facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old November 3, 2009, 01:21 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

duro........eita ki bollen Auntu bhai?

ami open kormu ni?

Old November 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98

ami open kormu ni?
nadimer haat nish fish kortese...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 3, 2009, 01:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98

ami open kormu ni?
দ্রুত করো। নইলে ওবায়েদ ভাই হয়তো খুলতে বাধ্য হবেন।
Old November 3, 2009, 02:52 PM
First Class Cricketer

Did the curator poured Khati Narkel Tel(coconut oil) from Chittagong Beach in the peach?
Old November 3, 2009, 03:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=112583
Wicket not ideal for ODIs

BEGINNING OF THE END: Bangladesh paceman Nazmul Hossain (C) celebrates taking the wicket of Zimbabwe captain Hamilton Masakadza (not in picture) with teammate Tamim Iqbal during the fourth one-day international at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium yesterday. Nazmul sparked a miraculous batting collapse for the tourists as they were shot out for 44, the fifth lowest total ever.Photo: AFPBishwajit Roy from Chittagong

Apart from the coloured clothing it looked almost like a Test match was going on when Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan operated his slow bowlers with two slip fielders and the men at the silly positions during the fourth one-dayer against Zimbabwe at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium yesterday.

The home skipper's aggressive field was because the spinners were surprisingly getting good purchase from the track to wrap up the Zimbabwean innings for 44 runs, a best bowling performance for the Tigers after they had dismissed Hong Kong for 105 runs in 2004 Asia Cup in Colombo, although there had a predications from all corner before the match that it would be a good batting track.

Bangladesh top order batsmen did also struggle a little bit to achieve the tiny target but it was ultimately an easy win, in a match which lasted only 36.4 overs, for the home side to confirm the series victory, their fourth consecutive series victory in this year, but it was not the Tigers series victory rather the talking point was the pitch after the match.

The behaviour of the track bamboozled everybody and reminded how risky it is to predict on a track.
The pitch offered plenty of turn and movement, mainly because of early moisture, but it could not only be blamed for the fifth lowest total as the poor shot selections were also reasons behind the debacle not only for Zimbabwe batsmen but also for the local batters. Things could have been much worse for the visitors, who holds the embarrassing lowest one-day total of 35 they made against Sri Lanka at Harare in 2004, had the home side fielders not floored three catches.

But both Bangladesh skipper Shakib and stand-in Zimbabwe captain Hamilton Masakadza had the same opinion that this kind of track was not ideal for one-day cricket.

“When we started playing, we thought it was a flat track but when our spinners came in it was doing a bit and they landed the ball in the right areas. If you look at the result then I guess it's not an ideal one-day track. For a one-day match you would want a pitch where 260-270 runs would be scored and teams would lose by 10-15 runs or win by three wickets. That's the ideal scenario,” said Shakib.

“We certainly did not expect it to turn so much and I am sure Zimbabwe also didn't either. There was sharp turn and the balls that went straight skidded. As all their top order batters were right-handers and our first three spinners were left-armers therefore we had a better chance of getting a result,” he added.
“It was a surprise for all of us to find that much turn. Even umpire Aleem Dar said that going by the look of the wicket it wasn't supposed to have so much spin. I think the early morning moisture had an impact especially with the covers taken of early. It certainly helped the ball grip,” continued the all-rounder.
But Shakib was happy with the outcome at the end.

“But as I have said earlier we have won the series and that's the most important thing. You have got to remember that we are playing at home so we should have home advantage. We know that it will not be that easy for our batsmen to adjust to seaming pitches and therefore wickets are prepared keeping in mind the strength of the home team. When we go to New Zealand we may have three or even four pacers in the playing eleven. It is totally dependent on the conditions. If there is a scope for taking home advantage who wouldn't take it?, “ he said defended the condition.

He also said that the mood was excellent after they dismissed a team for the lowest total against Bangladesh.

“It's a wonderful feeling to be able to bowl out a side for 44. It doesn't happen everyday. I also wanted a 10-wicket win which I think we haven't had before. Disappointed that it didn't happen. Maybe next time! The mood in the dressing room was unique,” he said adding that losing the toss was a blessing in disguise
Masakadza however blamed both the character of the surface and his batsmen's reckless batting.

" It looked like a good batting track but it was too slow for a one day wicket. We misread the wicket today, it was slower than we thought. We did give wickets away, which is something we have been doing throughout the series. It is really disappointing that we are 3-1 down after going one up in the series" said the Zimbabwean stand-in skipper adding that it was not an ideal track for 50-over match.
It was however a special moment for Nazmul Hossain who got the man of the match award despite the spinners dictating terms.

“It is quite understandable that we would have more spinners as that's our strength. I am always happy if I get results. It means the hard work has paid off. It is not fun bowling on flat wickets if you are a pace bowler but I that also makes me more responsible,” said Nazmul, the lone pacer in the match.
Old November 3, 2009, 03:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
tamim and naeem both threw their wickets away. junaid and ashraful were just beaten by turn or the surprising lack of it on that particular delivery - i.e its the pitches fault.
Tamim and Naeem got out because both were pathetic against turning deliveries. Zunaed got out because he could not read a googly. Ashraful was just plumb. All were out because of their technical deficiencies.

Stop complaining about the pitch, it was no worse than pitches we had seen in WI. But our batsmen looked worse than how Windies batsmen looked against our spinnners.
Old November 3, 2009, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

when are we going to nz again?
Old November 3, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cricket Guru

For once, I agree with Siddons -

কিন্তু বাংলাদেশ কোচ জেমি সিডন্স বলছেন পুরো অন্য কথা। চট্টগ্রাম বিভাগীয় স্টেডিয়ামের উইকেট দেখে আগের দিন ভবিষ্যদ্বাণী করেছিলেন, ‘বিগ স্কোরিং ম্যাচ হবে।’ কাল সেটা নিয়ে রসিকতা করতেই সিডন্স বললেন, ‘আমি অত বোকা নই। বিগ স্কোরিং ম্যাচই হওয়া উচিত ছিল।’ তাহলে হলো না কেন? সিডন্সের জবাবটা ফেলে দিতে পারবেন না কেউই, ‘কিউরেটরকে দোষ দিয়ে লাভ নেই। এটা ফ্ল্যাট উইকেট। ও ঠিক কাজই করেছে। জিম্বাবুয়ের ব্যাটিং ব্যর্থতার কারণ সকালের ময়েশ্চার। আর আমরা চার উইকেট হারিয়েছি বাজে শট খেলে।’ সিডন্স মনে করেন, জিম্বাবুয়ের কম রানে অলআউট হয়ে যাওয়ার আরেকটা কারণ বাংলাদেশি স্পিনারদের ভালো বোলিং। ‘ঢাকায় তো সবাই স্পিন উইকেট বানাতে বলে। তাহলে এখানে স্পিনাররা সফল হলে এত কথা কেন?’—স্বগতোক্তির মতো প্রশ্ন বাংলাদেশ কোচের।

উইকেট নিয়ে জাতীয় দলের সাবেক ক্রিকেটার ও বর্তমানে টেলিভিশন ধারাভাষ্যকার আতহার আলী খানের মতটাও সিডন্সের মতোই, ‘উইকেট ওয়ানডে উপযোগী কি না, সেটা বোঝার সময় পেলাম কই? তবে আমার কাছে মনে হয়েছে উইকেট ঠিকই আছে। শট খেলার মতো বাউন্স ছিল। ব্যাটসম্যানরা রান করতে পারেনি বাজে শট খেলে আউট হয়ে যাওয়ায়। তা ছাড়া সকালের দিকে উইকেটের ময়েশ্চারটাই ঝামেলায় ফেলেছে জিম্বাবুয়ে ব্যাটসম্যানদের।’

সিরিজের আগের তিনটা ম্যাচই হয়েছে দিবারাত্রির। দিনের ম্যাচ হলো কালই প্রথম। ঘড়ির কাঁটার বর্তমান সময় সকাল সাড়ে ৯টায় শুরু হয়েছে খেলা। তার মানে আগের সময় অনুযায়ী সকাল সাড়ে আটটায়। শীতের শুরুতে সকাল সাড়ে আটটায় উইকেটের যে রূপ থাকে, সেটা বদলানোর ক্ষমতা কি আর কোনো কিউরেটরেরই আছে?

http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/da...-04/news/17049
Old November 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Tamim and Naeem got out because both were pathetic against turning deliveries. Zunaed got out because he could not read a googly. Ashraful was just plumb. All were out because of their technical deficiencies.

Stop complaining about the pitch, it was no worse than pitches we had seen in WI. But our batsmen looked worse than how Windies batsmen looked against our spinnners.
dude, you must have been watching a replay of the 4th ODI in bulaway from last series. the match from the current series was played in chittagong, not bulawayo! it was on a pitch with ridiculous amounts of turn. the WI ODI pitches were nowhere near that gripping (i was at warner park in st kitts live), and the test pitches didn't offer that much turn even on day 4 or 5. might i remind you that ODIs are played on day 1? stuart matsikenyeri was getting the ball to deviate at least 6-8 inches, so was price. cremer was extracting turn of at least 10-12 inches. if that is not a turning pitch, than nothing is.

yes, i too wanted a 10 wicket win. but lets face it, we're a) not that good yet and b) the pitch was a howler.

zimbabwean batsmen might not be class, but they're not that bad. they've played scores of matches and rarely folded for under 50 even against the likes of murali, mendis, etc. if our guys did it - and i'm not trying to take anything away from shakib and razzak and enam (they're all good spinners) - then, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out its probably in the pitch.

let me remind you that we've faced the same bowlers before, with the same batsmen, who had the same or greater technical deficiencies, and they've rarely folded for 49-4. yes they did that earlier in the year, but that was totally a lack of shot selection, NOT the pitch. this time it was the pitch.

if every tom, dick, and harry could come to the crease and score double centuries against even no name spinners extracting 6-12 inches of turn, then you and i would probably be a whole richer and more famous by now.

if you still think it wasn't the pitch, do you think it was the ball? or maybe it was the air?

i'm not trying to suggest that ash and junaid were not beaten due to technical deficiencies. but i'd like to make two points: the first being thats the whole point of turn/swing/seam/etc to probe away at any batsman's technique. even a technically sound batsmen can be beaten, and at any time, early in the innings you've just come out to the crease, later in the innings fatigue takes its toll. ashraful's technique against spin can't be that bad. the man has made a habit of tonking murali in test cricket and has done it in the 4th innings as well. and you know what? i'll bet those balls weren't turning as much as matsikenyeri was today. i'll put any amount of money on it, if i were a betting man. the second point is that it had to be the pitch, since all other variables are constant from nearly all other matches. batsmen, bowlers, ball, air, venue, weather, et all are all constant. only variables are outcome and the pitch. hence it has to be the pitch. it can't be anything else.

#OneTeam1Dream

Last edited by al Furqaan; November 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM..
Old November 3, 2009, 11:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Asad, bro I don't think you watch matches carefully enough whether from ground or from tv. Shakib and Co found plenty of turn during first day of 2nd Test in WI, because of moisture in pitch (which was the same case yesterday).

And no, modern day pitches don't break down and offer greater turn on day 4 or 5 - they actually become flatter and more batting friendly then. We talked about it many times here in this forum.

Spinners found good amount of turns from the pitch yesterday, no doubt about that. But seldom it was the turn that got wickets yesterday (in either innings). Rather it was the rush shots from batsmen of both sides that got them out. Everyone came prepared to blaze all their guns, no one was willing to grind out runs. Footwork from batsmen of both sides were non-existent, and situation was worsened by poor shot selections.

Zimbabwe at least had the excuse that early morning (it was actually 8:30 AM in Bangladeshi winter, if not for Bangladeshi government refusing to reverse the clock)moisture helped our bowlers. Our batsmen got out trying to play pull or sweep shots that they are far from mastering.

Agreed that Ashraful got out too early in the innings to be judged, but then again I don't remember watching him ever so plumb. I thought Siddons was helping him to improve his reflex!

Ask someone to re-translate what Siddons told Prothom-Alo, he does not think either that the pitch was too bad during BD innings!

Last edited by Eshen; November 3, 2009 at 11:36 PM..
Old November 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Asad, bro I don't think you watch matches carefully enough whether from ground or from tv. Shakib and Co found plenty of turn during first day of 2nd Test in WI, because of moisture in pitch (which was the same case yesterday).

And no, modern day pitches don't break down and offer greater turn on day 4 or 5 - they actually become flatter and more batting friendly then. We talked about it many times here in this forum.

Spinners found good amount of turns from the pitch yesterday, no doubt about that. But seldom it was the turn that got wickets yesterday (in either innings). Rather it was the rush shots from batsmen of both sides that got them out. Everyone came prepared to blaze all their guns, no one was willing to grind out runs. Footwork from batsmen of both sides were none existent, and situation was worsened by poor shot selections.

Zimbabwe at least had the excuse that early morning (it was actually 8:30 AM in Bangladeshi winter, if not for Bangladeshi government refusing to reverse the clock)moisture helped our bowlers. Our batsmen got out trying to play pull or sweep shots that they are far from mastering.

Agreed that Ashraful got out too early in the innings to be judged, but then again I don't remember watching him ever so plumb. I thought Siddons was helping him to improve his reflex!
yes there was turn in WI tests, but even then i would not hesitate for a second to say that the turn on offer today in chittagong was more than the turn in those matches. shakib was getting 6 inches of turn say in WI, and here was getting 8-10 inches. there was at least 2-4 inches of turn more on thsi wicket than WI test wickets. everyone was surprised by the wicket, it must be added. the commies, the players, sakib, mazakadza. no one was expecting such a wicket. it wasn't a 44 wicket for sure, but this was a track where even a top side would struggle to score 220 runs against mediocre spinners.

the thing with turn as with swing or seam, is that often its not the actual movement which gets a batsmen out. think about it, even on a an extremely seaming condition, if every ball moves even 12 inches, there is no variation. the batsman will be soon enough become accustomed to that movement. everything is relative. this is why variations are so important. it catches people off guard. this is why a bouncer followed by a yorker is so potent. if all you did was fire in yorkers, it wouldn't work. thats why the slower ball works, think about it, a slower ball should actually be easier to play! but its not. why? cuz of the change up. same thing with an inswinger preceeded by 3 or 4 outswingers. same with turn. its that odd delivery which either fails to turn, or is a deliberate arm ball or top spinner/googly that got ash and junaid out. there isn't much to discuss about tamim or naeem's dismissals. tamim i feel is a much better player of spin than he was before and just got out to a combination of a rash shot and a great diving catch.

even on a flat wicket, a good team can be expected to perhaps lose 1 or even 2 wickets in a chase of 45. we didn't play on no flat wicket, and coupled with our known quality, a 4 wicket win is disappointing, but in the end something which we should expect.

i'm not saying i am satisfied, i'm just saying i'm not overly disappointed. but i for one do not want to watch another match on this track. its fine every now and then to see batsmen get their butts kicked, but i want to see us either pile on 300 (which we did twice in bulawayo) or at least score 240-250 on a sporting wicket. today's pitch wasn't even sporting, it was comletely spinner friendly.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 4, 2009, 01:50 AM
Cricket Guru

I agree with Siddons too. ZIM batters are not up to the standard to face BD spinners. This is the reality. Their batting is very much below par except Masakadza. Coventry can play strokes but he has severe technical limitations.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Vermeulen looked pretty comical.

It was pretty surprising indeed (the extravagant turn produced by the pitch), given that there were no cracks and few rough areas - it looked more like a flat, batting surface. The only factor that I can think of is the moisture content, but then the pitch would have to be loaded and stickier than sticky rice to produce that kind of turn without many cracks or crumbles.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifthemanrahman
vermeulen looked pretty comical.

It was pretty surprising indeed (the extravagant turn produced by the pitch), given that there were no cracks and few rough areas - it looked more like a flat, batting surface. The only factor that i can think of is the moisture content, but then the pitch would have to be loaded and stickier than sticky rice to produce that kind of turn without many cracks or crumbles.
এটি (পিচ) হয়ে থাকবে এই বছরের সবথেকে রহস্যময় বস্তু।
যেন অষ্টাদশী তরুনীর তরঙ্গায়িত মন।