facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 26, 2004, 12:25 PM
Club Cricketer

SS, our team performed badly this time , it doesnt mean that theyll never perform well again... All countries go through a bad patch (even though our country has gone through an exceptionally long one). Your last post disgusted me because not only did you put down their efforts in the field but also their social standings and all...

Old July 26, 2004, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

As soon as S.S. writes stuff against our team we tend to perform better that is proven in the West Indies tour.

Now can we spoil paki party? Why not

Old July 26, 2004, 04:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Hi Arnab,

This is some of the variables that I thought of. Some of them may not be relevant for what you are looking for, but you may want to think about the rest.

Anyway here is my list (not necessarily exhaustive);

1. # of 1-day and 3-day /4-day matches a player plays in domestic cricket
2. # of teams in our first class matches
3. # of tournaments
4. # of players playing these matches cross-classified by their status – i.e. whether they have represented the national team in ODI/test matches
5. I don’t know how this could be done, but if we could know the number of teams that are strong. Meaning, if we have 12 teams may be only, 4 teams are strong enough. So a strong team may be encountering tough opposition only from 3 others, while the remaining 8 may be very soft opponents.
6. It would also be interesting to compare the performance of our national team players at the international level versus the domestic level. You could take the averages and see if there is any correlation. Or one could test if the averages at the international level are significantly different from those at the domestic level. May be, I am digressing here. If you do the hard work of collecting the data, may be I could do some analysis.
7. Income data (or some proxy measure of that) for the fulltime professional cricketers could also be interesting. In order to compare with other countries’ players you could either rank players’ income within each country or scale the data by per-capita national income or something like that.
8. # (rather proportion) of international standard pitches that our players play on
9. Coaching/training available for non-national team players
10. Proportion of international standard Bangladeshi umpires officiating in local matches.
Old July 26, 2004, 04:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

One more point: Some measure of physical fitness would be helpful.
Old July 27, 2004, 02:27 AM
Test Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by Zephaniah
Like I said in my earlier post I strongly believe playing A-team maches is the only way forward to develop fringe players and matured/talented U-19 players. Here I'll try to select 15 more players for the A-team based on my personal observation and inform players who would have good consistant performance with A-team would get a nod ahead of useless/out-of-form national team players in the national squad.

1. Shahrier Hussain
2. Nafiz Iqbal
3. Hannan Sarkar
4. Al-Shahrier Rokon
5. Tushar Imran
6. Dhiman Ghosh (w/k)
7. TBC. I would love to have an orthodox
off-spinner here , any suggestion? Naimur Rahman?
8. Enamul Haque
9. Md. Sharif
10. Talha Jubaer
11. Shahadat Hussain
12. Nafees Ahmed
13. Nadif Chaudury
14. Aftab Ahmed
15. TBC

Some players in this team may get selected for the national team soon. But I think we should have a systematic selection policy. For example best performing U-19s will get selected for the A-team first, then for the national team subject to their performance. Thus we'll have players ready for international ckicket and reduce any chances to choke in match situation as they would have played enough matches in diferent situation/conditions.

Barring Mashrafee i would not like to see anyone get selected for the national team just after having a lengthy lay off due to injury. Our players are no exception than other internationals who takes some time to get match fitness back.

I'm reasonably happy with my first eleven, though i'll try to search for a off-spinner at no.7 preferably who's a decent bat too. Nafees Ahmed and Nadif Chaudury would be selected for the A-team if they do well consistantly in the U-19 England tour as they are doing now. BD's next assignment is to play in the British Isles ( Ireland, Scotland then Champions trophy in England). So touring U-19 team's performance will be closly monitored. For 3/4 days match I'll drop Tushar and include Hannan for the final eleven.

Please fell free to comment on this post.

good thinking..... im sure this A team will perform better than the senior team, if the selection policies are strictly maintained. Meantime, I still believe Bangladesh needs a psychological advisor to boost their players mental strength. i pointed-out this after the tour of zimbabway, but many of you people disagreed with me. now whatmore is also saying players lacks confidence than techniques. so, this area is also to be worked-out if the board is very serious about to prepare a fighting bangladesh team
Old July 27, 2004, 01:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

bat good..play good
Old July 27, 2004, 03:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Dog Gone !!

Quote:
Originally posted by nishy
bat good..play good
Wow Nishy, a post that doesn't involve Canines?
What happ? Your doggies gave you a day off from the marketing campaign ?
Old July 27, 2004, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BushidoTiger
Quote:
Originally posted by nishy
bat good..play good
Your doggies gave you a day off from the marketing campaign ?
Old July 27, 2004, 04:16 PM
Club Cricketer

Lacking in Mental strength
Our batsmen have to mentally set a target of what they are to achieve in the middle and each player should try his best to play his role. As for the bowling we need to think the batsmen out, no point bowling just good line and length we need to find out the weaknesses of opposition batsmen and bowl according to a plan with appropiate fielding placements. I think Bangladesh are lacking in Mental strength. We also have to mentally believe we are there on the field to win not to just make up the numbers and settle for second place. So come on boys prove me wrong in the match against Pakistan.

[Edited on 27-7-2004 by TAIF]
Old July 28, 2004, 01:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

How can we perform better?

Score more runs. Win wil follow.
Old July 28, 2004, 03:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TAIF
Lacking in Mental strength
Our batsmen have to mentally set a target of what they are to achieve in the middle and each player should try his best to play his role. As for the bowling we need to think the batsmen out, no point bowling just good line and length we need to find out the weaknesses of opposition batsmen and bowl according to a plan with appropiate fielding placements. I think Bangladesh are lacking in Mental strength. We also have to mentally believe we are there on the field to win not to just make up the numbers and settle for second place. So come on boys prove me wrong in the match against Pakistan.

[Edited on 27-7-2004 by TAIF]
mental strength ,,,, why this issue is not hot in any of discussions? if BCB take it seriously and try something to overcome the same, BD can perform 50% more than the present situation.