facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 31, 2006, 10:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Furqan bhai, well done.
May be in terms of religious bigotry, we Bangladeshies are less bigot than our neighbors. But not so much as your write up suggest (this is entirely my opinion). Those bigots we see here less is because of strong moderation. so those people quickly got banned. Also some of the most active members are more or less seculer. also FC is quite dead because vladmamu is not there to incite some hoted discussion on religion. I remember durring his time some of the members were banned after repeated warning. And I think, the thread of da vinchi code has to be locked for some time because it was going on the direction of hatred and bigotry to other religion.
i respectfully differ...

how many members got banned? dawah, is the only one anyone can really come up with a name. and he never mentioned genocide. the da vinci code thread, had 1 anti-christian poster, IIRC.

further, our BC members have hotly contested anti-islamic threads and posts, but have always maintained a higher level of decorum than anyone pakpassion or ICFer, whose posts reek with profanity.

our site is far superior to theirs, as well as our tolerance of minorities. we still have a long way to go, but in a 26 mile marathon, we are a good 10 miles ahead of the indians and pakistanis who are themselves a few yards apart.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old August 31, 2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i respectfully differ...

how many members got banned? dawah, is the only one anyone can really come up with a name. and he never mentioned genocide. the da vinci code thread, had 1 anti-christian poster, IIRC.

further, our BC members have hotly contested anti-islamic threads and posts, but have always maintained a higher level of decorum than anyone pakpassion or ICFer, whose posts reek with profanity.

our site is far superior to theirs, as well as our tolerance of minorities. we still have a long way to go, but in a 26 mile marathon, we are a good 10 miles ahead of the indians and pakistanis who are themselves a few yards apart.
Wow. now we see BC-nationalISM/patriotISM! Kind of reasserting how arrogance masquerades as himility, eh? Back to "my forum is better than yours"
Old August 31, 2006, 08:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Wow. now we see BC-nationalISM/patriotISM! Kind of reasserting how arrogance masquerades as himility, eh? Back to "my forum is better than yours"
you are god damn right, ammark, god damn right

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 31, 2006, 09:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Profiling entire nation on the basis of one fansite each is terribly superficial way of making valid observations. Pak Passion and ICF are the worst fan sites of these two countries containing rabid and intolerant teenagers.

Study some of the better fansites of Pakistan and India if you regard BC as a better site . There are Pakistani fan sites where Indians are members (including moderators) and there are Indian fansites where Pakistanis are members ( including moderators). And their quality of discussion is much much higher than PAk Passion,ICF or BC, and you cannot find any abusive hatefilled posts,WUMs etc. I will not mention any site names lest it will amount to advertising , interested posters may be able to locate them themselves.

It is a very superficial and erroneous way to brand an entire nation based on one fansite each.It is something like the racial profiling that Western world is indulging in now a days.

So read the analysis of AF as good fun and feel happy about that, but remember that the conclusions drawn may be way off the mark, because in none of the three countries, more than a very small fraction of population has regular access to internet.Most of the members in all these sites are invariably based outside their home countries, and it is not proper to take them as being the true representatives of the national mind sets of their countries. The vast population, that stays in these countries and represents these countries do not know what a cricket fansite is,leave alone they being members of any of these sites.
Old August 31, 2006, 11:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
5) a factor in bangladesh's continued lack of growth or retarded growth is that internally bangladeshis are much less united than both pakistanis and indians. it seems that pakis and indians as bigotted as they are, understand their national interests and are willing to act accordingly.
Great write-up overall. And this last bullet#5 just stands out. So true.

Btw, al Furqaan, are you a student or professional? (just curious)
Old September 1, 2006, 09:38 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

(on "my forum is better than yours")

I'm not sure whether BC Forum really qualifies as a true message board. How many message boards have almost equal ratio of regular posters and moderators like BC Forum?
Old September 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Great write-up overall. And this last bullet#5 just stands out. So true.

Btw, al Furqaan, are you a student or professional? (just curious)
i am a professional...professional everything...lol

i am a student...about to go to medical school in poland

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 4, 2006, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Profiling entire nation on the basis of one fansite each is terribly superficial way of making valid observations. Pak Passion and ICF are the worst fan sites of these two countries containing rabid and intolerant teenagers.
i will concede that it can and probably is an inaccurate analysis when viewed from that angle. however on the flip side...

Quote:
my original post
i do not know, nor do i claim to know, the exact societal situation in either india or pakistan (or even bangladesh for that matter). but i do believe that i have been blessed with a great brain (contrary to what my mother may think ) and can read between the lines quite perceptably.

i am basing my observations on my browsing indian and pakistani internet forums. this has added credibility than simply interviewing ppl in the streets of karachi or mumbai for the reason that internet access amongst indians and pakistanis is a relatively rare thing. being able to post in english means that the poster is at least decently educated and wealthy. perhaps they live in the relatively objective West (UK, US).

i also understand that my analysis is not completely unbiased, and any bias i have is unintentional as well as far less than most other ppl can achieve.
as for most posters being immature teens...there are business pros, medical doctors, and other 30-somethings on both sites. and they are the majority of members as well as the posters. 99% teens do not have the intellecutal fortitude to make the assertions that they do.

Quote:
Most of the members in all these sites are invariably based outside their home countries, and it is not proper to take them as being the true representatives of the national mind sets of their countries. The vast population, that stays in these countries and represents these countries do not know what a cricket fansite is,leave alone they being members of any of these sites.
very good point.

i admit that i am unaware of other paki or indian sites...the 2 sites i studied are just soooo fun to browse, who needs well constructed arguments, and a hate-less, amicable atmosphere?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 4, 2006, 01:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
(on "my forum is better than yours")

I'm not sure whether BC Forum really qualifies as a true message board. How many message boards have almost equal ratio of regular posters and moderators like BC Forum?
ratio or not...ours is still better, from aesthetic factors to content factors. by any indicator. we have far less profanity (not that i mind profanity), more well thought out posts, a much more dedicated and committed staff, et al.

plus ICF and PP don't have significantly more posters...they're just more addicted to their site (hard to imagine exceeding our addiction, but its true). a thread will achieve 200 posts in a matter of hours on either site...whereas the same thread on BC will get 20-30 posts. and all 3 sites will have only 12-15 posters contributing to the thread.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 4, 2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
plus ICF and PP don't have significantly more posters...they're just more addicted to their site (hard to imagine exceeding our addiction, but its true). a thread will achieve 200 posts in a matter of hours on either site...whereas the same thread on BC will get 20-30 posts. and all 3 sites will have only 12-15 posters contributing to the thread.
My. you certainly have a lot of time in your hands, dont you?
Old September 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
BC supremist to be exact ...