facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 29, 2012, 02:13 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Folks, let us take a deep breath and then exhale. Slowly. Done? Okay. Now let me vent...

One can question whether he made any difference to our pace bowling during his tenure. You could check the performance of our pacers against NZ and during world cup and compare it with that of our spinners. If you did that, you'll say that his work did no good. But, if you checked our pacers' performance prior to the NZ series and compared that with the above (right way to do this), you'll see that our pacers began to affect the game outcomes---in a positive way. Anyone remember that beautiful yorker from Rubel that got the last wicket in that match against NZ that BD had no business winning? That's what Ian Pont brought to the team.

Yes, Ian might be prone to self promotion. As a Bangladeshi, that's not how I do things. But, if you have it, I don't have a problem if you flaunt it.

Finally, how many Bangladesh coaches have kept watch on the team after their tenure? This one fact is a big deal for me to ignore any minor shortcoming of Ian Pont. Clearly, he loves our country and is passionate about our cricket. He deserves our respect and goodwill, even if we don't agree with all his views.

Old November 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cricket Savant

arrreyy dosto, yaar, ma china?!?! how are you all?! wat up ma homey!

Edit: I admire the candor, tone and the articulate voicing of your post#101 Shuzi bhaia.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Very good post shuziboro. We can argue about coach Ian's work with our pacers during his tenure. We obviously have every right to do it as fans. I don't think we can argue with his passion for our cricket though and many fans here would agree with that.

One of the main things that I've really liked about coach Ian is the way he backs our best performers such as Tamim and Shakib but also backs our disappointing players such as Ash and Rocky. The only player I've seen him not be too kind to is Nazimuddin but of course I can't blame him for that. The key is that it seems he connects with our players very well.

I know it's an extremely challenging task when coming from developed countries such countries such as Australia and England to a developing country like Bangladesh. Both are very different societies and something that works in England and Australia may not work in Bangladesh. So when we find a coach that can connect with our players, that is a big bonus.

I'll admit I was unsure of how Ian would do with the Dhaka Gladiators in the BPL. After seeing his performance there, I came out impressed. Ash actually looked more at ease and played pretty consistently. Also the way he backed a young player like Anamul to go out and in the top 3 was special as well. The key to him compared to our other coaches in my opinion was the backing of our local players and not only on international stars.

Thanks a bunch for your support over the years coach Ian and hopefully you continue to stick around here on BC.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
I for once would love to hear what the students have to say about Ian. So far it has been one sided- Ian telling us about the students. Since we don't have a coach/player here talking about Ian's good/bad and you have the awesome privilege to have a conversation with national players, it would be great if you share some of your secret knowledge. I would assume at some point in your conversations you have asked them about their experiences/thoughts on Ian. I am really curious to know. We have heard players talking about Siddons/Law on occasions but never about Ian. I might have missed as well.
On my website, I have nice comments that Internationals have made about me. http://www.maverickscricket.com/what-the-stars-say.php

And here are the non-professionals who work with me 1-2-1 and in camps http://www.maverickscricket.com/test...ls.php#private

Clearly if someone said "ian Pont is Bhua" I wouldn't put that on my website but I haven't had that yet (to my face)

That's not to say people don't think I am bhua.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Very good post shuziboro. We can argue about coach Ian's work with our pacers during his tenure. We obviously have every right to do it as fans. I don't think we can argue with his passion for our cricket though and many fans here would agree with that.

One of the main things that I've really liked about coach Ian is the way he backs our best performers such as Tamim and Shakib but also backs our disappointing players such as Ash and Rocky. The only player I've seen him not be too kind to is Nazimuddin but of course I can't blame him for that. The key is that it seems he connects with our players very well.

I know it's an extremely challenging task when coming from developed countries such countries such as Australia and England to a developing country like Bangladesh. Both are very different societies and something that works in England and Australia may not work in Bangladesh. So when we find a coach that can connect with our players, that is a big bonus.

I'll admit I was unsure of how Ian would do with the Dhaka Gladiators in the BPL. After seeing his performance there, I came out impressed. Ash actually looked more at ease and played pretty consistently. Also the way he backed a young player like Anamul to go out and in the top 3 was special as well. The key to him compared to our other coaches in my opinion was the backing of our local players and not only on international stars.

Thanks a bunch for your support over the years coach Ian and hopefully you continue to stick around here on BC.
This is one of the nicest posts I have ever read. Tiger444 onek dhonyobad.

Your point about coming to Bangladesh from England as an Englishmen is well made. It took me a while to get used to life in Dhaka. Some don't ever settle.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This is one of the nicest posts I have ever read. Tiger444 onek dhonyobad.

Your point about coming to Bangladesh from England as an Englishmen is well made. It took me a while to get used to life in Dhaka. Some don't ever settle.
Thanks for your kind words Ian.

Stuart Law and Richard Pybus are recent examples of not being able to settle in to life in Bangladesh. I personally was born and raised here in the United States by Bangladeshi parents. Even when I go back to Bangladesh to visit family, I find it very tough since the United States and Bangladesh are two different worlds. So it is very understandable to see people having a hard time settling in to Bangladesh.

So when we have people that are willing to coach Bangladesh and stay there full time, that is a big plus and that's what we need. We have had too many coaches come and go over the years after coach Jamie left and it must have hurt our players' development as well. Whoever we hire next, I just hope he is commited to staying in Bangladesh for the long term
Old November 29, 2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
You could check the performance of our pacers against NZ and during world cup and compare it with that of our spinners. If you did that, you'll say that his work did no good.
Myself and Julien worked with the spinners for the time I was National Bowling Coach.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't ONLY fast bowling coach as SJ is now, and Saq is spin coach. Both departments came under my remit after Saluddin left.

We spent ages with Lala and Shuvo on flight and turn, also Ryad and Naeem. Many days in the outdoor nets by the indoor centre (if you know those) involved putting out obstacles for the bowlers to bowl over, round and through so they would practice turn and flight. LaLa's arm ball really improved. We highlighted that Shakib's arm was too low and if you recall there were newspaper articles about him not practicing enough when others were working extra hard with us.

But I am not claiming the spin success at all. I am merely pointing out that it was under my remit and lala in particular, bowled magnificently at the end of 2010. He was ranked as the number one spin bowler in the world. He took a hat trick. He was on to break the world record of three consecutive 4 wicket hauls in ODI's, too.

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh....php?p=1264139

I was coaching all the bowlers at this time - although my passion is really in pace. Don't forget I am a Level 3 batting coach too, which is why I had views on Golden Hour and nets, although that department was out of my control.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Hey coach, I actually have a question regarding the consistency of our bowlers. Bowlers have been quite successful under your tenure, but after you left they have regressed quite a bit, why is that? Do they forget what they have learn every time the coach changes or is it the techniques and advices the new coach gives that screw them over? Surely if it is the latter they can see it is not working for them and go back to the techniques/skills/advices you have taught them, from which they were successful.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Hey coach, I actually have a question regarding the consistency of our bowlers. Bowlers have been quite successful under your tenure, but after you left they have regressed quite a bit, why is that? Do they forget what they have learn every time the coach changes or is it the techniques and advices the new coach gives that screw them over? Surely if it is the latter they can see it is not working for them and go back to the techniques/skills/advices you have taught them, from which they were successful.
Those who coach the national team will tell you that you cannot assume anything is learned completely. Most of the guys need reminding and coaching again on the same points.

If you didn't remind the bowlers what they should be doing and didn't practice it regularly, you are going to expect them to regress.

This is one of the coaching methodologies that differs from say SA, England or Australia and coaches coming from those countries need to quickly understand this. Those coaches that don't, sadly will fail - very badly.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Ian, your bangla vocab is growing a lot huh!?!? have you thought about learning how to read and write ??!?!?!
Old November 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

yes he already knows pretty good bangla. i think he needs to get married to a bangali girl who will cook him some good hilsha fish. thats it he will become a true bangaleee.... adda, food and a pampering bou and shali. done.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
yes he already knows pretty good bangla. i think he needs to get married to a bangali girl who will cook him some good hilsha fish. thats it he will become a true bangaleee.... adda, food and a pampering bou and shali. done.
Hear hear...
Old November 29, 2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Myself and Julien worked with the spinners for the time I was National Bowling Coach.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't ONLY fast bowling coach as SJ is now, and Saq is spin coach. Both departments came under my remit after Saluddin left.

We spent ages with Lala and Shuvo on flight and turn, also Ryad and Naeem. Many days in the outdoor nets by the indoor centre (if you know those) involved putting out obstacles for the bowlers to bowl over, round and through so they would practice turn and flight. LaLa's arm ball really improved. We highlighted that Shakib's arm was too low and if you recall there were newspaper articles about him not practicing enough when others were working extra hard with us.

But I am not claiming the spin success at all. I am merely pointing out that it was under my remit and lala in particular, bowled magnificently at the end of 2010. He was ranked as the number one spin bowler in the world. He took a hat trick. He was on to break the world record of three consecutive 4 wicket hauls in ODI's, too.

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh....php?p=1264139

I was coaching all the bowlers at this time - although my passion is really in pace. Don't forget I am a Level 3 batting coach too, which is why I had views on Golden Hour and nets, although that department was out of my control.
I am aware of that. But, fans generally equate you with pace bowling and judge your performance based on how the pacers did. What I was trying to show was simply that our pacers became weapons under your watch. Before that Mash was probably our only pace-blowing threat. I think that if Mash had a relatively injury-free career, he would be a world-class pacer by now.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Bride Hunt thread will def. be a good place to start...
Old November 30, 2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
... I already have the bhuri
Old November 30, 2012, 05:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Those who coach the national team will tell you that you cannot assume anything is learned completely. Most of the guys need reminding and coaching again on the same points.

If you didn't remind the bowlers what they should be doing and didn't practice it regularly, you are going to expect them to regress.

This is one of the coaching methodologies that differs from say SA, England or Australia and coaches coming from those countries need to quickly understand this. Those coaches that don't, sadly will fail - very badly.
Agree to this completely. Same applies to many other fields in BD, specially the folks who don't have a high level of education.
Old April 2, 2014, 02:04 PM

18 months later and the original post is as relevant as it has ever been... so sad
Old April 2, 2014, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
18 months later and the original post is as relevant as it has ever been... so sad
Cannot disagree. Sad indeed. Particularly sad to see our nation's top cricketer being the prime exponent of our so-called excuse culture.
Old April 2, 2014, 03:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Quote:
do you believe in your sig? try and be honest mate.
Old April 2, 2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
do you believe in your sig? try and be honest mate.
Nope I don't agree with it.. players like Shakib, Anamul, Taskin, Sohag, Mushy etc are far better players than 2000.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Welcome back Ian. You are a true fan of BD Cricket.

A few of our players look lost and they need someone to guide them towards hope and make them believe in themselves...
Old April 2, 2014, 05:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Quote:
Nope I don't agree with it.. players like Shakib, Anamul, Taskin, Sohag, Mushy etc are far better players than 2000.
what would it take for you to come back and coach us as a head coach? I think we need you more as a fast bowling coach but you are a champion head coach too. what would it take?
Old April 3, 2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
what would it take for you to come back and coach us as a head coach? I think we need you more as a fast bowling coach but you are a champion head coach too. what would it take?
My door is always open to help anyone if they ask. But we all know the BCB is not going to ask.

Generally, I think people confuse a great player as being someone who is a great coach. Or a popular person as the right choice for an important role. The truth is that if a coach is 'popular' with the players he might be popular because he is soft on them, or he can be easily manipulated.

Some of the best head coaches are not afraid to make tough decisions and ruffle a few feathers. Like him or loathe him, JS was such a coach. He was liked by some of the squad but not by others. But ultimately, whether you are a nice guy, tough guy or you talk a lot - you had better back it up with results.

I think Bangladesh needs to appoint successful coaches, not cheap ones or ones who are 'available'. The problem is always, and remains, that a HC of Bangladesh is unlikely to have the power to make the sweeping changes needed - whilst retaining the backing of the board.

You already had the every best guy for the role in my opinion, Richard Pybus. He walked away because of the reason above. I cannot stress how good a coach RP is and he would have, had he been allowed to, created an environment of winning and a culture of change.

The issue remains with the structure and control of the game, plus allowing the players to effectively do as they wish and take little responsibility or anyone takes any accountability. It really doesn't matter who you get as a HC whilst this is the situation.

Players like Anamul, Taskin and others will come through anyway. In a population of 180 million it is inevitable. Coaches like RM are doing a great job with the development of fresh faces, but his hands are tied.

The BCB could appoint Gary Kirsten, Andy Flower and Darren Lehmann all at the same time, but unless they are allowed to make changes and be backed up, then I don't see the point. You might be able to get short term wins but over time, the level remains static. In 14 years of Test status, unless something is changed, you end up with similar results. The players might be better but the rest of the world also gets better.

I don't see a way forward, except everyone involved with the game looking in the mirror and asking "am I doing my very best for the benefit of Bangladesh Cricket?"

In that question, is the solution.

Last edited by Ian Pont; April 3, 2014 at 01:31 AM..