facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2005, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Default A Proposal: Participation of Foreign Teams in National League

I would like to bring a proposal onto the table for our National League. I think we should invite one or two A-team/Regional team from other test playing country to play in our national league.

We have currently six divisions playing at the tournament. BCB made a good decision to form balanced divisional teams for quality competition among the teams. If we invite teams from other test playing countries to play in our national league, this will not only increase the quality of the competition, it will also give an opportunity to our out-of-national-team player to play against good international standard players. National League is one of the prominent platforms for the national selectors to pick up future players for the national team. If we can ensure participation of quality international sides in the national league, it will give the selectors a great opportunity to examine performance of our domestic players. This will also increase the attraction of the league too. Inviting foreign teams in domestic competition is not a new thing. Previously, West Indies invited Bangladesh to play in their domestic competition “Busta Cup” in 2001-02 and Pakistan invited to play in their domestic competition “Patron Trophy” in 2003-04. Bangladesh-A had participated in both of the tournament. They invited our team to help development of our cricket. Why do we have to wait for others to invite us to get help? We can just use our domestic national league to use help from them. I guess provincial/regional teams from India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka might be available for participation in the competition as per our schedule. For example, Indian Ranji trophy teams like Mumbai or Delhi will be great addition to our league.

I would like to have some discussions on this issue. Due to wide spread participation, this cricket forum has good impact power on Bangladesh cricket now. I hope with our discussion on this issue, we will be able to bring our thoughts into the attention of BCB.

Old February 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Participation of foreign teams is a much better idea than participation of foreign players for various domestic teams.
Old February 14, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

agreed....would love to see more competition in the national league.... foreign teams will not only improve the standard of the current league, but will make the league much more interesting......
Old February 14, 2005, 11:42 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Courtney Walsh

Mr. BabuBangla...I think u should be the BCB president not Lobby. I will vote for you. Very good idea.
Old February 14, 2005, 11:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

money might be a BIG problem cause team from any other country other than india/pak or sri will ask for more money....so i think the other option to bring plyrs from diff country migh be feasible.. also to add to that plyr has to either batsman or bowler no allrounder should be allowed cause then it will be seen that same plyr is batting and bowling great to win matches for a team...
Old February 14, 2005, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Excellent idea

Is there any way to deliver this proposal to BCB?
Old February 14, 2005, 01:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

its too early for this idea, first we need to have quality teams in our own domestic structure. We can only invite the likes to some clubs from Zim or Kenya!
Old February 14, 2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

There is no money for it. Each player currently makes 400 taka per day. Thats around 65-68 USD per day. Which team will come to play for that?
Old February 14, 2005, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

U-19 national teams??
Old February 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
Cricket Legend

If you want to invite foreign teams, the match fee has to be different than the domestic rate. It's kind of hiring teams for our own benefit. Just think about how many local players will get chance to face a quality foreign team. It will be a great exposure for them without sending them for an oversea tour or bringing them straight to the national side.
If we invite foreign teams, cost will be there, but it certainly worth it.
Old February 14, 2005, 06:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

why not allow different A or B teams play against the NL league teams
Old February 14, 2005, 07:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
its too early for this idea, first we need to have quality teams in our own domestic structure. We can only invite the likes to some clubs from Zim or Kenya!
You are right. Get Mashonaland or some team like that from Zimbabwe. That is all that would provide even competition. Because if you bring a team like Mumbai or something they will win all the games.
Old February 14, 2005, 10:41 PM
Test Cricketer

At the moment the standard of our domestic cricket is not that high. That's why it would be best if we could have Zimbabwe A (provided they play very badly against Bangladesh A this series) play in our national cricket league. Also, it would be awsome to have teams from other countries that are a little lower in class than the fully fledged domestic league playing teams (e.g. instead of having the full strength Mumbai team come, we could invite a Mumbai A team). Inviting Kenya, might be another good idea. Of course this will cost a lot for our board, but if we have the funds, think about how fast our domestic cricket standard would improve if we had 3 or 4 foreign teams participating along with our existing 6 "raging" divisional teams!
Old February 15, 2005, 12:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

this is not really any different from what i said earlier!
Old February 15, 2005, 01:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

i dun understand how a less strong team can help our cricket...i mean isnt the main idea is to play a better team so that our youngster can learn from them... exposure to a good team will only gona help where some team from kenya or zimbabwe is not gona help...they will deliver same quality that we have right now....they will just look different thats all...
Old February 15, 2005, 02:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
i dun understand how a less strong team can help our cricket...i mean isnt the main idea is to play a better team so that our youngster can learn from them... exposure to a good team will only gona help where some team from kenya or zimbabwe is not gona help...they will deliver same quality that we have right now....they will just look different thats all...
both kenya and Zim A are much better sides than ANY national league divisional side.
Old February 15, 2005, 02:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Good proposal.. no doubt.

But Two things must be insured:

1. Good Standard Teams should be selected and invited.
2. more importantly... Domestic league has to be made more professional and financial capability to afford foreign teams has to be arranged also..

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 7:44 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old February 15, 2005, 04:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

What nation would send its teams here to play in our LOW grade domestic compitition?

The best thing for us will be for forign players to play in our league, like good young spiners from inida/srilanka or pace bowlers from pakistan are the best options. WE need to produce good solid batsmen for the future.

I doubt any players form non-third world nations will come to bd to apply their trade.
Old February 15, 2005, 07:11 AM
Club Cricketer

again as I mentioned on the other thread, if we have to accept the 2-tier system, the icc should at least force the 8 members to send either their A-/B teams or the strongest domestic club each year from two countries each on rotation basis to take part in our domestic first class competition, whereby the expenses of such tours of the foreign teams has to be paid by the respective countries (cricket boards).
I think such tour cost will be much less than the cost of a of a series (2 test+3 ODIs) with BD, ZIM in their countries.
Old February 15, 2005, 07:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

That would mean the future of cricket in countries like India, australia, south afirca will be playing on a regular basis against teams like BD, Zim which could jepordise the players ablity to hit the big time or make the cricket in the country decress in standard.

I doubt it'll happen. Maybe if bd, zim played teams like scotland, ireland they would improve their game.
Old February 15, 2005, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

I think our cricket standard improved a lot over the couple of years just because we got chance to play test country teams regularly. So, if you want to improve the quality of our domestic league players and want to give them the international exposure, we have to invite better teams. Why do we have to invite teams from Kenya? Is it so that we could beat them? There is no proud beating a weaker team. If we want to improve, we have to set our objective high.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Not a bad idea but there may be logistical problem. I don't exactly what is the length of the NL but if it is more than a couple of months then countries would be reluctant to keep thier teams in Bangladesh for such a lengthy period. What do you think?
Old February 15, 2005, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

The current National League is running from 8th February to 24 April. Long time indeed. But i guess match fixture could be tailored to finish foreign teams matches within convenient and comfortable time frame.

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 6:46 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

We definately owe The West Indians, Pakistanis and Indians an opportunity to send their 'A' teams to our 1st class competition.
Old February 15, 2005, 09:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by reinausagi
We definately owe The West Indians, Pakistanis and Indians an opportunity to send their 'A' teams to our 1st class competition.
Why do yo say that?