facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 1, 2014, 11:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Bangladesh Cricket Needs Good Professional Coaches

When Bangladesh appointed Shane Jurgensen as permanent coach from his interim status, they said it was because the coach has proven himself, team played well under him.

But not too long before that SJ was getting a lot of stick for failing in his main responsibility which was development of fast bowling. BCB was also struggling to convince a higher profile coach to take over following Stuart Law and Richard Pybus's resignations. Salaries of such high profile coaches were also high. So perhaps decision to appoint SJ was a very convenient move. Very strange considering the very little experience the Australian had. He was axed by NZC in his previous employment due to the very little success he had with their pacers.

Despite knowing SJ is a bowling coach, BCB conveniently decided not to hire a batting coach, and clubbed the responsibility in the job description of the fielding coach Corey Richards. In this day an age of specialization where even foreign state/club teams have coaches for every discipline Bangladesh placed the entire burden on two young individuals.

Appointment of Richard McIness in BCB Academy was an excellent move, but one cant help but wonder whether RM is a lone warrior here.

Remember Richard Pybus? Well he has been appointed Director of Cricket in West Indies, helping emerging and national level players for next three years. Head coach Otis Gibson is supported by Toby Radford, Desmond Haynes (Batting Coach), Richie Richardson (Team Manager), Saqlain Mushtaq (Spin Coach). We all know the impact Saqlain has had on West Indies spinners. Sri Lanka has a great bench with Farbrace, Atapattu, Vaas, Muralitharan, Kalpage.

Bottomline when you dont have the infrastructure, domestic cricket or talent base, the least that BCB can do is have the right trainers/mentors/developers in place. So that every player gets the best attention, nurture and care.

While all of us find fault with players, lambast them, BCB musnt get away from this mess they have created.

First and foremost they must appoint a proper professional head coach with actual experience in coaching a national team or state team. No room for experimentation!

Secondly he must have support of a batting, fielding, fitness, pace bowling and spin bowling coach. No two in ones.

The Academy must also have its own set of personnel. Perhaps own bowling coach, fitness coach etc.

Perhaps one excuse that might arise is BCB doesnt have adequate resources for so many personnel, or it is unable to lure foreigners because of IPL etc. Hire locals, former players like Sri Lanka is doing. But make sure all disciplines get the attention.

Bangladesh cricket is becoming laughing stock again. Associates are closing the gap. Pretty soon the commercial aspects, the fans/support can no longer bail us out for our poor performance. Time to get serious BCB!

Old April 2, 2014, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Jeesh - FP.

Shall we?
Old April 2, 2014, 12:28 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Top post Jeesh
hope BCB will listen and take action
Old April 2, 2014, 12:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Whatmore? Fleming? Ganguly? Moody?
Old April 2, 2014, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

My Shortlist (More realistic than what others suggesting - Fleming, Moody, and all ain't happening. So this is it people):

Whatmore (Oh noooo! Dav, please come baaaackkk man!)

Ganguly (Perfect dawai/oshudh for this arrogant (i.e. Shakib and others..) and brainless (i.e. Mushy) team. Mair chara kotha nai. But p--- off BCB with his tough acts. But hey the guy knows his cricket).

McInnes (Far far far better than Jurgensen if we are thinking in terms of promoting from within)
Old April 2, 2014, 01:23 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

SJ and S Law rode nicely of BPL
Old April 2, 2014, 01:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
SJ and S Law rode nicely of BPL
I disagree, Law was and still is far better than Jurgensen. There's a reason Stuart has been promoted to Batting Coach for Australia under Lehmann, since he left Bangladesh. I won't be surprised if he became a HC again. It's Jurgensen who rode his luck. He was the "perfect coach at the perfect time" when the team was playing well. Everything fell apart since then and he hasn't been able to handle the dressing room once we started to lose again. He can barely handle the job of Bowling Coach let alone managing the entire team as a Head Coach. In fact, he was fired after we whitewashed NZ in 2010. Then Law brought him over in 2011. If it wasn't for Law, Jurgensen would have disappeared.
Old April 2, 2014, 01:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Why did we let go Saqlain. he wanted a permanent position with the young talents. Saqlain didnot wanted to travel with the national team all the time. I thought it was a give me offer from Saqlain. Razzak complained many times that there is no one in the country a spinner can go to to fix the details of his game or to work on to master newer techniques. Despite spin being our main weapon we do not have a spinning coach.

Batting wise I do not think Tamim Iqbal has progressed in last two years. When he came to the team he had only two shots and dance down the wicket. By 2010 he was playing all around the wickets. Sure he worked hard but it was possible only because Jamie was there. I honestly do not think our batsmen are getting that kind of support.

What has been the impact of Shane J. not a single fast bowler has improved. The only thing that changed during his tenure is that of the action of Rubel.
Old April 2, 2014, 01:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

In my opinion Siddons was the best technical coach Bangladesh had. That is precisely what Bangladesh always needed and needs now. Modern cricket is a game of high skill, natural talent does not take you far anymore (ash is the biggest example).

Whatmore was a motivator, hardly a technically superior coach. Stuart Law wasn't there for long.

I believe our team will get better even if the current coaches are here. But that is the natural progression as they get more experience. In fact, for that even domestic coaches will do. we need a coach who can make that upward curve steeper. I am afraid I do not think shane and the current lot had much impact.

If things are not immediately addressed, next world cup in Australia will be a disaster for our batsmen and spinners. So I totally agree with Sakib on this.
Old April 2, 2014, 01:39 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickbang
I disagree, Law was and still is far better than Jurgensen. There's a reason Stuart has been promoted to Batting Coach for Australia under Lehmann, since he left Bangladesh. I won't be surprised if he became a HC again. It's Jurgensen who rode his luck. He was the "perfect coach at the perfect time" when the team was playing well. Everything fell apart since then and he hasn't been able to handle the dressing room once we started to lose again. He can barely handle the job of Bowling Coach let alone managing the entire team as a Head Coach. In fact, he was fired after we whitewashed NZ in 2010. Then Law brought him over in 2011. If it wasn't for Law, Jurgensen would have disappeared.
lets forget what law did elsewhere, my comment was based on what he did in BD..under law we lost ODI and Test series in Zim, after that the 2012 Asia cup happened..i dont think many will disagree with me that the success was 90%+ BPL
Old April 2, 2014, 02:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_TigerZ
Whatmore? Fleming? Ganguly? Moody?
Whatmore- Might need convincing. Does he have the motivation for a second stint, after he gave his everything in the first one? One thing that might work in our favor is his rather unsuccessful Pakistani spell for which he might not get lucrative offers.

Stephen Fleming- Only interested in IPL, 1-2 months of the year. Always stated he doesnt want time away from family.

Ganguly-Definite possibility. For sure BCCI wont consider him for a coaching role. Dravid is preferred. So Bangladesh might be an opportunity for him to boost his resume.

Moody- Didnt want to coach England, didnt want to coach Sri Lanka. Only interested in IPL stints. Again doesnt want long term commitments. These days does a lot of commentary as well.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:47 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

We need a motivator for HC, technique will be plus. Ganguly fits the mold. Whatmore might fit, if interested. Also, Ian Pont might have issues, but he loves coaching in Bangladesh and fits the mold.

We definitely need batting, bowling, and fielding coaches. Plus, employ Saqlain at whatever schedule he likes. Learn to reward results!

McInnes is an asset and probably should not be given this punishment...
Old April 2, 2014, 08:48 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I second Jeesh's post for FP.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Since we are talking about coaches I think the following thread still applies

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=37320

 এই দলটাকে আপনি খুব ভালোভাবে জানেন। আপনার মতে পরবর্তী কোচ কেমন হওয়া উচিত?
সালাউদ্দিন: আমি মনে করি, এখনো আমাদের প্রয়োজন একজন টেকনিক্যাল কোচ। অনেকে বলতে পারেন জাতীয় দলে কোচের মূল কাজ ম্যান-ম্যানেজমেন্ট বা মানসিকতা নিয়ে কাজ করা। কিন্তু বাস্তবতা হলো, আমরা এখনো ওই জায়গায় যাইনি। অন্যান্য দেশে ক্রিকেটাররা মোটামুটি তৈরি হয়ে জাতীয় দলে আসে। আমাদের এখানে বেশির ভাগ ক্ষেত্রে এসে তৈরি হয়। নিজের অভিজ্ঞতা থেকে বলি, বোলিং গ্রিপ বা ক্যাচিং পজিশনের মতো বেসিক ব্যাপারও আমাকে শেখাতে হয়েছে, অন্যান্য দেশে অনেক ছোট থাকতেই যা শেখানো হয়। কিন্তু আমাদের তো তৃণমূল পর্যায়ে এমন কাঠামো নেই। এই মুহূর্তে টেকনিক্যাল কোচই আমাদের জন্য সবচেয়ে উপযুক্ত।
Old April 2, 2014, 08:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

We need a technical coach. I am still sold on Jamie.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Tom moody would be a good choice for us.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:29 AM
Cricket Sage

SJ has two fold probelma as a head coach.

1. Not a good enough technical coach: That we all figured it out for a while now.

2. Too soft as a head coach: That we slowly figured it out in 2014.

You can mitigate #1 by only providing him with solid technical coaches ( Batting, Fielding, Bowling). But I assume, BCB want's the head coach to pick up atleast one of the areas.

You can over come #2 only if you are surrounded with a strong supporting cast and a very capable and no-nonsense captain. And that means the players by default are more professional and technically solid. But that is not the case in Bangadesh team.

And that's why most likely SJ will continue to fail as Bangladesh's head coach.

I don't see Siddon comming back at any capacity. As a head coach he has the same problem as #2 (mentioned above). Plus he have other problems: Fundamentally he beleived on working with same core of players (14-15) for 5+ years, that's not the reality with BD cricket, New and promising players need to be accomodated as we often listen the excuse that we don't have a replacement for player "X" or player "Y". In top of it, I believe Siddon burnt the bridge with his old employer, he have done a cardinal sin.

I don't believe Dav will do much help at the current stage. He has similar issue as #1 ( mentioned above). He is a motivator, and inspire team to miracle wins in once in a blue moon, not expected to win in a consistent basis. Plus he also has some serious bagage: Will he start looking for next job with-in six month's of joining bangladesh team? Still remember his naked job hunting while team is still under his leadership and playing games? The other quesion is: if he is that good how come he didn't managed to get the India's job? He took the risk and took lower position to prove himself to BCCI and failed to convinvce BCCI. And further more how come he couldn't retain his job with Pakistan? So I am not that much eager to bring him back.

Law , Pybus and other? They don't want the job. What's the point to bring someone who is not eager to get the job in the first place?

Nana Bhai? I don't think he will be offered by BCB. They (BCB and the caoch) may not have the best relationship for BCB to come back to him again. So pointless to talk about him as a potential head coach.

Dada? Don'tt know I have a mixed feeling. He will have no problem related to issue #2 (stated above), but he also need to be surrounded with good and hard working coaches as he will not going to sweat much in the field. Plus lot of risk involving his selection. Will he be committed long term and full time? Is he patient enough with our boys in practice as Rahim has said they are slow learners? With no coaching experiece, how hard it will be for him to overcome that?

So yes, I also want to see a new coach. But I want someone new, someone who doesn't have the two problems that I mentioned above. I think we need to find someone who is technically good and relatively low profile, young and promising, and finally a strict and fair person. Let's not go for high profile coaches.

btw I am a McInnes fan and wouldn't mind his promotion as our head coach.

Last edited by Fazal; April 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM..
Old April 2, 2014, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafizraju
Since we are talking about coaches I think the following thread still applies

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=37320

 এই দলটাকে আপনি খুব ভালোভাবে জানেন। আপনার মতে পরবর্তী কোচ কেমন হওয়া উচিত?
সালাউদ্দিন: আমি মনে করি, এখনো আমাদের প্রয়োজন একজন টেকনিক্যাল কোচ। অনেকে বলতে পারেন জাতীয় দলে কোচের মূল কাজ ম্যান-ম্যানেজমেন্ট বা মানসিকতা নিয়ে কাজ করা। কিন্তু বাস্তবতা হলো, আমরা এখনো ওই জায়গায় যাইনি। অন্যান্য দেশে ক্রিকেটাররা মোটামুটি তৈরি হয়ে জাতীয় দলে আসে। আমাদের এখানে বেশির ভাগ ক্ষেত্রে এসে তৈরি হয়। নিজের অভিজ্ঞতা থেকে বলি, বোলিং গ্রিপ বা ক্যাচিং পজিশনের মতো বেসিক ব্যাপারও আমাকে শেখাতে হয়েছে, অন্যান্য দেশে অনেক ছোট থাকতেই যা শেখানো হয়। কিন্তু আমাদের তো তৃণমূল পর্যায়ে এমন কাঠামো নেই। এই মুহূর্তে টেকনিক্যাল কোচই আমাদের জন্য সবচেয়ে উপযুক্ত।
Agree with this. But there is always a possibility of hiring 2-3 specialized coaches to work on batting, bowling and fielding.

Sometimes a good technician might not be a good man manager. We need that too. Lets not forget we dont have professionals like Sangakarra or Rahul Dravid or Michael Hussey in the squad who will be willing to work hard on their own.

Another element that our coach must possess is tactical knowledge. Clearly Mushfiq, Shakib etc are not the best tacticians. They need strategic input whether it is in terms of field placements, how to bowl to opposition, how to pace innings etc etc.

This is what makes Saurav Ganguly such an attractive option. Because he can offer the technical knowledge. He is quite authoritative, so will definitely be on top of things. Finally i bet he ll want to be tactically involved as much as a head coach in football.
Old April 2, 2014, 01:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Changes are coming and they might clean house with Faruk, SJ, Mushy:

দলের ওপর বিসিবির তোপ!
কাঠগড়ায় প্রধান নির্বাচক, কোচ, অধিনায়ক ও সাকিব

একের পর এক হার, সহ্য করার মতো নয়। পুরো জাতি যেখানে ভাল খেলা দেখতে উদগ্রীব, সেখানে দল দুই মাস ধরে হতাশই করেছে। লজ্জা দিয়েছে। এমন পরিস্থিতি কেন? সেই তদন্তে না নেমে কী আর বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ডের (বিসিবি) উপায় আছে। বিসিবি নামছেও। যখন নামছে, তখন চারটি নাম বিসিবির ভাবনায় এসে পড়ছে। ক্রিকেটাররা হোটেল ছেড়ে এখন যাঁর যাঁর বাসায়। শুরু হয়ে গেছে দলের ব্যর্থতা নিয়ে আলোচনা। নাম এসে পড়ছে সেই তদন্তের তালিকায় চারজনের। একটি, জাতীয় দলের প্রধান কোচ শেন জার্গেনশন। দ্বিতীয়টি, বাংলাদেশ অধিনায়ক মুশফিকুর রহীম। তৃতীয়টি, প্রধান নির্বাচক ফারুক আহমেদ। চতুর্থটি, সাকিব আল হাসান। বিসিবির এক পরিচালক সূত্রেই এমনটি জানা গেছে।
শ্রীলঙ্কার বিপক্ষে সিরিজের পর এশিয়া কাপেও জয়হীন থেকেছে বাংলাদেশ দল। এমনকি আফগানিস্তানের কাছেও হেরেছে মুশফিক বাহিনী। টি২০ বিশ্বকাপে গিয়ে হংকংয়ের বিপক্ষে লজ্জার হারের পর টানা ৪ ম্যাচ হেরেছে। মোট ৫ হারে টি২০ বিশ্বকাপের কোন আসরে গ্রুপপর্যায়ে সবচেয়ে বাজে দলের খেতাবও জুটেছে। দেশের সম্মানহানি হয়েছে। লজ্জা মিলেছে। সেই লজ্জার পর বিসিবিও হাত গুটিয়ে নাকি বসে থাকছে না। ম্যানেজার ফাইল তৈরি হচ্ছে। সেই ফাইলে কোচ, অধিনায়ক, প্রধান নির্বাচক যে সব ভুল কাজে লিপ্ত তার নথি লেখা থাকছে। ....

http://dailyjanakantha.com/news_view...4-03&ni=168747
Old April 2, 2014, 01:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I wonder what this means for Shakib and Mushfiq. Will the former not receive a NOC and the latter stripped off his captaincy.
Old April 2, 2014, 02:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Shakib will get away with harsh warning and Mushy will continue for now.
Only one will be axed, that will comedown on SJ's neck.
Old April 2, 2014, 02:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Shakib will get away with harsh warning and Mushy will continue for now.
Only one will be axed, that will comedown on SJ's neck.
That is fine. that's a good startt.

But when Mushy continue to make head scratching moves in the field, who will get the blame? The new coach?

Also when they will continue to select the final 11 that doesn't make sense at all, who will take the baame? the new head coach?
Old April 2, 2014, 03:58 PM
Test Cricketer

We all know for sure, BCB's top management can't do no wrong and they will pass the buck to the coach or captain.
In Sakib's case, yes he has a bigger mouth than common sense.
But is there any stipulation barring players from making derogatory comments to media?
If there's none, than it's BCB's fault for having a poorly written contract with players!

Last edited by meazz1; April 2, 2014 at 07:19 PM..
Old April 2, 2014, 04:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

How about Heath Steak as bowling coach and Grant Flower as batting coach?
Old April 2, 2014, 11:45 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Buh Akram Khan re dayeetto disey. Or nijer against ei toh investigation hoa dorkar stadium power failure er jonne