. Based on performance two top teams from the plate group are promoted to the elite group and the two bottom ranked teams from the elite group are relegated to the plate group for the next year.

Let BCB arrange for the team to play in the Ranji trophy, starting from the plate group. No ego please because If they are good enough for the elite group, they will be promoted to the elite group anyway in the next season. Every year, the team is assured to play at least half a dozen first class matches as well as one day matches against some tough teams. Even the plate group teams are quite strong and they contribute players for India A and U-19 teams if not the test teams. This should offer the BD XI much stiffer competition than they will get otherwise.

The only other country that offers such a competition will be England but one is not sure if they will be that accomodating. Moreover financially and logistically it may not be feasible as a long term solution.

In addition, BD XI may play against India Ranji teams located nearer BD, e.g. West Bengal and Assam (both are elite teams at present) on an annual basis. Full Sri Lanka team used to play such an annual match with the neighbouring Indian state of Tamilnadu before their test status days for what was called as M.J.Gopalan trophy. In fact full Sri Lanka team used to play 'test matches' against India A in those days which were taken quite seriously in both countries and given wide media coverage. These matches helped Sri Lanka develop some top class talent viz. Roy Dias, Madugalle, Duleep Mendis,Ashanta De Mel etc who were ready for test status when SL got it in 1982. Of course they had started to win in ODIs before that.
Old July 26, 2004, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Playing in the Ranji Trophy, paying Kenya and other test "A" teams more, playing our national players in our own first class competition more - all of these ideas have been thrown around for years (taking nothing away from posts here). Actually, the team has played in the Busta Cup (WI) as well as in the Pak first class tournament (last year) - so some of these ideas have been implemented.

I think at the end of the day our own first class structure is exceedingly poor. Until that is improved, we won't produce quality players, but only those with raw natural talent. It will take some time to do that and no matter how much more cricket this current team plays, we may need to wait for the next set of players to see marked improvement.
Old July 26, 2004, 12:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think at the end of the day our own first class structure is exceedingly poor.
Actually, I was thinking about doing a survey of our infrastructure and compare it to the infrastructures of the rest of the test playing nations.

What factors do you people think count when we are doing such comparisons?
Old July 26, 2004, 12:21 PM
Cricket Guru

factors are:
1) players frm other nations are hard
working
2) not lazy
3) not corrupted
4) don't have to think about money and
putting them in savings accounts for
family
5) physically stronger
6) mentaliy stronger