facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Default 5 years time

Simple thread, Simple question

Where do you see Bangladesh Cricket team in 5 years - Realistically, not we're going to be top 3 in the world - lets get realistic that's not going to happen.

Where do you guys see us ranked in ODI's, Test's and T20. How do you think other nation are going to view us as a team.

Personally I feel that we can get to a stage in Test cricket where we are viewed the same way we are viewed in ODI's now, In ODI's and T20's I think we can become a top 6/5 team when playing at home but still struggle away

Might be a bit Negative - Just trying to accurate in my Prediction - ofcourse if they did manage to be better than that, I would be delighted to be wrong.

Old June 6, 2012, 06:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Well hopefully in 5 years tamim, shakib and mushy will be really experienced and basically as good as any batsman in the world, rubel will hopefully be a quality test pacer by then, anamul could potentially have 5 years of experience if he's started now and shuvagata and mominul should be better than they are now so I see that in 5 years BD's batting could actually be really really strong, the bowling it's hard to say, depends on guys like abul and elias
Old June 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

In 5 years.....Bangladesh will be 4th in ODI rankings....3rd in T20 rankings and in TEST they will, wait a sec, test cricket wont be there cuz it will be dead by then
Old June 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

if last five years are any indication then half these boys will not be in the team.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I this with someone like RP around, we'll have less dead weight in the team and win more. Once we have the right players playing together for a few years, we can be:

1) Number 7 in Test rankings

2) Number 5 in ODI rankings

3) Number 7 in T20I rankings
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Haven't tamim, shakib, and mushy been in the team for the last 5 years? Rubel has been around for a number of years now, mash is always in if he's fit, shafiul has been in the team for a few years now and so has riyad, razzak has been in the one-day and t20 teams for years, we just need to find a couple more to stick around and it seems like nasir will be one anamul might be another to stick around and possibly mominul and shuvagata
Old June 6, 2012, 11:10 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

i dont know..in 2005 when we beat Australia i thought ashraful aftab will mature in 5 years and we'll have a very good solid team by 2010....*sigh*
Old June 6, 2012, 11:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i dont know..in 2005 when we beat Australia i thought ashraful aftab will mature in 5 years and we'll have a very good solid team by 2010....*sigh*
I don't get why your bringing in the AAA in this conversation and comparing them with Shakib-Tamim-Mushy. These are much more competent players. Tamim and Shakib are both world class players. Mushy is on the way there. I have confidence they'll sustain their success for a good period of time. The AAA were always inconsistent talents who hit 1 every 10 times
Old June 6, 2012, 11:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
I don't get why your bringing in the AAA in this conversation and comparing them with Shakib-Tamim-Mushy. These are much more competent players. Tamim and Shakib are both world class players. Mushy is on the way there. I have confidence they'll sustain their success for a good period of time. The AAA were always inconsistent talents who hit 1 every 10 times
+1 to that. I also believe that Nasir's generation and some of the surprises outside the BKSP system might be even better
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 7, 2012, 12:24 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I this with someone like RP around, we'll have less dead weight in the team and win more. Once we have the right players playing together for a few years, we can be:

1) Number 7 in Test rankings

2) Number 5 in ODI rankings

3) Number 7 in T20I rankings
I will go with

Number 8 in Test rankings
Number 7 in ODI rankings
Number 5 in T20I rankings
Old June 7, 2012, 12:40 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
i am not bringing AAA vs STM...i just responded to the OP that i dont know what will happen after 5 years..because in 2005 after the win vs AUS i dreamed a lot about BD team(not AAA) in 2010..sadly those dreams shattered(if you count out KiWiwash)
Old June 7, 2012, 12:44 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
I will go with

Number 8 in Test rankings
Number 7 in ODI rankings
Number 5 in T20I rankings
i dont know how the future will pan out but here goes my prediction

Test: Number 9(Still i dont see bowlers to take 20 wickets)

ODI: we have real prospects here..if everything goes according to plan we can be better then WI,NZ,SL after 5 years..but will odi survive?

T20: unpredictable format..anywhere between 7-9
Old June 7, 2012, 01:08 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

Test 9th
ODI and T20 about 7th

However I think the as long as they play enough games the big gap between 9th and 8th will be closed and Bangladesh will be with the pack, even if they don't move up. In ODIs I can't see the team become a star one yet but I can see them working their way up the rankings a bit due to their young side that are natural ODI players. I don't think this estimate is too harsh or too optimistic. And it would prove the team has made progress given how slow their first 10 years have been.
Old June 7, 2012, 01:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Bangladesh 2014 WC Champion
Old June 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Bangladesh 2014 WC Champion
You mean t20?

Because the other WC is in 2015
Old June 7, 2012, 02:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Well, in 5 years time, I hope we are able to dominate atleast foreign non-subcontinental teams like how sachin owns aus in this innings, and hopefully we have a world class batsman taking those bowlers to the cleaners infront of a crescendo of full house, and not like a dozen people's clapping like jaya's 100 or sanga'100 at galle or kandy. Teams should want to visit us, because of the challenges we'll provide, and the huge crowds that'll make it a much more attractive affair. Come on, thats one of the major reason why test cricket is exciting to watch in australia, england, and india, and (previously west indies), so hopefully bangladesh will justify it's cricketing madness by people flocking us to see in test matches when we'll start winning against them in 5 years time.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

I want BD jump to the 6th spot in ODIs at the end of the next 5 years. Don't know about T20s and Tests.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:10 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Well, within 5 years, I want Bangladesh's name in atleast world title trophy, be it world cup 2015, 2012 world t20, 2014 world t20, or 2016 world t20, but i want it to be this 2012 world t20 because world ends in 2012 december
Old June 7, 2012, 03:36 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
Well, in 5 years time, I hope we are able to dominate atleast foreign non-subcontinental teams like how sachin owns aus in this innings, and hopefully we have a world class batsman taking those bowlers to the cleaners infront of a crescendo of full house, and not like a dozen people's clapping like jaya's 100 or sanga'100 at galle or kandy. Teams should want to visit us, because of the challenges we'll provide, and the huge crowds that'll make it a much more attractive affair. Come on, thats one of the major reason why test cricket is exciting to watch in australia, england, and india, and (previously west indies), so hopefully bangladesh will justify it's cricketing madness by people flocking us to see in test matches when we'll start winning against them in 5 years time.
agree with you..in 5 years if we can win series vs non subcontinental teams in BD i'll be more then happy with that.
Old June 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

The truth is, ranking doesn't really mean much in ODI cricket, I believe the top 7 teams are all well capable to beating each other. So I would like to see Bangladesh in a position, where the Australian captain would have to really think how to win against Bangladesh and the dressing room will have a serious mood when they are facing Bangladesh. Basically, I want Bangladesh to be more than a respectable team, rather a true force in ODIs in 5 years.

However, unless we unearth any decent pacers in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us breaking the top in test matches. We still have a long, long way to go, and as I said, unless we can improve our bowling resources, we will be lagging behind even West Indies.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Well hopefully in 5 years tamim, shakib and mushy will be really experienced and basically as good as any batsman in the world, rubel will hopefully be a quality test pacer by then, anamul could potentially have 5 years of experience if he's started now and shuvagata and mominul should be better than they are now so I see that in 5 years BD's batting could actually be really really strong, the bowling it's hard to say, depends on guys like abul and elias
That's more based around individuals, What do you think the case would be when they are in a group, playing together and how do You think other's will see bangladesh cricket team i.e. how will they approach playing us

Old June 7, 2012, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
The truth is, ranking doesn't really mean much in ODI cricket, I believe the top 7 teams are all well capable to beating each other. So I would like to see Bangladesh in a position, where the Australian captain would have to really think how to win against Bangladesh and the dressing room will have a serious mood when they are facing Bangladesh. Basically, I want Bangladesh to be more than a respectable team, rather a true force in ODIs in 5 years.

However, unless we unearth any decent pacers in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us breaking the top in test matches. We still have a long, long way to go, and as I said, unless we can improve our bowling resources, we will be lagging behind even West Indies.
We need good pace bowlers, Mortaza could have been World class in test without the injuries, I honestly feel One good seam bowler will start the flow of BD producing pace bowlers, Young plaers mostly look up to rafique, now will look up to shakib - so most likely another group of decent Left arm spinners going to come along.

In test I feel that we can be in a position where people say we can win if we play well and others play poorly - a bit like ODI's now, Currently in test We can play our best Test cricket and Opposition can play there worst and even then it would be only close and we probably won't win.

Old June 7, 2012, 05:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

In 5 years i have a good feeling Bangladesh will be a force in ODI's. We will be shaky in tests only because of the structure of our FC cricket and the reluctance of other major cricketing team to play tests against us. We dont have wicket taking bowlers for tests. Nasir will mature and be a solid performer for us. Shakib will be 30

I wish Shakib could stay young.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
In 5 years i have a good feeling Bangladesh will be a force in ODI's. We will be shaky in tests only because of the structure of our FC cricket and the reluctance of other major cricketing team to play tests against us. We dont have wicket taking bowlers for tests. Nasir will mature and be a solid performer for us. Shakib will be 30

I wish Shakib could stay young.
We all hope so.
We need to produce some really good fast bowlers with a decent pace. Our batsmen needs to be more mature. They need to hold their nerves rather than playing shots and learn how to occupy the crease for long hours. And for ODIs, time will make things happen. BD has improved a lot since the past year.
Old June 7, 2012, 06:36 AM
Cricket Savant

We have deeply embedded mitigating factors such as:

1) Farcical FC infrastructure where playing picnic cricket is tolerated and neglected in favor of the DPL and now BPL (if there's a BPL 2, they gotta pay first and then spend even more in service recovery and damage control).

2) Pretty much clueless DPL and BPL "organizers" hogging the board who believe it is their GOD given right to decisively interfere in cricketing decisions.

3) Selectors, all mediocre cricketers -- guys who can't hold a candle to the new generation in terms of talent, character, skill, or technique -- selecting players on the basis of lobbying and nepotism rather than ability and statistics tempered by actual context, and leaving perpetual, gaping holes in the team. That's why our team has never been full strength, and unless we change the culture of selecting dead weight for the team, will not be in 5 years.

I projected my rankings in light of all this. Being number 5 in ODIs is doable because we play a lot of 50 over games. I feel we'd be able to beat New Zealand, West Indies and Zimbabwe pretty regularly, and run India and Pakistan through the ringer every time. Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and England would be tough but we'll take at least 1 game in a best of 5 against them.

Being number 7 in tests is also plausible because our guys with ability are developing good temperament. I think we'll beat West Indies and Zimbabwe regularly and run New Zealand through the ringer every time.

Being number 7 in T20Is is my most optimistic prediction because we're clueless in this tricky format with its own unique challenges. If we do improve, we'll do so because of a professionally run BPL and Bangladeshi players actually playing in the IPL and elsewhere.

Last edited by Sohel; June 7, 2012 at 07:19 AM..