facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 14, 2009, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me
Default the culture thread

what are the predominant currents running through bengali 'high arts' at present? the cultural map should of course include literature, prose, poetry, drama, music, dance, paintings, and sculpture. the boundaries of high art and the more popular cultural expressive mediums like films, contemporary musical scores from films and might often be blurred at times.

i'd like to include the scope of this discussion to include the 'high arts' from west bengal, bangladesh as well as writers and artists living abroad who might allude to bengali as a common theme even when writing in other languages. works considered could be an entire body of work by a given performer, artist or writer or perhaps individual works. ideally, the writer or artist considered should still be alive or have written in this century.

Old August 14, 2009, 07:15 AM
Cricket Legend

there appears to be three members looking at this thread at present, and rather bafflingly, already a bad rating before anyone had a chance to post anything the members looking through as i write are Puck* , yaseer , BD-Shardul. i wonder who had left the bad rating..
Old August 14, 2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

This is a three-green thread. Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same BC spirit and the pride that comes with being a member of the best cricket forum out there and hence the wide misuse of the rating system.
Old August 14, 2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
there appears to be three members looking at this thread at present, and rather bafflingly, already a bad rating before anyone had a chance to post anything the members looking through as i write are Puck* , yaseer , BD-Shardul. i wonder who had left the bad rating..
I did. But changed it now.

Last edited by BD-Shardul; August 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM..
Old August 14, 2009, 09:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

How does one rate a thread?? Honestly!
Old August 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I do not know about you, but I would not wanted to be the ones toward whom a finger was pointed. Rating system is secret for a reason and it is their opinion that they express.

learn to show some respect for privacy and freedom of speech.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

All are part of Real Culture
Old August 14, 2009, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
I do not know about you, but I would not wanted to be the ones toward whom a finger was pointed. Rating system is secret for a reason and it is their opinion that they express.

learn to show some respect for privacy and freedom of speech.
that same freedom of speech should have ensured that an instant 'terrible' rating was not left on a thread to discuss and promote our cultural achievements, especially when the ratings came within 90 seconds of making the original post. perhaps this inability to appreciate what we are about, where we come from and how we feel about ourselves - essentially the lifeblood of cultural expression, is not freedom of speech.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well in an ideal world, there would be no freedom of speech. There would be only one dictator, and traitors would be whipped to damnation.

I dream of such a world.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
that same freedom of speech should have ensured that an instant 'terrible' rating was not left on a thread to discuss and promote our cultural achievements, especially when the ratings came within 90 seconds of making the original post. perhaps this inability to appreciate what we are about, where we come from and how we feel about ourselves - essentially the lifeblood of cultural expression, is not freedom of speech.
Holly sun of a ..........

You should be in politics mate, for your sheer ability to explain things the way they do. In other words, telling that your thread sucks somehow mean that someone is not showing respect to what we are. I'm speechless on your ability. Seriously, go join a political party if you have not done so already.

meanwhile, if anyone do buy into his argument, it does not matter what the subject of a thread is, it can still suck depending on presentation wording and a thousand other things. I'm not saying that was the reason the person rated it that low (I simply don't know), but you can still have a message that sucks depending on a good subject.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Well in an ideal world, there would be no freedom of speech. There would be only one dictator, and traitors would be whipped to damnation.

I dream of such a world.
Me too, as long as I'm that dictator
Old August 14, 2009, 02:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

I dream of such a world.
Until then...dudher shaad ghole mitan by being a mod.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 14, 2009, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
This is a three-green thread. Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same BC spirit and the pride that comes with being a member of the best cricket forum out there and hence the wide misuse of the rating system.
Why do you think it is a misuse? The whole point of rating is consensus. For you it is 5 stars, for some it is 1 star.... live with it. Voting up/down works extremely well..(ie digg and stuff)..... infact, every post should have a thumbs up/down icons...

anyways,
Dear Banglacricket addressed this issue very thoroughly:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...9&postcount=18
Old August 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

this discussion is perfect example, majority of us rather talk about the rating system than bangla cultural art. If I wanna know about bangla art, I will read a boring book from the library....maybe it excites some of you....so if we don't share your interest please don't take it personally
Old August 14, 2009, 04:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Until then...dudher shaad ghole mitan by being a mod.
Yes, whip Zeeshan. Pola heavy baira gese...
Old August 14, 2009, 04:44 PM
Test Cricketer

I will admit. I have absolutely no interest in this subject, but nevertheless because of this thread I went there to educamate myself. There is nothing there that I already didn't know.

Perhaps a fair question is which aspect (more specifically) about the BD culture would you like to discuss about? Me thinks, opening a general thread and have nothing specific to talk about will not yield much discussion, specially when the second post is about the rating system.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Puck bhai....I am here! I was born during our war of independence! I am a bangali neo-modernist architect!
Inshallah, another 15 years time, let me reach my mid fifties I will shine the glory of high art/architecture as a Bangali in this world!
Bhais and apas, please don't be hating dear Puck bhai for nothing! ANd please don't be hating me aither, love me and support my work, help me eat and cheer me!