facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 5, 2008, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Apartheid in Qatar (Asians whipped for trying to enter malls)

wonder what Shardul Bhai thinks of this.......

Qatar police use whips and sticks on Asian labourers
Thursday, 02 October 2008

DISCRIMATION: Asian bachelors say they are singled out for unfair treatment by the authorities in Doha. (Getty Images)Groups of Asian single men were beaten with whips and kicked during a police operation to prevent them from entering Doha’s popular souq areas on Wednesday, Qatar daily the Gulf Times reported.

Heritage Police Officers used stick-like instruments to herd labourers away from cordoned areas along Grand Hamad Avenue, the paper said on Thursday.

When one officer was asked why such force was being used, the paper said he replied: "They are not allowed inside this family area." He then explained that whips were being employed "because they do not understand".

Although policemen usually patrol the Grand Hamad area on Fridays, they tend to be plainclothes officers who do not carry weapons such as those used on Wednesday, the paper said.

The Gulf Times reported one officer using his whip on five separate occasions within a ten-minute period, even running to catch people before hitting them.
Other appalled witnesses said they had seen labourers being kicked by the officers if they did not move quickly enough.

Single men have long been turned away from this particular souq area at weekends, with policemen citing it as a "family only" area, it added.

The paper commented that on at least one previous occasion, there appeared to be a very clear distinction made between Western, Arab and Asian bachelors, with the first two groups being allowed unlimited access while Asians who were subjected to shouting and physical abuse in some cases.

Old October 5, 2008, 01:46 AM
Cricket Legend

In summary:

1) Asian single men are prevented from entering shopping malls in Qatar because they apparently stare at women

2) However, Arab single men are allowed, even though they harass women more aggresively than Asians (as my relatives in Qatar tell me)

Conclusion: Its ok to harass women if you are White or Arab, but if you are Asian, be prepare to be whipped for trying to enter a shopping mall.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Some comments from people living in Doha, confirming that its just racism at work, an apartheid recreated in a country with one of the highest per capita incomes......

I was in one of the malls on Wednesday and they were keeping only Asians out of the mall -- including some men who looked like Korean and Japanese businessmen. However, Arab bachelors were allowed in and my friend and I were harassed by several groups of them (not dressed in thobe, btw) who were following us around and making comments

Yesturday I was out with my friend just decided to kill time by going to City center to do shopping and enjoy bowling but was really got ashamed when we were stopped on the gate just being bachelors. Worst part was just next to us was a Westerner and Qatari and that stupid security guard allowed them to go.We are from India, well educated, decent family and well brougt up to behave in public places but we are clueless why we were stopped.
Old October 5, 2008, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Thats shocking!
Old October 5, 2008, 08:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
2) However, Arab single men are allowed, even though they harass women more aggresively than Asians (as my relatives in Qatar tell me)
Harrasment is harrasment. There is no evidence that Arabs harrass more aggressively than Asians. Sorry but you are generalising as badly as those moronic cops.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Another example of Muslim brotherhood...!!!!

Neways this is no news to me...
Old October 5, 2008, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Harrasment is harrasment. There is no evidence that Arabs harrass more aggressively than Asians. Sorry but you are generalising as badly as those moronic cops.
Erm, thats what I have seen personally, at least here.....

Anyways, what logic is there in discriminating on basis of nationality ?
Old October 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cricket Legend

This is not racism after all they are our Muslim brother; they could do whatever they like; But if Jew or christian even stare at us that is racism. If Muslim Saudi Arab do not recognize us they did not knew that there are so many Muslims in Bangladesh; they thought it is a Hindu dominated part of Pakistan; but if Jew Israel recognize us then it is an evil attempt to break the so called Muslim brotherhood.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Nothing new. Who are previledged people in the ME? Start with visa policies to jobs. Skin Adds 100-200% more value, with equal qual. That's going on for a long time in ME

There are so many such examples, you will get tired & retired.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:39 AM

This is what they've been showing on BBC World this weekend. Ironically its been hosted in Doha, Qatar... that also purports to be an intellectually liberal Gulf State.

http://www.thedohadebates.com/news/item.asp?n=3069

it'll be downloadable soon here
Old October 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

How is this NEWS? I thought it was an acceptable practice in the ME. Don't know why miskins and infidals don't just leave this heaven bound Arabs alone. They allow folks to clean the streets, bathrooms, and work in general services. what more do they want?
Old October 5, 2008, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
How is this NEWS? I thought it was an acceptable practice in the ME. Don't know why miskins and infidals don't just leave this heaven bound Arabs alone. They allow folks to clean the streets, bathrooms, and work in general services. what more do they want?
While there were similar sporadic cases in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, Qatar projects itself as a very progressive country, they are also treated very well by the USA (for allowing hosting of their forces) .....

Let no one be fooled by the false cover put up by Qatar........
and if you bring this up in front of a Qatari, the response is likely to be:

\whatever happens in the gulf countries is nothing compared to the amount of hate, racism, discrimination ...etc that goes around all the time in america. This is because such ugly things run in your stinking american blood on the day you are born

Last edited by Banglatiger84; October 5, 2008 at 12:39 PM..
Old October 5, 2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
...This is because such ugly things run in your stinking american blood on the day you are born
aaah. Prejudice and Stereotyping at its best: this really proves the point when asking them about their racism, doesnt it?
Old October 5, 2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Here in Qatar, recently they have introduced 'Family Day' for the malls where bachelors are not allowed. It is however regretful that if the bachelor is an Arab or a Westerner, he is allowed to enter the mall even on those 'Family Days'.

It is also true that everyone, be it the boss of them or the police, behaves rudely with the workers.

I went to city center many times alone, but was never a victim of such harassments.

Quote:
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
wonder what Shardul Bhai thinks of this.......
I wonder why you were waiting to see my view. I might live in an Arab country, but that doesn't mean that I will even defend the wrongdoings of the Arabs.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Shardul, I wonder how it fits your so called Muslim brotherhood. At least in Israel no Asians (except the Arabs) were treated badly because of his skin color or because he came from poor country. BTW I do think Israel treats very poorly to the Palestinians. My Filipino friend actually spoke very highly about Israil. He worked both in UAE and Israel; His opinion life is much better in Tel Aviv than Dubai. But at that time I thought that he was praising Israel because of night life. He did told me that there is discimination in UAE though he was a high skilled worker. And I think in all over West Europe and North America there is anti-discrimination law. I am not asking you to defend Arabs but please tell us about your opinion of this on muslim brotherhood
Old October 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Experience in schools with beloved Arab brothers can be worse than this and I found a lot of BD students of good and aristocratic families were happily admitting to that just to be in touch with. There are sudden comments that will just make you trip and your pure belief of Muslim unity/Brotherhood/Non-discrimination/Equality can travel down the swerage lines.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul

I wonder why you were waiting to see my view. I might live in an Arab country, but that doesn't mean that I will even defend the wrongdoings of the Arabs.
Because you are a resident in Doha; I have cousins there so know what its like, but only hearsay......so wondered if you faced problems yourself....

UAE is different, there is racism here also, but more subtle.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
At least in Israel no Asians (except the Arabs) were treated badly because of his skin color or because he came from poor country.
Actually, there is some discrimination against the Sephardic Jews by the Ashkenazi Jews in Israel; but it's nowhere near the prejudice shown against non-Arab Muslims by Arab Muslims in many Arab nations. That said, keep in mind that this reflects the mindset of the Arab ruling class, not necessarily that of the middle class Arab citizen.
Old October 5, 2008, 03:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Actually, there is some discrimination against the Sephardic Jews by the Ashkenazi Jews in Israel; but it's nowhere near the prejudice shown against non-Arab Muslims by Arab Muslims in many Arab nations. That said, keep in mind that this reflects the mindset of the Arab ruling class, not necessarily that of the middle class Arab citizen.
its reflective of racist arabs.

there is this mistaken idea that racisim infects only a certain social class, and thats wrong. classism has nothing to do with it.

my old roomates where lebenese arabs, from a middle class or upper middle class background, who grew up in saudi arabia. two of nicest muslim brothers i have ever come across.

being arab or being of the ruling class has nothing to do with being racist. racism is simply the mindset of arrogant insolent beings.

btw, the felasha jews of ethiopia also face substantial discrimination in israel.

racism really does not know any color...all groups have their racists, plain and simple.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 5, 2008, 11:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
That said, keep in mind that this reflects the mindset of the Arab ruling class, not necessarily that of the middle class Arab citizen.

Having lived for 20+ years in Arab countries, I can say that you are wrong unfortunately, in fact less well-off Gulf Arabs are much more racist , rich ruling class ones are generally snobish, however the lower- middle class ones are more likely to show blatant racism, like calling names, screaming etc.
And some of the educated ones come up with tripe like:

But in the souq situation days ago, I think they did it right...
It's only control of the situation. It only becomes racist when you sympathize for the people that was hurt and you go against the police and say it was 'inhumane'.There is absolutely no racism in Qatar or in any other muslim country. Such things happen only in the west! (read today's Gulf Times. Racism is effecting the US elections)

Last edited by Banglatiger84; October 6, 2008 at 03:32 AM..
Old October 5, 2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Having lived for 20+ years in Arab countries, I can say that you are wrong unfortunately, in fact less well-off Gulf Arabs are much more racist , rich ruling class ones are generally snobish, however the lower- middle class ones are more likely to show blatant racism, like calling names, screaming etc.
God sent Prophets...to no avail.
Hitler sent the Jews..to some avail.
America sent its bombs..to no avail.

ME folks are like roaches.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:37 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Well, you give a bunch of **** bedouins stack load of cash with no education and brain, this is what you get.

Dont worry, what goes up must come down.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Last edited by Tintin; October 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Mod - language
Old October 6, 2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Souns like you are describing the Redneck's in USA *wink*. By the way, not all redneck's are racist. My brother is one but he is a deshi redneck. There's a lot of good people who are (as they should be) proud to be a redneck.

Quote:
And some of the educated ones come up with tripe like:

But in the souq situation days ago, I think they did it right...
It's only control of the situation. It only becomes racist when you sympathize for the people that was hurt and you go against the police and say it was 'inhumane'.There is absolutely no racism in Qatar or in any other muslim country. Such things happen only in the west! (read today's Gulf Times. Racism is effecting the US elections)
Old October 6, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

truly sad! i am very angry at this and don't know what to say!
i just hope all my asian brothers, whether moslem, hindu, christian, budhist or atheist just make the living/earning they have to make and eventually get their dignity back and find their right place to live and work! peace!
Old October 7, 2008, 04:33 AM
Test Cricketer

arabs are no muslim. they are the abuser of Islam.