facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 17, 2007, 01:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default latest Test player rankings updates

* ashraful is the top ranked BD batsmen, i think this the first time bashar has been knocked off.

Batting Rankings:

Name
Country
Rating
Career Best

Mohammad Ashraful BAN 489 491 v Sri Lanka, 03/07/2007
Habibul Bashar BAN 483 656 v Pakistan, 03/09/2003
Shahriar Nafees BAN 468 478 v Australia, 16/04/2006
Rajin Saleh BAN 424 475 v Sri Lanka, 25/06/2007

bowling rankings:

Mohammad Rafiq BAN 452 587 v Zimbabwe, 06/01/2005
Mashrafe bin Mortaza BAN 415 459 v India, 18/05/2007
Enamul Haque jnr BAN 271 382 v Zimbabwe, 14/01/2005
Shahadat Hossain BAN 254 275 v Sri Lanka, 03/07/2007
Syed Rasel BAN 185 186 v Sri Lanka, 08/03/2006

given that nowadays each team goes in with 7 batsmen, and 4 bowlers, if we multiply the number of elite teams (8) times each number we get 56 batsmen and 32 bowlers.

i.e. if any player is in the top 56 batting list (ashraful, bashar, nafees) or top 32 bowlers list (none), then he can rightfully be claimed as a "class" player. this means he could, without much exagerration, play for any Test sides first XI.

so far only ashraful, bashar, and nafees merit this distinction for BD, whilst rafique and mashrafee are certainly quite close, and would make it if any team opted for a "5 bowler" strategy (as India does often times).

* bashar's highest ranking ever was 24th
* ash's 42nd
* rajin 48 (thus being another class batsmen, in theory)

* rafiq 18 (class, or at least used to be)
* mash 30 (class bowler)
* rasel 54
* enam 40 (but achieved against minnow ZIM)
* rajib 51

#OneTeam1Dream

Old July 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
Cricket Sage

bashar has slipped a long long ways...from a best of 656 all the way down to 483

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 17, 2007, 02:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

I don't know, some countries have more depth than others, there are bound to be players better than some on that list that haven't played test cricket. if those players got the chance to play test cricket they'd quite possibly push some already in that top 56 down the list.
Old July 17, 2007, 02:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

interesting way to classify the batsmen... although thats as far as classification by numbers would go. Consider the skill level of other Test teams, then our players arent likely to get chance in the first XI, except for Ashraful. Nafees and Mushfiq can also be argued for, while Mashrafe is potentially an automatic and the only choice amongst our bowlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
I don't know, some countries have more depth than others, there are bound to be players better than some on that list that haven't played test cricket. if those players got the chance to play test cricket they'd quite possibly push some already in that top 56 down the list.
Yep.
Old July 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
well there isn't room for everybody...so even if those guys with more depth played, it wouldn't decrease our players rankings at all...in fact it might help (there is a reason why those players aren't in their nation's first XI)

but i understand your point, yes there are better players than our guys waiting in the wings in other countries, but at the same time these LG rankings are purely mathematical. you can't argue against the rating points or the ranking thereof.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

mods, please merge this thread with thread no # 21494
Old July 17, 2007, 02:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

man.. kobe je Ashraful ke top 20 te dekhbo....... halai khali 40 er ghore thake..... test o nai amader in next 6 months.. i want to see at least 2/3 batsmen in top 20 by the end of NZ series....
Old July 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
First Class Cricketer

Sangakkara is #3 with 900 points, ahead of KP, and 15 points behind M Yousef.
Old July 17, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhika_s
Sangakkara is #3 with 900 points, ahead of KP, and 15 points behind M Yousef.
and well deserved, too. Sangakkara is one of my favorite players (except when he is playing BD, )

And the man at number 1 ... well, he is an enigma.

Kon jomanai Bashar 24 chilo? Haire manush rongin fanush...
Old July 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
man.. kobe je Ashraful ke top 20 te dekhbo....... halai khali 40 er ghore thake..... test o nai amader in next 6 months.. i want to see at least 2/3 batsmen in top 20 by the end of NZ series....
Very simple and you can do it today. All you have to do is close your eyes and start dreaming.
Old July 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
well there isn't room for everybody...so even if those guys with more depth played, it wouldn't decrease our players rankings at all...in fact it might help (there is a reason why those players aren't in their nation's first XI)

but i understand your point, yes there are better players than our guys waiting in the wings in other countries, but at the same time these LG rankings are purely mathematical. you can't argue against the rating points or the ranking thereof.
not exactly sure what you're saying here..... but to give an example, someone like David Hussey (mike hussey's younger brother) would pretty much be guaranteed a spot in any test side other than australia. the reason he hasn't made the aussie test side is because there is too much depth to make the team, not because he isn't good enough to play test cricket. these players could potentially (we're never going to truly know unless they do play test cricket) rack up more rating points and therefore rank higher than some of the players already in that ranking system, that would mean some players on the list would have to be doing better than they are currently to achieve the rank they've currently been given, and if they don't then they'd be pushed down the list....
Old July 17, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
not exactly sure what you're saying here..... but to give an example, someone like David Hussey (mike hussey's younger brother) would pretty much be guaranteed a spot in any test side other than australia. the reason he hasn't made the aussie test side is because there is too much depth to make the team, not because he isn't good enough to play test cricket. these players could potentially (we're never going to truly know unless they do play test cricket) rack up more rating points and therefore rank higher than some of the players already in that ranking system, that would mean some players on the list would have to be doing better than they are currently to achieve the rank they've currently been given, and if they don't then they'd be pushed down the list....
correct,

but lets suppose D Hussey does play hypothetically speaking...and achieves a rank high rank, lets say a top 15 rating. then somone who is currently on the top 15 would fall out of the ratings. which means essentially that it doesn't matter who plays or not. the top 15 will be the top 15 regardless of their name.

im not saying that D Hussey is not Test grade, but he isn't good enough to force his way into the OZ first XI thats for sure. he may even be good enough to play tests for OZ, but he's not better than the current group of core batsmen which is why he isn't there.

but one thing is for certain, there can only be a maximum of 7 batsmen per Test side, and given 8 top sides, that means the top 56 batting spots are a good place for any Bangladeshi batsmen to be in.

the depth or lack of depth in any other nation means nothing. it would mean something if ash was ranked number 45 and the rest of batsmen were scrubs from the top sides.

being ranked 45 is a decent achievement (of course our boys shouldnt be satisfied by that as an ultimate goal) because we know that the 44 batsmen above ashraful really are classy Test batsmen.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 17, 2007, 08:47 PM
Cricket Guru

the problem with these rankings is that they don't include all first-class players. they only include test players, so these rankings are somewhat false in terms of being able to say anyone in the top 56 should be able to get a run in any test side. being ranked as one of the top 56 test players is a nice achievement, but a better achievement is to be ranked as one of the world's top 56 first-class players. then a player could truly say they'd be able to make any 1st XI test team.
Old July 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
the problem with these rankings is that they don't include all first-class players. they only include test players, so these rankings are somewhat false in terms of being able to say anyone in the top 56 should be able to get a run in any test side. being ranked as one of the top 56 test players is a nice achievement, but a better achievement is to be ranked as one of the world's top 56 first-class players. then a player could truly say they'd be able to make any 1st XI test team.
yes i admit, i was wrong to assume that anyone in the top 56 would automatically garner a test spot on any side...tho theoretically it holds true. but that theory is quite meaningless.

still, those who play tests will always get referred to as "better" batsmen than those who don't.

plus, i am sure those FC players will get a chance to play tests while ash, nafees, and company are still playing to settle the answer once and for all.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 17, 2007, 09:59 PM
Cricket Guru

i think the theory is quite valid if the rankings included all first class players and not just test players because it would be a bit more accurate as to who is in the top 56, though i agree it would still be quite meaningless. i agree that generally test players will always get referred to as better players. as for whether those FC players will get a chance to prove how good they are at test level i'm not sure they will, some of them probably will but there are always those players who are consistently on the verge of playing test cricket but never quite make it. i wasn't just referring to players in the bangladesh team either, there are players in other teams where say a david hussey would be better than as well, and i'm positive other nations (other than australia) also have a couple of players who have the ability to make the test team in another country but haven't played test cricket for their own (so far).

anyway in terms of talent imo ashraful and nafees can certainly become competent test players and possibly be considered in the future as pretty high calibre players, here's hoping.
Old July 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
Street Cricketer

Bangladesh have shown no consistency in test matches till today.

Bad Points I would like to display about the bangladeshi batsman.
Very poor defence for most of them.excluding ash mushfiq and rajin.
impatient.
cannot stay at the crease for long.
very little concentrartion.
Does not enjoy the game.Too tensed.
cannot time the shots well.

BANGLADESHI TALENT HAS NOT SHOWN PROMISE.

People like ash,aftab,bashar,shahriar could be by now be one of the finest batsman in the world.
But they failed to do so.
Old July 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
Street Cricketer

Defence has been their main problem and i hope they can master in this.
Lets take the example of a sri lankan bowler Chaminda Vaas.Though he is a bowler by nature he got a hundred against bangladesh because of his excellent defence.
So the ash and aftabs of BD can take this example in their mind and master the art of defence.
Old July 19, 2007, 12:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
in order for that to happen Ashraful must score two consecutive back to back centuries. is it possible for him?